Anniversary dinner....Yacthsman or Le Cellier ...or?

krissypoo1975

Earning My Ears
We are celebrating our 14th anniversary with our four kids on September 25th. I know both places have their fans but since Yacthsman doesn't have the porterhouse I'm not sure that is where my husband would want to go. He loves steak!!!!!!!! Between the two which is the winner? Le Cellier would be much easier to get to from Poly. Thanks for the opinions

We are celebrating our 14th anniversary with our four kids on September 25th. I know both places have their fans but since Yacthsman doesn't have the porterhouse I'm not sure that is where my husband would want to go. He loves steak!!!!!!!! Between the two which is the winner? Le Cellier would be much easier to get to from Poly. Thanks for the opinions

We just ate at Yachtsman on 8/20 and I can tell you that they most certainly do have a porterhouse, I believe it's like 28 oz. as that's what my DH ate and I can tell you the steak took up almost his entire plate :). We have eaten at both restaurants and if you're looking for a quieter atmosphere, then I would choose Yachtsman over LeCellier. While we have enjoyed LeCellier in the past, our last experience a few years back was not great and it was way too noisy for our liking.

We just ate at Yachtsman on 8/20 and I can tell you that they most certainly do have a porterhouse, I believe it's like 28 oz. as that's what my DH ate and I can tell you the steak took up almost his entire plate :). We have eaten at both restaurants and if you're looking for a quieter atmosphere, then I would choose Yachtsman over LeCellier. While we have enjoyed LeCellier in the past, our last experience a few years back was not great and it was way too noisy for our liking.

28oz????? Could he walk after eating that? Yikes!!!

We have ADRs at LeCellier on our arrival day. Never been to either so would love to hear what you chose and about the experience.

We would definitely choose Yachtsman. It's an excellent restaurant and DH & I have enjoyed the steaks there. Its a very nice atmosphere too, and good for the kids...our DDs loved it here as well.

Thanks so much for the thoughts and opinions. Keep them coming. We are definitely going for steak. And my DH could easily without a thought put away 28 oz! Scary I know. Lol! 6 oz is more than enough for me

I liked Yachtsman a lot in January... But everyone I've talked to says the best steak you can get at Disney is at Shula's at the Dolphin. It's not on the dining plan though.

They have a 48oz Porterhouse on their menu. :eek:

My vote goes to Le Cellier.

Both Le Cellier and Yachtsman have excellent steaks and cook them to the requested temperature. In that way, there was no difference between the two rib eyes that I had. So it comes down to the other parts of the meal. For me, I really like the Cheddar Cheese Soup and pretzel bread sticks at Le Cellier as an appetizer. The salad at Yachtsman tasted good, but I found it kind of hard to eat. It's part of a lettuce head that's been grilled and served whole, so you'll need to cut it with a knife. In terms of dessert, they were okay at both places, so this ones a draw. In terms of the sides, the mushroom risotto at Le Cellier is one of my favorite sides and I'm glad that it can be substituted for the fries with the rib eye (I usually have the filet mignon at LC, but I was giving the rib eye a try). The side at Yachtsman...bone marrow...was, um, err...awful. Next time, I'd try a different side. In terms of service, I think Yachtsman is better than LC. I've had hit or miss service at LC...it's certainly not always on par with the other Signature restaurants. FInally in terms of atmosphere and decor, it kind of depends on what you like. Yachtsman has space between the tables and a more open feeling. The decorations are a mish-mash of nautical and cowboy, which is a little weird. Le Cellier has tables that are very close together and low lighting (you're supposed to be in a wine cellar). I don't think you'd have a "bad" meal at either place, so it really comes down to what you want to order...if you want the giant Porterhouse, then that's only at Yachtsman. :)

Our last anniversary dinner was at Artist Point, and I can't say enough what a wonderful experience it was. From the manager greeting us, the complimentary champagne, the personalized menus, etc. it was a truly memorable experience for our anniversary. However, I don't remember if they have steak.

THe 28 oz. Porterhouse at Yachtsman is currently not on the menu as of a few days ago and I am very upset as we have reservations on the 18th of this month for our anniversary. I called and all they could tell me is that it has been removed and they don't know why or if it will be back. We are on the deluxe dining plan so that really stinks.

I am now thinking of switching over to Shula's and pay out of pocket however we tried Shula's once and it was really not worth the 250.00 we spent for the two of us. I will say being original from Chicago I am spoiled with the abundance of fabulous steakhouses I grew up with. Shula's was really really bland, the steaks had zero flavor. We are hoping it was just an off night as I will always give restaurants at least two tries before writing them off.

Overall I am very sad about the menu change at Yachtsman as we were so looking forward to it.

We've been to both, and just had our anniversary dinner at Yachtsman, so that would be my vote! Le Cellier is ok, but it just feels so loud and crowded. I like the atmosphere better at Yachtsman. I'm not a steak person, but my husband is, and he prefers Yachtsman. Have a great trip!

In any comparison of Le Cellier and Yachtsman, the winner will be Yachtsman. Base it on quality of food, service, ambiance, whatever.

If the OP is interested in an even better steak, consider Shulas at the Dolphin or Bull & Bear at the Waldorf (Bonnet Creek).

oddly (and i know this really does sound weird), the best steak i've had on property was at flying fish. it's really outstanding.

28oz????? Could he walk after eating that? Yikes!!!

We have ADRs at LeCellier on our arrival day. Never been to either so would love to hear what you chose and about the experience.

It honestly was enormous...my youngest DD took a pic on her phone and yes, he ate the whole thing but in fairness to him, he skipped lunch that day to "prepare" himself as he put it :)

THe 28 oz. Porterhouse at Yachtsman is currently not on the menu as of a few days ago and I am very upset as we have reservations on the 18th of this month for our anniversary. I called and all they could tell me is that it has been removed and they don't know why or if it will be back. We are on the deluxe dining plan so that really stinks.

I am now thinking of switching over to Shula's and pay out of pocket however we tried Shula's once and it was really not worth the 250.00 we spent for the two of us. I will say being original from Chicago I am spoiled with the abundance of fabulous steakhouses I grew up with. Shula's was really really bland, the steaks had zero flavor. We are hoping it was just an off night as I will always give restaurants at least two tries before writing them off.

Overall I am very sad about the menu change at Yachtsman as we were so looking forward to it.

That's very odd, I wonder why they would change it?

We've been to both, and just had our anniversary dinner at Yachtsman, so that would be my vote! Le Cellier is ok, but it just feels so loud and crowded. I like the atmosphere better at Yachtsman. I'm not a steak person, but my husband is, and he prefers Yachtsman. Have a great trip!

I'm not a huge fan of Le Cellier, its not bad, but not good enough to be a Signature in my opinion. The steak at Yachtsman is very good, the dry aged bone in rib eye was always my favorite and at least one recent post suggests that it might be back on the menu. We've also had particularly memorable service on multiple visits to the Yachtsman, on our recent anniversary trip we actually had the same server as our honeymoon, Yun. Yun is probably the best server we've ever had in WDW and really went the extra mile to make our day on each of our experiences with her.

Best individual steak I had (twice) last month was the 21 day dry aged bone in Ribeye at Le Cellier. Just wonderful, cooked to perfection, and huge, like 24 oz.

The best overall steakhouse experience I had last month was at Shula's, from the incredible service, great apps, knowledgeable sommaliers, and great dry aged steaks, right to dessert (soufflé) and coffee....everything was impeccable, although lacking in Disney atmosphere. Oh, and Shula's is a better value than other steakhouses at WDW.

I've soured a bit on Yachtsman's after our visit last month, though I will give them another shot. We have been there numerous times over the past 5 years, and enjoyed it very much. What's wrong? Subjectively, the recent renovations and menu changes are not to our liking. But menus change, and will change again, and the atmosphere is still wonderful. Objectively, Yachtsman's suffers from not being able to live up to what it wants, or holds itself out, to be. It wants to be a premium steakhouse, but, as good as it can be, it falls short of the mark in everything but the steakhouse prices. Yes, they have the cool looking butcher's cooler where they "age" the steaks for 7 days.....but they aren't true dry aged steaks, like everything at Shula's, or the ribeye at Le Cellier. The service is pleasant, but no where near as attentive as Shula's, which is a true steakhouse. Yachtsman's doesn't even demonstrate a commitment to the steaks they serve, as two of three steaks on our visit last month came to our table over done, and nobody even bothered to ask if they were prepared to our liking. There's no excuse for that in a true steakhouse. Maybe we just had one bad visit, and we will go back, but Yachtsman's needs to step it up if they want to compete with Le Cellier and Shula's for top steak honors.

For absolutely great steaks with true Disney atmosphere, go to Le Cellier. The bone in ribeye and mushroom filet are both excellent. Just about everything else they have is as well. I had the duck confit poutine.....and the layers of flavor for a French fry side were amazing.

For a true all around wonderful steakhouse experience, with great steak (they are all great) and impeccable, attentive service, go to Shula's. The Ahi Tuna app is the best I've ever had, the surf and turf (8 oz filet and 2 lb lobster) is a relative steal for WDW, and while they have no kids menu they will split a steak in the kitchen and serve it wonderfully. Really, everything was wonderful....other than the non-Disney vibe.

Have a great time, whichever you choose.

Is good steak an issue or are we just going for a cut. If you don't care that the service is bad and/or the food is just OK go for the Poterhouse at LeCellier. I have given LeCellier several shots. I don't get the hype. Food is just OK (hint risotto is not a crunchy dish) . I have had LOTS of much better steaks. Pricing is outrageous, you are packed in there and they are pushing you out the door to turn the tables. (My entree was delivered with my appertizer.. MOVE IT ON FOLKS!) The only "signature" part is the pricing! :rotfl2:

Personally I would head to Shula's in the Dolphin But failing that do Yachtsman.

We've also had particularly memorable service on multiple visits to the Yachtsman, on our recent anniversary trip we actually had the same server as our honeymoon, Yun. Yun is probably the best server we've ever had in WDW and really went the extra mile to make our day on each of our experiences with her.

Yun is a very good server. She used to be at Artist Point (where she was called Pok) and we got to know her there. When she moved to YSH it gave us a difficult decision because we already had a favorite waiter there, Oscar.

OKW Lover said:
Yun is a very good server. She used to be at Artist Point (where she was called Pok) and we got to know her there. When she moved to YSH it gave us a difficult decision because we already had a favorite waiter there, Oscar.

Yun was I our server as well...she was great. She went well above & beyond & kept us laughing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter