• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Angelica & Nick's 2014 Disneyland Escape Wedding

gelandnick

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I am extremely excited to finally be starting a PJ for our upcoming Escape wedding at Disneyland! Our date is a little over a year out, so it is not set in stone.

Date: 8/11/14 (our 10 year dating anniversary)
Ceremony: Adventure Lawn Gazebo
Reception: TBD
Farewell Brunch: 8/12/14 TBD

Disneymoon: WDW 8/13-8/21

Reception at Home for all of our friends and family: TBD

As you can tell, I am still working out many of the details! Luckily, I have more than enough time to plan.:coffee:

Table of Contents:
How We Met
Disneyland To Us
Engagement and My Ring
Ongoing Dress Shopping
Bridesmaid Invitations
Engagement Photos
Wedding Colors and Some Inspiration
Our Wedding Planning Channel

Our story begins way back in the day during our freshman year of high school when I first noticed Nick in math class. He was a baseball player with blue hair and for some odd reason, my 14 year old self kind of liked him. But, I also kind of liked another guy, so my brilliant BFF (who is one of my bridesmaids) and I decided to make a "pros and cons" list between Nick and guy who doesn't matter (it was very silly). :rotfl2: Needless to say, I ended up dating guy who doesn't matter for a few weeks because Nick didn't notice me and I was too shy to say anything!

Fast forward to our junior year of high school, and my confidence had bloomed significantly. Nick and I had English class together and a mutual friend pushed us together. We began exchanging those classic high school notes (which I still have packed away safely). Our friendship grew for almost 8 months before we made it official the summer between junior and senior year...

I returned from my varsity dance team's summer camp one night and as the bus pulled into our high school parking lot, Nick was standing there with a dozen yellow roses (my favorite). It was such a surprise and very sweet. That night was 8/11/04.

On our one year anniversary, Nick and I had to run some errands. He was home from college for the weekend and I was slightly annoyed that we were having to do other stuff rather than just hang out. He asked to be dropped off at Home Depot to pick up some items while I dropped off a movie rental at Blockbuster (do those even exist anymore?). When I picked him back up, he had an In N Out bag in hand and told me he had walked over for a snack and bought me something. I told him I was not hungry, but he insisted. So, I opened the bag and sifted through napkins and ketchup packets to find a box with a ring in it! It was my promise ring, which I wore until the day we got engaged.

We decided that once we finished college and became financially stable, we would become engaged and get married!

(Sorry, this is the only close up of the ring I could find!)

In 2009, Nick and I took our first trip to Disneyland with his family. We had each been when we were younger, but not very often. Something about Disneyland really struck a chord with us, and we were lucky enough to return a few more times with Nick's family. Our experiences were just so amazing... from staying at the Disneyland Hotel to eating at Club 33!

I'm sure many of you understand that feeling you get with your SO when you enter the parks... it's literally magical. Early last year was when we were able to start saving enough to take trips on our own together. Now, every 3 months or so we get the Disneyland itch and we just can't help but scratch it! Silly us... we still haven't invested in annual passes because the price keeps going up! Some day soon I hope...

(Wedding stuff is coming up, I promise! Just wanted to give some background first.)

Congratulations and Welcome! I really enjoyed reading your story so far. You too make such a sweet couple!

Can't wait to read more about your plans! :goodvibes

I'm so happy to have new Disney Bride friends! I'm following you lovely ladies as well now! :wave2:

So, our engagement story is not one of epic proportions. Last May, I graduated from college and Nick was just a few months from graduating as well so we went ring shopping! We picked out the perfect ring and ended up purchasing it on 9/1/12... and that was that! Part of me is a little sad that I didn't have a magical proposal, but at least I still have my promise ring story to look back on.
[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/gelfarrar/media/ring_zpsc35c56fa.png.html][/URL]

My initial reaction to getting engaged was to immediately start looking at venues... boy did we look at a lot! I originally wanted to get married November 2013. But, then Nick began the hiring process for a law enforcement agency in October 2012. If he was hired, it meant that he would have to move to another part of our state for 6 months to attend academy. Therefore, our wedding was in limbo... we couldn't make any decisions because we did not know when the academy would take place. Aaaaaand, almost 9 months later, he is still in the midst of the hiring process (his last test is the day before we leave for our Disneyland trip in June). It's been frustrating and I am not typically a patient person, but I have done my absolute best to be supportive because this job is what he really wants. We came to the conclusion of having a Disney wedding just recently actually. It was right after we found out that his test completion would not happen before the July 2013 academy cut off... which is when I said, "Okay, we'll just do it on our 10 year anniversary!" It gives plenty of time for us to save for our big honeymoon anyway.

On another note, I noticed that many of you are "cat people", so I thought I'd share my 3 love bugs with you.

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/gelfarrar/media/c037b95c-4538-4f32-92e0-b71b7d6ecece_zps2196352c.jpg.html][/URL]

Nijel is the orange cat and Awesomo is the black and white (his name comes from the South Park episode which was derived from the ASIMO robot at DL!)

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/gelfarrar/media/64840860-7dfc-48d1-83d0-46ab5edb2b2e_zpsbdd3f0fe.jpg.html][/URL]

Oliver is the newest member of our family! He's 8.5 weeks old today and a little kitten nightmare (hopefully the stage will pass soon and I will be able to sleep again)!

21 days until our 3 day trip to Disneyland... we just booked our hotel today and I made a total flub up on Priceline. We ended up with the Holiday Inn in Buena Park which is farther than I would have liked. :( Apparently I'm not so good with Priceline and I should've stuck with Hotwire. I got a little too antsy with the bidding! I plan on calling Disney Weddings on Tuesday to see if we can take a look at the ceremony sites the first day we are there.

Even with no big proposal you have a great love story. I really feel for you with the kitten. Figaro use to cry at the bed side because he couldn't jump up. Now he sleeps next to my chest or on my feet.

Even with no big proposal you have a great love story. I really feel for you with the kitten. Figaro use to cry at the bed side because he couldn't jump up. Now he sleeps next to my chest or on my feet.

Aww that's sweet that Figaro does that now! Yeah, unfortunately Oliver has mastered the art of scaling his way up onto the bed with his claws. He is also under the impression that my hair and face are toys in the middle of the night! :confused3 Lol.

I am really indecisive. This makes dress shopping so incredibly difficult because I literally love every single dress (some more than others of course... but my favorites all end up in a tie)! I went dress shopping back in September and then again in October. In the end, I think I know what I want, but I will probably need to visit another dress shop, especially since the wedding is still so far out.

I almost feel like if I make a decision, I will change my mind in 6 months.

So, this dress was the favorite among my BM's and I loved the fit and look. I'm just a little worried that it will not be light enough for a hot summer day. The style is Mori Lee 1865. (Please ignore the faces I am making in these photos... they were candid. :lmao: And sorry... photos are huge in this post cuz I could't resize!)

[/IMG]

I also absolutely love the AA Sleeping Beauty dress. However, I'm not sure how I personally feel about wearing a Disney dress at my Disneyland wedding.

They are both similar in style, but different material. And when I initially went dress shopping all I wanted was lace because I am obsessed with lace in my everyday clothing...so now I wonder if I need to go try more lace dresses on? I thought that once I put the dress on I would know immediately!

Not sure what to do except try more on. I'm almost considering just going alone because I really felt the pressure to pick one with friends there (plus sales consultants can be so pushy)!

oh he did the same thing, so I had to lay with my hair on the side.

I love the dresses, you look amazing. I too am a huge fan of lace and think you would look lovely in one.

I love the first dress! It looks amazing on you. Your cats are adorable, especially Oliver. My cat still thinks my hair is a toy. I don't think you need an over the top proposal, the intention is more important than the moment, in my opinion. DF told me he was just going to take me somewhere alone to propose before he changed his mind.

oh he did the same thing, so I had to lay with my hair on the side.

I love the dresses, you look amazing. I too am a huge fan of lace and think you would look lovely in one.

Thank you! Yeah, I think I'll make a decision at the one year away mark... which gives me 2 months to think!

I love the first dress! It looks amazing on you. Your cats are adorable, especially Oliver. My cat still thinks my hair is a toy. I don't think you need an over the top proposal, the intention is more important than the moment, in my opinion. DF told me he was just going to take me somewhere alone to propose before he changed his mind.

Thank you!
Lol. How old is your cat? I hope Oliver grows out of it soon because none of my other cats used to do it!

The only thing that is difficult about the proposal is that everyone (friends mostly) expected me to tell them a grand story. Instead they acted disappointed or as though the engagement was invalid without one. Oh well.

Your cats are adorable! What a beautiful cat family! And speaking of beautiful, haha, your ring is gorgeous!

The first dress on you is really stunning! But you should definitely try on more dresses (I adore lace dresses!), you only get the one chance to wear a wedding dress so why choose quickly, especially if you have more time to shop around and get more ideas!

Your cats are adorable! What a beautiful cat family! And speaking of beautiful, haha, your ring is gorgeous!

The first dress on you is really stunning! But you should definitely try on more dresses (I adore lace dresses!), you only get the one chance to wear a wedding dress so why choose quickly, especially if you have more time to shop around and get more ideas!

Aw thank you! And, yes, I will definitely try some more on soon. I just wish I could find the perfect A-line, sweetheart top dress with just the right amount of lace. I'm sure there's one out there!

After we got engaged, I immediately texted all of my best friends. But, I absolutely refused to ask them to be my bridesmaids via telephone and wanted to do some cute snail mail invites.

I found these on Etsy and wrote personal messages for each of my lovely ladies!

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/gelfarrar/media/BMCards1_zps34424b2e.jpg.html][/URL]

I also printed "disclaimers" to go inside each invite...

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/gelfarrar/media/NotetoBM_zps8faacca9.jpg.html][/URL]

For my maid of honor, I created a special photo... it literally made us laugh for a long time because it's just so us.

[URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/gelfarrar/media/Ash_Me2_zps9be90f46.jpg.html][/URL]

I could only hand deliver one of them since everyone else lives out of state. Seeing her reaction was the best and I am glad that I at least got to see one! Thankfully, everyone else called me to say yes too! They are the best group of girls and have been so supportive along this crazy planning ride... with me changing my mind 3874569189275436 times about everything!

It's nice to see a couple with a similar story to my DH and I. I'm new here, so I've not quite figured out how to subscribe yet, but as sure as my friend's daughter wakes up (she has an account on here herself!) I'm sure she'll help me. Anyway, your ring is gorgeous. I look forward to reading the rest of your assuredly awesome wedding plans!

The cards are a super cute idea. I love how creative that was. My cat, unfortunately is 11 years old and she still does that lol. I think Oliver may just be a hair attacker :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter