Another Dave Ramsey ?

starann

In having children, I have lost my mind, but found
If I am just starting out with Dave Ramsey ,which book does everyone reccomend? Should I get the book, or the workbook?

DH and I got that book a couple of months ago. Already paid off 2 CC and working on car and one more CC. Hope to be debt-free with just the house by end of year.

If I were you, I would do my best to either go to a Financial Peace University or order the kit to do it at home. Here's why:

I have been a fan of Dave Ramsey for a few years. I started listening to his radio show until the station stopped carrying it.

I wanted to start so I got the the TMM book. We read it. While DH is not a big spender, and could save cash like crazy, I am the one who wanted to do it but couldn't quite commit all the way so we didn't do it.:confused3

We are in our 4th week of Financial Peace University @ our church. My DH was skeptical about spending the $100 to do it (my lack of commitment), but is now soooo into it! We have all of the budgets, allocations, etc. and we are now starting our debt snowball. Just by telling our money what to do, instead of our money telling us, he feels so liberated! While I have committed to doing it, I still feel nervous about it, like I might fail.

It is different doing FPU as apposed to doing TMM by itself. I'm sure it has been done, but just listening to DR he really makes you think about things.

If you can only afford the TMM book, then by all means, at least do that. In fact, I think I saw that all of his books were $10 right now.

I second the FPU class! We are taking ours online right now - and we love it!
It has brought DH and I closer together and we are super pumped about it all!

You can listen to his show for free and if you have Fox Business Network then watch his show at 8PM EST/7PM CST nightly. Also go to his website and look around. I would look into checking his Total Money Makeover book at your library. You could always buy it used from ebay or a similar site. I personally didn't spend money on the budget worksheets. You can print copies for free off the net.

Jasmine, we are so "pumped" as well. We already paid off our first small debt and are anxious to start the next one! I also agree about it bringing us closer. I am the "free spirit" he is the "nerd".
Hopefully all of this will just become habit!
It's nice to hear of other people doing DR (as my DH calls him) as well. DR seems to be on my shoulder at all times now it seems even though we have just started.
I like that we had time to talk about it and get used to the idea by planning, etc. and now that we've started it's not so scary.
It's a lot like losing weight, you have to get your head around it or you are not going to be ready to do it.

Any tips you could share would be great!

I third the FPU suggestion! That class changed our lives. If you do it, I strongly encourage you to commit to doing things "Dave's Way" for at least the 13 wk duration of the class. There were several things I didn't like - particularly shopping for groceries with cash. However, almost 2 1/2 years from our class and 1 year from becoming debt free, I am still grocery shopping with cash. Why? Because it works for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter