• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another 1st Time Cruiser here

Mom2OakandEm

Mouseketeer
We have been waiting years to go on this cruise.
There's me, my boyfriend, and my 2 girls (15 & 10)

We are leaving Sept 16 on the Fantasy for the Western Caribbean. As this is our first cruise I'm a bit lost
Been reading tons, but still have questions.

Any port excursions we should look into, our stops are Cozumel, Falmouth, Grand Cayman and CC. Or excursions to skip? Things to do in these ports on our own or things to avoid?

I know specialty drinks and some room service there is a charge for along with adult dining, but any additional charges you were surprised by I should be prepared for?

I know everything gets charged back to the room so how did you handle your kids "spending money"? My girls usually get gift cards for holidays and earn their own money through chores.

Any other tips, tricks or questions I haven't thought to ask is very much appreciated.

We have been waiting years to go on this cruise.
There's me, my boyfriend, and my 2 girls (15 & 10)

We are leaving Sept 16 on the Fantasy for the Western Caribbean. As this is our first cruise I'm a bit lost
Been reading tons, but still have questions.

Any port excursions we should look into, our stops are Cozumel, Falmouth, Grand Cayman and CC. Or excursions to skip? Things to do in these ports on our own or things to avoid?

I know specialty drinks and some room service there is a charge for along with adult dining, but any additional charges you were surprised by I should be prepared for?

I know everything gets charged back to the room so how did you handle your kids "spending money"? My girls usually get gift cards for holidays and earn their own money through chores.

Any other tips, tricks or questions I haven't thought to ask is very much appreciated.

Congrats! You will have a great time!

One thing to keep in mind is that soda and fountain drinks are free in the dining rooms, and from the dispensers on the top deck, they cost extra at bars, as well as in room service. As a rule for the soda, if it is in a can, it is extra. Specialty coffees are extra. Someone here has a wonderful list of all the extra charges, but it gives the impression that everywhere you turn is a extra charge. For the most part, most things are free and things that cost extra say so. (The sports simulators, for example cost extra, but everything else in the sports deck is free.)

As for kids spending money. When you fill out your online check-in at 75 days out, you will specify a credit card for your room. At that point, you decide (and can change later) who can use it. You can also register some gift cards, and give your daughters authority over them. This gives them access to some money (for the gift shops and to buy fruit smoothies) without access to your credit card.

I would encourage you to encourage your girls to try their respective kids clubs (Edge and Vibe). They have a lot of fun activities that are well chaperoned by CMs and it gives you and your boyfriend some times to check out the adult only parts of the ship. It is a great feature that more types of vacations should provide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter