Animal Kingdom in less than 8 hours?

TammyJ

Mouseketeer
I've read a few different accounts of how long people spend at DAK. But they were either missing, or I can't remember, a couple of pieces of information that would help me plan. I've read a lot of people are there around opening and out by 2pm and a few posts where people stayed all day. But I don't know if they were with children, what ages, temperment etc.

My DD is 5 and usually likes to explore and take her time. My DS is 2 and is, well, 2 so we'll humor him. We're not die-hard got to do the rides kind of people (Except the Safari of course).

So my question is...What have other's experienced as far as how long they spent at DAK with similar kids or opinions in general?

My kids are now 8, 6 and 3 and we have been going for years to WDW. I can say that, for us, we NEVER spend an entire day at this park. We stroll, we eat, we ride, we look at the animals - we do not go comando - and we always accomplish everything we wish and are usually leaving by around 2:00 (if we get there early). We have even gotten there around 11:00ish and were satisfied by closing. HTH!

We never spend more than 4 or 5 hours in this park and do most everything in that time. The animals are out more in the morning when it's cool but it's very slow after 2:30 p.m.

We're lucky if we're there for more than 2 hours. The park can be covered in about an hour if there isn't a big crowd in the parks and the shows don't have a long wait time. If you want to see the animals be there as soon as the park opens that way you get to see them as much as possible. After 11am the animals start to find places to lie down and nap...especially when the day starts to get hot. In my experience, i don't see much animal activity after 11am as i do when it's earlier than 11am. Just an observation.

It usually takes us about six or seven hours to do the whole park. It has a lot to do with how much folks are "into" animals. You can spend an hour in the Oasis portion alone, going from spot to spot viewing the animals that are there, while some folks speed through that part of the park without realized that it is actually an attraction.

The only time we stayed past mid afternoon, we were camped out for the parade and then left soon after.

First off: Don't skip any parts of this park! Makesure you visit Conservation station and the petting zoo area. We get SO MANY COMMENTS from folks who said.."oh we've never bothered coming back here before" and then they proceed to tell us we are one their new favorite places to visit and that they will be sure to tell their friends that we are "not to be missed".

To get there...ride the Wildlife Express Train from Harambe to Rafikis Planet watch....walk the pathway to CS. Note: If you go first thing in the morning....(either before or soon after you ride Safari) then you have chance of viewing the Vets doing procedures/exams for that day thru the Vet. Window. Most procedures/exams start at 9:30am and finish up around 11am.
If you have children/or adults who really love watching Animal Planet etc. they will love this building!

The Sounds of the Rainforest Booths are not to be missed either.

The Petting zoo area is wonderfully entertaining as well.. We often have guests stay up to an hour in there.

The attraction is done completely at your own pace, and there is ample air conditioning and places to rest on hot day. A place to "recharge" yourself.

Come visit us!

We'll surely be back there in January.... I'll try to remember my lime green ribbon -- please say hi if you see me!

CastMemberDWA said:
First off: Don't skip any parts of this park! Makesure you visit Conservation station and the petting zoo area.

Good advice.

I'm sure this attraction gets overlooked by the vast majority of visitors, but there are worthwhile things there.

Thanks everyone for your replies. From what I'm gathering here, it sounds like we'll probably spend most of the day here but that we won't feel rushed doing it. My DD really does love to take her time and investigate the details. Thanks too for the positive remarks about Conservation Station. I had thought about skipping it...and was worried I wouldn't be able to because my DS will definitely want to ride the train. I think the parade is at 3:45 so we can see the park and the parade and still make it back to the hotel to get the kids settled for the sitter. Then DH and I are going out on a date...the first in 3 months!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

My advice would be to take your time and enjoy AK. We at the DIS seem to get into the "commando" mentality sometimes, and there are so many "I get in and out in an hour" posts- if you have kids that like animals, you really will want to have longer to really appreciate the park. It isn't really set up to be rushed through- you need to linger here and there to get the most out of it.

We expected to spend a couple of hours there split between two mornings this past October. Well, we ended up spending more than half the day both days, and wishing we had more time. We didn't get to Conservation Station- we ran out of time. We enjoyed AK MUCH more than we expected to.

I have a friend that loves animals, her husband and daughter are the same way. They spent two entire days at the Animal Kingdom. When we went, we got there at opening and stayed until close which was five o'clock. I feel like we missed a lot. We never made it to FOTLK, we didn't see Conservation Station, and completely missed Camp Minnie Mickey. Next time we go I plan to take one full day and probably half of another. It is a wonderful park and really great for small kids who can't ride many rides. There is a lot to see and do. My three year old really loved the AK.

I must be slow, but I have no problem spending an entire day in this park, and that's even including on early entry days. I just love walking around and enjoying the atmosphere of AK, and of course the rides, shows and the parade as well. ::MickeyMo

I loved this park... :goodvibes I could have easily spent a day and a half there - it's very relaxing to look at the scenery there :flower:

TINK61 said:
I must be slow, but I have no problem spending an entire day in this park, and that's even including on early entry days. I just love walking around and enjoying the atmosphere of AK, and of course the rides, shows and the parade as well. ::MickeyMo

I agree. I love this park. I think its the lushest of all. My wife and dd8 don't feel the same however. They could see it in a couple of hours. I can easily spend the whole day. I guess everybody's different.

We, (DH, DS7 & DS8) love Animal Kingdom. Last November we were there all day, at least until after the parade! It opened at 9am and we were in line for the opening. While we were waiting they had CM's touring the lines and showing Tarantulas. My boys loved that! We were then able to see the opening of the park with Mickey and crew.

We we were able to do the Safari, Kali, TTBAB, Lion King (awesome, not to be missed!!), the play area in Dinoland and Tarzan. We probably did some more, but, can't remember - I'd have to refer to my Scrapbrook. We were able to take our time and do the trail after the Safari (sorry, don't remember what that's called). We had lunch at McDonald's (in AK), had snacks and we also did some Character signing.

We then did the 3pm parade and then left.

I quess you can take all day or just do some of the highlights that interest you. We are a high energy family and love to do everything humanly possible. My boys did not get tired out at all, they were out walking me!

Have fun!

we went with no kids but really think a lot depends on the kids. my granddaughter loves animals and probably would stand all day watching them( like her grandparents:)) but i know some people zip through in 1/2 a day. we spent most of 2 days and would have liked a little more time there. for adults, imo the themeing is some of the best at wdw. I loved the street preformances as well. you probably could do the Rides only in 1/2 day but if i had to do that i'd feel cheated

My DD (9) and I always spend a full day at AK. We usually still don't see it all. We both love animals and there is so much to see! :wave:

TammyJ said:
Thanks too for the positive remarks about Conservation Station. I had thought about skipping it...and was worried I wouldn't be able to because my DS will definitely want to ride the train.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

My kids love the train, the petting zoo and conservation station. We probably spent the most time there.

Enjoy your date!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter