Animal Kingdom review :)

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Well today was our first Animal Kingdom day. First off, let me say, wow - those who say AK is a half day park only... are either skipping a lot or just blowing through it, focusing on the rides only. There is absolutely NO way to see everything there is in this park in half a day. Quite literally impossible. I'm sure some are just disappointed there's not more rides,or perhaps aren't into animals, so don't really take the time, but IMO, Animal Kingdom's beauty is that it's not a ride-centric park. It's a nice break from the hustle and bustle of rushing from ride to ride. This is an absolutely beautiful park, and I have to say a photographer's paradise.

So we arrived for RD, walked in and very first thing we found Divine!!! She is amazing. Wow. The kids were absolutely enchanted. Oh, and my touring plans were shot today as well. I spent countless hours planning those touring plans - and in all honesty, what a waste of time, lol. Seriously. Now that I'm here, I wouldn't tell anyone to worry about touring plans too much, because your kids are going to dictate what you do. I mean, if your only concern is getting every single ride done, then yes, it's probably important. But, if your main goal is to enjoy yourself, take time, enjoy unexpected moments and to follow your children's leads - then please do not waste your time! lol. And this coming from a woman who drove this board nuts with incessant questions about touring plans questions.

So, from Divine, the kids immediately spied the Wilderness Explorers, and we signed them both up. What a GREAT program. This is a time-eater, I will say that. But - amazing. The children both loved earning badges, and my animal-loving son especially loved talking to the experts, learning more. If you have an animal fan, I really recommend this.

Our first ride was Kali, our DD did this, DS stayed off. We hit it at about 9:20 or so in the morning, standby was only 10 minutes, we walked on with DAS. DD (5, ASD) was a bit timid - but oh man oh man, she LOVED it. And boy did we get soaked. I mean 100% drenched, lol. She got off the ride raring to do it again immediately, lol. But we had a FP+ for the safari, so we carried on. We moved into the Maharajah Jungle Trek - and here's my advice - do Kali, then Maharajah. There are many powerful fans in the trail and the breeze on the damp clothes, IMO, felt heavenly. Just don't wear shoes that absorb water. The children loved this trail and we spent quite awhile here.

We went on the Safari which was excellent. We saw many, many animals, and while they weren't very active, they were out. We had a giraffe cross the road immediately behind our truck, and we had another animal (I forget it's name) walk beside us, so close we could have touched it.

After the safari we went through the Pangani Forest trail, though a bit quickly since DD was starting to get hungry. But we did spend awhile watching the gorillas - and we even got to see the little baby one! Again, the children loved this trail. Both trails have are free-flight for birds, which I didn't realize, and which our bird-loving son was so excited about.

From there we went back to the market, catching the end of the Tam Tam Drummers - who are great. We had to laugh at them trying to teach the men to do the African dancing :) We bought some cookies at the sweets shop, which were delicious. Though eat them fast - on a hot day the icing doesn't last long.

We were all pleasantly surprised by the heat in this park. Everyone said it's the hottest park - we didn't find it so at all. Instead, I found that there were numerous fans, misting sprays, fountains to cool off in, and lots of shade. More than the other two parks we've been to so far.

By this point, DD was rather insistent that we ride Kali again. She was so excited about going on it again, she was stimming (we've been lucky, the only time our daughter stims is when she's really excited), flapping and clapping, and dancing and skipping, and just quite frankly adorable in her excitement, lol. Once again, we got DRENCHED! And she loved it.

From there we went to Dinosaurland to ride Triceratops spin. I admit, I wish we hadn't. Now, I'll say this - the kids loved the Triceratops spin ride, and the games (we didn't get to the Boneyard). But... it's just so out of place. It felt like nothing more than the local county fair, which I know is the idea, but, heck, I can get the county fair at home. I mean, the theming is well done, like all things Disney, but... IMO, the theming just doesn't work for Animal Kingdom. But, all that said, I can see the appeal for kids, so... it is what it is. But, I wish that they would let AK stay as a more natural, relaxing place, instead of trying for ride-central "theme park" feel.

We left around 1:30, and plan to return Friday (with another FP+ for DD for Kali!). While all the theming at the Disney parks is great, AK really blew me away. It was just so unique, so beautiful.

As far as crowds so far - going by the Touring Plans crowd calendar, Epcot was a 9, but as I mentioned, it in no way felt crowded at all. Wait times were high, but crowds were low. Yesterday, Magic Kingdom was an 8, and definitely felt more crowded than Epcot, but that said, it was still very manageable, and didn't feel even as crowded as going to our local fair each summer as far as navigating around. Construction was hardly noticeable at all. Animal Kingdom today was a 7, but by far felt the most crowded so far. I'm sure it's because it's smaller, but also because of the construction - which is definitely noticeable, and seemed to be everywhere, even out on the safari ride. I wouldn't skip the park because of it though.So the lesson here is -I also wouldn't stress yourself out about the crowd calendars. Oh, I think they're good for a general guideline, and probably important on holiday weekends etc... but, so far, we have found the crowd levels have really meant nothing - the park with the highest level felt the least crowded and the one with the lowest felt the most crowded.

And so next stop is Hollywood Studios tomorrow!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great report! AK is by far my family's favorite park :). But then, we aren't big on the rides, love the shows, and it is such a beautiful park. DS (also ASD) loves to walk around the trails and such and look at all the animals

Great review ! I always take my camera to this park and get some great shots. It is a great place for photography.
I agree with the Dinosaurland. I really do not like that part of the park. I dont fret over crowd levels anymore. I used to but since our last trip when we went memorial day week we had a similar experience as you did. The parks that said were going to be crowded didnt seem all that crowded and MK was suppose to be a 6 and seemed like an 8.

I'm really enjoying your reviews! I'm so glad that was your experience with AK - that's exactly how we feel about it (love the beauty and theming, find it a nice change from ride-centric parks) but everyone is so different in their opinions and goals you never know what they'll like! I've never used an official touring plan, but based on my visits I'd guess they'd be most useful in MK and DHS and less so in AK and Epcot. At least for me, we spend the most leisurely, "discover it as you go" time in AK and Epcot and go from attraction to attraction in the other two.

AK is a photographer's dream...if by dream, you dream of narrow conjested paths with construction walls and printed screens for content. I love Everest as much as the next person, but it's a park we pick for after a long day at work cuz the safari and EE are great and we don't wear ourselves out with all there is to do...in an evening after work, we can catch several EE, one or two Safaris, a jungle trek, Kali, Dinosaur and still make it home for fireworks...

Great review of AK and good advice that you offered. I too was surprised by how much my family liked AK because we had also read repeatedly online that it is a half day park. Not for us! Since your son loves birds so much, you should definitely make time to see the Flights of Wonder show during your next visit to AK. It's a fabulous show, and I don't say that lightly. It's funny, informational, entertaining, and all around one of our favorite shows to watch. Enjoy the rest o your trip!

Love Animal Kingdom, my second favorite park but very well may be my favorite pretty soon. Looking forward to Rivers of Light and the Nighttime safari.

From what I have seen, a lot of people who consider AK a "half day" park are those who maybe visit very regularly and don't go to all of the attractions. For those people, it might be a half day park. For anyone else, I would consider it a full day park. Good review!

From there we went to Dinosaurland to ride Triceratops spin. I admit, I wish we hadn't. Now, I'll say this - the kids loved the Triceratops spin ride, and the games (we didn't get to the Boneyard). But... it's just so out of place. It felt like nothing more than the local county fair, which I know is the idea, but, heck, I can get the county fair at home. I mean, the theming is well done, like all things Disney, but... IMO, the theming just doesn't work for Animal Kingdom. But, all that said, I can see the appeal for kids, so... it is what it is. But, I wish that they would let AK stay as a more natural, relaxing place, instead of trying for ride-central "theme park" feel.

And so next stop is Hollywood Studios tomorrow!

This is almost our exact first impression of the area we now call "carniland" Just doesn't feel right at AK. I've read about the backstory and how Walt loved the local carnival and all, but I have to say, that area of AK doesn't fit AT ALL.

The other area we REALLY don't like are the "tombstones" (photo monuments) out in front of Epcot. Looks terrible, they are in the way, and it's just more hard surface on top of hard surface.

Oh, and if you are surprised that people call AK a half day park (which I also disagree with), wait until HS. It's even less of a half day park although some say that same thing about HS. For first time visitors AK, and especially HS are easily full day parks, even repeatable on the same trip.

Dan

Glad you had a great time!...I just wanted to say that I didn't hear you mention the train near the safari!....My family only went for the first time this past summer, but your kids might really enjoy it: we saw a rat having surgery, several animal things to identify with guides, a petting area, and more that I cannot recall. My DD was 15 and found it worth taking time out from touring the park!

AK is a photographer's dream...if by dream, you dream of narrow conjested paths with construction walls and printed screens for content. I love Everest as much as the next person, but it's a park we pick for after a long day at work cuz the safari and EE are great and we don't wear ourselves out with all there is to do...in an evening after work, we can catch several EE, one or two Safaris, a jungle trek, Kali, Dinosaur and still make it home for fireworks...

lol. I don't know what park you went to, but not the same one I did! Oh the walls are there, but I still managed to find many, many things to shoot. You just have to see beauty in the different things and time your shot right.

I agree though, it's so much more relaxing pace than the other parks.

Glad you had a great time!...I just wanted to say that I didn't hear you mention the train near the safari!....My family only went for the first time this past summer, but your kids might really enjoy it: we saw a rat having surgery, several animal things to identify with guides, a petting area, and more that I cannot recall. My DD was 15 and found it worth taking time out from touring the park!

We're going to do that on the next day. I know that the kids are going to spend quite a fair amount of time there. The next day we're hoping to do Lion King, FOW, and Conservation Station, Discovery & Oasis trails.

Oh, and if you are surprised that people call AK a half day park (which I also disagree with), wait until HS. It's even less of a half day park although some say that same thing about HS. For first time visitors AK, and especially HS are easily full day parks, even repeatable on the same trip.

Dan

Um, yup. You called this. Today is our HS day, we went for the morning, are home on break, and going back shortly. Yeah, there is NO way that HS is a half day park if you're going to enjoy most of the attractions. Impossible! Though, I can see how it might be shorter for those with older kids, since a few of the shows are really for younger kids. But still! Honestly, we've done the morning there, we're going for the entire evening and we could STILL go back for another mornings, easily.

Thank you for you honest review of AK! I appreciate it very much. We are going for the first time in September. I like your perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter