Annual Passes and Military tickets

TheLittles

Mouseketeer
first off, is there a military discount for AP? I'm guessing not but I figured I would ask. Second. What if I had an AP but my family did not and I wanted to buy them Military discounted tickets? Would I be able to just buy theirs as long as I'm there to activate them or do I have to buy one for myself and have it activated too basically wasting money?

you can go to your local itt and buy them, you will save on the tax, but not really discounted the way the military 3 or 4 day deal is... as far as rest of your question.. if you go to the promotion page on here, there are a few really good posts that answers a lot! http://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-promotions-and-celebrations-current-promot.147/
I have an annual pass and have bought the Military Salute tickets for other family members. You just have to be present to activate them.

first off, is there a military discount for AP? I'm guessing not but I figured I would ask. Second. What if I had an AP but my family did not and I wanted to buy them Military discounted tickets? Would I be able to just buy theirs as long as I'm there to activate them or do I have to buy one for myself and have it activated too basically wasting money?

You can buy and activate 5 of the 6 possible military salute tickets for family- the 6th one can only be activated for the military member or spouse (whomever is activating them).

The answer to your question is yes, you would be able to buy your family Military Salute Passes (as long as you are there to activate them) without buying one for yourself. If you wanted to buy them the normal passes at your military base, you could gift them without being present.

The answer to your question is yes, you would be able to buy your family Military Salute Passes (as long as you are there to activate them) without buying one for yourself. If you wanted to buy them the normal passes at your military base, you could gift them without being present.
I know this is an old thread but figured it was worth trying here without starting a new one. Are you sure about this? Everything else I'm reading says the military member (or spouse) MUST buy one for themselves as well. "TheLittles" - have you tried this yet? My son has an AP (and is a Navy Ensign) and would like to buy one for his GF when she comes to visit but we've been being told he can't unless he buys one for himself and activates for the same dates? Thanks!

I know this is an old thread but figured it was worth trying here without starting a new one. Are you sure about this? Everything else I'm reading says the military member (or spouse) MUST buy one for themselves as well. "TheLittles" - have you tried this yet? My son has an AP (and is a Navy Ensign) and would like to buy one for his GF when she comes to visit but we've been being told he can't unless he buys one for himself and activates for the same dates? Thanks!

Yes PP is correct. Steve over at the Military Disney site is an AP holder and only buys Salute tickets for those going with him. It's in his FAQ page.

Yes, the "must buy one for themselves" means that if you're getting all 6, one has to be for the servicemember. Otherwise, the servicemember can only get 5. We had APs and bought the MS tickets for family members more than once and activated them without getting one for my husband (the military member of record).

...Are you sure about this? Everything else I'm reading says the military member (or spouse) MUST buy one for themselves as well...My son has an AP (and is a Navy Ensign) and would like to buy one for his GF when she comes to visit but we've been being told he can't unless he buys one for himself and activates for the same dates? Thanks!
Yes, I am sure, LOL! I have done it multiple times!

Okay, thanks everyone! Glad to know people have actually done it and weren't just being told that by a random phone CM (you know, the ask 3 different CM's and get 3 different answers type!). As you can tell, the phone CM we talked to told us differently and it did look like from the passage she was quoting that maybe she was right.

So if we're here in Orlando (we're local and he's working with Navy recruiting for the summer), would you recommend he go to Shades of Green or the ITT office by the airport to buy the ticket and save the tax? Can he do that before she's here and then just show his ID again when they actually go to the park in a couple weeks? If she has to be there I'm thinking it would be easier to just buy from a ticket booth and pay the tax rather than waste time driving to SOG. Thanks again!

If your Navy son is getting the salute ticket for his GF, then he has to buy that ticket from SOG or the ITT office. I've used both, and both were easy. There was a much longer line when I used SOG and not at the ITT office. Otherwise, if he is just buying a regular ticket, it is cheaper, and unless he does not mind saving money, I'd take the time to go to the ITT office and get the ticket for her. If he gets the Salute ticket, he'll have to stop at guest services to activate it.

He can go either place to buy the ticket tax-free, and activate it at the park when they arrive. Everyone is supposed to be there for activation, not necessarily for purchase. I've bought ones for family at my local ITT office and activated them at a park or at DTD. He just has to go to Guest Relations to activate, showing his ID.

Tickets can be bought at Guest Relations, as well, but you have to pay tax.

You are right about being told 3 different things by 3 different CM's! Lol! Several years ago, I had a 3 day Military ticket gifted to me by my parents for Christmas. When I went to Downtown Disney Guest Relations to activate the ticket, I was told I had to have the Military Member with me. I explained that "No, these are not the Military Salute passes". She argued again and again that it did not matter, all pass types must have the military member present. So I told her to go get her supervisor. When she came back she had a slight attitude and said they would be activating them just this once "as a courtesy"... I smiled and thanked her. But I am sure her boss told her something different.o_O

You do not have to buy the Salute tickets at SOG or ITT. You can buy them at any gate at any park, but you will have to pay the tax. Perhaps weighing the cost of having to go to SOG or ITT against the tax would be in order.

If your Navy son is getting the salute ticket for his GF, then he has to buy that ticket from SOG or the ITT office. I've used both, and both were easy. There was a much longer line when I used SOG and not at the ITT office. Otherwise, if he is just buying a regular ticket, it is cheaper, and unless he does not mind saving money, I'd take the time to go to the ITT office and get the ticket for her. If he gets the Salute ticket, he'll have to stop at guest services to activate it.

Hello all! Does anyone know this: I purchased the 4 day salute tickets for a family trip we are taking at my local base and will be at Disney for a day by myself next week (without the rest of the people using the tickets in December). Can I activate the tickets for myself and my family for the December trip without any of them there? Just thought it would be one less thing to do. :)

Hello all! Does anyone know this: I purchased the 4 day salute tickets for a family trip we are taking at my local base and will be at Disney for a day by myself next week (without the rest of the people using the tickets in December). Can I activate the tickets for myself and my family for the December trip without any of them there? Just thought it would be one less thing to do. :)

If you have all of the information, you can try. The worst thing that would happen is they say no, and you have to do it when they get there. Might as well ask when you activate yours.

Our experience was that even though they said they were all set and activated, when we got to the tapstiles on first use they flashed blue and they still sent us to the ticket booth to show the ID. Could just be the specific CM and how they put them in but I think the point is keeping you from activating several of them in advance and then selling them on ebay or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter