Animal Kingdom Lodge

hedge333

Mouseketeer
2 quick questions:
Is a Savannah view a must at AKL?
How is the bus transportation?

Thanks

1. If it's your first time at AKV, yes.

2. The buses are fine. Most people who complain about them typically expect a closer-to-park experience. AKV is a destination in its own right.

I don't think paying for one is worth it, often you can book a standard view but request a certain location and get a savannah view. There are plenty of view spots at the resort.

The buses are the buses are the buses. You are going to have good luck and bad luck no matter where you stay.

Agree savanna view is best particularly if first trip there. Have found the AKV buses to be better than any other DVC resort for on time trips and lack of problems, including because you have only two internal stops, Kidani and Jambo, and no sharing with another resort.

Are you a view person? Do you miss having a view when you get a room without much of a view? If you answered yes, then I would go for a savanna view. If saving dollars or points is more important especially if it means more nights at the resort, I would go with a less expensive view.

But we own at AKV for the savanna view rooms.

It also depends on how much time you will spend on the balcony.

I think it's a lot of fun to observe animal behavior .. But it's not like there will always be a giraffe standing outside your window.

The reason to stay at AKV is to see animals, other than theming there isn't much else. A savanna view room gives you the best chance of seeing animals other than spending time at the viewing locations.

:earsboy: Bill

The buses are the buses are the buses. You are going to have good luck and bad luck no matter where you stay.

Yup, I've stayed at AKL so many times. Sometimes bus service is great-seems like a bus always arrives within a few minutes. Other times, it seems like I wait forever.

If you're a gambler, you could go for a standard view and hope you get a "partial savannah view". I didn't think there was anything "partial about it-

I have had both and adore the animals. I would say I enjoyed both the standard and view. The general viewing areas with the rocking chairs were delightful. Just moving from your room to the lobby you can see that animals it's lovely. So whatever fits your budget. It's not a showstopper to have a standard in my humble view. The resort itself is just amazing.

I don't consider it a must as there are lots of animal viewing opportunities around the resort but it is quite fun to walk out on your balcony and see a giraffe or zebra or any of the animals!

We stayed in a savanna view on our first ever Disney trip with DS - prior to owning DVC and prior to there even being a DVC at AKV. Soooo disappointed. We saw squat all week. On our subsequent trips when we stayed there we either booked value or standard and saw just as many animals. Then last year we decided to spring for a SV last summer for half of our 5 / 5 split trip. Again. SO NOT WORTH IT IMHO. We didn't see much due to the trees etc. - plus we're just not in the room all that much. We'd go out there on the balcony first thing in the mornings before heading out to the parks. Often TOO EARLY it seemed. Nothing was stirring yet. Then we'd run out there on our afternoon breaks - again, usually looking at nothing. Then we'd come in at night after it was dark so guess what? NOTHING OUT THERE!! We will not waste points on a SV room again. If you are someone who spends loads of time in your villa then maybe?! We prefer Jambo House hands down over Kidani tho regardless of view.

We have never had an especially bad experience with the buses there.

2 quick questions:
Is a Savannah view a must at AKL?
How is the bus transportation?

Thanks

If your talking Kidani, then I would say a savannah view is worth it. We have generally had a good animal viewing experience with the savannah view. We love coming back from the parks and sitting on the balcony. It is so quiet and peaceful. You don't get that kind of guaranteed serenity anywhere else. Our AKV standard view stays have had pool noise and bus stop noise (beep, beep, beep!). Most stays at the other resorts have had some degree of background noise, as well. After a morning/afternoon in the parks, it's nice to come back to a quiet savannah for a cold beer or glass of wine and a peaceful view.

As for the bus service, we have been very satisfied. We especially love it at Kidani, since that is the first stop for the park buses and they are usually empty. The ride back fromMK after Wishes always seems like an eternity, but I'm sure it is just because we're tired. AK, HS, and Epcot are all quick rides.

You can get a parking lot view or pool view at every other resort. The reason to stay at AKV/AKL is the savanna and the animals.

I have gotten a savanah view twice and only saw 1 ostrich both times. I saw if you have the points and its not that big aof a diff then go for it. I rather go for the room on the 5th floor facing the magic kingdom where you can see the parks fireworks and then just walk to the animal viewing locations.

We just got back from a stay at Kidani Village. We did not have a savannah view but we walked a few times to the viewing area and saw a few animals. One bedroom is very large with two complete bathrooms.

I timed the busses for the trips from/to Magic Kingdom. Average wait time (8 trips) was 5 minutes for the bus to arrive and 20.5 minutes to get to Magic Kingdom. YMMV. Our bus times were during the day, not after the fireworks.

Our room was more than 150m from the lobby. The pool was on the other side of the lobby. This is one spread out resort.

Eating opportunities at Kidani village are limited unless you like African food. We walked to Jambo house and at at Mora which is typical Disney quick service.

We just booked a value studio at Jambo House that popped up. Is there any info on where those rooms are located, floor etc. I realize that being "value" is not going to offer a lot just wanted to know as much as possible. If they are scattered any suggestions on location etc would be appreciated. It will be only 2 of us. Thanks!

We just booked a value studio at Jambo House that popped up. Is there any info on where those rooms are located, floor etc. I realize that being "value" is not going to offer a lot just wanted to know as much as possible. If they are scattered any suggestions on location etc would be appreciated. It will be only 2 of us. Thanks!
They are all on the fifth floor of Jambo House. Some are along the main drive, others might be pool or savanna view. You don't get a choice of view with Value villas. Maybe you'll be lucky.

They are on the Giraffee and Ostrich trails on the fifth floor. 2 of the studios face out towards the front Porte cochere of the resort. The rest either face the Sunset Savannah or the pool.

I did SV once. I tend to spend a lot of time on the balcony. It was nice to see animals, but I did not think it was nice enough to justify that many the extra points. As OP said, there are lots of other opportunities to see them.

I really enjoyed the theming of the resort. I particularly enjoyed sitting out by the campfire after dark listening to the guides from Africa tell the kids about Africa and the animals. The only thing I did not like was how spread out it was. Lots of walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter