• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another ? about when to visit WDW

1. A summer trip, good or bad?

2. Really hot?

3. Really crowded? Thanks :)

1. Yes and no

2. Define "really"

3. See 2. and it depends on when you go in the summer.

I'm not trying to be scarky just need a little bit more info. Like have you been to WDW before to try to give you a comparison.

The beginning, first week or so of June, or end of summer, last weeks of August, can be reasonable crowd wise.

Some parts of summer are busier than others. July would be the busiest month and the 4th the busiest holiday. If you consider September part of summer it's a great time to visit with lower crowds, but still really hot.

I've been in June, July, and August. August was the worst as far as heat goes--the pool at the hotel was like a bath.
Any time of year is doable if you get there at opening and get your priority rides or activities out of the way.
Daisyx3

1. Yes and no

2. Define "really"

3. See 2. and it depends on when you go in the summer.

I'm not trying to be scarky just need a little bit more info. Like have you been to WDW before to try to give you a comparison.

The beginning, first week or so of June, or end of summer, last weeks of August, can be reasonable crowd wise.

Our last trip was in May of 2009, and it was 98 degrees every day that we were there. I am from New Orleans, so I'm used to a little heat and humidity, but it was really uncomfortable. I'm just wondering if we went about it all wrong. We got to the parks early and then tried to push though all day. I'm wondering of we should have a better plan next time, like maybe do the parks for rope drop, go back to the hotel for lunch and swimming/naps, then return to the parks after dinner. I would like to go in May again b/c my children get out of school fairly early in the summer (1st week of May), so we are hoping to beat the big summer crowds. If we don't make it in May, then the next time we will be able to go is Thanksgiving week. DH is a firefighter, and if a storm is threatening New Orleans then he will not be able to leave for a vacation. We don't really like to plan big trips during hurricane season b/c we don't want to have to cancel or move it last minute.

The best time for us to go is the end of September into the start of October. It isnt very hot and the crowds are less. I have also heard that February is a great time to go.

Our last trip was in May of 2009, and it was 98 degrees every day that we were there. I am from New Orleans, so I'm used to a little heat and humidity, but it was really uncomfortable. I'm just wondering if we went about it all wrong. We got to the parks early and then tried to push though all day. I'm wondering of we should have a better plan next time, like maybe do the parks for rope drop, go back to the hotel for lunch and swimming/naps, then return to the parks after dinner. I would like to go in May again b/c my children get out of school fairly early in the summer (1st week of May), so we are hoping to beat the big summer crowds. If we don't make it in May, then the next time we will be able to go is Thanksgiving week. DH is a firefighter, and if a storm is threatening New Orleans then he will not be able to leave for a vacation. We don't really like to plan big trips during hurricane season b/c we don't want to have to cancel or move it last minute.

If for you summer includes May you should be able to find a slow week during that time.

My sons are in college and are also completely done the first week in May. We went May 1 -7 and it was never what I would call hot, we are from Pittsburgh.

It was a little bit more crowded that week then I expected but Disney expected it to be crowded since they didn't have free dining. It was two weeks after Easter and the week leading upto Mother's Day.

But any time you can go when school is still in session for most of the Country should be slower.

Wondering how your kids get out so early are they in some sort of all year round program.

Wondering how your kids get out so early are they in some sort of all year round program.[/QUOTE]

They go to catholic school, the pre-k, k, and 7th graders get out 3 weeks before the rest of the school. Trying to take advantage of that while I still can :)

Wondering how your kids get out so early are they in some sort of all year round program.

We are not in year round school and our kids get out mid may. This year will be the latest yet (DD is in 4th grade) on the 18th. In the south it is pretty common for schools to start back in early Aug and get out in mid May. This year we started back later than ever before on Aug the 4th. We are in east TN and our school system gets out before some of the others around us but no one goes past the 23rd unless they have lots of snow days.

I think the biggest key to going in the summer (more than being prepared for the heat), is having a plan B and even plan C.

The heat is hot, but it's also exhausting. Make sure you have alot of alternate things you want to do other than just park hopping. If you are a commando and are used to rope drops till 10 pm, its hard to do in the summer. If thats the trip you want, don't go during the summer.

If you are willing to sacrifice a little park time, the summer isn't too bad. That either means, you see less in park attractions, or you go longer and just do less per day. I enjoy things like pool days, golf days, spa days, resort hoping and dining days, downtown disney.

I'm also willing to be at every park an hour before rope drop and by 12 pm, I'll make the call if I can stay for the rest of the day. If It gets too crowded, check the aps for another park and maybe just head back till later that day once you are rested and more prepared to deal with the crowds. Use the middle part of the day (if you do stay in the parks), the hottest part for shows or attractions with alot of indoor queue time.

We went in June 2009 and I swore never to go in summer again. We're from Kentucky, so we're used to heat and humidity, but trying to navigate through large crowds in that kind of weather is miserable.

That being said, we are the kind of people who go, go, go...so, if you are the type of family that are relaxed and not worried about getting to see all the "major" attractions while you're there, then you should be okay with taking frequent breaks and staying hydrated.

There are also certain groups that gather during the summer months, like Star Wars Weekend people and Gay Days people, neither of which would bother us, but it might be something you want to be aware of so you can plan accordingly. Just check out the boards for dates, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter