Animal Kingdom Lodge

lhinton125

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of staying at the Animal Kindgom Lodge. Whats the good/bad? Can anyone give me any advice on Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Well, I can tell you, it's mostly good.

The Bad: There's no trail and there's not much outdoor activities; there could be a lot of walking to get to your room, but not more than a regular local hotel; It's the furthest hotel from Magic Kingdom

The Good: With that said, the bus ride from AKL to MK took us only 13 minutes at the longest out of all our stays there; the bus has no other stops; the food is EXCELLENT; the mousekeeping has always been wonderful; they have nightvision goggles, so you can watch the animals at night; very quiet and cozy; and of course, you get to see animals grazing outside your window!!!!! :) There's more good, but I think you get the jist ;)

We are thinking of staying at the Animal Kindgom Lodge. Whats the good/bad? Can anyone give me any advice on Animal Kingdom Lodge?

We have stayed there many times. If you are looking for a relaxing stay with a view that you cannot get at any other resort in the U.S. this is the place. Over the years we have had views of all three savannas and each was special in its own way. The lobby and rooms are dark but that is part of the theming, even though the lighting in the sink area of the rooms could be brighter. The smells and sounds of the lobby are great and Jiko is an amazing place for a nice dinner. The location is remote but that is also part of the theming. The bus service to the parks is great because it does not share with any other resorts as of this time. You are picked up at the AKL and then taken to your destianation. It really depends what you are looking for from your vacation experiance. If relaxation and being able to have a view from your room that you cannot get anywhere else then a savanna view room at the AKL is the way to go as long as you are not breaking your vacation budget of course.

I agree with both above posts. We stayed at AKL a year ago and loved it. I was really concerned about the distance issue, but not sharing busses with other resorts cut travel times enough to make up for it.

We loved the food, the bunk beds, the South African wines, the pool, the look and feel of the resort, our bunkbed room, and most of all, the view from our room of giraffes and zebras. My favorite thing was after the kids went to bed, sitting out on the balcony with a glass or wine.

The only downside to me is that you can't walk into Epcot, like that BW/BC/YC, and it is not on the monorail line.

I'm researching for a trip to Disney, and it appears there is ongoing construction at Animal Kingdom. How noisy/disruptive is this? We'll be going down there with a toddler so if its noisy as I expect it will be, naptime will be a problem. Thanks.

We stayed at AKL in 05 and it was a wonderful experience. Walking into the lobby was an instance sense of relaxation. I agree with what one of the other poster said about a long walk to some of the rooms. Our room seemed about a mile from the lobby and with hallway being on an incline, up to the rooms, the walk was a little long after a day out at the parks. But, the stunning views, spectacular theming and total package makes you over look anything negative. Believe me there isn't much of anything negative.

If you do decide to book AKL you'll have a great time!

I have agree with what everyone else is saying only thing i will mention is they are doing construction here till Winter of 2009 but is rarely noticeable and all and all its a very nice resort to stay at

We just got back Friday from staying AKL for the 1st time. I was very pleased w/the resort. It is very quiet in the rooms. The restaurants have great food. They had activities for kids thru out the resort. One table was making valentines, one was painting magnets, one was making a bead bracelet. The bus service is great. There is a nice playground there, heated pool, and of course the animals!!!! It is so peaceful there, a nice break from the parks.
We've stayed at Poly b4 & hands down I would stay at AKL over Poly any day! I have not one complaint about AKL, where as I have many about Poly.
We did not hear any construction at all last week & we came back for DS's naps daily. We were on the Zebra Trail w/a pool view.

I agree with everyone else -- AKL is just amazing -- we have only toured it and eaten at Boma, but we fell head over heels in love with it! So much so that we are staying there in June! :banana: But it all depends on what you are looking for and what you want from your resort.

We've had great experiences at AKL. The service, pool, dining, views, atmosphere, have all been wonderful.

In fact, our next trip is in 26 days to AKLVillas! :thumbsup2

Love this resort it is our current favorite. Great pool, restaurants, service. CL is the best going IMO. 2 hot tubs. Our course a giraffee off your balcony is pretty cool too!!! The smell of the lobby. Boma. I could go on and on. Yes it is bus only but it doesnt share buses with other resorts. Go for it!!!:thumbsup2

I "Think" all the construction is now on the new building??? So in that case it's probaby not going to be too disrputive. The new building is close to the existing, but not RIGHT there to make you hear noise.

IMHO this is the ONLY Disney "deluxe" worth paying for. It's truly unique. That said, I won't stay there unless I can get a Savannah view room. I know I would be heartbroken to be looking at a parking lot instead of zebras!

We love AKL.

Positives- the beautiful theming. The lobby is incredibly majestic and amazing. There is always a roaring fire and at night cast members tell stories by the fire. Going outside to see the animals by day is great, and at night the cast members provide you with night time goggles to see them which is another great experience. On that note, speaking to the cast members in general is always rewarding as they are from Africa and can provide great insight into the experiences they have had, which are so different than ours. The pool is the biggest in all of Disney World and is very lush with beautiful vegetation and a very fun pool bar. The CS Mara is very good, and they play Disney cartoons which are fun to watch while eating. You can also eat outside which is very peaceful in the morning and evening. Boma and Jiko are both very good and unique experiences. Lastly, if you have a savanna view room seeing the animals from your balcony is an experience you will never forget.

Negatives- AK is a remote location comparatively to the EPCOT, or monorail resorts, however the buses are definitely efficient. If transportation is an issue you are concerned with I would consider having a car which is rewarding and beneficial in many ways as you can take the car to minigolf, restaurants at other hotels, Universal etc. Also, there is no character meal. Then again if you have the car it is very easy to get anywhere!

Have a wonderful time!

We love AKL.

Positives- the beautiful theming. The lobby is incredibly majestic and amazing. There is always a roaring fire and at night cast members tell stories by the fire. Going outside to see the animals by day is great, and at night the cast members provide you with night time goggles to see them which is another great experience. On that note, speaking to the cast members in general is always rewarding as they are from Africa and can provide great insight into the experiences they have had, which are so different than ours. The pool is the biggest in all of Disney World and is very lush with beautiful vegetation and a very fun pool bar. The CS Mara is very good, and they play Disney cartoons which are fun to watch while eating. You can also eat outside which is very peaceful in the morning and evening. Boma and Jiko are both very good and unique experiences. Lastly, if you have a savanna view room seeing the animals from your balcony is an experience you will never forget.

Negatives- AK is a remote location comparatively to the EPCOT, or monorail resorts, however the buses are definitely efficient. If transportation is an issue you are concerned with I would consider having a car which is rewarding and beneficial in many ways as you can take the car to minigolf, restaurants at other hotels, Universal etc. Also, there is no character meal. Then again if you have the car it is very easy to get anywhere!

Have a wonderful time!

Serendipity I'm not sure if you remember but we frequented each others trip reports last year!:thumbsup2 I saw that you are going to AKL in April we will be there in April too, the 20th-30th. How about you:confused3 :goodvibes

Serendipity I'm not sure if you remember but we frequented each others trip reports last year!:thumbsup2 I saw that you are going to AKL in April we will be there in April too, the 20th-30th. How about you:confused3 :goodvibes

Of course I remember! How are you? We will be there from April 2nd-6th, too bad we could have gotten a drink!

We are splitting our stay with CS and AKL and bringing our toddler. Any suggestions for activities with a little one? Our AKL stay is April 2nd to April 5th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter