• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another 10 Day Dining Review with Pics! Completed!

After a rest back at the hotel, we took the train over to the Seaport Village location. It was actually pretty easy to use, once we figured it out, and it was much quicker than driving and finding a parking space. We arrived at Seaport Village and considering the damage we'd done at Anthony's earlier in the day, we just weren't that hungry. It has become an annual tradition for us to visit one spot, the Pier Café, though, and the thought of missing this restaurant was making me really sad. We headed over to look at the menu, thinking we'd probably just grab drinks and an appetizer to share. I had in mind the stuffed mushrooms, which we'd had on previous visits.

The menu:

p 2.jpg

No stuffed mushrooms! :sad:

After throwing a bit of a fit internally, I finally decided we could still grab a bite here. We sat down, and both ordered drinks right away:

p 1.jpg

DP chose a traditional margarita with salt.

I chose this:
p 5.jpg

A mango margarita with sugar.

These were just ok. They were the kind of margaritas that give you heartburn. I would say the Pier Café is definitely not the place to go if you are a connoisseur of margaritas.

After some time, sitting and looking at the menu, nothing really sounded that good. So we just settled on this:

p 3.jpg

Guacamole and salsa

p 4.jpg

And a basket of chips

These were ok. The guacamole was pretty good, actually.

The Pier Café is not exactly known for its south of the border cuisine. As you might imagine, it's a seafood restaurant where we've found the seafood can really be hit or miss. But it's just the kind of place I like. It's a little old-fashioned seafood restaurant in a wooden, dock-style building with a wall of windows facing west. I love the feel of it, and that is why I'll probably keeping going there, even though the food isn't the greatest (and the drinks are a bit worse).

After this less than thrilling incarnation of dinner, we headed around the village to do some shopping.

DP grabbed this in the book store:

p 6.jpg

Some kind of sweet coffee drink with whipped cream on top. It was good!

And to end the night, I visited the candy shop for a soft serve ice cream creation I'd been thinking about since our trip the year before:

p 7.jpg

Vanilla soft serve with chocolate sauce and peanut butter cup pieces

So good! There are two Ben and jerry's locations in Seaport Village, but I love getting this soft serve at the candy store instead. They don't mess around with "Do you want one scoop or two?" They just give you a large cup filled with soft serve and big hunks of candy! This is exactly what I needed to redeem the lack luster dinner we'd had.

This was our last night in San Diego, so after plenty of shopping and reflection about what a wonderful trip we'd had, we headed back to the train stop, rode the 5 minutes to Old Town, and soon were settled in back at the Cosmo.

Up next, our last morning of scones on the veranda, plus some final thoughts as well as a link to the next review...a wedding, a honeymoon, and a whole lot of Disney dining!

The next morning, we were greeted again by a little tap on the door. Outside, we found the same spread as the day before:

a 1.jpg

A nice little table, set up just for us.

Again, the scones were delicious. Still the *best ever*!

a 2.jpg

After our nice light complimentary breakfast, we decided to head back down into Old Town to visit one of our favorite spots, the little cemetery on Juan street. After all, we had a little time before needing to head to the airport, and what better way to spend the last of one's vacation hours than at a cemetery. :)

a 3.jpg

This cemetery really is a unique and colorful piece of San Diego history.

There is a lot of humor infused as well:
a 4.jpg

From there, we walked up the street to the quaint Victorian Village, before finally heading back down to the Cosmo to check out.

a 5.jpg

It was such a wonderful trip, from all the meals we enjoyed to the special memories and milestones celebrated along the way!

We ate one final meal at a place in Old Town called the Living Room Café, where the food was adequate and inexpensive, and the service was fast. We were so underwhelmed that we apparently did not even photograph our food.

Our trip to the airport and flight home was uneventful, and we arrived back home in time to twist off the top of our fancy Carlsbad moscato to raise one last glass to our recent dining adventures:

a 7.jpg

DP and I would be very busy over the next year, planning a non-traditional destination wedding. It was the year of a lifetime, and looking back at all the moments, I know I am so blessed to have this life.

Thank you all for reading along, for your comments and kind words! If you'd like to keep reading, follow this link to read all about our next adventure: A Wedding and Honeymoon with Lots of Disney Dining!

a 6.jpg

For now, cheers! :wave2:

Great DR! Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to read about your wedding and honeymoon!

Sounds great! I don't know why it never occurred to me to put mushrooms in chili until Charlie's.

Isn't everything better with French fries!?:worship:

I've been on the boards a while but as you can see, I rarely post.

But I had to weigh in on the mushrooms in chili and French fries topic, LOL.

The coffe chain, Tim Horton's, puts mushrooms in their chili. It's unusual but I like them. And I swear, Wendy's started serving chili cheese fries bc I told them to do it for years! We'd order fries and chili, then take it home and top it with shredded cheese from our fridge. I was embarrassingly excited when Wendy's FINALLY began offering it.

I love your reports! Thanks!

Edited to add: oh, I should have kept reading! Congrats on your engagement and wedding!

Last edited:

I've been on the boards a while but as you can see, I rarely post.

But I had to weigh in on the mushrooms in chili and French fries topic, LOL.

The coffe chain, Tim Horton's, puts mushrooms in their chili. It's unusual but I like them. And I swear, Wendy's started serving chili cheese fries bc I told them to do it for years! We'd order fries and chili, then take it home and top it with shredded cheese from our fridge. I was embarrassingly excited when Wendy's FINALLY began offering it.

I love your reports! Thanks!

Edited to add: oh, I should have kept reading! Congrats on your engagement and wedding!

Awesome thank you!

Good for you for influencing Wendy's menu! ;) I'm sure it was your requests that motivated them to that change. Honestly, it feels great when someone hears our suggestion. I love mushrooms in chili. Does Wendy's have mushrooms in it? Is it vegetarian? It could be dangerous if I find out I can have chili cheese fries after just a simple drive-thru. :rotfl2:

Yay!!!:cheer2:Just got finished reading your wonderful dining report!
That lemon cake looked so good and all that yummy, fresh seafood is making me drool!
I so wished we lived near the ocean; it's probably why most of our vacations are spent n either Cali or Florida!
Looking forward to reading your Wedding & Honeymoon reviews :love:

Your dining report was great! Love seeing all of the vegetarian friendly choices! And what could be better than your chili fries on the beach?!? I don't think I've even ever had chili cheese fries (although dh loves himself some loaded cheese fries and gets his with bacon on the side so I can join in the deliciousness!) Veg chili cheese fries with mushrooms sounds amazing! Can't wait to read some more of your reviews :)

Yay!!!:cheer2:Just got finished reading your wonderful dining report!
That lemon cake looked so good and all that yummy, fresh seafood is making me drool!
I so wished we lived near the ocean; it's probably why most of our vacations are spent n either Cali or Florida!
Looking forward to reading your Wedding & Honeymoon reviews :love:

Yay! Glad you made it and had time to catch up and read. I'm making progress on the wedding and honeymoon review. Gotta get that completed so I can post some bonus pics of our DL trip from Feb and our soon to be WDW Flower and Garden trip.

Trying to think if we'll be eating much seafood in WDW...probably not since our ressies are at Sanaa, Via Napoli, Kona and BOG. No Cape May this year...maybe next time I guess. :sad1:

Your dining report was great! Love seeing all of the vegetarian friendly choices! And what could be better than your chili fries on the beach?!? I don't think I've even ever had chili cheese fries (although dh loves himself some loaded cheese fries and gets his with bacon on the side so I can join in the deliciousness!) Veg chili cheese fries with mushrooms sounds amazing! Can't wait to read some more of your reviews :)

Those chili cheese fries with mushrooms are so good!

Thanks for reading! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter