• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual pass holder- discount- something I didn't know

I hate people are having problems with using their AP discounts. We only had to show id twice when using ours. It's not a bad rule, though. It seems like it shouldn't even be a question when it comes to kids.

I think it is kind of strange that you all don't get it. When it is your pass and your discount you have to be the one with the money. You can't appear to take it from someone else. Appearances are everything, and it appears as if you are buying that item for someone else. Which is not allowed.

We have the same rule where I work. We get a discount. If we are seen taking money from someone and making a purchase, we are fired on the spot. Of course anyone with half a brain will either get the money before hand, or afterwards. Off of company property. It is all in what it appears to be.
We actually say 'perception is reality' around here. Kind of fits these situations.
I think it's kinda strange that you don't get the difference.
The situation is identicial. The person with the AP is the one who gets the perk. Most adults hold their own money. If you are planning on buying something, with your pass, then it would behoove you to get the money from them prior to getting to the register.
My issue, again, is with the kids. If a child is allowed to buy something, using his/her AP for the discount, then one would think that the CM would be fine with the parent handing the child the pass and the money. My family still hands me their passes!!! And my dd is 19!!!

But, in all reality??? There just aren't all that many kids moseying up to the counters at WDW to buy stuff with APs! But, the CMs could be a bit more accommodating if a child does!!!

I think it's kinda strange that you don't get the difference.

Really? Someone not the AP holder is handing over money to pay for something. That is not acceptable according to Disney (and according to my workplace as well). Even if it is your money, it looks like someone else's money. The place of business doesn't have to figure out who the money belongs to. It shouldn't even be a question at that point.

Your AP, you have to complete the purchase. The payment has to come from you. And not come from the hands of someone else. Simple.

I wouldn't let it get to you. The cm wasn't the one who makes up the rules. If the cm had let your sister pay for it with your AP, then, what would stop me standing by a cash register in say, mouse gear and for every person who made a purchase I asked the cm to use my AP so that person could get discount?
Obviously that wouldn't happen and I'm not saying anyone here would do that. But the rules are there for a reason. Sorry about what happened. Whether you agree with their policy or not. Atleast next time you will know what to do :)

I am an AP holder but my mom isn't. She was buying Duffy outfits for my daughter so I went with her so I could use the AP discount. Mom said she'd pay for it and had cash. The cashier wouldn't take it from her so she handed it to me and I had to hand it to him lol.

This sounds like the time I was in LAX and tried to go past security with two bags. The lady stopped me, said I couldn't go past her with two bags.One was my handbag and one was a shopping bag with a Giant Stitch Plush. So I stepped to the side, put one bag inside the other one, she SAW ME DO THIS and then let me through :rotfl2: Once I was through, I separated the two bags again.

So you would be okay with someone digging through your wallet while you were sleeping? Somehow I doubt that. It would have been entirely different had he ASKED to use the AP for the discount to buy her daughter the purse. He apparently thought it was appropriate to go through her wallet while she was asleep and take the AP, there's no reason he couldn't have also thought to take something else while he was in there. I don't think that's a huge leap, but I guess you do. All I was pointing out was that she had someone digging through her wallet as she slept, at least all he took was the AP instead of her cash or credit card number.

There are people in my life that I am very comfortable with them rummaging around my wallet. I don't think that was the point of her post but I understand what you mean.

Really? Someone not the AP holder is handing over money to pay for something. That is not acceptable according to Disney (and according to my workplace as well). Even if it is your money, it looks like someone else's money. The place of business doesn't have to figure out who the money belongs to. It shouldn't even be a question at that point.

Your AP, you have to complete the purchase. The payment has to come from you. And not come from the hands of someone else. Simple.

Hey there Maxiesmom!

I think your opinion, though, is unreasonable. If I took my son to the Magic Kingdom and he wanted a sweat shirt and he handed me the money to pay for it why would Disney care they're still getting the money, no one is stealing anything. What is the big deal? What if he was holding my $$$$ in his pocket? I think this is really getting down to the gnat's eyelash. Personally, it shouldn't be a big deal. Like I said he could be holding on to my hard earned cash! LOL! Just my .02 cents. :)

We actually say 'perception is reality' around here. Kind of fits these situations.

The situation is identicial. The person with the AP is the one who gets the perk. Most adults hold their own money. If you are planning on buying something, with your pass, then it would behoove you to get the money from them prior to getting to the register.
My issue, again, is with the kids. If a child is allowed to buy something, using his/her AP for the discount, then one would think that the CM would be fine with the parent handing the child the pass and the money. My family still hands me their passes!!! And my dd is 19!!!

But, in all reality??? There just aren't all that many kids moseying up to the counters at WDW to buy stuff with APs! But, the CMs could be a bit more accommodating if a child does!!!
:rotfl: Mine too, and she's 20.

Strangely enough, I was encouraged by a cm to use someone else's before I got an AP. I was buying a couple of expensive items and asked if they did discounts for DVC or Disney Visa. He said no, they only offered an AP and the one that covered WDW and DL. I said, "well darn. I haven't upgraded yet and my friend who had a pass holder (I think that's the name) is in a different part of the park". He smiled and told me it would sure help my wallet out if I found my friend first and told me how much.

I think it's interesting that you guys seem to care where the money comes from. Sometimes I think you guys take the side of Disney no matter what the subject matter is. Just because they're Disney doesn't make them automatically right.

If I hand my wife $100 to pay for something she wants to buy, it's nobody's business where it comes from. I also don't have to be clandestine about it unless I choose to. That's nobody's business either.

Last time I checked, it's not against the law to give somebody money. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

You all are missing the fundamental principle here and getting lost in details that don't and shouldn't matter, IMO.

I find it funny that Disney would let us get 3 rooms with our AP discount for family to stay.. And then count pennies for what people would buy with their AP discounts... Even to the point that you are buying gifts for your own children...
My daughter's boyfriend wasn't in my purse but my waist pack.. Did I like it? Not really, but it was already done..
Was I going to fight over while I was on my trip? No..
Was anything missing? No
My point was that he was able to do and buy something for my daughter without me being there...

W

I disagree, the situations are much different. Perks of a job and perks of a paid pass are 2 very different things and the users of the perks should be treated differently. Its much easier for an employer to make an assumption on a staff member taking advantage then it is to a retailer to make that same assumption of a customer.

As someone who works in a retail environment and manages a staff of people my staff are trained to always error on the side of the customer.

It is hands down bad training for the CM to hold there line in this situation. Now thats not to say its the CMs fault. This is a management issue of the retail locations. Point proven that if you go up to any Guest Service location and explain the situation they would correct the issue and give the Guest the discount.

Lets not forget that the margins on these items are in the 50 to 60% area if not more so disney is making money regardless if they give you the discount or not.

I think it's interesting that you guys seem to care where the money comes from. Sometimes I think you guys take the side of Disney no matter what the subject matter is. Just because they're Disney doesn't make them automatically right.

If I hand my wife $100 to pay for something she wants to buy, it's nobody's business where it comes from. I also don't have to be clandestine about it unless I choose to. That's nobody's business either.

Last time I checked, it's not against the law to give somebody money. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

You all are missing the fundamental principle here and getting lost in details that don't and shouldn't matter, IMO.

My thoughts exactly! :)

I think it is kind of strange that you all don't get it. When it is your pass and your discount you have to be the one with the money. You can't appear to take it from someone else. Appearances are everything, and it appears as if you are buying that item for someone else. Which is not allowed.

I can get it in the case of a real-world venue. I don't get it on vacation, where people are less likely to follow their normal habits of carrying a purse/wallet. I don't think it is appropriate customer service to ignore that reality, particularly in regards to couples or parent-child relationships. It is absolutely absurd that I should have to think about whether I might have a problem because when letting DH hold my AP and TiW he's also holding my money, or worry that my if my 11yo DD hands me something she wants to buy out of the souvenir allowance I give her it might be reason for a CM to deny use of my AP discount.

A few random thoughts.

1) Common sense dictates that a child giving a $1.50 item to his mother to buy, then the mother is paying for it, and not the child. In fact, common sense dictates a lot of things in this discussion. Why hold up the line while the cashier has to make change out of a hundred dollar bill when the bill was $65.05, and the customer only had a hundred, three twenties and a five (no change). When the customer's husband had a nickel.

As I said, common sense. However, almost all of my co-workers and I have been warned and/or written up for applying common sense to a work situation.

2) And how about that parent who's shopping while the DH and kids are riding Space Mountain. Certainly, she's not buying those child-sized sweatshirts and Mickey ears for herself.

3) Logical solution for children spending money in a situation like this...have their money placed on gift cards. Mom keeps the gift cards, then uses them as necessary. At the end of the trip, if there's any left over, the cards are used for family Dole Whips, and Mom reimburses the child for their portion of the gift card balance.

There are no stories of management upholding any of these mistakes by cm clerks. Which leads me to believe this isn't policy, but just poorly informed CM clerks. So, I can't understand defending Disney in this situation - it isn't there policy.

But, this is a valuable thread because apparently there are quite few poorly trained CM cashiers. I will be prepared to address if it happens to me, IF I don't join WilsonFlyer and just not buy any souvenirs.:)

I didn't bother to read all the responses.

I've used my AP pass many, many times to ring up family or friend's items. I've never had any problems and quite frankly, never thought anything of it. The last time though, the cashier sort of paused for a moment as if she were in an awkward situation and then just rang us up. At that point I realised, Doh! I'm probably not supped to do that. :idea:

From now on I plan to either ring it up myself or warn the person I am with that they may not accept it. Like I said, I've never had a problem (anymore than I have ever had a problem using my husband's TIW card when I didn't pay the extra $50 for one of my own). But if they tell me no, I certainly wouldn't get upset about it.

I can get it in the case of a real-world venue. I don't get it on vacation, where people are less likely to follow their normal habits of carrying a purse/wallet. I don't think it is appropriate customer service to ignore that reality, particularly in regards to couples or parent-child relationships. It is absolutely absurd that I should have to think about whether I might have a problem because when letting DH hold my AP and TiW he's also holding my money, or worry that my if my 11yo DD hands me something she wants to buy out of the souvenir allowance I give her it might be reason for a CM to deny use of my AP discount.

:thumbsup2 Great post!

I work in retail, and I must say I agree with Disney on this one.

By definition, the "customer" is the one with the money in their hands, who gives the money to the cashier. It doesn't matter who's nearby, or who has what card. The customer is the person paying.

Say, for example, a father and a teenager walk into a convenience store. They grab a sixpack of beer & place it on the counter. The teen then tries to give the cashier money to pay for it, saying it's Dad's money, and Dad has an ID. The cashier would probably be arrested for processing the transaction. If the Dad wants beer, Dad gives the cashier the money, and Dad shows his ID.

Obviously, beer and shirts are different items, but the principle is still the same. The person buying is the person paying.

I work in retail, and I must say I agree with Disney on this one.

By definition, the "customer" is the one with the money in their hands, who gives the money to the cashier. It doesn't matter who's nearby, or who has what card. The customer is the person paying.

Say, for example, a father and a teenager walk into a convenience store. They grab a sixpack of beer & place it on the counter. The teen then tries to give the cashier money to pay for it, saying it's Dad's money, and Dad has an ID. The cashier would probably be arrested for processing the transaction. If the Dad wants beer, Dad gives the cashier the money, and Dad shows his ID.

Obviously, beer and shirts are different items, but the principle is still the same. The person buying is the person paying.

:)

There is NO way it is the same as a CM denying the purchase if a minor son gives his dad some money out of his pocket so dad can purchase a t-shirt. Dad is there with an ID and an AP, this purchase will be approved by every manager at every store every time. For all other shady deals, the loopholes are so large it would be impossible to prevent it.

As others have said, the 10% discount is not worth the hassle for sales manager for all the examples listed on this thread.

And I am willing to bet that if someone came in with a $300.00-$500.00 purchase with their AP discount, the customer would be treated like gold by the manager also! No questions asked about where the money came from or where those little t-shirts are going. Just a great big smile and plenty of thank yous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter