Animatronics. I hope Disney is progressing like this.

Wow!! Talk about realistic! Those were almost creepy to watch, he's so lifelike. I would love to see animatronics like that at WDW! Thanks for sharing!

The problem with this is something called the uncanny valley.

The uncanny valley is a hypothesis regarding the field of robotics.[1] The theory holds that when robots and other facsimiles of humans look and act almost like actual humans, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. The "valley" in question is a dip in a proposed graph of the positivity of human reaction as a function of a robot's lifelikeness.

Basically unless a robot can get very very very close to human behavior people will not see it as a really realistic robot but as a human with something wrong with it. Our base emotional defense mechanisms kick in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

I'm betting Disney could make an animatronic like that, but lets remember, those movements have to be done hundreds to thousands of times a day for Disney to be able to use them in attractions.

Somehow I doubt parts of that model would hold up to that kind of constant use.

Having said that, it is very cool and creepy at the same time

Wow!! Talk about realistic! Those were almost creepy to watch, he's so lifelike. I would love to see animatronics like that at WDW! Thanks for sharing!

Having said that, it is very cool and creepy at the same time

Both of you are in the uncanny valley.

While the front of your brain says wow how life like, the lizard part of your brain is saying its creepy I must stay away from this "thing" or kill it. :)

Now imagine a room full of people with that same creepy reaction. Who knows what would happen. Maybe mass hysteria maybe group illness. Its happened before.

There was a Pokemon film that when screened for a group of kids everyone started to have seizures, it was a combination of the strobe like effects of the cartoon and mass hysteria.

When they first showed a screening of Shrek to kids they all started to cry. Its seems they were to good with the animation of the princess and she fell into the uncanny valley.

Just too creepy for me! :scared1::confused::eek:

Better be careful with robotic progressive, cause never know when creepy robot will take over! Don't you all watch movies about Robots progressing and taking over! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::lmao::lmao:

That is so neat! I want one! As soon as I saw the videos it made me think of the DHI's in kingdom keepers! How neat would it be if WDW incorporated those types of robots into some sort of guide program?

Disney paved the way for a lot of AA devolpment in the past. I think the Imagineers could easily make more of these than any other company could. But is it really that much better than having the ones they have now? It's still not real.

Disney paved the way for a lot of AA devolpment in the past. I think the Imagineers could easily make more of these than any other company could. But is it really that much better than having the ones they have now? It's still not real.

I just told my wife she had to see this video without telling her it was an AA, and she never did notice. I told her to watch closely. She just said, oh, he's a good actor.

That looks fine. I see a couple of things that could be improved upon, but otherwise, it looks fine. I think that eventually Dinsey should try to put something either as, or more realistic (whenever that time comes where it is possible) in a few of their attractions. Seeing one of those in Indy would be cool.

To note: The blinking is a long way from perfect. Normally when you blink, only your eyelids move, but here, the whole forehead moves. That could be improved upon.

I just told my wife she had to see this video without telling her it was an AA, and she never did notice. I told her to watch closely. She just said, oh, he's a good actor.

So I'm guessing you think yes?:rotfl2:

Point is more money spent on realism means less updates a refabs less money to go around in a big way all for something so small. I mean maybe some of the AAs but certainly not all and only new attractions. But like I said the Walt Disney Imagineers are some of the main people in the development of AA so they will certainly pick up on realism as we go along.

I wonder if these things use more power than current animatronics?
Anyway, kind of creepy, as others have said. I'll stick with the new talking Mickey character.

I wonder if these things use more power than current animatronics?
Anyway, kind of creepy, as others have said. I'll stick with the new talking Mickey character.

I know everyone thinks that Disney should be progressing technologically, however most people will tell you that the animatronics Walt Disney came up with on the carasel of progress decades ago are one of their favorite things in the park.

I know everyone thinks that Disney should be progressing technologically, however most people will tell you that the animatronics Walt Disney came up with on the carasel of progress decades ago are one of their favorite things in the park.

Lets not forget Jungle Cruise where Walt all but invented AAs.

I am a amazed by this, but at the same time Im freaked out by the fact its only a torso with no Arms.

Am I the only one freaked out by the first photo on the page that shows it without its face on, it lookes like a twisted version of the terminator! :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter