Another college thread... choosing your school

Do any DII's offer that program? At least then she could get some $.

In Virginia, Shenandoah University is Div III and has the 5 year program. Her softball coach is confident she could play there. There are no Div II schools in Virginia. We are in the middle of cross referencing the colleges in PA and NY that have the 5 year program with the Div II and III softball list to see what pops up. Then we'll proceed from there.

My son wanted to attend a school out of state. He had attended the same small private school from K-4 to 12th, so he wanted to meet new people.

He began looking at the Naval Academy, but realized being color deficient limited his job choices with that branch. He began looking at other schools and decided that he wanted to major in engineering because he thought it paid well. He found two colleges with good engineering programs (Texas A&M and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) and toured those schools.

He applied and got accepted to both, but chose A&M because it was a military school, it was huge, he liked the feel of the college, and it had a three story gym. Even during the school tour, we saw something special with the way the Aggies seem to really support one another. It's very cool. It's like being part of a club that has 50,000 members, but makes you feel included.

Ironically, he isn't majoring in engineering. He was smart enough to realize that his weakness in math was not a good fit for an engineer. He loves his school. He really loves the three story gym.

The availability of a five year co-op program, where during the middle three years, students study for 6 months and work at a paid job related to their majors the other 6 months, getting a foothold into the real word and gaining valuable experience. Drexel in Philadelphia and Northeastern in Boston are noted for these programs, although other schools also have them.

DD is going to be a "pre-junior" at Drexel this fall. She expects to net about 12K working during the six months between sophomore and pre-junior years. I went to Drexel, so did my ex-wife (DD's mom), my older sister, and several cousins and uncles. Another cousin went to Northeastern, and a friend's son is starting there this fall.

My Dd, who generally isn't picky unless she is shoe shopping, was VERY picky when it came to colleges. I didn't expect it at all. She seemed to have a very good feel of what she wanted when we started the journey, but once we visited those schools, she didn't like them. We then switched to the complete opposite of what she originally wanted and she didn't like any of those. At that point, I was ready to smack her! lol She ended up in the middle and has been very happy (junior year coming up). She was just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears! When she stepped on her campus (which was not at all on her radar) she knew right away. She said it just felt right. Her majors weren't a factor because they are ones that are pretty much offered everywhere. All the schools offered money so that wasn't a big factor either. I have told her I will never go shoe shopping or college shopping with her again!

Mine was chosen as the best place for my given major within my home state. I was later awarded a scholarship valid at only 4 schools, and my chisen school just happened to be one of them. But, my decision had already been made.

Obviously everyone is going to have different priorities, but that's exactly why I'm posting. DD has visited 5 colleges so far (3 private, 2 public). She (and DW and I) has a "front runner". But I'm curious what led you (or your children) to pick the college they attended.

We're looking at class size, cost, college size (how much walking/shuttles), dorm options, and dining options.

So what have your decision makers been?
#1 was the program and degree it offered. This factored in to about 90% of the decision. The school he chose is top ranked for his degree program. #2 was cost and availability of merit awards.

Class size, college size, dorm and dining options were distant things we considered because they would all have to be tolerated to get into the program he wanted.

His choices were CU-Boulder, School of Mines, California Institute of Technology, Purdue, UT-Austin.

Last edited:

My parents said they'd only pay the application fees for their alma mater and for Harvard. Harvard didn't accept me.

In all honesty, I couldn't really imagine not going to my parents' school.

We are looking at colleges right now, tomorrow we are touring Stanford in Ca. My daughter is obviously looking at colleges that have what she wants to study and type of dorms, feel of the campus. Right now her number 1 is NYU, so far we looked at Dartmouth which she didn't like (to small town) and Columbia, she liked Columbia and really liked the dorms (freshmen get a private room) but she really liked everything about NYU. Baruch was on her list but the college is way downtown and the dorms are way uptown so it's like a 70 block subway ride from dorms to college and it's a dorm that houses a bunch of different colleges and they have no meal plan or cafeteria so that was crossed off her list!

Having bus to nearby stores isn't really any issue, every college kid has the Uber App on their phones, it's how we get around on vacations too. Today we used uber all over San Francisco!

Last edited:
When my son chose a college - first was pass/fail rate of nursing boards and what is offered for fail (additional course, testing practice etc).
We then considered the scholarship money. He was offered 50% tuition for 4 years at a private school. In the end it was about what a state school would charge so it was a no brainer.

Great thread idea--I love seeing the various things that are important to different people.

As a parent, the three things that mattered to enough to me to try to influence DD about were (in no particular order):

1. that it not be a "pressure cooker" school. With a few notable exceptions, most of the time an undergrad degree from a top tier school is not really that much more useful in the real world than one from a school with a lot less pressure and less competition. And if the lower pressure school gives you more time to get real world work or volunteer experience in something related to your field, make connections with people in the industry, etc then often a degree from there combined with that is better than just a degree from a "name" school (again, for undergrad). Plus, the best programs for many majors are not at the big name schools. So, I encouraged DD not to put herself through the stress of going to the best schools she could get into, and find the school she would enjoy that she could get something out of.

2. Cost. We are happy to find a way to make sure the kids graduate without debt (other than loans taken because they can be forgiven by working in their field, so no debt that will actually end up on them) but only if they choose a reasonably priced school and only if they do what they reasonably can to reduce costs via scholarships, etc.

3. Big enough that have a variety of majors so if she changes her mind about what she is currently sure she wants to do, she will have plenty of other options without transferring.

That still left a ton of choices for DD. Here is what she looked for (in no particular order):

1. Big enough to have options but still fairly small and in a small to mid sized city, the only big city she considered was Boston because "it does not have that big city feel"

2. A strong program in her major--not just offering it as an option but one with a full department dedicated to it with lots of opportunity for field experience and a high placement rate for graduates (she ended up narrowed down to 2 schools--both had 100% placement rates for full time work in the field within one year of graduation)

3. Campus and town have decent enough transit options that she will not need a car

4. Atmosphere on campus that fits her (one thing she said about her ultimate choice is that it is a school known particularly for its education and performing arts programs, and people who tend to migrate to those fields tend to be people she gets along well with. Also, their football program is almost an afterthought, sports are much more low key and the big focus is on their arts program, which suits her tastes and personality more.

5. Amount of guaranteed merit aid. This really helped narrow things down early on, before she could know what additional aid might be offered.

6. Location. She prefers snow and cold to heat and humidity. She likes the idea of being able to visit extended family over Thanksgiving, etc. She is majoring in Special Education and while she can move and transfer the license, getting licensed in a state she can easily see herself remaining in is important to her.

Taking in all of the above, she eventually narrowed it to two choices and only applied to those two (she was pretty much guaranteed acceptance to both, as well as quite a bit of merit aid at both, so not applying a lot of places was fine). Interestingly, both schools asked for dorm deposits and applications before acceptance with a promise to return the deposit if you did not attend there. One of the two was able to tell her that she would have a single room in her first choice or buildings and in the learning community she wanted to be in, before she had to make a decision, and I think knowing she could have those things there helped tip the scales in that school's favour. It was pretty smart on their part.

Last edited:
A Florida school with a good football team.
Same.

I had UF as my dream school... UCF and USF as my backups. We're a Gator family so that was the biggest reason. I love that school. The feel of it, the environment, yes the football. USF and UCF were pretty much everyone's backup schools then. They've since made names for themselves.

School reputation, strength of their specific major, cost (including scholarship money available), school size and location.

Things like dorm amenities and dining options really took a back seat.

When I was looking, my top 3 priorities were: 1. Strong in my intended major (Accounting), 2. Smaller school (I went to a fairly small high school) and 3. Out of town, but still within a reasonable drive to home (2-3 hours).

Once I narrowed the list down, it came down to the campus visits. As soon as I stepped on the campus of the school I chose, I knew that's where I wanted to go. Thankfully, I got enough scholarships to make it affordable enough to go as well. :) I graduated with a small student loan, but nothing too bad.

The first sort of schools that dd made was to find schools with her intended major. Then she threw out anything south of the Mason Dixon line. (Girl likes it cold.) She tossed out non-accredited schools and schools that were deemed 'too small.' (Good move because there were other majors that could be viable if she decided to change.) Then I got to put my two cents in by looking at what merit scholarships she automatically qualified for (ACT/GPA), and calculating what we could and could not afford. (Most hit the range we could deal with.) Then it was a matter of finding the best fit with that 'vibe.' We will find out in about 35 days if it was a good decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter