Announcing Family name as you board

asunutgirl

DIS Veteran
Our last cruise we were on the ship early and went right to Guest Services for something. While we were standing there, we were listening to all the families get announced. Several of them gave names that didn't sound like they were real - they were very funny. (For the life of me, I can't remember what they were.) Anyone else do this as they board? We've always been boring and used our real last name. (Husband has said I'm not allowed to say we are the Seymour Butts family.)

Our last cruise we were on the ship early and went right to Guest Services for something. While we were standing there, we were listening to all the families get announced. Several of them gave names that didn't sound like they were real - they were very funny. (For the life of me, I can't remember what they were.) Anyone else do this as they board? We've always been boring and used our real last name. (Husband has said I'm not allowed to say we are the Seymour Butts family.)
DCL used announce whatever name(s) you gave. But, about a year or so ago, they started not allowing "cute" names (such as the one you're suggesting). It's pretty much strictly "the Adams family" or "Princess Sarah and her entourage" or "Helen, Bill, and Sammy" now.

They did not allow us to use
Prince DGS name and entourage.

Last edited:
Last cruise I asked that we be announced as "We Remembered Our Passports This Time!" family (long story) they said it wasn't allowed.

When we boarded in October for our Halloween sailing, we told them we were the Skellingtons (and they did it). Either they didn't get it or didn't care. My DH looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock and die as everyone looked over to see the Skellingtons. :P

I will decline it if I can't be announced as Anita Martini. Used that one for years. When they did allow it, they probably wouldn't have accepted "Seymour Butts" but I do remember someone who got announced as the "Manson Family" (their name wasn't Manson)

I mostly sail with extended family and the last name initials spell OKAY and we never had any problem being announced as the OKAY family. Once with friends we used the young girls name and were announced as Princess Kathrine and her entourage quite easily. However last year it was just my aunt and myself, different last names. We forgot to think about the announcement before boarding and when asked we just blankly stared at the crew member. Then he goes "You are family aren't you?" Then because I was thinking of our last names I said "NO" rather sharply. Then my aunt looked upset I said that! Then she said something that confused him even more. By the time it was all over with I am sure he would have gladly announced us however we wanted just to get rid of us. We just chose our first names though.

For names like this I am GLAD that they stopped doing the "non real" names

I mostly sail with extended family and the last name initials spell OKAY and we never had any problem being announced as the OKAY family. Once with friends we used the young girls name and were announced as Princess Kathrine and her entourage quite easily. However last year it was just my aunt and myself, different last names. We forgot to think about the announcement before boarding and when asked we just blankly stared at the crew member. Then he goes "You are family aren't you?" Then because I was thinking of our last names I said "NO" rather sharply. Then my aunt looked upset I said that! Then she said something that confused him even more. By the time it was all over with I am sure he would have gladly announced us however we wanted just to get rid of us. We just chose our first names though.

Ha ha - that's funny! I love the Okay family. We have a very boring last name. And for record, I wouldn't ask to be the Seymour Butts family but DH has some high school buddies that would. Ha ha. We are sailing with only one kid this time so maybe we will try Princess Megan and her entourage. (After the day I had, that is pretty much what it feels like around here anyway...)

I cruised with a group of a dozen friends and we had a group name that was rather long and silly, the CM let one of our party say it into the mic as we boarded. This was just this past November. Can't say if it hasn't changed since then. I'm kind of hoping they introduce me as 10 year Cancer Victor Kim, when I board the Wonder for my PC Repo celebration cruise.

I do remember someone who got announced as the "Manson Family" (their name wasn't Manson)

DH and I have different last names so he keeps telling me that he's going to say the Manson Family. He's tried a couple of times but I'm prepared. When they ask for family name, as soon as he opens his mouth and tries to speak, I poke him hard and talk loudly over him and give them my name (his is a little hard to say anyway). I even make sure that I'm on the right hand side as we board so that he's farther away from the CMs.

It's so bad but I laughed out loud at the thought of people getting introduced as the "Manson family"!

My partner and I both have European surnames... mine isn't so hard but a lot of people have a hard time understanding it? My partner's is Polish so it's a complete nightmare trying to get people to pronounce... so we just use first names :)

I wonder if they'd do, "The Fa Family" and impersonate the soldier announcer in Mulan. :D

Will they say two different last names? I'm trying to figure out how they can say my son's last name (from another marriage) and my daughter's and our last name also.

I'm pretty sure last November my step daughter gave them both of our names with no problem. Combined they don't exactly roll off the tongue, but they did their best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter