Animation class

GoOfyInDisNEy

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know how you sign up for the drawing class at Hollywood Studios?? Does it cost $$$ and where in the park is it? We would love to try this out on this trip. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Its in the animation studio behind the animation shop. It does not cost anything and you just show up. They have them every half hour.

Yup, just show up, and stand in line. The class is free, and was a great experience.

We did this for our first time this year, and I really enjoyed it. DS8 wound up with a pretty sloppy drawing which he crumpled up and threw away, even though I tried to stop him. DD17, her BFF, and DW all had decent renderings of Piglet. I was very happy with my drawing, but I've drawn Piglet before on my own, so I had a bit of an advantage I guess.

It is a really nice experience, and gives you a nice free souvenir to take home!

As others have said, no $$ and it's a lot of fun! I just missed the cutoff for the 3 pm class so stayed around for the 3:30. Those of us waiting for the next class were in a little gated area outside the classroom with a CM counting off the people waiting. I just stayed put, so I'm not sure of this, but I think he was letting people "check out" of the waiting area so they could go look at other things in the animation bldg then come back before 3:30 and still be in the group.

As I said, I'm not sure this was what was going on, but hopefully someone else can clarify. :confused3

As others have said, no $$ and it's a lot of fun! I just missed the cutoff for the 3 pm class so stayed around for the 3:30. Those of us waiting for the next class were in a little gated area outside the classroom with a CM counting off the people waiting. I just stayed put, so I'm not sure of this, but I think he was letting people "check out" of the waiting area so they could go look at other things in the animation bldg then come back before 3:30 and still be in the group.

As I said, I'm not sure this was what was going on, but hopefully someone else can clarify. :confused3

When we were there in July the CM WOULD NOT allow us to leave the wait area. You left you lost your place in line.

That's one of those "hidden gems" that can be the highlight of your day. Just be sure not to wait too late. It closes earlier than the rest of the park and we were lucky to be the last people in line to be admitted to the last class of the day. Lots of fun & relaxing too!

Don't miss this! If you like it enough, you can go back multiple times and they will do different characters, too.

At crowded times, it's worth it to go early and wait (the longest wait is 30 min) because sometimes it does fill up.

I've never done this but I know my BIL and niece enjoyed it so much on our last trip that they did 2 sessions in a row. Can't wait to finally try it this trip.

RandFamily said:
Don't miss this! If you like it enough, you can go back multiple times and they will do different characters, too.

At crowded times, it's worth it to go early and wait (the longest wait is 30 min) because sometimes it does fill up.

The wait in Aug was over 30 min. They had people waiting in the "gated" area for the next class and then people waiting in another section behind them for the class after that. This was the last week of August so it wasn't really a crowded park day. We decided to try again later because the wait was so long but never made it back. We were so disappointed because this was the first trip where we didn't do it. It is one of our favorite things to do. It seems like each trip it is more and more crowded though. I guess it isn't a secret anymore!

Thanks for the heads up. This is usually a pretty sleep area. Word must be getting out. We will be in DW early Dec and spend 2 days at DHS, mainly because my oldest DD loves this. We try to do it 3-4 times.

Is there an age minimum to do the class? My DS6 would love this and is really good at following drawing directions.

Thanks!

It is good for any age. Also you want to get there earlier in the day, it seems as the day goes on more and more people circle around and keep doing it over and over so the line gets longer.

My DD7 and I attended the class in June this year. It was a lot of fun, but DD was disappointed that her drawing didn't turn out as well as mine. Mine wasn't great, but I felt like it was fairly decent and I have zero artistic ability!

What I'd like to add (unless someone else mentioned and I missed it), is that at the end of the class the animator asked a trivia question. Since we drew Eeyore, it was about him. Whoever was the first to get it right received the animator's drawing as a prize. Lucky for us no one else in class knew the answer! So in addition to our own souvenir drawings, we got a nice signed drawing, too! :)

This attraction is in the meet & greet area of the Magic of Disney Animation building. You can get there by going through the animation show, but if you don't want to do that, you can also walk in through the Animation Gallery store.

Note that if you get to the waiting area late and are near the end of the line, you may have a lap board (large clipboard that you hold in your lap) instead of a seat at an animation table. We've done both many times, and the table is certainly more enjoyable.

Another tip, they've always been very helpful to give us a bag for our drawings when we ask at the Animation Gallery register. We carry a supply of rubber bands in our park carry-all specifically for rolling up Animation Class drawings.

Is there an age minimum to do the class? My DS6 would love this and is really good at following drawing directions.

Thanks!

No minimum, but the child should know to be quiet. When DS was little (and I'm going on experience at the Academy at DCA here...he was older when we got to DHS's class) he just drew whatever he wanted, if he got lost. Though at DCA they have a CM wandering to help people, and he wanted help so he stuck up his hand to get the roving CM's attention. I can't remember if DHS has helper CMs or not.

What I'd like to add (unless someone else mentioned and I missed it), is that at the end of the class the animator asked a trivia question. Since we drew Eeyore, it was about him. Whoever was the first to get it right received the animator's drawing as a prize. Lucky for us no one else in class knew the answer! So in addition to our own souvenir drawings, we got a nice signed drawing, too! :)

That didn't happen for us at DHS, so it's likely to be CM-specific.

Note that if you get to the waiting area late and are near the end of the line, you may have a lap board (large clipboard that you hold in your lap) instead of a seat at an animation table. We've done both many times, and the table is certainly more enjoyable.

What's funny about that to me is that I FAR prefer it at DCA, and at DCA they don't have tables, they only have the lap boards. But I'm short, and have a hard time really reaching the table from the stool (for those that don't know, the stools can only be moved to a certain extent). So I really like holding the lap board at DCA, and don't enjoy the tables at DHS. Guess it just depends on your own personality!

The store at DHS's version has rubberbands, too, just like the store near DCA's version. :)

Some people bring a couple paper towel tubes to protect their drawings, especially for getting them home.

DISNEYFAN88 said:

Thanks!

Last year when DS had just turned 5, he got lost very quickly. Our animator moved really fast! After about 10 minutes he got a bit antsy that we were all concentrating and not paying attention to him. He made it through without being a distraction to anyone (except me!). So my advice is to prepare your son that it may move faster than he would like and to just do his best at drawing and keeping up! The rest of us loved it and can't wait to do it again!

Forget preparing your small children for getting lost someone should have prepared the adults at the class we took in September. We were the last class of the day and they made it quite challenging. We had Buzz Lightyear and needless to say none of us will ever be able to live off our artistic talents. Best way to prepare Is to make sure everyone knows it is for fun and not a competition.

They will sometimes take requests for the character that the class will be drawing. We highly recommend this class. It is an incredible excperience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter