Another booking question...Wonder vs waiting for Dream

momofsamandeden

Mouseketeer
We are still in the waffling about booking because when I was talking to the TA today she mentioned that we could do two insides at the end of September for the price of what we were going to do for the Dream in March. We would be on our anniversary during that time and we would love to do a date night of Universal's Halloween like we did on our honeymoon during that time.
My dilemma is we would have to wait until the next September at least to do the Dream.

If I understand correctly, you were looking to do the Dream in March, but realized the spring break prices were so high that you'd be better off waiting until September 2011 when you could get more cruise for your money. But the thought of waiting that long has you wondering if you should cruise on the Wonder before then (meaning 2010.)

IMO, the Wonder cruises for 2010 are way overpriced at the moment for the spring and summer (unless you're Canadian and can take advantage of the 25% discount that's available currently.) The Spring Wonder cruises are mostly sold out because of the kids sail free promotion they ran in the fall. Then from mid-April through October the Wonder is overpriced because they've inflated prices to account for the Magic being in the Med and the Wonder being the only ship sailing for DCL out of Florida from mid-April through mid-October when the Magic comes out of drydock. The Wonder cruises this summer have averaged $1000 more for the same cruises next year on the Dream.

I'd book the September Dream cruise, and keep your eyes open for a great deal for a 2010 cruise, on either the Wonder or the Magic. There isn't a great deal out there right now, but I think one is coming since the summer Wonder cruises still have a lot of availability.

Let me clarify...sorry...we can do the Dream in March 2010 or do the Wonder for a bit less than the Dream in September 2010. It would just mean if we do that we would have to wait until DH can take his next vacation a year later to do the Dream. What is funny is I just got off the phone with my sister who did the Wonder last November after Thanksgiving and she said to do it then so we could see the ship and Disney all decorated for Christmas. IDK! Need opinions so I can book once my TA comes back from her Wonder Cruise lol

Now I understand! Sorry for the confusion!

It sounds like you have some reasons why it would be good for you to cruise this year (to celebrate your anniversary), so I'd say go ahead and book a cruise for this year. Our first cruise was to celebrate our 10th anniversary! I still think the Wonder is overpriced in Sept, but not as bad as it is this summer. While you're onboard, you can always rebook for a future cruise on the Dream or Fantasy and get a discount and higher onboard credit!

We've cruised 3 times in December and it's great seeing the Christmas decorations so I'd recommend that time of year too! We did have better weather the first week or two of December than the third week of December. Those first two weeks of December and week after Thanksgiving are great times to cruise. You could probably do a 7nt cruise that time of year for close to the price of the Wonder cruise.

I am trying to check out Disneys November pricing for a 7 day but the site is down so I am not able to get an idea for what it would be for a 2 cabin 7 night cruise. I just have my wonder and dream quotes from today. UGH

I am trying to check out Disneys November pricing for a 7 day but the site is down so I am not able to get an idea for what it would be for a 2 cabin 7 night cruise. I just have my wonder and dream quotes from today. UGH

I just looked, and the 7day prices are higher than the 4day prices in Nov or September, so your original plan will probably turn out cheaper though it is generally more expensive on a per person per day basis. The cheapest holiday period 7nt is Dec 4th (that's why we've sailed twice then.) I didn't calculate the cost per person per day, but just looked at pure cost. (Also don't know what mix of folks you're looking at in the 2 rooms.)

Just for comparison purposes, the cheapest 3 and 4 nt cruises March - December are in September 2010 and 2011 (with Sept 2011 being cheaper). The cheapest 5 nt cruises are in June and August 2011. And the cheapest 7nt cruises are the last week of November and the 1st week of December.

Now I understand! Sorry for the confusion!

It sounds like you have some reasons why it would be good for you to cruise this year (to celebrate your anniversary), so I'd say go ahead and book a cruise for this year. Our first cruise was to celebrate our 10th anniversary! I still think the Wonder is overpriced in Sept, but not as bad as it is this summer. While you're onboard, you can always rebook for a future cruise on the Dream or Fantasy and get a discount and higher onboard credit!

We've cruised 3 times in December and it's great seeing the Christmas decorations so I'd recommend that time of year too! We did have better weather the first week or two of December than the third week of December. Those first two weeks of December and week after Thanksgiving are great times to cruise. You could probably do a 7nt cruise that time of year for close to the price of the Wonder cruise.

My question is about the same as the OP. Just want to see what everyone thinks about this.... Our 20th anniversary is in August :love:..... We decided to cruise in Sept. though to celebrate it. Do you think we should book something now since it's not that far away....(only 7months) or wait till we are on our family cruise on the Wonder in April this year and then book it? I understand we would get a 10% discount and an obc. Do you think we could still come out ahead by booking further out, without the 10% off and obc? So confusing! :confused3

My question is about the same as the OP. Just want to see what everyone thinks about this.... Our 20th anniversary is in August :love:..... We decided to cruise in Sept. though to celebrate it. Do you think we should book something now since it's not that far away....(only 7months) or wait till we are on our family cruise on the Wonder in April this year and then book it? I understand we would get a 10% discount and an obc. Do you think we could still come out ahead by booking further out, without the 10% off and obc? So confusing! :confused3

Congratulations on your upcoming milestone anniversary!!

If you really want to cruise on a particular date and/or in a particular category or room, you should book your cruise now. Then when you're on your cruise in April you can try to rebook it to get the discount and onboard credit. Depending on whether your desired category is still available, or if prices have increased more than 10%, will determine whether or not you are able to rebook. But worse case, you'll be on the cruise for what you were willing to pay. Best case, you'll be on the cruise with some extra money to spend on romantic items!

There is the possibility that cruise prices could come down between now and then, but there is great likelihood that availability would go down meaning you may not be able to book the date or room that you want.

We have a Dream cruise booked for August 2011. We booked it the day bookings opened. Some of our friends decided to join us on that cruise, and booked the first week of December. When we sailed in December, I was able to rebook my friend's reservations but not my own because the category I'd originally booked has been sold out. I do have a dummy booking that I made on board to transfer should my category come available again, but thus far that sailing is continuing to fill so it hasn't been an option. While it's great I was able to get my friends a discount and on board credits, I've very happy that I booked when I did otherwise it would be costing us a lot more to be on that sailing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter