Annual Reading Goal Challenge for 2016 - Come and join us!

#6/50 - Stranded (Maggie O'Dell Book #11) - Alex Cava - This is a "crime/serial killer" style book very similar to the style of Karin Slaughter, Harlan Coban, Lisa Gardner etc. I've never read Alex Kava's books and I am on hold for all of my other books, so I tried this one. I actually really like it for this type of genre. I liked it MUCH better than the Karin Slaughter "Pretty Girls" book. Maggie O'Dell is a character in now 11 of Kava's books. I started out with the last one because, to be honest, I don't like reading these types of series books that are 10 years old and the "current" references are now data. This Maggie O'Dell series can be picked up at any point--they are standalone. I'm sure there is a lot of back story about Maggie O'Dell that I'm missing but it was fine without it.

Maggie O'Dell is an FBI agent and her latest case is about a serial killer who works rest stops across the country. This serial killer somehow becomes obsessesed with her (probably hinted at in Book 10) and leads her to his dumping grounds. Long story short, she does solve it all.

I really liked this author's "voice", found all the characters likeable and believeble (unlike the Karin Slaughter book) and violence wasn't so bad that I winced although it did have it's moments but it didn't go too far. Maggie O'Dell also lives in Washington DC, one of the rest stops discussed is about 10 minutes from my house, and they spent time at Quantico (all close to me) so I kind of liked that.

I think I will read more of this authors books and maybe force myself to start with book 1.

#1 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Tried to read once before, a friend of mine at prior job was actually one of many who passed on the translation rights before it took off.
I liked both main characters, and enjoyed the story. It was a little to much for me at the end with what happened, and one of the larger parts I guessed early on. Enjoyed the publishing/business of the book, but was no floored not sure if I will bother with the other two.

(If anyone is interested in reading any of my works, I would gladly send kindle gift version (Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, Written for You or Reigning).

I didn't get to Girl Waits with Gun, so I had to return it to the library. And after a long day with the kids, I found it hard to get back in to the Martian. For some reason, all the space words and terms were a little too much for my tired brain :laughing: I made it through, but barely! I just wanted to know the ending!

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I loved it! So many 80's references and such a creative story. I really recommend it!

I need to read something light next. Not sure what to start... I have a few from the library, but a lot on my bookshelf that I haven't gotten to yet.

10/200 Dead Watch by John Sandford. I love all of Sandfords books and this one was great. It's about a political fixer who is asked to look into the disappearance of a former senator. It's really political, so I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't into politics.

11/200 The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn. I was at the used bookstore today and found the two Bridgerton books I hadn't read so I picked them up. I loved this one-the banter between the main characters was brilliant

12/200 Mind Prey by John Sandford. I didn't like this one as much as I liked dead watch, the story was a little confusing to me.

Last edited:
8/60 - Unbroken: A World War II Book of Survival, Resilience and Recemption by Laura Hillenbrand - Louis Zamperini was a troublemaker turned track star who many say would have been the first to crack the 4 minute mile. Instead, WWII erupts and he is drafted as a bombadier. His plane crashes into the Pacific where he struggles to stay alive long enough to find land or be found. This book was gripping. I knew little about how widespread the Japanese war crimes were against POWs, and reading those passages were difficult. The story was very inspiring and moving, but I definitely needed to read a lighter book after this.

Another person here not enthralled with The Kingdom Keepers. And I thought it was just me!

Nope, seems like we are not alone :laughing:

I really HATED the first book and don't get the hype AT ALL. I am totally one of those girls who thinks the relationship is abusive and not what it is portrayed to be(the dom/sub). The writing sucks etc...

BUT... I watched the movie during a girls' night out and it wasn't actually bad. I don't know what they changed, but I got a totally different vibe from the movie. I mean, I wouldn't watch it twice, but it wasn't horrendous.

Hmm, maybe I will try the movie then. After all, I do think Jamie Dornan is pretty cute so it might be worth it just for him ;)

Well the book Evidence that was dying to read was meant to be out on Friday, it was pulled from the shelves due to legal action. Now that his conclusion has been announced (and I dont agree) I am not so gung ho to track it down. And so will start the next book on my list

Wow, pulled due to legal action. That sounds intriguing! Enjoy whatever you decide to read instead :)

I searched this thread and realized I called both my 1st and 2nd finished books my first. So I previously posted about 1. The Girls of Mischief Bay and 2. The Magicians. This week I finished book #3 The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai
Lucy Hull, a young children's librarian in Hannibal, Missouri, finds herself both a kidnapper and kidnapped when her favorite patron, ten- year-old Ian Drake, runs away from home.

I liked this one, gave it 3 Stars. I am in a book club with a mom's group and I think this one would spark some great discussion!

Book #4 The Secret of Everything by Barbara O'Neal excerpt from goodreads summary
Located high in the New Mexico mountains, Las Ladronas has become a magnet for the very wealthy and very hip, but once upon a time it was the setting of a childhood trauma Tessa can only half remember. Now, as she rediscovers both her old hometown and her past, Tessa is drawn to search-and-rescue worker Vince Grasso.

I am in the minority with this one (based on most goodreads reviews). I just didn't care about the big mystery - Tessa was fine, I didn't not like her I just didn't care. I liked the bits about Natalie, the oldest daughter of the love interest. I found it completely far fetched that she ......oh wait I don't want to spoil anything. Just not for me.

I hate when I read a book that others enjoyed and don't like it as much. I always feel like I must be missing something.

5/40 - The Secret Chord, Geraldine Brooks - the first time I've been disappointed by her. The subject - King David - what could be bad? The story of his becoming king and his reign, at least from her view, is so full of seemingly senseless violence that I found it hard to keep going. And I'm not squeamish!
Hope your recovery is a somooth one, wilma-bride!

I do not like violence in books. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Thanks for the good wishes :)

Finished book #6/65 - Freedom's Child by Jax Miller

Wow, I got hooked into this story fast & couldn't put it down. One of those books where you plan to read for a little bit, then look at the clock and realize 2 hours just went by. Yet you still don't want to stop reading. It's about this woman who had to give her kids up and go into witness protection. A lot of horrible things happen, and I mean horrible, and multiple events involved in this story keeps it fast paced. I definitely recommend this one.

Freedom Oliver has plenty of secrets. She lives in a small Oregon town and keeps mostly to herself. Her few friends and neighbors know she works at the local biker bar; they know she gets arrested for public drunkenness almost every night; they know she’s brash, funny, and fearless.
What they don’t know is that Freedom Oliver is a fake name. They don’t know that she was arrested for killing her husband, a cop, twenty years ago. They don’t know she put her two kids up for adoption. They don’t know that she’s now in witness protection, regretting ever making a deal with the Feds, and missing her children with a heartache so strong it makes her ill.
Then, she learns that her daughter has gone missing, possibly kidnapped. Determined to find out what happened, Freedom slips free of her handlers, gets on a motorcycle, and heads for Kentucky, where her daughter was raised. As she ventures out on her own, no longer protected by the government, her troubled past comes roaring back at her: her husband’s vengeful, sadistic family; her brief, terrifying stint in prison; and the family she chose to adopt her kids who are keeping dangerous secrets.

This sounds great :thumbsup2

Book #6/50: Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6) by T.R. Ragan

From Goodreads:
Private investigator Lizzy Gardner believed in law and order once. But after losing a loved one to a killer and watching too many vicious predators game the system and walk free, she’s traded flawed justice for perfect vengeance.

Together with her tough and trusted assistants, Lizzy is tracking down a list of Sacramento’s worst offenders and dealing out the payback they deserve. But she may be lethally outmatched by a new criminal, a murderer the papers have dubbed the Sacramento Strangler. This ritualistic serial killer is dropping corpses and cryptic clues at a shocking rate—and he’s growing bolder and bloodier the longer he’s at large.

In the suspenseful finale to the Lizzy Gardner series, bestselling author T.R. Ragan’s gutsy heroine lashes out against the relentless onslaught of evil as she desperately fights to hang on to her own humanity.

So does this :thumbsup2

I finished another book... number 9, I think. Might have lost count. "Heart of the Sea" by Nora Roberts. This is the conclusion to the trilogy that I've been reading. Another predictable, yet enjoyable read. From Goodreads: "Darcy Gallagher has always believed in the pull of fate, the magic of legend... and the importance of money. She longs to find a rich man who will sweep her away - into a world filled with glamour and adventure, and the exotic life that is her destiny...

A wealthy businessman with Irish blood, Trevor Magee has come to Ardmore to build a theater - and uncover the secrets hidden in his family's past. He thought he had given up on love long ago, but Darcy Gallagher tempts him like no woman ever has. She's gorgeous, intelligent, and she knows what she wants - and he's more than willing to give it to her. But as their mutual attraction flares into passion, they look into their hearts - and find out what happens when you truly believe..."

Next up for me is "The Whispering City" by Sarah Moliner. This is a book club read, and I have to have it done by Thursday. Wish me luck! I've got a ton of stuff going on, right now, and I hope I can get it done in time to discuss it with my group.

Actually, it was number 10. No worries, I'm keeping count :laughing: Good luck finishing your book by Thursday.

9/12

The hypnotist
Gordon Korman

it was okay one of those power though kid learns he has special powers and then learns his power came with a high price
10/12

White fur flying

Patricia MacLachlan

About a family that rescues pups and makes a friend along the way

Hey, you are doing really well. You've nearly reached your goal :thumbsup2

#6/50 - Stranded (Maggie O'Dell Book #11) - Alex Cava - This is a "crime/serial killer" style book very similar to the style of Karin Slaughter, Harlan Coban, Lisa Gardner etc. I've never read Alex Kava's books and I am on hold for all of my other books, so I tried this one. I actually really like it for this type of genre. I liked it MUCH better than the Karin Slaughter "Pretty Girls" book. Maggie O'Dell is a character in now 11 of Kava's books. I started out with the last one because, to be honest, I don't like reading these types of series books that are 10 years old and the "current" references are now data. This Maggie O'Dell series can be picked up at any point--they are standalone. I'm sure there is a lot of back story about Maggie O'Dell that I'm missing but it was fine without it.

Maggie O'Dell is an FBI agent and her latest case is about a serial killer who works rest stops across the country. This serial killer somehow becomes obsessesed with her (probably hinted at in Book 10) and leads her to his dumping grounds. Long story short, she does solve it all.

I really liked this author's "voice", found all the characters likeable and believeble (unlike the Karin Slaughter book) and violence wasn't so bad that I winced although it did have it's moments but it didn't go too far. Maggie O'Dell also lives in Washington DC, one of the rest stops discussed is about 10 minutes from my house, and they spent time at Quantico (all close to me) so I kind of liked that.

I think I will read more of this authors books and maybe force myself to start with book 1.

:thumbsup2

#1 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Tried to read once before, a friend of mine at prior job was actually one of many who passed on the translation rights before it took off.
I liked both main characters, and enjoyed the story. It was a little to much for me at the end with what happened, and one of the larger parts I guessed early on. Enjoyed the publishing/business of the book, but was no floored not sure if I will bother with the other two.

I really didn't enjoy this book either - and actually didn't much like the movie. I found it hard to keep up with all the characters in the book.

I didn't get to Girl Waits with Gun, so I had to return it to the library. And after a long day with the kids, I found it hard to get back in to the Martian. For some reason, all the space words and terms were a little too much for my tired brain :laughing: I made it through, but barely! I just wanted to know the ending!

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I loved it! So many 80's references and such a creative story. I really recommend it!

I need to read something light next. Not sure what to start... I have a few from the library, but a lot on my bookshelf that I haven't gotten to yet.

I've got your total at 6 now, hope that's right :) I really want to read The Martian, so many people have enjoyed it. I just worry that because it's a subject that doesn't really interest me (space travel/sci fi) I will struggle with it.

10/200 Dead Watch by John Sandford. I love all of Sandfords books and this one was great. It's about a political fixer who is asked to look into the disappearance of a former senator. It's really political, so I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't into politics.

11/200 The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn. I was at the used bookstore today and found the two Bridgerton books I hadn't read so I picked them up. I loved this one-the banter between the main characters was brilliant

12/200 Mind Prey by John Sandford. I didn't like this one as much as I liked dead watch, the story was a little confusing to me.

Wow, 12 books in a month. Thought I was doing well with 9. Well done :thumbsup2

Book 3/15 - Dragonfly in Amber

It took me FOREVER to read. But now I can't wait for the next one.

:thumbsup2

8/60 - Unbroken: A World War II Book of Survival, Resilience and Recemption by Laura Hillenbrand - Louis Zamperini was a troublemaker turned track star who many say would have been the first to crack the 4 minute mile. Instead, WWII erupts and he is drafted as a bombadier. His plane crashes into the Pacific where he struggles to stay alive long enough to find land or be found. This book was gripping. I knew little about how widespread the Japanese war crimes were against POWs, and reading those passages were difficult. The story was very inspiring and moving, but I definitely needed to read a lighter book after this.

I haven't read the book but watched the movie over Christmas and absolutely loved it. I would imagine the book is heavy going though. Hope you find something lighthearted to read next :goodvibes

Book #9 of 50 - Me Without You by Kelly Rimmer

A story of how love can break our hearts – and heal them.

A year ago I met the love of my life. For two people who didn’t believe in love at first sight, we came pretty close.

Lilah MacDonald – beautiful, opinionated, stubborn and all kinds of wonderful in ways that words could never quite capture. The woman who taught me to live again.

My Lilah, who gave me so much, and yet kept from me a secret that she knew would break my heart.

My name is Callum Roberts, and this is our story.

Me Without You is a book to make you smile, bring you to tears and remind you to hold on tightly to those you love.

Let me preface this quick review by saying I am not a fan of love stories. I don't 'believe' in movie love (I'm not a cynic but I am a realist) and I don't really enjoy reading sappy books. However, this book had rave reviews and for some reason I decided to download it. I was less than 2 chapters in before deciding I was right and I really wasn't going to enjoy it, but at the beginning of the 3rd chapter something changed and I actually began to enjoy it. The story is told, mainly from the point of view of Callum, who meets Lilah on a ferry home from work in downtown Sydney, Australia. At the beginning, Lilah comes across as a spoiled, arrogant, not very nice woman and so much the opposite of Callum that you wonder how it would even have got past the first 'date' in reality. But, somehow, as I began to get to know Lilah better (through every other chapter, which consists of Lilah's own outpourings into her journal with her 'side' of the story) I found myself liking her more and more and rooting for the two of them to make it.

I cried and cried when I finished this book late last night, partly due to the ending (even though I knew what was coming) and partly because the book was over.

And even the one thing which irritated me more than any other book I've read recently (the fact that one of Lilah's journal entries was dated 31st September!!!!) couldn't take away from my enjoyment. This one is up there with The Light Between Oceans as stand outs from this year so far.

8 - Night Broken - Patricia Briggs 4.5 stars

9 - Crucible Zero - Devon Monk 4.5 Stars

10 - Illicit Night with the Greek - Susanna Carr 2.5 stars

11 - How Willa Got Her Groove Back - Emily McKay 3.5 stars

Finished book #7 - Maybe In Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This story was written differently in that each chapter alternates between 2 different scenarios based on the choice she makes one night. Soft of like a "What if?", we get to read 2 different directions her life goes into based on her decision. I will have to say towards the end I did get a little confused which chapter was with which storyline bc they both start to sound similar. It's a quick, light read. 3/5 stars

At the age of twenty-nine, Hannah Martin still has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She has lived in six different cities and held countless meaningless jobs since graduating college. On the heels of leaving yet another city, Hannah moves back to her hometown of Los Angeles and takes up residence in her best friend Gabby’s guestroom. Shortly after getting back to town, Hannah goes out to a bar one night with Gabby and meets up with her high school boyfriend, Ethan.
Just after midnight, Gabby asks Hannah if she’s ready to go. A moment later, Ethan offers to give her a ride later if she wants to stay. Hannah hesitates. What happens if she leaves with Gabby? What happens if she leaves with Ethan?
In concurrent storylines, Hannah lives out the effects of each decision. Quickly, these parallel universes develop into radically different stories with large-scale consequences for Hannah, as well as the people around her. As the two alternate realities run their course, Maybe in Another Life raises questions about fate and true love: Is anything meant to be? How much in our life is determined by chance? And perhaps, most compellingly: Is there such a thing as a soul mate?
Hannah believes there is. And, in both worlds, she believes she’s found him.

#15 - Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse likes living in Bon Temps, Louisiana, and she likes working as a cocktail waitress at Merlotte's. But she is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face-to-face with a beastly creature which gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it).

The point is: the vampires saved her life. So when one of her bloodsuckers asks for a favour, she obliges-and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave, and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly...

The more the books deviate from the show, the more I'm enjoying them. They're really fun, quick reads and I'm finding several of the major characters much more interesting on paper than they were on TV.

Book #7 of 50 - The Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark by Ridley Pearson

Having said that, I am currently reading the second one, because my friend told me that one was better that the first. I am not enjoying this one either (about quarter of the way through) so I don't know that I will bother to read any more of them.

This series didn't grab me either. I wanted to like them - DD read the whole series and loved them, and with my Disney obsession you'd think they'd be a natural fit. But I just couldn't get into them at all.

#7/72

Her by Harriet Lane
From the jacket:
Two different women, two different worlds. On the face of it, Emma and Nina have very little in common. Isolated and exhausted by early motherhood, Emma finds her confidence is fading fast. Nina is spphisticated and assured, a successful artist who seems to have it all under control. And yet, when the two women meet, they are irresistibly drawn to each other. As the friendship develops, as Emma gratefully invites Nina into her life, it emerges that someone is playing games and the stakes could not be higher.
What, exactly, does Nina see in Emma? What does she want? And how far will she go in pursuit of it?

Not too sure about this one. It kept my attention enough to want to find out what kind of grudge one had against the other, but the ending was totally unexpected and not to my liking.
If you like psychological thrillers you may like this one.

I would like to join in again this year. I will try for 50 books. I have read 3 so far and working on my 4th.

1/50 - Sweet salt air by Barbra Delinsky
2/50 - Dark Witch by Nora Roberts
3/50 - Fantastic Beasts and where to find them by JK Rowling (aka: Newt Scamander)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter