Annual Pass and DDP

darthspud

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure where to put this so if it needs to be moved no problem.

I am purchasing an annual pass for my trip in August and I currently have the room only discount book I would like to add the quick service dining plan but I do not want to purchase a park pass.. It is my understanding that annual pass holders can book the dining plan with out adding park passes does this have to be done with only an annual pass holder room? or can it be done with any room discount as long as you have an annual pass?

I have an annual pass and was able to book a room with the dining plan. I think it depends on when you go. You should call and let them know you're a passholder and ask what's available. I ended up with a much cheaper room and the dining plan!

A room with a dining plan is a different kind of animal, a different product, compared with room-only. It has a single price for each resort, for each level of occupancy (number of people) and time of year (value season, holiday season, etc.).

When you change from room only to dining plan, (or from dining plan to buy-4-get-3-free, etc). you are actually cancelling what you got and booking anew.

The number of packages of each kind (free dining, regular dining, AP, etc.) for any resort on any given week is limited.

AP holders can buy the DDP without having to buy a park ticket only if they are paying rack rate for the room or if they are using an AP discount for the room. If you are using a PIN code, a GP code, Bounceback deal, or free dining, then you must buy at least a one day park ticket (two day park ticket for free dining this year) just like anyone else.

For example last fall I booked a room at rack rate for May 1st-9th. I told the CM I had an AP and so was able to add the DDP without buying a park ticket. When I was at WDW in Dec I switched that reservation to the 35% off bounceback deal. The CM mentioned that with the Bounceback deals I'd have to buy at least a one day ticket for everyone in the room, even though I had an AP. I knew that but even buying one day tickets the ressie was cheaper, so I did so. About a week after we got back, AP discounts came out and so I called and switched the ressie to that. It saved me an extra 5% on the room and plus I was able to cancel the one day park tickets I didn't need and was still able to keep the DDP.

I currently have two more bounceback 35% off deals booked for Oct and Dec. For those deals to add the DDP, I had to buy one day park tickets (even though I have an AP). However, when/if AP discounts come out for those dates then I'll be calling to switch to that discount and so will be able to cancel those one day park tickets. If AP discounts don't come out, then I'll be stuck having to buy one day park tickets because they are required for the bounceback deals or any GP deals that may come out.

Last spring I booked the buy 4 get 3 free deal, but even though I had an AP I still had to buy a one day ticket in order to add the DDP because that deal required them. The same thing happened for our trip last Dec. I originally booked under a % off PIN, then switched to a GP offer, then to an AP discount, then finally to free dining. A one day park ticket was required for every deal, except the AP discount. Again the only way to get out of buying one day park tickets is with a rack rate room or a room booked under an AP discount. Any other room discount is going to require a one day ticket in order to add the DDP.

Just FYI: you can not just add the DDP to a room only ressie. When an AP holder adds the DDP to a room it becomes a ticketless pkg with all the pkg rules attached to it (must be paid in full by 45 days out and penalties for canceling less than 45 days out, etc).

You will need to book at room package at a Annual Passholder rate which is discounted and lets you add the Dining Plan without purchasing ticket media. Go to the Annual Passholder site on Disney and you can see the current room specials good through August 14th. They haven't released fall AP Specials yet.

ok since there is currently no annual pass rate for august but there is a room only plan if i wanted to use that then i would have to buy at least a 1 day ticket?

ok since there is currently no annual pass rate for august but there is a room only plan if i wanted to use that then i would have to buy at least a 1 day ticket?

Yes (one for everyone in the room), for now. When/if an AP discount comes out for August then you could switch to that and cancel the one day ticket. Usually AP discounts are just a tad better than general public or PINs discounts anyway, plus you wouldn't have to buy that one day ticket for everyone in the room. You might want to check over on the codes and discounts threads over on the Resorts forum. This question gets asked alot of there.

If I remember correctly AP rates for late Aug ususaly come out ouround the 20-25th of june with the public rates coming our 2-3 days later.

bookwormde

Mayby I'm missing something but...

If you're "purchasing an annual pass" for your trip in Aug I assume you don't have it yet.
If that's the case why not just convert you're room only to a package with regular tickets and DDP. Depending which is cheaper either go with,
Deluxe - get the room rate discount and pay for tickets and the DDP
Moderate/Vaule - pay full room rate, buy the tickets and get the free DDP or QSDP

Then when you arrive, go to a park and pay the difference to upgrade your tickets to Annual Passes.

Only works the first trip but this way you don't have to buy the AP and regular tickets just to get the DDP.

I'm headed to WL Aug 17-31 and this is what I'm planning to do.:thumbsup2

Modan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter