• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Announcing Guests

Photographer

Earning My Ears
I understand that when a family boards the ship the are announced as The Smith Family, for example. If one is traveling solo do they announce your full name as in, Lisa Smith?

I understand that when a family boards the ship the are announced as The Smith Family, for example. If one is traveling solo do they announce your full name as in, Lisa Smith?

The CMs don't know in advance who you are :) They will ask you who you are as you step onto the ship -- in other words, they announce whatever you tell them to announce :)

It was nice when the CC members had the lanyards and the crew would announce "Welcome the Smith family back again" or something like that. My kids wanted to know how the crew knew we had cruised before since we only gave them our last name. I had to point out to them that Mommy was wearing her CC lanyard so they knew we had sailed before.

Sorry, just another gripe about no more lanyards....

Am I the only one who thinks this is going to be a little awkward?

Maybe I'm just easily embarrassed! :scared:

There are 2 Cm's doing this, one at each door. They do give each other the chance to speak, but they are right on announcing the next name. Honestly it happens VERY fast, and nobody notices but yourselves....
:)

Not only does it happen so fast, it is so loud in the atrium, you barely hear the anoouncement yourself. It is not like a stop and lets do the red carpet thing with flashing cameras. What happens is right after they stop you to take your picture, you enter the walkway to the ship. They ask who you are, you can say anything. Last cruise, my DD announced she was "princess......" they sort of chuckled and the CM said we have "pricess ....... and her family." We all laughed and my DF behind us did not even hear it. There is so much busy stuff going on in the atrium with people entering and the first time cruisers staring at the walls and the ceiling and the past cruisers running to GS or to book things and excited children running around without parents stopping them, that you bearly hear it yourself. Not trying to disappoint you, just rest assure, you will not at all be embarrassed.:hippie:

And....if as you are standing there watching others board you decide that you don't want to be "announced," just tell the CM that and he/she will let you pass through.

And, I'll echo the above--they will ask for the family name, but they will announce whatever you tell them. DD usually gives them our "count" for number of cruises.

We also had them announce that it was my parents' golden wedding anniversary, and they got a nice round of applause.

Newell and I were wondering about this as well. Good to know we can use the opportunity to shamelessly plug the podcast :)

we're getting married in florida then on the Wonder on 3rd of November next year, and really looking forward to this, being announced as Mr and Mrs Best for probably the time in public

Not only does it happen so fast, it is so loud in the atrium, you barely hear the anoouncement yourself. It is not like a stop and lets do the red carpet thing with flashing cameras. What happens is right after they stop you to take your picture, you enter the walkway to the ship. They ask who you are, you can say anything. Last cruise, my DD announced she was "princess......" they sort of chuckled and the CM said we have "pricess ....... and her family." We all laughed and my DF behind us did not even hear it. There is so much busy stuff going on in the atrium with people entering and the first time cruisers staring at the walls and the ceiling and the past cruisers running to GS or to book things and excited children running around without parents stopping them, that you bearly hear it yourself. Not trying to disappoint you, just rest assure, you will not at all be embarrassed.:hippie:

I have to agree, this is a sort of cute "blink and you'll miss it" sort of thing - its very easy not to hear your OWN name.

Its fairly common to give city, state as well - Welcome the Smith family of Boise!

I have a different last name, but have either "allowed" myself to be part of the "Smith" family (I am, afterall, a member - even if it isn't my name) or we've had the kids announced by first name. "Princess Maddie and Family" is charming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter