Annapolis/ St. Michael's Maryland

Muddy Rivers

DIS Veteran
We are going to Annapolis (staying in Annapolis) and St. Michael's (day trip) for a few days (midweek) in mid September. Are there any not to miss sights (besides Naval Academy) or places to dine? Brewpubs, crab houses, etc are great, it does not have to be jacket and tie.

DIS people have always made the best suggestions in the past and we have found many undiscovered places in our travels based on their tips. I always try to do the same for others as well!

Thanks so much to everyone!!

Hiya!

I'm an Annapolis local, but have shamefully never been to St Michael's (going this summer for a daytrip...) Downtown is full of pubs and restaurants, but they are pricey, so I will let others more informed than me tell you which are worth it.

The visitors' center downtown will have a TON of suggestions, of course, but if you have time, the boat tours out of the inner anchorage (near the harbormaster's offices, to the left of the port if you're standing at the Market house, follow it all the way out to the waterside, and you'll find them) are reasonably priced, give you a nice view and a bit of the Annapolis "spiel" and who doesn't like a little bit of fresh air? The biggest "main" tourist thing, I think, is the statehouse, which you'll need an ID card to enter, but it's where George Washington resigned his commission from the continental army, and was also one of the early capitols of the US, so that's something that history buffs seem to like.

People seem to have a LOVE/HATE relationship with Chick and Ruth's Deli, but it's one of the most authentic things on Mainstreet... tacky and crowded, but authentically so, and I love their pickles. People SWEAR by Storm Brothers' ice cream downtown, but I'm not a huge ice cream person, so I can't give a fair accounting.

There's usually signs against feeding the ducks, but we all do it anyway... if you save some leftover toast from your hotel breakfast, it's free! It's lovely just sitting by the water and messing with the birds... look out for the one with the messed up beak, though, he's got an attitude to match his looks!

If you think you'd enjoy a ghostwalk, I researched and wrote one down a couple Halloweens ago to take my kiddos on, I'd be happy to email it to you, if you'd like, just PM me where you want it sent.

Are you driving to St. Michaels or taking the boat cruise over? Are you only going there for one day? Are you going out of town or staying right there?
Ava's, Town Dock, Crab Claw and Chesapeake Landing are the locals favorites in St. Michaels.

We are thinking of staying in Annapolis and going to St. Michael's as a day trip. We weren't sure about driving vs a boat cruise. Which do you prefer?

We were considering staying at Hilton Garden Inn on the water in Kent Island. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

We are also open to other suggestions. Something on the water, reasonably priced I'm mid September (mid week) would be great!

Kunta Kinte Memorial at the harbor in Annapolis.
John Paul Jones' crypt at the Naval Academy.
Fisherman's Inn restaurant at Kent Narrows.

Kent Island is an island, not a town. From the map Hilton Garden Inn appears to be on the mainland side of Kent Narrows. The address is Grasonville, on the mainland side, just so you don't get too confused navigating the local area.

I have a Marriott affection so we tend to stay in Marriott hotels traveling. We have stayed at Residence Inn and the Courtyard.
It was very easy to get down to the big parking garage downtown to park and walk everywhere with no problems.

Touring the Naval Academy is a must do. Pick the lunch time tour so you can see the full formation of the entire Academy before their midday meal. It's very impressive!

My husband and I enjoyed Ruth and Chick's deli. We shared a sandwich and a milkshake. Our must do every time is Cantler's Inn. It's bit of a drive through feel like the wilderness but very worth it. Very casual dinning out on the waterfront watching the people crabbing and you bust them up yourself with the little mallet. The beer was cold the crabs were spicy and our lips swollen by the time we finished. Great meal!

What's the purpose of your trip? How long do you want to stay? What area do you want to stay in the most? Where are you coming from?

Maryland is broken into the eastern shore and the western shore which is separated by the Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake Bay links both shores by a 4 mile bridge that has two different spans the east and west bound sides. The East bound side costs $4 per car every time you go over it.

Kent Island and St Michaels are both on the eastern shore while Annapolis is on the western side.

Kent island boasts some nice restaurants and that's about it for tourists. Seriously, there is nothing else but some grocery stores (Dh works at the best one! ;) ), other stores and houses. Nothing touristy to do or see besides some boats at the drawbridge docking area. Kent Island is a strip on US route 50 that has a bunch of chain restaurants and stores if you go off the main highway it's only because you are local and know where you are going which has to be to someone's house.

St. Michael's is a small tourist destination town about 35ish minutes from Kent island. This town is much less commercialized. It's a place most people take a day trip to and just walk or bicycle around town all day. They have small boutique shops, bed and breakfasts, an inn, mom and pop shops, etc. There's a small ferry that you can take by car or foot a few miles down the road called Oxford Bellevue Ferry that you can take over to the next town, Oxford that is also a lovely small town like St. Michael's. Both are lovely day trip places.

Annapolis is going to be a whole other story. It is a small city. Movies, naval academy, mall, every chain restaurant, target, strip malls, night activities, people out all the time, public transportation, everything, everywhere. St Michaels will shut down by 8pm maybe 9. With nothing to do afterwards. Kent island while they have one 24 hour grocery store everything else will shut down by 9ish.

I haven't stay at Hilton Garden but they do do donate to our school fundraiser every year. They are a clean nice hotel but they are connected parking lot to parking lot to the two local bars that stay open late. I haven't stayed there so I don't know if this would impact the sounds or sleep there, etc. While it's not quite as high scale if you wanted to avoid that issue and stay in that same area I'd try Holiday Inn Express it's also on the water but across on the other side of Rt 50. I'd avoid the third hotel in that area Best Western.

All that being said depending on your intentions I would skip staying on this side of the bay/ bridge and probably stay on in Annapolis instead. They have alot more to do. You are going to be getting up and probably traveling to Anapolis everyday and while it's only 8ish miles away that 4 mile bridge is a pita. I'd look into the day trip cruises that take you from Annapolis to St Michaels for the day and tour the area that way.

Sorry for being so long winded. Hope that helped.

Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to post such great information! We are coming from New Jersey and although we have spent a ton of time in Baltimore, we have never been to the Annapolis or shore area. We will be coming for 3 days in mid September (Tuesday through Friday). We were torn between spending time in Annapolis vs St. Michael's. We figured for this trip we would try to get a little flavor of both. Since we don't live that far away, we could always come back some time in the future.

Travel magazines and websites have information but not as good as you all have provided. Once again, thanks so much to all of you. We really appreciate it!!!!

If you're in Annapolis for breakfast, I recommend Iron Rooster. It's right by the dock downtown (and they do serve all day and breakfast all day).

You might also consider one of the boat tours that leave from the dock there.

I grew up and still live in Severna Park, just north of Annapolis. My sister just came to visit and stayed at O'Callaghan's. It is a very short walk to main street and was very affordable although not a water view. There is the William Paca House tour which is nice and Middleton Tavern is nice for a lunch. I second the Iron Rooster - great food. Shopping go to State Circle and Maryland Avenue located one street over from Main Street for some really cute shops, pottery, pet, antique, etc. There is also a place that sells potatoes with toppings over that way that is really yummy. For crabs, we love to go to Harris Crab House on the eastern shore, near Fisherman's Inn mentioned. My son loves Fisherman's Inn because of the train going around the ceiling. We usually drive to St. Michaels - be aware if you go on a weekend you might still run into Bay Bridge traffic in the mornings. St. Michaels is a charming town to walk around.

We are near Annapolis and would recommend Grumps Cafe for a great lunch / dinner. It's off Forest Drive and isn't usually too crowded after breakfast. I would also second Cantler's - great seafood!
If anyone is into aviation, check out Bay Bridge Airport, they have a great flight school and some neat planes parked there. If you do make it over to Kent Island, also take a look at Kentmoor - great food and you can see all of the fishing boats docked up right there.
Hope that helps some too!

Cantler's. Yes.
Iron Rooster. Yes.
You will so enjoy Annapolis. Cutest little city in America. And what a view!

I can't wait to try all of these great places to eat and see the sights! You all are so nice for taking the time to post your suggestions.

DIS people are the best! Thank you!!

The Iron Rooster was really good. We went for dinner. The food was delicious, and the cocktails were really good too. Very reasonably priced. We went on a Navy game weekend, so we had reservations in order to avoid a long wait.

graveyards... seriously there is so much history and art work in the old grave yards on the east coast and Annapolis is one of my favorites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter