Another death after riding Mission Space

TimNDansMom

DIS Veteran
A 49 year old woman became ill Tuesday afternoon, after riding M:S and was taken to Celebration Hospital where she later died. Here is the story on CBS News

That is terrible! I feel empathetic for both the family and for WDW. Disney is getting awful publicity from this ride, yet all of the deaths related to this ride are from medical conditions. It's too bad that people decide that they can ride it despite their health conditions and the warnings along the ride queue.

It's very sad.

Always bear in mind that someone could have a "pre-existing condition" and have no clue. The fact that this has happened twice in recent history on this ride is attracting a lot of attention, due specifically to the location. People die from pre-eixting conditions while driving their car, jogging, or shoveling snow. The fact that it has happened on a ride at WDW is a major media focus.

I rode MS with my DS and DD and we all loved it and felt no ill effects. Many, many people do feel ill after this ride (thus the barf bags). I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but I can't draw a conclusion between motion sickness and death.

Meanwhile... prayers go out to this poor woman's family.

They say both the woman and the child who died earlier had pre-existing heart conditions. The scary thing is, you don't know if you've got a heart condition often until something catastrophic happens. The parents of the child who died did not know. I wouldn't go on this one anyway since I get bad motion sickness but I'm not letting my 6-y-old on it now, just in case. Dh can go if he wants, he's a big boy.

This is truly a terrible tragedy for the women's family, and the family of the young child that had passed away last year (bringing up fresh wounds). My hearts go out to all.

This is not a ride though that my whole family is a fan of. My DD and I love all sorts of rides, but this one left my whole family disoriented and nauseous and dizzy for a very long time afterward. Others, of course, do not have that experience, but for us, once was definately enough.

That is so sad. :sad2: I'm really too afraid to ride this attraction as I've heard some wild stories about it. :sad2:

This truly awful. My DD-10 and DD-5 and I rode it last April and we enjoyed it. It is definitely not for everyone. If you have any issues with dizziness you should not go near it. My DH has vertigo problems and was going to attempt the ride but this ride has the most signage and warnings of any ride I have ever seen in Disney, if this doesn't convince someone not to go on it then nothing will. The warnings convinced him.

The sadest thing is anyone can have an undiagnosed medical condition that can become active without warning. Look at all the athletes that have undiagnosed heart conditions. You just never know.

It is a terrible tradegy and my heart goes out to the family. Its not the kind of memories one wants to bring home from Disney.

Caught the news last night, and it was reported she had a brain bleed, but also had a history of very high blood pressure.

Last year while riding Disney transportation, the bus driver was talking about that ride and just from the stories he told about what happened during the testing phase, the employees were the guinea pigs, I wouldn't even consider riding it nor will I allow my kids to ride it. I wouldn't want to take the chance of being nauseated and vomiting after going on a ride - not my idea of fun. :crazy:

I was very reluctant to try Mission Space after all the stories I heard. I hate "spinning" rides (I feel like vomiting after riding that spinning "teacups" ride at fairs). But I got brave when we were there, even after reading all of the warning signs going in. I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I actually loved this ride and I and my family rode it twice. They warn you to always look straight ahead - don't look to the side and don't close your eyes. I did look to the side once, to see how my son was doing, and I felt instantly dizzy. But once I looked straight ahead again, I was fine.

But obviously, one should take the warning signs very seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter