• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animal Kingdom

PaintedStuff

<font color=0000FF>Is welcomed by the Tag Fairy wi
<font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#208140" size="3">We took the Safari tour at Animal Kingdom this past weekend.  Noticed the lions sleeping on top of the rocks.  (Told they sleep about 20 hours a day!) Yet, the tigers are in cages.  Wondering if those lions are real?  Has anyone ever seen them wandering around?  Seems like they're too dangerous to be on their own.</font>
:tilt:

The male was rolling over (but still sleeping!) during our ride in December. The female was walking around sort of pacing back and forth on her rock so yes, they are real. :)

The travel channel did a neat profile on the AK park last year. It still runs every now and then. They showed how Disney separated the Lions from all the other animals. They took into consideration the elevation you are at in the trucks and the placement of the lions. There is a stream/river and some other partition keeping them from getting out of their area so the other animals (and guests!) stay safe. It's amazing the details that went into planning that attraction!

Yes the lions are real!

A little secret about the lions on Pride Rock on the Safari...there is a cooling system under the rock area where they lay.It's out in front so the lions like to hang out on it to stay cool in the Florida heat.That way they're always "on stage" so guests can get a good view them.

I rode the safari a total of 3 times this past weekend--once on Friday and twice on Monday. On my very last safari, the male lion was STANDING UP, PACING BACK AND FORTH and ROARED. Oh my goodness. This was the first time I've seen him do anything other than lie down!!! And of course, my digital camera decided to have a memory card error at the very start of the safari, so I have no photographs of this probably once in a lifetime photo op. Aaarrrgh! :mad: Yes, they do say the lions are generally sleeping or resting for most of the day, so I'm disappointed in my lack of pictures, but at least I did see it.

And we saved Big Red and Little Red one more time. Those poachers are very stubborn. :cool:

Yes, they are absolutely real!! :) And yes, they do spend most of their day just resting. In the wild, lions are night hunters. Male lions will roar a territorial call early mornings and late afternoons. I often see the lions up and on their feet in the late afternoons, gazing with great interest at the herd of white antelope (scimitar horned oryx) that might stroll on by along the grassy hill opposite the rocks. On Monday I witnessed the lions chasing each other around the rocks like kittens!!

I hear questions all the time asking whether certain animals are real or not. I'm even occassionally asked whether or not we are really driving those trucks :eek: :p :)

Originally posted by Armadillo4
On my very last safari, the male lion was STANDING UP, PACING BACK AND FORTH and ROARED. Oh my goodness. This was the first time I've seen him do anything other than lie down!!!

congrats! very few people have seen him standing!!

We took the Sunrise Safari back in September through the AKL concierge - we not only saw the male lion standing up - but he was gearing up for his morning 'roar'. It was amazing!

It still amazes me though how many people think that some animals in that park are 'fake'. The only fake ANIMAL in that park is "little red" at the end of the safari ride.

If you can - I HIGHLY suggest taking one of the backstage tours or the sunrise safari through AKL...you really learn alot about the park!

I have seen the lioness climbing up to the highest rock formation. Also, the last couple safaris I took, she was "playing" with something back towards that rock formation. It looked like a plastic container. It reminded me of when my cats play with the sealed tub of catnip.

The tigers are in an enclosure, but the Maharajah Jungle Trek is designed such that the guests are more confined than the wildlife.

Slightly off topic, we once saw a cheetah jump up from its usual lounging spot, sprint to a tree, jump into the tree and then jump down with a bird in its jaws. It was spectacular! As you could imagine, it was far too quick for anyone to get a photo of it. The safari driver had to look twice before they realized what happened.

Ted

We too were fortunate enough to witness the male lion up and roaring the first time we ever went to AK. Every time since then, they're all sleeping, but still something to see.

The tigers are in their "natural habitat" and have plenty of room. Like the previous poster said, its more like the spectators are confined when viewing them.

Back to the safari - we've also seen the animals . . uh . . how would you say - naturally having a good time :eek:
My 14 year old niece was just snapping pictures like crazy of all the animals, and sure enough, upon viewing them later, she caught them "in the act." Too funny - needless to say she was embarrased. :teeth: Oh well - just can't stop the forces of nature.l

Oh stupid me:(
I thought they have put the tigers in cages and out of their Indian temple...
The Maharadjathing doesn't look like a cage in my point of view!

Originally posted by Ted and Holly
The tigers are in an enclosure, but the Maharajah Jungle Trek is designed such that the guests are more confined than the wildlife.
<p><font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="3">I mistakenly said the tigers are caged - you are right - they were "segregated" and we viewed them from behind our "cages"  We were there just before their feeding time and they were all up and pacing near the handlers' entrance.  It was amazing!<br>
Thanks for all your information! </font></p>:wave2:

Originally posted by Fromeurope
Oh stupid me:(
I thought they have put the tigers in cages and out of their Indian temple...
The Maharadjathing doesn't look like a cage in my point of view!

Look at it more closely, it IS a cage... For us! :)

Ted

Last time we were there the lions were awake and one of the males was roaring, which the tour guide said was unusual...until we realized he was coughing up a hairball!!! It was sooo funny...

Can't wait to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter