• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animals In Stores Vent

Umm I was answering your question

:lmao: Told ya I was tired!!!

I guess I just don't see it like you. I see people not wanting pets in shops, eateries, grocery stores, amusement parks or shopping districts. I think most people assume pets will be out in public (dogs parks, on a walk with the owner, etc.)

Let's see:
Agnes just wants to know where not to go.
Linzybrooke is okay with pets being in stores where they belong.
Mouse House Mama doesn't think a pet wants to ride the Gravitron.
Stacerita doesn't think pets should be out at shopping areas.

Hmmm...
I don't see where anyone wants these pets to stay indoors and never see the light of day again.

If you had read what I wrote, I agree that there are stores that a dog should not be taken to, but some were saying that the dog should always be in your car or at home, that I don't agree with.
I agree with you. Dogs are fine in most outdoor areas, pet-friendly stores, the big hardware stores and outdoor patios of restaurants. I see nothing wrong with such places as long as the owner controls them. They don't belong in grocery stores and malls and the like IMO.

They don't belong in stores or anywhere else where people who are scared or allergicwill be exposed.

Hmmm...
I don't see where anyone wants these pets to stay indoors and never see the light of day again.

From earlier in the thread, notice the words "or anywhere else"?

here are just a few

I don't think any of those posts said dogs should ONLY be at home or in cars. It seems like people just don't want dogs roaming around shopping centers and the like.

Dogs are great outside. At the park. On walks. Etc.

Shopping at Staples, Target, the mall, etc.....not so much.

Oh...and leaving dogs in cars is not good. If you need to be out running errands....leave them in the safety of your home and not in a car.

I think Chipmunk was referring to post 138 where you quoted a bunch of people and said that they were the ones who made the "dogs shouldn't be anywhere" comment. They didn't really make those comments. They simply don't think dogs should be in stores or on amusement park rides. That's all. Chipmunk just pointed that out.

Anyway, well done, you finally made your point. :hyper: One person on a ten page thread said that dogs shouldn't go anywhere. Now what?

I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all the posters who don't bring/sneak their pets into places they are not allowed. I know a person who has life-threatening animal dander allergies (Their throat will swell shut, like a severe peanut & bee sting allergy.) They have to carry epi-pens everywhere they go. Some people can't tolerate allergy medicine, shots or other treatments. Thanks again. :)

I just wanted to say "Thank You" to all the posters who don't bring/sneak their pets into places they are not allowed. I know a person who has life-threatening animal dander allergies (Their throat will swell shut, like a severe peanut & bee sting allergy.) They have to carry epi-pens everywhere they go. Some people can't tolerate allergy medicine, shots or other treatments. Thanks again. :)

No need to thank people for having common sense. :thumbsup2

I don't think there is a need for snark. :confused3 This thread has remained civil. And so far, people have been expressing and their different views and opinions without getting snarky.

If if wasn't meant to be snarky, then I apologize now. :)

I think Chipmunk was referring to post 138 where you quoted a bunch of people and said that they were the ones who made the "dogs shouldn't be anywhere" comment. They didn't really make those comments. They simply don't think dogs should be in stores or on amusement park rides. That's all. Chipmunk just pointed that out.

Anyway, well done, you finally made your point. :hyper: One person on a ten page thread said that dogs shouldn't go anywhere. Now what?

:thumbsup2

I haven't read all the replies yet. I have traveled and been to cafes and restaurants where dogs are allowed and never batted an eye.

But in the U.S., it makes me batty sometimes to see people carrying their dogs around like little toys. And it makes me batty to see people who bring their dogs everywhere and expect everyone else to indulge them. We had friends who would come over and bring their large Australia shepard. Then they thought it was hysterical when he jumped over the furniture (yeah, the hole in the leather couch from his nail was a riot). I have a girlfriend I love dearly, but don't understand her obsession with hauling her dog around in the car wherever she goes. She comes here, and brings the dog and leaves him in the car for an hour. Then why not leave him home?

Our soccer league has banned dogs from games after 2 kids were bitten one season. Unfortunately, people still insist on bringing the dogs. If we see a dog at a game, the ref is supposed to stop the game, and it is not to resume until the dog is removed. In fact, it's encouraged to stare at the dog and dog-owner at the same time.

And the one thing I cannot stand are people who insist on bringing their little dogs on the plane, in the cabin.

I don't think there is a need for snark. :confused3 This thread has remained civil. And so far, people have been expressing and their different views and opinions without getting snarky.

If if wasn't meant to be snarky, then I apologize now. :)

:thumbsup2

It was not intended to be snarky, it was late and I was tired, if it came across as "snarky" then I am sorry, I was just trying to answer your questions (hey I even used the right your :) )

Come on now! Maybe you can stuff him in a beach bag?;) :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2:
I keep thinking of this huge dog being lugged around in a bright colored beach bag!:lmao:

Maybe the latest fitness trend? Carrying your 80lb dog around.

ccnov193-2.jpg

this is skinny muffin. I'd take a pic of fat muffin but my son decided to put my camera in a bowl of water.. so it does not work. Anyway.. muffin weighs about 10 pound more now than in that pic.. no way am I stuffing her in a purse..

Aside from my Petey, that is the CUTEST dog I've ever seen :lovestruc

::yes::
Service animals are never required to have a special vest, collar or anything.
A lot do, partly to let people know that the animal is a working dog and partly to let the dog know it is working - when the dog is wearing it, the dog knows what to expect.

Well, I stand corrected then. My oldest nephew had a brain tumor removed several years ago and it resulted in some permanent brain damage affecting his ability to walk. He got a lab to help him with his balance. His mother told me at the time the dog had to wear his harness or vest when they were out in public. I took that to mean he was required to wear it. I do have to say though, that having your dog clearly identifiable as a service companion would certainly prevent anyone from getting upset about a dog in the grocery store.

My nephew was with us at the store one afternoon (wearing just his harness, most adults are familiar with those but not all). The grocery store manager came to us saying we couldn't have him in the store and when we tried to explain he was a service dog the guy was actually ignorant enough to exlaim quite loudly "What's wrong with him? That boy's not blind!" :sad2: My sister in law let him have it with both barrels and then we left. The corporate office must have really torn into him because he sent her a handwritten apology with a $100 gift card and followed up with a phone call. :eek:

I do occasionally take my dog to a dog friendly mall in Richmond. They have a specific policy of welcoming all well behaved dogs on leashes in all stores except those that serve food. I enjoy walking around with him but honestly, it's usually more of a pain than it's worth. It's hard to go into Dillards and browse the lingerie when you're trying to keep an eye on the dog too and I don't think he finds the Coach store nearly as fascinating as I do :laughing:

Seriously? :confused: Now she looks like she is exercising on the beach, walking. Why in the world wouldn't that dog enjoy the walk?

it would ruin her expensive manicure of oucrse. :rolleyes:

I dont like the trend either. Dogs are not kids. We may joke about them being our babies but thats all it is, a joke.

I see them at Lowes all the time and my kids have asked why we dont take our dogs there. I just say because it isnt safe or sanitary. I usually say it fairly loudly too. ;)

Here in So CA, the dogs-as-accessories fad was getting so bad, many stores began banning them. Starbucks, Jamba Juice, etc. They tried being pet friendly by putting bowls of water OUTSIDE the stores, yet people took that as an invitation to bring poochie inside.

We have a brand new pet-friendly mall here. Each store has a bowl of water (not sure I'd want my pet drinking from the community bowl) and a post to tie your pet's leash outside if you wish to shop. Poop bag dispensers every 20 feet, and a dog park at one end. Mind you, this is an outdoor mall with streets and parking spaces right in front of the stores. Interesting.

I take my westie along with me when we run car errands, but not once has he ever asked to run to the mall to see what's new at the Coach Outlet... :rotfl:

I've never seen a dog--except for service dogs--in the stores around here. Then I read this thread last nigth. Today, I was in the dollar store, and what do I see? A teenager carrying her dog in her purse! :rotfl:

I swear, this place is spooky! FTR, I agree--I don't want to see an animal in a Target, a supermarket, or Staples. I don't go to PetSmart or Petco, but they belong there. And of course, the park, their backyard, maybe the beach.

Just a question to the pet owners that take their dogs into the stores with them. If your dog is on a leash and they mess, do you pick it up and wash the floor, or do you just pick it up? Just a question. I would hope that you wash the floor as well because I sometimes see kids playing on the floor and well, that would just be nasty! What about if they pee? Does a store employee have to clean that up? Or as a responsible pet owner do you do that for them?
Just wondering. I am sure that you make sure that your pet goes to the bathroom berore you take them into the store, but they can still have accidents...............

It's simple: obey the rules. If it's pet-friendly then all pets should be included and people aware of it. If not pet-friendly then all non-service animals should stay out and people should be able to feel secure that no animal, dog or otherwise, will be there. The other day I saw someone sitting in a childen's hospital waiting area with their dog (not service, not therapy). That is definitely irresponsible. Karen

Just a question to the pet owners that take their dogs into the stores with them. If your dog is on a leash and they mess, do you pick it up and wash the floor, or do you just pick it up? Just a question. I would hope that you wash the floor as well because I sometimes see kids playing on the floor and well, that would just be nasty! What about if they pee? Does a store employee have to clean that up? Or as a responsible pet owner do you do that for them?
Just wondering. I am sure that you make sure that your pet goes to the bathroom berore you take them into the store, but they can still have accidents...............

Having only taken my dog into petco and petsmart, when she was little she would get excited by all the people, I would clean it up, they provide towels and spray bottles etc.

I also always have either a bag dispenser and/or a pooper scooper with me when anywhere in public as well

The other day I saw someone sitting in a childen's hospital waiting area with their dog (not service, not therapy). That is definitely irresponsible. Karen

Without the whole story, at first blush I would agree, but there might also be a back story that would make it reasonable.

For instance, if I was at the park, and my kid got hurt and had to go to the hospital, I am not taking the time to drive my dog back to the house before going to the hospital, and if it is too hot for the dog to be in the car, then what are you going to do? And before anyone says but its just wrong, if it was a service dog, no one would have an issue, and even as a service dog, it is still a dog that would be allowed in the exact same space.

So, what I am trying to say is I agree, but there also could have been a valid reason why the dog was there as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter