Another Airport Security Question...Underwire Bras

WHile I normally wear underwire bras, when I fly I wear a good athletic non-underwire one. It's just more comfy on the flight. When my dd, now 27, was in high school, they went on a field trip to a prison. Yes, I know...somewhat strange. It was supposed to deter crime. Well, the girls were told not to wear underwire bras since they will set the scanners. I take off my shoes now and take out the roll of quarters I travel with. THat has been an issue lately!!!

Suddenly I'm glad for my good little chest - I can easily wear the tank tops with the shelf bras. No metal required!

Oh, and Pirate:
I'm more nervous about my shoes. It would be very embarrassing to take off my shoes - my feet should be classified as biological weapons!
It depends on the airport, but in some, they make you remove the shoes and send them through the conveyor! Wear nice socks! :teeth:

I think it depends on the airline and the screener. A friend of mine set off the detector week after 9-11 in Boston and went through thorough security. I'm with you katerkat, I'm suddenly strangely aware of the invoncnince large chest can pose.

RE: metal shanks. I used to wear Easy Spirit pumps and discovered when I went to a federal courthouse that they had metal shanks in them--who knew?

I think an underwire bra alone is not enough to set off the alarm

Oh, but it can be...when mine set it off, it was the only possible explanation for the metal detector going off - and was confirmed when I was wanded and the only place on my body the wand beeped was...well, you can guess where. Just one more reason to be jealous of all the women who aren't large enough to require underwires!

Can any of you well endowed women recommend a bra or a brand of athletic bra that doesn't have a wire? I know there seem to be thousands of bras out there, and once you find a good one, you can never find it again. So maybe this question is just a waste of time. Does DIS allow links to bra web sites?

:p

Twirly

Twirlywig -- if you like your underwire, just wear it. Don't worry about it. I guarantee you that under Murphy's Law, if you go out & buy a new bra just for this, something else on you will cause the machine to go off, and you'll get wanded anyway!!

Allison

Twirly...Champion has a line of nice ones out. I bought one for our trip in August. It was terrific in the heat/humidity. Style 1121. I normally wear just underwires but that one has become a new favorite!!

Originally posted by NotUrsula
Actually, this isn't true. The only US brand that routinely uses plastic underwires is Playtex. Olga, Warners, Bali, Vanity Fair, and Jockey all use metal, except in styles that are specially noted as having round underwires

I wear three styles of Bali, and everyone of them has plastic wires. I do agree, Olga does use metal wires almost exclusively. (Which is why I won't buy them anymore :( )

Either way, regardless of the type of bra I've been wearing, I've never set of the scanner with it. And I'm not in the "Wonder Bra" catagory by any means, LOL!

As I said in my original post, I've had problems with the metal shanks in my shoes, those automatically go through the machine these days.

I'd also suggest removing any watches--DH's watch is always a culprit!

Anne

How can you guys w/ larger chests wear sports bras???...I can't...with out the underwire it KILLS my shoulders. I've tried them all...spend a lot of $$$...have to have my underwire. I've never had a problem at the airport and plan to wear my fav underwire (all I own) on Friday! Heres hoping I won't get stopped!

Try this site. It has an on-line sports bra fitting program, goes up to DDD.

I'm so glad I read this post.
If I got stopped in the airport due to my underwire......eh...so what.
HOWEVER.....it would really devastate DD14.
She would be horrified! Not blushing horrified...but in tears horrified. :(

Due to this post she will avoid a bad start to our vacation.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

-Tabitha

Just returned....went thru w/ my underwire both legs of the trip...never stopped once....never have been stopped. Asked the security folks at the check and they said it never happens...but they of course found it funny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter