• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Dis Vet heading to US/IOA and I need help

Dimples1973ca

Mouseketeer
I need some expert advice. We are normally WDW visitors. We decided to not do WDW this year because of the poor Canadian Dollar but in February I came across a great room rate with Air Transat for a family suite at Cabana Bay for 7 nights (3a 2c) and flights for 5 from Halifax less than $2800 total. So I could not resist! :)

So now I am a week out from our trip and I have no idea what to do. LOL. With WDW, It was easier because you are kinda regimented in what you plan and when. This appeals to my Type A personality. LOL

So my questions are:

1) We are there for 7 nights. What should I buy for tickets?
2) We plan a day of shopping.Where are the outlets? Is there a place to find good deals on Under Armour?
3) We have a van rented and will need to get some water and grocery items. Any suggestions on where to go?
4) Is there some sort of "Dollar Store" around? We are traveling super light and will need cheap ponchos etc.
5) Are there any offsite restaurants that are a must do?

Thanks for reading!

Lori

We're there nearly the same time as you.....and the Cabana Bay suites are wonderful.
We don't usually have a car so my ability to offer advice is limited.
As to #1...how many days to you plan on spending in the parks? You could easily do all 7 if you want but I am guessing more like 4 or 5? I think more than four park-to-park days is still the magic number price-wise to get an annual power pass. Check Undercover Tourist for pricing as they nearly always have some special on multiday tickets.
This is what we did for our trip last year.....and ours next week is the second visit on the passes.
#3....there is definitely a Publix nearby as we usually ask the driver to stop there for groceries from the airport.....though, I don't have an address, sorry :(

That's all I've got....have fun and maybe we'll see you there. :P

Take a look at the power pass - make sure you look at the blackout dates - it's not much more than the 4 day pass.
Even if you are planning on shopping one day you could go over for the early open and get an hour or two .

4) Is there some sort of "Dollar Store" around? We are traveling super light and will need cheap ponchos etc.
Not aware of one specifically - but I recall them being all over the place at least selling cheap souvenirs - but may not be worth the hassle

There are a lot of restaurants on site between all the hotels and city walk and the parks - so I cant see going off site with so many options - a lot of the places in city walk have deals at lunch time (and maybe happy hour as well) as well so check that out

I need some expert advice. We are normally WDW visitors. We decided to not do WDW this year because of the poor Canadian Dollar but in February I came across a great room rate with Air Transat for a family suite at Cabana Bay for 7 nights (3a 2c) and flights for 5 from Halifax less than $2800 total. So I could not resist! :)

So now I am a week out from our trip and I have no idea what to do. LOL. With WDW, It was easier because you are kinda regimented in what you plan and when. This appeals to my Type A personality. LOL

So my questions are:

2) We plan a day of shopping.Where are the outlets? Is there a place to find good deals on Under Armour?
3) We have a van rented and will need to get some water and grocery items. Any suggestions on where to go?

Thanks for reading!

Lori

There is an outlet centre at the top of I Drive........only a 5 minute drive from Universal. Also a couple in Lake Buena Vista, around a 20 minute drive away.

Walgreens, Walmart and Publix are all close by.

There's a Dollar store right next to Bed Bath and Beyond on I Drive.......just before you hit the outlet centre.

Many offsite restaurants around.........we always go offsite for many meals on our trips.

Teak Neighborhood Grill is a must do. 5-10 minutes drive from Universal. Best burgers around.......and quite unique.

Bubbalous Boadacious Barbeque......again a few minutes away.

Yard House at the Orlando Eye was excellent.

There's so many more........

A quick Google will give you all the addresses of places above......

Hope you have a wonderful trip :thumbsup2

Just a suggestion since you're there for 7 days with kids, you can pool hop to all the other universal resorts and check those out. The easiest way is to take the CB bus to Citywalk and then catch one of the water taxis. It's a fun (and free!) activity when you're looking for a park break.

Walk mart few blocks away. Actually a nice one. Cabana bay is a fun hotel. Movies by the pool. Mini golf on property. Movie theatre if you want to get out of heat. Lots of local stuff. Two Disney outlets if you want cheap stuff.

The Cabana Bay sounds nice -- haven't stayed there yet. But the front-of-line privileges when you stay at the Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, or Portofino Bay make the upgrade worth it. Hope you enjoy! Universal Orlando is our "happy place" -- and we live on the west coast.

Schumi, there's a Yardhouse in Orlando???? Nice! (Only place we know with a Gardein (fake meat) menu!)

Schumi, there's a Yardhouse in Orlando???? Nice! (Only place we know with a Gardein (fake meat) menu!)

Yep.......It's right beside the Orlando Eye and only opened last year.............:thumbsup2

I did see that Gardein stuff on the menu.......they do seem to offer a decent choice for vegetarian options, I didn't pay a lot of attention to it....... but did see someone order the Gardein version of orange peel "chicken" and it did look nice. I think you'd probably enjoy it......lovely place too.

http://www.yardhouse.com/menu-listing/eat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter