• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another day, another death thread: Girl dies at one of the water parks

I do not know why they need water stations when you can just walk up to the food service areas and ask for a cup of water. You can even buy a bottle of water if you need it. There are water fountains, too. I know some folks think the water tastes bad, but if it's a necessity, it's a necessity.

please remember that not every theme park attraction is suitable for every "body". Age, weight, height, and health are important. As adults, and as parents, our judgement can make the difference between a fun time or a disappointing, even tragic, experience at a park. We can't depend on the park itself to make those decisions for us (including keeping hydrated and cool).

Well said, noopy. Looking at any situation and making a judgement for yourself and/or your family IS an adult responsibility. I love the wave pool just as it is, and so do all members of OUR family. Does it make it an attraction suitable for Joe and Josephina Blow? and their family? Only they can say. But PLEASE don't blame the attraction.

We must be an oddity but our family didn't mind the water taste at all. We filled up our water bottles before we left the hotel, and filled up when we emptied them in the park. We also sometimes used our snack credits for water as well. AND we got a water fan. Some people have found adding Crystal Lite to the water was helpful.

I feel so bad for the girl and her family. I suspect dehydration had something to do with it.

We, too, fill our water bottles from the fountains and don't notice a bad taste ("taste" is relative to what you're used to). This past trip we took the little individual pkts. of Crystal Lite to use, but mostly drank the water plain.

Anyone remember ICE STATION COOL at EPCOT? Now that's what they need -- except have flavored water and various "sports" drinks instead of sodas. With Disney's "themes" just think of the possibilities for fun names and ideas!

We were at WDW a few weeks ago, but didn't do a water park (short trip). It was very hot and just walking around was taxing, even for my DS (10). We did go to TL back in May, and while it wasn't AS hot, the heat was a problem (well, when it wasn't raining, that is). And yes, as someone else posted, you do still have to push fluids even at a water park.

2441PHILLIP_WATER_POSE_WDW_2005.JPG

This is DS (then 9, now 10) in May at AKL.

First, I am not putting blame on the relatives- a tragedy can happen anytime, even under close supervision- I just wonder where everyone else was at the time. My children are still younger, but I really don't think I would let one of them go anywhere alone at that age. I think sometimes because it is Disney there is a false sense of security, but you never know what might happen- It is a terrible tragedy-hopefully the family will get some answers.

And we wonder why our children have a problem with reading comprehension! I think this thread and post explain it all.

joece said:
WE WERE THERE WHEN THIS HAPPENED!

WE SAW LIFEGUARDS RUNNING TO THIS GIRL!

I just came back yesterday from WDW and TL Wave Pool looked very dangerous. We never go in wave pools because of there danger and past experience. These wave pools are just not safe!

TDC Nala said:
I do not know why they need water stations when you can just walk up to the food service areas and ask for a cup of water. You can even buy a bottle of water if you need it. There are water fountains, too. I know some folks think the water tastes bad, but if it's a necessity, it's a necessity.

can you ask for a cup of ice water if you're not buying anything?
i've seen people taking ice out of the carts where bottles are kept cold...
I saw this a lot a few weeks ago......

i've never thought to ask for a cup of ice water when i wasn't buying anything else...

disneyholic family said:
can you ask for a cup of ice water if you're not buying anything?
i've seen people taking ice out of the carts where bottles are kept cold...
I saw this a lot a few weeks ago......

i've never thought to ask for a cup of ice water when i wasn't buying anything else...

Yes, it is just tap water (not bottled water), but they will give you a cup and ice and there is no charge.
DJ

Disney does provide "water cooling stations"--they're called water fountains. You know, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink--it's up to individual people (parents) to actually drink the water, or see that little ones drink enough.

Unfortunately, our society pushes "juice" on kids from birth, so many little kids won't drink water, don't like it, or won't think of it at all. I see it all the time at our scout troop events, school events, etc. When kids need a drink, they always give them "juice boxes"--look in all the lunchboxes at school: juice boxes. What can they buy to drink? Milk or juice. Why won't our society give kids water? Most parents and teachers are amazed to see my dd request and prefer water over juice or milk. Ok, sorry for the slightly OT rant, but this is one of my pet peeves. ;)

Not sure what happened in this case, but I do feel for the family. I know the one and only time I was in a wave pool it was physically overwhelming, and I am apprehensive about trying it again. (I was in high school then)

We buy lots of bottled water at WDW--cases for our hotel room, and we carry bottles everywhere--just like at home. I don't consider it an extra expense--on the contrary--I consider it a required expense--and we don't even go in summer!

I think you guys summed it up quite well.
-Where were the parents/"responsible adults"?
-Did the girl eat/drink anything in the past few hours?
-How come the Lifeguards noticed her distress before the people she was with?
Maybe they were on the phone with their lawyer.
Another senseless tragedy. :sad2:

Maybe I'm the one with the comprehension problem....or did I miss it....but where has anything been shown that this death was caused by dehydration?

Ya'll know there are some deaths that parents, first-aid responders, paramedics or doctors can't avoid. Maybe that's not the case here, but maybe it is.

BrianMonk said:
And we wonder why our children have a problem with reading comprehension! I think this thread and post explain it all.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, and I have been teaching reading comprehension successfully for 15 years! Are you being serious or sarcastic? That post was the one I commented on because no one has all of the facts. Stating that the wave pool "looked dangerous" implies that the person feels the attraction may be to blame. We don't know if she was injured or dehydrated, so comments like this concern me. Since this post does not "explain it all", perhaps you were being sarcastic! :rolleyes:

Water at waterparks....I see what everyone is getting at. Yesterday I was at Water Country USA (Busch Gardens waterpark). We were in the low 90s with high humidity and the park was packed. I saw tons of little kids crying to their parents that they were thirsty and wanted sodas, etc. Some of the parents didn't even respond or look down. It seemed many of the 2-5 year olds were hovering on the edge of heat exhaustion (listless, red faced). Busch Gardens does an excellent job of distributing water fountains through the park (with cold water even), and also have an in-park refillable mug program. There is no excuse for this...but it still happens. I think people just don't understand the seriousness of dehydration and heat illness.

There is no indication that the death of the 12 year old girl at TL was due to any of this, but I am very glad the possibility was brought up and some discussions started on it. I think it would be great if there was a " Best health and safety" tips sticky thread at the top of the Family Board forum.

What really bothers me about this story is the fact that it's always covered the same way. At the end of story, they meantion the little boy in MS. This is being covered as if Disney did have some culpability in these deaths. The 4 year old was tall enough to ride the ride and so far, I've heard nothing to indicate that the ride or any CM was at fault. The girl at TL; Haven't heard anything here that would indicate that any CM or ride was at fault. The girl at ToT; there was no way for her mother or Disney to know that she had an aneurysm.

Look at the daily average attendance of WDW. How much is that, 30K, 40K? So think of it as a community of 30,000. How many deaths in a year do you have in a community of that size? When you have a death in THIS community, each is covered as if Disney were at fault.

They really should change the name from the Happiest to the Safest place on Earth!

noopy said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, and I have been teaching reading comprehension successfully for 15 years! Are you being serious or sarcastic? That post was the one I commented on because no one has all of the facts. Stating that the wave pool "looked dangerous" implies that the person feels the attraction may be to blame. We don't know if she was injured or dehydrated, so comments like this concern me. Since this post does not "explain it all", perhaps you were being sarcastic! :rolleyes:

The post referrence/quoted joece and I was being sarcastically serious. :teeth: I "think" we're on the same page here.

The post directly implies the wave pool is too dangerous for use and it's the wave pool that was involved with the death. Yet, nowhere has been shown to be true. Nowhere, nada, zippo. That's the problem with the post.

Causation, in this case, could be from a multitude of things. From what I've seen, as of yet, we have no idea what that causation is. Time will tell.

nanalisa said:
It's so stange to think we were just in the TL wave pool with our 8 yo granddaughter 11 days ago. Is it a coincidence that all of the tragedies have been children? The heat index was 110 while we were there and you cannot drink the water at MK, you have no choice but to buy it and I don't think twice about it. During the hot months I think Disney should set up water stations. How much could it cost? Goodwill and concern for your patrons goes a long way.

Prayers to the family who lost their daughter. How awful would it be to be so far away? Bless her little heart.

Disney had water stations (large coolers of water and paper cups) when we were there in May 2004.

disneyholic family said:
my first thought was dehydration...people in water tend to not think about drinking because they don't feel hot............

Yea, I agree. I was thinking of that too. :guilty:

Paramedics here can only call a Death if a decapitation has occurred.

I don't know where you heard this, but it is not True.
I am a florida paramedic and we can call patients as we need to. The only way an EMT can call a pt is if there is brain matter showing ordecapitation. Reedy Creek FD has 4 stations located on property, where even the longest response from the farthest station from TL is 5 minutes. RCFD transports to either Florida hospital Celebration Health ( 8 minute transport time from TL) and Orlando Regional Sand LAke Hospital ( 12 minute transport time from TL). ALS intervention was in place withing 3 minutes from time of call.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter