• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another alcohol question

bgula

DIS Veteran
We're heading out on the Fantasy in a few weeks. I realize that you're only allowed to bring 6 beer on board, but as we don't like beer, we're hoping that we'll be allowed 6 cans of coolers instead. To me they're basically comparable with alcohol content. I'm going into this knowing ahead of time that it might get confiscated, but for those that have gone thru the "bringing alcohol onboard", I have some questions:

1) Do they rely on the x-ray machine to spot the bottles/cans that people are in the luggage? If so, do they open up the luggage to make sure it's beer or not?

2) Would I be best to put the cans in my "carry-on" luggage, or in my regular luggage that's delivered later to my stateroom? Just wondering if they're more liable to have me open the luggage rather than if it was sent with all my other luggage?

I realize that you're only allowed to bring 6 beer on board, but as we don't like beer, we're hoping that we'll be allowed 6 cans of coolers instead. To me they're basically comparable with alcohol content. I'm going into this knowing ahead of time that it might get confiscated, but for those that have gone thru the "bringing alcohol onboard", I have some questions:

1) Do they rely on the x-ray machine to spot the bottles/cans that people are in the luggage? If so, do they open up the luggage to make sure it's beer or not?

2) Would I be best to put the cans in my "carry-on" luggage, or in my regular luggage that's delivered later to my stateroom? Just wondering if they're more liable to have me open the luggage rather than if it was sent with all my other luggage?
Any beverages you bring onboard are supposed to be in your carry on bags. Beverages in checked bags may be confiscated.

As to whether coolers will be allowed, no they are not. Only "Beer" and "Wine or Champagne". Yes, a cooler can look like a beer in a security scanner. But only you know whether you'll be comfortable scamming the system.

They could ask you to open your bags, if they are suspicious as to what that can/bottle actually is. Or not.

Last edited:
We're heading out on the Fantasy in a few weeks. I realize that you're only allowed to bring 6 beer on board, but as we don't like beer, we're hoping that we'll be allowed 6 cans of coolers instead. To me they're basically comparable with alcohol content. I'm going into this knowing ahead of time that it might get confiscated, but for those that have gone thru the "bringing alcohol onboard", I have some questions:

I definitely would not put it in your checked luggage. As far as coolers vs beer, many people here have reported bringing on Hard Cider without a problem. I think the people scanning are looking to make sure there is nothing more than 1 six pack per guest but not really checking what the beverage is. I really wish DCL would change the wording to a Malt Beverage instead of beer, generally there is the same amount of alcohol in beer, hard cider and coolers. And as Dennis Miller likes to say, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong,"

Are talking about wine coolers or like Mike's hard lemonade /schmirnoff ice, because I'm pretty sure most of those are flavored beer if you look at the label..... So not "scamming" the system. But either way I honestly don't think they care. Going on our Alaskan cruise we split up with my parents going through security, and my fiancée had both his wine and my mom's (lightening her backpack) , I had mine. We went through the scanner, I went first, he followed they asked if he was with anyone, I said I was and they let us through...... With 3 people worth of wine.... Never opened any backpacks

Well keep in mind, "they" (the ones scanning your carry-on items are not DCL employees) so I would not exactly say that They do not care. DCL very much cares but DCL is not allowed to do that job, it has to be done by customs and border patrol!! DCL cannot control CBP.
It is times like this when I see people trying to cheat the system, that I would be happy to see Disney go to a ZERO carry on policy.

Well keep in mind, "they" (the ones scanning your carry-on items are not DCL employees) so I would not exactly say that They do not care. DCL very much cares but DCL is not allowed to do that job, it has to be done by customs and border patrol!! DCL cannot control CBP.
It is times like this when I see people trying to cheat the system, that I would be happy to see Disney go to a ZERO carry on policy.
Which countries customs and border patrol controls this? With each cruise line having a different alcohol policy I wouldn't say they can't control CBP they must have some control.

Which countries customs and border patrol controls this? With each cruise line having a different alcohol policy I wouldn't say they can't control CBP they must have some control.

Initial embarkation is handled by CBP of the USA. They can certainly ask them to do this which I am sure they have. They CANNOT MAKE them do their jobs throughly and well when it comes to alcohol inspection.
Bringing alcohol back on in POC, it gets inspected by DCL staff. So they can control that very well.

Initial embarkation is handled by CBP of the USA. They can certainly ask them to do this which I am sure they have. They CANNOT MAKE them do their jobs throughly and well when it comes to alcohol inspection.
Bringing alcohol back on in POC, it gets inspected by DCL staff. So they can control that very well.
So did CBP scan before the new alcohol policy too or was that DCL? I don't drink so I'm clueless with this.

bgula, you know the rule. And we know that beer and U.S.-made coolers are both malt beverages so it's obnoxious that the person who wrote the words of the rule didn't include coolers.

Don't put them in checked. Anticipate the possibility that your stuff might be checked more than they've checked others in the past. Know that it might not work. Or it might.

Have a nice cruise.

ok so basically its not worth it to try to cheat the system- and everything goes in your carry on bags- as far as 6 packs of beer, has anyone brought bottles, there are some pretty good beers out there with pretty high alcohol content, just wondering if anyone has done this- I'm really not a wine girl, really a vodka girl- wish i could bring that in my bag

ok so basically its not worth it to try to cheat the system- and everything goes in your carry on bags- as far as 6 packs of beer, has anyone brought bottles, there are some pretty good beers out there with pretty high alcohol content, just wondering if anyone has done this- I'm really not a wine girl, really a vodka girl- wish i could bring that in my bag
The only specification as to the beer is that it's 6 of them, with a max size of 12 oz each. There's no specification that it must cans.

The only specification as to the beer is that it's 6 of them, with a max size of 12 oz each. There's no specification that it must cans.

Nor is there a specification as to the gravity of said beer. I brought beer that was higher proof than a bottle of wine, and have beers that are higher proof than some rums and whiskeys that I could bring if I so choose.

To make a long story short, my experience and most peoples' experience so far is that the people doing the scanning of bags couldn't care less what you bring on board. Some have reported bringing a 12-pack in one backpack. Most have reported that they didn't bother checking the bags once they counted the cans and/or bottles, if they were even counting. Several have said that they were able to bring liquor on (one even said that they came back on board with rum in Sint Maarten and DCL employees didn't confiscate it.) It's luck of the draw. When it's busy and the line is backed up they're more likely to try and filter you through as fast as possible. DCL's ridiculous alcohol policy is the least of their concerns. They're anti-terrorism "police", not beer bottle police.

thanks! like i said its our first time cruising and i have no idea what to expect about anything- i don't know what it says about me that I'm very interested in the alcohol policy- lol

I'm not trying to "cheat" the system, just trying to see if I can make a "substitution".

Thanks for all the replies - they were helpful. The reason I asked about checking them with our baggage is that we've done this before with the encouragement of the curbside people who take the luggage. Bottles get broken, cans don't.

We were on the Wonder a couple of weeks ago and the couple seated next to us at Dinner had misunderstood the rules and put a 6 pack of Beer in each of their checked bags. The Beer was confiscated from each checked bag and was held until the morning of debarkation. They were trying to figure out what to do with Beer when they picked it up the last morning since their flight was leaving in a couple hours. Last I heard they were trying to make arrangements so that the Assistant Waiter could have their Beer.

In San Juan at the end of January, we had a carry-on suitcase with 2 8-packs of dietCoke cans, one bottle of wine and 6 bottles of beer (along with a box of rum punch pouches purchased in San Juan). We were "pulled over" for a bag check since they were concerned with the 2 8-pack cans. Once they saw they were dietCokes, we were waived through. (the rum punch said RUM PUNCH right on the box but they didn't say anything about it. The rum punch 12 days later was still in the box in the fridge) I have no idea why the punch wasn't confiscated and I expected it would. Your mileage will vary :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter