Another carnival cruise without power

Status
Not open for further replies.
ilovetexas said:
All true. Although, it's a waste of breath on this board to point out that half the rumors these people are running with are false. The Carnival Dream is not without power, it never was. There is a propulsion issue and they are keeping it in port in order to ensure that there ISN'T a bigger problem getting it back to the US. Which is what they should do.

These things happen all the time, to lots of ships, the media just doesn't report them. I can think of issues with Princess, Crystal and Celebrity off the top of my head. Oh, and here's another rather BIG ship with a propulsion issue:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/22/nimitz-problems-could-affect-san-diego-warships/

The problem with 24-hour media that is dependent on ad revenue is that news organizations report stories in a way that will entertain and draw in ratings rather than inform the populace.

This disappoints me because I actually was considering going on the Dream, Magic, or Breeze. I assumed that the newer ships would be immune to these issues. :sad2:

I actually feel really bad for Carnival. As a company, they obviously need to take a close look at their fleet and and decide if these are ships that need to be retired or if they need to rethink the maintenance routines. Either way, they need to do something fast.
As for the poor crew members aboard those ships...It sounds like they're doing a stellar job of dealing with the circumstances. :thumbsup2

Yah, you can count me as another one that couldn't be paid to step foot on a Carnival ship. However, my BIL married some woman who is OBSESSED with Carnival. They go on at least one a year. There's nothing that could scare her off of the cheap party ships and there's a lot of people out there just like her. Which is why they'll always stay in business even though they fail to maintain their ships like they should (Triumph was due for maintenance in 2011 and still hadn't gotten it) and are constantly having issues like this.

As for those saying things weren't that bad on the Triumph... :rotfl: I suppose if you think it's any better to have halways lined with bags of feces (some of which ripped open) than to have a backed up toilet, then sure. It wasn't that bad. :scared1:

WOW They're having to be flown home! Not even giving full refunds, only refunding the last 3 days.

Update on Carnival Dream
March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.
Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

Before we all start slating Carnival again, it does happen to cruise ships even Disney, although not yet. The staff of the Disney Magic have a little ryhme which I cant remember how it goes although, they say that the Magic is held together by "faith, trust and picxy dust and a huge pot of glue"

It can happen to any ship, just so happens to be Carnival decade for it after the Concordia, Triumph and Dream.

I've seen the same accounts. Much of the overflowing was due to those who continued to operate toilets after they stopped working. I've also seen accounts that the infamous "onion sandwiches" were mainly due to hoarders taking out the meat.

This is bad for Carnival, though. They may need to look at their maintenance schedules for their fleet, long term.

So the toilets aren't working so you aren't suppose to use them? Just cross your legs and wait??

McDonald5 said:
As for those saying things weren't that bad on the Triumph... :rotfl: I suppose if you think it's any better to have halways lined with bags of feces (some of which ripped open) than to have a backed up toilet, then sure. It wasn't that bad. :scared1:

I don't think anyone is saying conditions weren't bad- they just weren't as bad as media reports.

Before we all start slating Carnival again, it does happen to cruise ships even Disney, although not yet. The staff of the Disney Magic have a little ryhme which I cant remember how it goes although, they say that the Magic is held together by "faith, trust and picxy dust and a huge pot of glue"

It can happen to any ship, just so happens to be Carnival decade for it after the Concordia, Triumph and Dream.

And the Splendor.

I believe they can only fly home if they have passports!! What are the rest of them going to do?! :confused3 Another reason to NEVER sail without a passport!!!

WOW They're having to be flown home! Not even giving full refunds, only refunding the last 3 days.

Update on Carnival Dream

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.
Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

I've sailed on the Dream with my family of 5. I didn't care for the Dream at all, service was lacking when compared to the Magic that was in port the same time we were in PC. Carnival is cheap because they cheap out on many service areas. I'll never sail with them again.

Did not like the ship either. Too confusing to get around. I liked the simplicity of the Magic.

Update on Carnival Dream

They are flying them home on charters (with the option of staying in St Maarten a few days if they want and "living" on the ship which has fully functioning facilities), refunding them the portion of their cruise impacted by the problem, giving them a 50% discount on a future cruise....and that isn't enough for you? You don't want much, do you?

I believe they can only fly home if they have passports!! What are the rest of them going to do?! :confused3 Another reason to NEVER sail without a passport!!!

That is correct. The same reason you cannot Medivac back to the U.S. from a ship without a passport. We always travel with our passports for these reasons.

They're flying ALL guests home; not just those with passports.

The U.S. will deny them entry without a passport. They will need to work on obtaining emergency passport paperwork from St. Maarten, which will take probably a few days.

On this issue I think Carnival is doing the right thing. Maintenance issues can creep up regardless of the upkeep of routine maintenance. Emergencies happen all the time. They are handling it correctly by having it checked while in port.

They are also doing the correct thing by keeping everyone on board ship for the moment. Until they determine the cause, they can not determine how long it will take to fix. If they find that it might take an extended time say 12 hours to fix then there would probably be no issue leaving the cruisers off the ship with a return time.

The ship is not due back to it's port until Saturday so at this point one can not say if flight schedules will be missed.

Even with the great prices they are offering on some of their cruises - how do they fill a ship with their diminshing reputation??

I agree that they're doing the right thing. If they made the choice to risk it and leave port with a ship full of passengers and propulsion problems, they'd get blasted for taking the chance of another stranding situation at sea.
I do feel bad for any passenger who may have trouble flying back because of passport issues, but as others have said, travelling without a passport is a choice people make. We're all warned that the safest way to travel is with a passport.
As for refunds, I think they're being fair with that also. One thing we learned on our second cruise is that cruise travel is never guaranteed. Things can and do change in the blink of an eye. Our itinerary was completely changed on our cruise due to a hurricane. We had to rearrange our schedules and rebook reservations and excursions, and it was a hassle. And there were LOTS of angry passengers cursing while waiting in line at Guest Services. But at the end of the day, we were all safe and still had a good time. I think that as long as the passengers are still living under good conditions, there's food available, and they're able to enjoy the ship, then they're not owed anything. Carnival is absolutely doing right in this situation by offering to refund the last portion of the cruise. No criticism here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter