Animal Kingdom Plan Help!

ginadv

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I've been working on our Animal Kingdom plan--and struggling! I think mainly because we want to do both Everest and Safari. This is what I've come up with. We don't want to do Tough to be a Bug or Dinosaur. Our kids are 9, 7 & 5. We'll be there over the fourth of July. AK is a recommended park the day we're planning to go. So here it is:

RD
Dad gets Everest FPs (mom & kids to Safari)
Family meets at Safaris and rides
(will we be able to get another FP for Kali on our way to Dinoland?)
Triceratops Spin
maybe Boneyard
Ride EE with FPs (will we have time?)
(FP Kali if not already done or get another set if possible)
Maharaja Trail (by 10:45)
11:30 FoW
lunch
Camp Minnie Mickey Character Trails (skip if there's only a 1pm Lion King)
1 or 1:30 Lion King
Ride EE with FPs (would really like to fit this in before lunch as noted above)
Ride Kali with FPs
Visit Discovery Island trails on the way out
Leave AK

A lot of this depends on showtimes, which I won't know for sure until the week of our trip. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
Gina:goodvibes

I'm not big on planning out the whole day. I feel like you need to react to crowds, lines and circumstances that you dont necessarily know going in.

I do think you need to know what you're doing the first few when you get into the park.

My AK start - assuming amemh is to FP EE then ride EE, maybe twice, then head over to KS and ride standby. You can cycle EE 2x within 30 minutes, and you'd still be within EMH to have a minimal standby wait on KS. When your fp window opens it will be after 9am - maybe close to 10 and that's when I'd get the fp for KRR (which doens't open at 8)

If not amemh, I'd send a runner to FP KRR and ride EE standby, then head over to KS for standby.

We're not going on a morning EMH day...it'll be a regular 9am RD.

I like to have a plan for the day. I'm a plan girl!

I'm a plan girl too, so I get you. I would go to Steve Soares's website w/showtimes for each week. Your week will not be up yet of course, but the times don't change very much, so you can get a good idea to plan around. Another option for getting started early would be to make an early reservation at Tusker House, which is right next to Safari. I know you are going at a busy time, but you could check for availability. We made an 8:05 or 8:15 reservation, and weren't quite done at 9:00, so DH went next door to get FP for Safari. It's nice cause you're already back in the park before people even come through the front gates. As a plus, you meet the Mickey gang in their safari gear, and don't have to do Camp Mickey later! (You could also schedule a late brft around 10:30 and do main rides 1st and not have to stop at main lunch time).

Either way I think your beginning plan sounds good, but you could probably both ride the rides you're heading to once and get a FP when you come off, as first thing the lines usually not too long, then have the chance to do it again (or you and hubby could swap and do the opposite rides later). This is what we do w/ TSM at HS - ride 1st and grab FP to ride again. Hope that helps!

cassie 58
11/08-ASMo & Timeshare
8/09-CSR
11/11 - POP/CSR - Hoping! :)

Thanks, folks!

Bumping this up...anyone else want to share their experiences? My main concern is that by the time DH meets us at the Safari after getting the EE FPs, the Safari standby line will be so long that it pushes all our other stuff back...

The other idea would be for all of us to go straight to the Safari, ride, then I take the kids to Dinoland while DH FPs EE and rides once in the single rider line (so he can scope out the scare factor for the rest of us). Then he can meet us either at Maharaja or in Dinoland depending on the time.

:confused3 Tips?

The other idea would be for all of us to go straight to the Safari, ride, then I take the kids to Dinoland while DH FPs EE and rides once in the single rider line (so he can scope out the scare factor for the rest of us).

I think this is the better plan.

You're going at a busy time, and I think you're right that the Safari could have a substantial wait time (30 minutes?) by the time your husband gets there with the Everest Fast Passes in hand.

Also, I think you have an excellent idea for husband to ride Everest single-rider in order to assess scare factor for the rest of you.

So even if we don't finish the Safari until close to 9:45 (is that possible if we go straight at RD?) there will still be Everest FPs available? And the return time will still be relatively early? I don't want to risk a 4pm EE return time...though I don't think that really happens for EE--Soarin' yes, but not EE, correct?

Thanks!! :goodvibes

So even if we don't finish the Safari until close to 9:45 (is that possible if we go straight at RD?) there will still be Everest FPs available? And the return time will still be relatively early? I don't want to risk a 4pm EE return time...though I don't think that really happens for EE--Soarin' yes, but not EE, correct?

Thanks!! :goodvibes

Yes, I think you are correct.

I have never heard of Everest Fast Passes running out before noon.

Yes, 9:45 is a good estimate of when you will be off the Safari, and I wouldn't expect the Everest Fast Pass return time to be later than about noon.

However, you might not be eligible for Kali Fast Passes until 11:45 or so and on a hot day, the return time for it could be ater 4:00 p.m.

How much time do you have budgeted for the Boneyard? IIRC, it's more of a giant play area than a ride (or maybe that's something else and I'm misremembering). Any way, we gave our kids 30 minutes and it was difficult to get them out. It was also difficult for one adult to keep track of two kids and the exits aren't manned, FYI.

Yes, the boneyard is a huge play area. We'd likely do that with 2 parents. I have it as a maybe pending time...

g-dad: Not to beat a dead horse with this touring plan-thing, but I'd hate to miss Kali (that's my favorite ride) and we really want to be out of there by around 2pm. If DH heads to EE for FPs at Rope Drop via Dinoland and then high tails it back to KS to meet us to ride, the KS standby line could, theoretically, still be totally reasonable. We're still talking first 15 minutes of park opening. Waiting until after Safaris to nab the Everest FPs might really push us back too far on FP windows for the rest of the day...

This really shouldn't be such rocket science, but I'm having a much harder time with this AK plan than the other parks! :rolleyes:

I like going straight to the safari, if for no other reasons, that you will see more of the animals when you are there earlier. They like the cool of the morning.

Then I would go get FP for EE, and then 2 hours (or earlier, if you can) get FP for Kali. Fill in everything else with shows!

Having the hindsight of been there done that, let me share a few tips.

First, navigating thru an AK park opening is a challenge in and of itself. Large crowds form at the turnstiles - some having very long lines while others are empty. This can be very confusing if you don't understand how the process works. We arrived around 8:30 and it was packed! So we positioned ourselves around the turnstile accepting the early entry for Tusker House. (it runs breakfast an hour before park opening) and it became active to all guests at the same time the other turnstiles opened, so we got into the park ahead of the fray.

We also noticed most if not all gates opened up including those which had no pre-formed lines so have a plan on this before you arrive.

Second, once you get thru - you are held at rope drop with CM's positioned to walk guests to either EE or the Safari. It is hectic and may be stressful for your five year old, who will become surrounded by anxious guests waiting for what seems like an eternity for the official park opening ceremony. I think for us we were let thru the gates around 8:50 and the park ceremony started minutes before 9.

People tend to walk briskly so decide how you want your family to proceed. Our plan was for me to get the fps for the safari and -meet everyone at EE. The coaster is practically a walk on during the first half hour and takes less than 5 mins to ride while the safari takes a minimum of 15 -20 to experience plus a slight walk over to EE from where you exit It can easily take up the first half hour of your morning not to mention if someone needs to stop for whatever reason.

From EE we head to dinoland with everything still a walk on including dinosaur.
this strategy should free up your entire day and afford plenty of time for breaks, shows etc............. it worlks great for our family. We seem to always stay a step ahead of the crowds.

Most important is to stay calm and walk with a reassuring attitude to relax the kids.

hope this helps.

g-dad: Not to beat a dead horse with this touring plan-thing, but I'd hate to miss Kali (that's my favorite ride) and we really want to be out of there by around 2pm. If DH heads to EE for FPs at Rope Drop via Dinoland and then high tails it back to KS to meet us to ride, the KS standby line could, theoretically, still be totally reasonable. We're still talking first 15 minutes of park opening. Waiting until after Safaris to nab the Everest FPs might really push us back too far on FP windows for the rest of the day...

It's a little after noon Eastern time right now, and I just checked touringplans.com for the Fast Pass return time for Kali. And the return time is 3:40 p.m.

However, the return time for Everest right now is only 12:40! Hmmm....

The 4th of July week will be busier than today, so yes, it looks like you couldn't get Kali done (with Fast Passes) before 2pm when you want to leave.

But a possible alternative is to get Kali Fast Passes after Safari, and then get Everest Fast Passes when eligible (could be eligible by about 10:30) -- AND if husband rides Everest single-rider and decides ride is too intense for the rest of you, then you're home free.... ;)

OR, yes, you could go with your original plan, and if husband hot-foots it, he can probably reach the Safari by 9:20, unless he gets bogged down at the Everest Fast Pass machines (which has happend to me when I was pretty far back in the Rope Drop crowd). Maybe he can inch forward in the Rope Drop crowd while the rest of you hang back and stroll leisurely to Safari.

Unlike Summer 09, last summer we experienced pretty low stand by lines at KS - especially in the am. EE on the other hand was quite long.

Kali and EE are in the same area of the park - KS is in the other corner.

I still think the best plan is to have a runner hustle over and FP KRR for the group, and meet you to ride EE standby then head over to KS. If you're at rope drop you'll be at KS probably by 9:30 and I'd guess done with it by 10am. FP Dinosaur when your window opens which will be 11am at the latest - that gets the big 4 rides accounted for within your first hour. You will have the rest of your day for shows, parades and duplicating rides.

It's a little after noon Eastern time right now, and I just checked touringplans.com for the Fast Pass return time for Kali. And the return time is 3:40 p.m.

However, the return time for Everest right now is only 12:40! Hmmm....

I'd think this is not normal, but this is why I don't feel like you are best served by planning out your whole day. You never know when an opportunity like this presents itself - to be able to FP EE at noon and get another FP within 40 minutes is a great opportunity. If you're committed to a preplanned schedule it makes it difficult to adapt to things like this.

I still think best strategy is to plan out your first hour or so, then adapt and go from there.

(will we be able to get another FP for Kali on our way to Dinoland?)

Forgot to answer this - No. the FP window will not yet be open for your second fp at that time. I'd send a runner from DinoLand if you really have concerns but lines for Kali shouldn't begin to form before 11.

Our plan probably won't work for you (since you have children that might want to ride EE), but here it is anyway. We'll be there at the end of July, so it won't be as croweded at 7/4 week.

Rope Drop- Animal Kingdom
-Grab FP for Kilimanjaro Safari, Ride Kilimanjaro Safari
(I LOVE it and I think DS will too, so I want to try to do it twice)
-Ride SRL for EE (get FP if window is open and want to ride again)
-Ride Tricera Top Spin/Play at the Boneyard (for DS)
QS lunch or picnic
Explore
*Fit in show where possible- definitely Lion King, maybe Nemo too.. maybe the Bug one, since I've never seen it...

We can easily use the single rider line for EE since it will just be DH and I that are able to ride and we'll have to get a Rider Switch, so we'll be riding it separately. I also have zero interest in KRR. I pretty much hate that kind of ride. I don't like being wet unless I'm at a water park. I've also been told not to waste time at TTS, but since we don't know how DS will do with it, we're going to do it and then if he hates it, we know not to bother with a long line for Dumbo a few days later. :-)

Forgot to answer this - No. the FP window will not yet be open for your second fp at that time. I'd send a runner from DinoLand if you really have concerns but lines for Kali shouldn't begin to form before 11.

The window could be open by then. If husband gets Everest Fast Pass at 9:10, the return time could well be 10:00. And if he gets to Safari by 9:20, they won't finish the Safari until about 10:00 or later.

I'd say odds are very good that they would be elgibile for Kali Fast Passes on their way from Africa to Dinoland (going via Asia where husband will ride Everest single-rider).

The window could be open by then. If husband gets Everest Fast Pass at 9:10, the return time could well be 10:00. And if he gets to Safari by 9:20, they won't finish the Safari until about 10:00 or later.

I'd say odds are very good that they would be elgibile for Kali Fast Passes on their way from Africa to Dinoland (going via Asia where husband will ride Everest single-rider).

If you get the first EE fp's issued, the return time will be 10-11 am with the next avail time for FP #2 at 10:05. Sure, you could easily spend a good half hour navigating thru the safari standby at 9:20. I was under the impression from the OP's initial touring plan they were hoping to get in more than one attraction during that first hour and were on the move.

All,

Thanks so very much for all of your thoughtful replies! :goodvibes

Must unpack groceries and head out to pick up various children (though I would love to remain glued to Dis--our trip is practically in 2 weeks!).

I will respond to everyone's suggestions in peace when the three rugrats are in bed for the night!

Warm Regards,
Gina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter