Animal neglect, advice?

TwitterMouse

Mouseketeer
I work at a pet store, and in the back room someone put a lizard that didn't get along well with his tankmates. He was in a back room tank with one other lizard.
The person has been tossing crickets in, and not watching, so the bigger of the two has been eating all the crickets. This same person hasn't kept the tank moist, and didn't notice that this lizard has become severly malnourished and dehyrdrated (he was too weak to get up and get to the water).
It was my first day in that department and I found him. I put water on him, convinced him to take a few drops from a syringe and gave him some formula. While I was holding him, he stopped breathing. I grabbed and moved his foot around and startled him back into breathing, I also had to move his chest in and out for him because he was struggling to breath at times.
This was neglect, plain and simple. No one paid him any attention, no one made sure he ate. He's supposed to be dark brown, he was so dehydrated that he was white. How could you not spot that?
I said I'd take him home, I'd spend the night awake with him and keep him hydrated and bring him to the vet in the morning. They said no, they can't give away such an expensive lizard. Then I got the "you can't save every animal you meet". He's in a petstore! He should be cared for, he shouldn't need saving. I can understand if he just got sick (like the fish with the swim bladder infection), it wouldn't be anyone's fault, and the "you can't save them all" thing would apply. But this little one was neglected, and now he will probably die.
What am I supposed to do? According to the managers "it's just one lizard" (gotta love the hypocrisy of "you can't have our expensive lizard" and then "eh, if it dies it's just a lizard"), but it stands to reason that if one animal is being neglected, others have been or will be as well.
Should I call someone, should I report them to coporate? I don't know... please, any adivce?

Oh my, that's horrible! And what a crappy attitude for them to take!

I think you should definitely contact corporate, and maybe clue in your local humane society at the same time. SPCA?

Let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the cruel world of the pet shop.

Sorry you have to experience this. But to a good majority of pet shops, they are not animals but product. They work on volume not care. If one dies, then the truck brings a few more the next day.

You see it with the puppies from puppy mills. You see it with the other animals too.

Reporting it to corporate won't do any good, they probably won't care. But if this is the typical standard of care, then you need to report it to the proper authorities. And you can always call in PETA if you want to make a stink.

it stands to reason that if one animal is being neglected, others have been or will be as well.

That right there is the reason that you should report them to either corporate or to your local SPCA/Shelter. From the sounds of it you care about animals a lot. Have you thought about working for your local shelter?

I don't work at my local shelter, but I do work at one a half hour away. I volunteer to do basic obedience training to make the dogs more adoptable. I was so stressed last night over the little lizard that I didn't think of just going in and talking to the SPCA officer I work with. I see her on Saturday, and she'll know what to do.
In the meantime, I'll call corporate and report my store. Should I do that anonymously?

One assumes all pet store employees work there because they love animals. Not always the case. Thanks for caring. Good luck and I hope the poor lizard makes it. :grouphug:

Can't you offer to purchase him? It doesn't sound like he will make it until Saturday when you can talk with the SPCA Officer? Thank god that little lizard has you who cares what happens to him. Good Luck I hope he is okay.

Buy him, quit your job and then report the place to every agency and animal foundation you can think of. Make their life miserable.

So they can't give away an expensive lizard but they can neglect it and leave it to die? That makes absolutely no sense. I don't think I could work there anymore after witnessing that. What do they do with animals that die?

Report them to the ASPCA and PETA. Do you happen to work at Petno - Where the pets go to die?

Perhaps they would consider letting you take it home to nurse it back to health (and then they could sell it)? Me personally, I'd have plunked down my credit card, asked to charged for the little guy. I would also quit...but AFTER I called the ASPCA, PETA, and every other welfare group I could muster (The local news stations LOVE this stuff).

A few years ago, I was a camer person for a lcoal news station. The reporter and I had been assigned to cover a story about a pet shop that had been busted into by members of the ALF (Animal Liberation Front...a very militaristic and violent welfare "advocacy" group). The ALF had targeted this store because the owners had a monkey (it was their pet). The monkey lived in a larged glass cage, and had done so it's whole life. The goup "liberated" the monkey to a nature reserve in Africa (where I am sure it died.) ANYWAY...

While walking around the store taking video of the crime scene, I noticed a large"tub" of guinnea pigs. there were about 15 of them in this tub, all scurrying about. One wasn't moving. I thought it was asleep. Nope...DEAD as a doornail. In fact, the others were gnawing on it. I called over the owner and asked if he knew about the dead guinnea and he just kind of shrugged his shoulders, grabbed a paper bag, tossed it in and went out to the dumpster with it.

I guess the ALF didn't think the guinnea pigs were "worth" liberating.

Then I went to go tell my reporter what I had seen (and videotaped BTW). He was in the reptile room of the store. I went in and there were snakes and lizards and stuff...and (I swear to God) a 4 foot long alligator (or croc) in a teeny tiny little 3 foot fish tank. The thing was so jammed in there that he couldn't move, was in it's own feces, and was just the saddest thing I'd ever seen. I shot video of that too. needless to say we came home with two stories that day, but I wondered how the ALF decided which animals to "save" (not that I agree at all with their illegal, guerilla tactics). Imagine a couple of masked radicals fumbling through the store.."Hey Jim...you think we should free the gator too??" (Jim looks at all those sharp teeth) "U,mmm..NAH he looks pretty happy in there."

Our video caused the SPCA to shut the place down.

According to policy, they cannot sell a sick animal. Trust me, first thing I did was whip out was credit card and say "I'll take him". After they said no I asked to just take him, bypassing the we-don't-sell-sick-things policy. Again, they said no.
I was informed by my coworker that they didn't bring him to a vet (and we have a vet IN THE STORE). She took him out of his tank on her lunch and brought him there herself. She was worried about the bill (which I told her I'd split with her), but the vet office charged it to the store's account instead. They haven't written up my coworker, because they know she was right.
I've contacted PETA, already gotten a response and they are using me to investigate the store, document what goes on and take pictures and such. Kinda scary really... but the animals deserve help.
I called the SPCA officer, and she said she will contact the officer in my town to go check the store.
For now, because I'm doing this thing for PETA, I'm keeping my job. Thanks to all for their responses.

Just be careful, IMO you are standing up for what you believe and that is a good thing. I tell ya I just don't understand people who don't have a conscience when it comes to caring for anything living and breathing. Thanks for stepping up to the plate for this little guy :) Keep us posted.

You are a smart, and dedicated cookie. I would keep the job too while helping gather info to bring 'em down!

So what did the vet do for the lizard? Also...is it a Petsmart? I know they have a vet right in the store too. Cause if it was, I won't buy anything else from them...

Report them to the ASPCA and PETA. Do you happen to work at Petno - Where the pets go to die?

I love that Petno! We only have a Petno where I live, but I am willing to drive 45 minutes to go to a feed and pet supply store or petsmart.

On the rare occasion that we have to go to petno...those late night need a bully stick for 10 minutes of peace situations (I have a 5 month old puppy). The local shelter brings animals there to try and get them adopted. The last time we went my DW saw that the kittens water was full of litter and was disgusted. She asked them to change the water and they told her that wasn't their responsibilty...pissed doesn't even begin to describe her. We would have adopted both of them, but we already have two cats.

TwitterMouse I am glad that you have contacted the correct people. Hopefully that little lizard will make it and find a good home.

Oh, poor lizard. It isn't 'just one lizard' if one lizard dies, then they feel that way about dogs, cats, fish, and other animals, and before you know it, they neglect half the pet store. Ask them again, or at least tell them that if it dies, they can't sell it, and that they will sell it if it lives with you for a night. I mean, if it was so close to them they wouldn't say it was just one lizard! Wow, I feel so bad for the poor lizard. I hope he survives.

The lizard is doing much better. He's not eating yet, but he's more active, his color is coming back and he's drinking. :)
I started taking pictures for PETA, but my camera isn't very good, so I'll have to try again tomorrow, but I did get a few that I think came out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter