Animal Kingdom lodge or the Polynesian?

starling

Earning My Ears
First-timer here! :goodvibes I've been to Disneyland, but this is going to be my inaugural WDW trip. My DBF left me in charge of the planning, and I'm having such a hard time deciding between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Polynesian. :confused3 WDW fans, I could use some advice. Which resort do you prefer? Also, which one has the best in-house restaurants? :rotfl: I know my DBF wouldn't mind having some good eats close at hand!

I have never actually stayed at either of these but we have eaten in the restaurants of both! Since this is your first visit to WDW, I would go for the Poly! Here's why:

It's right on the monorail line so you'll have very easy access to Magic Kingdom & EPCOT. Being that you're used to Disneyland, you will not believe how huge WDW is & it takes you a while to get from A to B. Staying in a monorail resort will make that so wonderful for your first time!

O'Hana is amazing! OMG!! Check out the menus on www.allears.net Kona Cafe is also really good & they have great coffee! PLUS ~ you can watch the WISHES fireworks from the sandy beach & they pipe in the music...UNBELIEVABLE!!! :cloud9:

Don't get me wrong, we've visited AKL several times & it is simply breathtaking! I would love to stay there someday! Boma was fabulous, The Mara was fabulous, we never tried Jiko, but I'm sure it's fabulous as well! The resort is just a bit further away from everything than you may want to be for your inaugural visit...just my opinion, of course!!

Looking forward to seeing what all the other DIS peeps recommend!

I would agree with jjzmgailey. For your first time and having those be your choices your are quite lucky and can't go wrong, but I would definitely choose the Poly. I love being next to the MK you just seem to be immersed in the magic more. AKL is another great resort though, but a totally different experience. I also like the restaurants at the Poly better. So all in all, my vote is the Poly!

Just did a split stay at both this summer. This is a really tough one. We really enjoyed the food at both resorts so unless you have specific preferences you'll be fine.

The view from the beach at the Poly was amazing... but unless you're getting a theme park view room you can hang out on the Poly beach and watch the fireworks without paying that much money. At AKL we had a Savannah view room that was simply amazing. The ambiance of the resort is incredible. And it cost a lot less.

If you're really into the MK and are going to spend a lot of time in that specific park I'd probably stay at the Poly. You'll spend just about as much time on Disney buses going to all of the other parks no matter where you stay.

This might not help... but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Both resorts are very charming. And if you're able to do a split stay... I think this has to be one best combinations you could enjoy at WDW.

I've stayed at both and love AKL so much more. The only thing Poly has over AKL is the monorail. I like AKL's food court better than Poly's, lots more variety.

Poly hands down IMO is the much better choice. And a savannah view room at the AKL is just about the same price as a Garden View room at the Poly.

If you are going to sit in your room all day and look at animals, then maybe the AKL is the way to go. But if you really want to see animals that bad, then just go to Animal Kingdom for 1/2 day while you are staying at the Poly. The monorail at the Poly makes it very convienent for going to the MK and Epcot. AK is one of the furthest resorts from the MK.

The AK has a bigger food court, but we usually don't eat anything more than breakfast at our hotel. But the Poly has some nice breakfast(Tonga Toast), and lunch choices at their food court as well.

If it's your first time at Disney, then going with one of the "originals" like Poly is a no-brainer. You definently won't regret it!

Not that this is one of your choices, but you might want to consider the Boardwalk. Lots of restaurants (including ESPN if your BF is a sports fan) and you can walk to the Yacht/Beach Club and Swan/Dolphin and all of their restaurants. Also, you can walk (or take a boat ride) to Epcot (more restaurants) and Hollywood Studios. I like being able to walk to two of the four parks instead of waiting for the bus all the time. Plus there are entertainers on the Boardwalk at night which is somthing fun to do after you get back from the parks.

If that's not an option, I guess I would pick the Poly just for it's location. If you don't like the restaurants there, you can take the monorail to the other resorts. I think AKL is fabulous and loved having a savannah room but it is a bit far from everything else and the food isn't exactly our style.

Have a great time!!

AKL gets my vote! It is a stunning hotel. Boma is interesting to try. The bus service is great! We had a car while there but often took the bus instead. The best part of being at AKL was the architecture and coming "home" in the evening to all that beauty!

The Poly just didn't hit me that way. Although it does have a great location. We enjoy Ohana and will have dinner there on our next trip too.

If you can do a split trip and enjoy your top two choice that is what I would do.

Another AKL vote, love the fact it is away from the Disney hype so it can feel like another vacation less pool hoppers and other hotel guests wandering around.

Poly is our favorite resorts, stayed there 5 times and going back for #6 next month.

We stayed AKL CL last Oct and it was ok, very loud and busy resort (which the Poly can be too) but the location is the killer for us..just too far from the action.

AKL!!!!!! I have stayed at both & will stay again at AKL! We did not like Poly. Boma & Jiko are delicious! We liked the choices at Mara too. The theme is amazing & so serene! It's a nice break from the parks. You will never stay at a resort like this one anywhere else! PLuS, it's alot cheaper than Poly. At Poly we faced problems w/rooms & staff & also didn't like having to walk outside to get to everything. The only benefit of Poly is all the transportation options, but the buses were a pain. AKL's buses were quick b/c they don't stop anywhere else like the Poly does.
If you really want a monorail resort, then I would pick Contemporary or GF over Poly.

It really depends on what you're looking for. I've stayed at Poly and had a WONDERFUL stay. Nothing at all to complain about. That said, on our last trip we went to Boma at AKL and I am now certain that we are going to stay there on our next trip. Breathtaking resort. Amazing food. If you can get a Savannah view, you will not be sorry. I am completely obsessed with AKL right now. So I'm totally biased.

Things to consider (most if not all were already mentioned):
What park are you expecting to spend most of your time? If you are thinking MK/Epcot, Poly would be much more convenient.
How important is monorail access for you? The bus systems are very effecient, but the monorail is the best way to get around.
What generally do you prefer? Fantasy or Animals?

Tough choice, but you really can't go wrong! How long is your trip? If you're staying for over a week you could think of doing a split stay. That's what we're planning! Just another option!

We'll be there 8 days, 7 nights. Thinking about doing a split-stay between the two, Poly for five nights and AKL for 2, so we can wind down a bit away from the park before flying back home. ;)

It really truly depends on what you want out of your first trip to WDW. If you know that you're going to spend more time in MK, then it makes the most sense to stay at a monorail resort. Many people are wary about AKL because of the transportation issue, but I can attest that transportation to/from AKL is not an issue. I think that while AKL is far from the other resorts, the bus transportation is no different than the other resort buses that go to the deluxe resorts. We've never had an issue with transportation to/from AKL, furthermore, we like that AKL only had one resort stop- in that AKL doesn't share with any other resorts. However, now with Kidani Villages, there will be two stops, but still, it's not bad compared to the resorts that have multiple bus stops, such as BW/BC/YC that sometimes shares bus routes (it changes depending on occupancy and the season, so don't quote me) or have mutliple bus stops (SSR).

In terms of theme, we love, love, love AKL. This resort has one of the best, most unique theming compared to other resorts in the entire world, let alone WDW. I can't get over how unique it is. I loved the architecture, the decor, the whole concept. I think for my family, while the Poly is great (especially with its close proximity to the parks), the whole tropical theme is a "been there, done that." My family frequents tropical locations on business/leisure frequently so it's not something that we really care about at WDW, especially since it's a theme versus the "real thing" (please no flames- I'm comparing the Poly to resorts in "real" tropical locations, such as Hawaii and Malaysia for instance). In terms of restaurants, Poly is better situated in that there are more restaurant choices with the whole being on the monorail route thing. However, the food at the AKL is amazing. My family makes it a point to eat at Boma every trip (regardless of whether or not we're staying at the resort). Jiko is also fabulous. Sanaa's been getting great reviews as well.

Good luck deciding! You can't go wrong with either!

Just read the OP's latest post. A split stay is a great idea! We did a split stay the week of Christmas/New Year's last year with YC and the GF. It was nice being able to check out two resorts and having a chance in scenery. It's also not difficult to do at all- Disney handled the transportation/luggage and check-in well. Let me know if you have any questions!

They are both great. IMHO I prefer AKL.
I love the whole feel of the place.

Jiko is one of the top 5 restaurants @ WDW I believe (try the filet:thumbsup2) along w/ Calf. Grill..

Monorail @ P is an added plus, but if I had to choose one, I would do AKL, even w/o the monorail.

Have fun no matter...:cool1:

We'll be there 8 days, 7 nights. Thinking about doing a split-stay between the two, Poly for five nights and AKL for 2, so we can wind down a bit away from the park before flying back home. ;)

We are huge Poly fans who have always been intrigued by AKL. We dined at Boma several years ago, and while we didn't have a great experience there, we were really WOWed by the resort. We have wanted to give AKL a try, but we're a little worried about the remote location. So were are going to do a split stay next trip, 7 nights at Poly (we will do MK, Epcot and DHS), and then 3 nights at AKL Club level, which by the way costs about the same as Garden View at the Poly. We will spend lots of "down time" at the resort enjoying the special safaris, and do the Animal Kingdom from there. We cannot wait!! Many people do split stays for shorter trips and love it, but we have never done a split for 7 nights. Can you add 1 or 2 nights? Just a thought.

I don't know if this is a factor for you, but at the Poly, there are no king bed rooms. All standard rooms have 2 queens and a daybed. I believe that AKL has king rooms available upon request? Also, the Poly has no hot tub. AKL has a few, plus AKL guests are allowed to use the pool facilities at AKV Kidani, which has at least one more. AKL also has its own spa. The Poly doesn't have a spa, but guests are welcome to use the one at the GF, which is a beautiful, short walk or monorail ride away. If your trip is adult-only, these things might matter to you more than they do to us.

Honestly, you can not go wrong with either of these resorts. Let us know what you decide and have a magical trip!

AKL

It is way more interesting..More decor, just a lovely resort..
YES YES the monorail is AWESOME having it right there at the Poly...But, AKL is soo nice and its your 1st trip, plus its cheaper... Either way have a great time..

DBF hinted that I might want to look at a resort with a more elegant decor. He's so :snooty:, haha. If I'm looking for such a place, where would everyone recommend? Money isn't an object, DBF has a great job and says I can go hog wild in planning. I'm going to take advantage of this trip and I want to be sure that the resort we're staying at is the best of the best. Since I'm a newbie to WDW, I'm asking you wonderful veterans for some assistance! :lovestruc

DBF hinted that I might want to look at a resort with a more elegant decor. He's so :snooty:, haha. If I'm looking for such a place, where would everyone recommend? Money isn't an object, DBF has a great job and says I can go hog wild in planning. I'm going to take advantage of this trip and I want to be sure that the resort we're staying at is the best of the best. Since I'm a newbie to WDW, I'm asking you wonderful veterans for some assistance! :lovestruc

The most "elegant" in my opinion are GF, BWI and YC, in that order. That doesn't necessarily make them the best. My faves in terms of theme are still Poly, AKL and WL. But everyone has their unique taste, and that's why Disney offers so many different options. I recommend asking lots of specific questions here on the Dis and check out www.allears.net for tons of photos and FAQs about all the Disney resorts. Since money is no object, you might want to consider booking a club level room at one of these resorts for a more pampered type of stay.

Enjoy the planning!

Edited to add: You may want to post this as a NEW question since your original question was Poly or AKL. People tend not to read each comment within a thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter