And we're back...quick highs and lows.

joolz1910

<font color=green>I would have gone down to recept
This was our second 'once-in-a-lifetime-trip.'

The Lows

Really struggling to pin down 'lows' as the whole trip was fantastic. However, I never pass by an opportunity to moan, so here they are:

The Weather
Wow, soooooooo hot. We went in October for our first trip so we weren't really prepared for the humidity. It slowed us right down and nearly finished off my youngest who, it transpires, hates the heat (see low #3). The downpours didn't really bother me as, being British, warm rain seemed like a bit of a bonus.

Other People

The vast majority of 'other people' were nice, happy and (at least on the surface) normal. We came across crazy New-Jersey-redt.shirt-man (I will save him for the full trip report), people who allocated whole seats for their bags on packed buses and cast members pulling faces behind people's backs.

My Kids
Renamed 'the-tag-team-of-misery' ;) They seemed to take it in turns to moan. Yet not once, NOT ONCE, did I use the 'ungrateful' word against them. Instead, I turned to Disney wine (Once upon a Vine) and sang Disney songs inside my head to drown them out. DD(7) hates the heat, dark rides, scary rides, steep rides and walking. So that was fun. DD (15) hates posing for photos, (so glad I had Memory Maker) the amount of times I visit restrooms (I have a rating system if anyone is interested?) and will only eat fries and Cesar salad, minus dressing and parmesan (Dining Plan was soooooo worth it). DD(11) hates the other two.

But they still said it was the best holiday and didn't want to come home.

So now to my highs. There are so many but I will try to condense them.

The Highs

Universal Studios
I loved this place! I am a Harry Potter geek so this was right up my Diagon Alley. Went to Margaritaville and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The Hard Rock Hotel was great and the Express Passes were a huge bonus. I was also very pleased with the child-swap system in the parks.

Old Key West
Still love the laid back atmosphere of this place. Had a great room in a perfect location. Buses were regular. Happy.

The Food
We had the Dining Plan which we love as it allows us to eat in places which we could otherwise not afford. I was really pleased to see a bigger range of veggie food on offer and managed to eat only one veggie burger and one pizza for the entire 12 days - result!

Memories
For me, this is what this trip was all about. I love the special moments (between the moaning/whining) and sharing the Disney magic together. We laughed a lot.

Ha had to lol at the tag-team of misery! I actually call my boys that! They really have a nack at taking It in turns to Moan!!
The oldest hates the younger twin, they get on rarely! The middle twin can't get on with both his brothers at the same time, and non of them manage to play nice together, there 10-10-13!
Hence why we did an adult trip in May!

Really looking forward to next yr though as they seem to have improved the last few months, and so I'm hoping that due to all of them being tall enough for everything, the tantrums will be fewer, ( mine all love every ride, but one of my " identical" twins is smaller!!!!) we say it's because he eats no fruit or veg, so he proceds to make all of us suffer when he can't do the universal rides the other two can.

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you enjoyed Universal. My DD starts secondary in 2017 and wont have a 2 week October term (plus no more authorised term time hols - big perk of her private school!) I am dreading having to go August or Xmas or Easter.

I only have 1 and her moaning can be enough for me. I didn't do a trip report in 2013 but if I had it was going to be called the Just stop moaning tour. DD would have been 7 almost 8 and I seemed to say it constantly - I resorted to saying it in a jokey way stop mooaaaning! My other catch phrase was humour me - when I wanted a photo of her and she didn't or to go on something like Dumbo and she didn't.

Wow, it sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I had to laugh at the description of your children too, it could so easily have described my girls too.

Lol, I was talking to another Mum on the Disney bus and we both said that we were so frustrated by our complaining kids. My DD pointed out that nobody looked happy when you looked around - certainly not like the promotional advertising. I had to agree but liked to think that inside they were singing Disney songs and loving the whole experience.

We will never be a 'poster' family for Disney. In all of the photos, at least one of us looks either miserable or deranged.

I'm so glad you had such a great time and laughed a lot. We will need to get together in order for you to tell me all, and especially show me the pictures, even if some seem sad or are deranged.

Ha ha - sounds great! Loving some of your descriptions - and your DD is right, if you look around no one is 'poster' WDW, but then if we all went around with grins on our faces like those posters we'd probably be locked up for being deranged.

It was hot wasn't it - but you know what, within a few days we were used to it and managed fine (although DD1 did have one nasty episode in Magic Kingdom one day where she nearly fainted with heat exhaustion!). I have to say, I was dreading my kids whining in the heat and complaining about the walking but honestly, they never did - at least not much at all. In fact, DH and I commented on how great our DD2 (7) did - I didn't take a pushchair (couldn't decide beforehand) and she managed all the walking - our tops was 12.5 miles one day - yikes!

We loved Universal too as you probably read. The Wizarding World stuff is just out of this world and we enjoyed lots of the other 4D rides too - so clever. I couldn't do a trip now without doing US. I also loved RPR as a hotel.

Glad you enjoyed OKW again - it wasn't for us, but wasn't bad iyswim. It just didn't feel 'right' to us - the villa did give us lots of space though. Where did you end up being put - I know you wanted Turtle Pond area?

We honestly didn't come across many miserable/rude people other than in OKW (CMs - oh dear!). Have to say though, those ladies at Goods to Go deserve medals - they were so accommodating with meals and swaps etc and always were very polite and friendly. Without exception, all the CMs we met were lovely and friendly. The Americans are just so nice and nothing is a problem to them which is refreshing.

We loved the DDP too - not sure we would do it again as I think we'd only do 2-4 TS meals - I was bowled over by the amount of decent QS places to eat at and the portion sizes, so I think I'd rather stay at a deluxe on a % room discount and do without free dining. But, it's all hypothetical as right now, it's way down the list again for a repeat visit (let's face it, our holiday fund is depleted!), and DH isn't keen really - want to try other places.

Were your flights OK and the drive home? Ours were great - would recommend the Dreamliner.

Anyway, glad you had a great time. So, the big question - will there be a return? :rolleyes1

:rotfl2:
Sounds like you had lots of fun. I often think Disney is wasted on children - we just pretend it's for them as an excuse to keep going! Keep singing those Disney songs!:tinker:

It sounds like you had an excellent trip. I'm really looking forward to your trip report! We've only been in October but next year we'll be going at the very end of August/the start of September, so it'll be interesting to see how this trip compares with your last due to the weather.

It sounds like you had an excellent trip. I'm really looking forward to your trip report! We've only been in October but next year we'll be going at the very end of August/the start of September, so it'll be interesting to see how this trip compares with your last due to the weather.

To be honest, I think I would have coped with the weather if it hadn't bothered DD (7) so much. It slowed us down a lot and we spent most of our snack credits on drinks as we kept forgetting to take frozen water to the parks. It was lovely to go to the water parks when it was hot but I found it impossible to sunbathe as it was just too hot.

My daughter's naughtiness has always been heightened when holidaying in WDW. I put it down to the tiredness and being overwhelmed.

Our next visit will be my sons first time, in his terrible twos! Both of them will prob be battling it out to be brat of the hol ;). Only joking...I do love them really!

And of course holidaying in WDW is all for the kids:scratchin. That's what I tell my husband anyway :laughing:.

I totally understand how that feels, DD was 2 on her first trip to WDW, by the time we got to the tram from the car she was soaked through with sweat :(. I couldn't enjoy it as much cause I was worrying about her all the time.

Whilst my two are young we won't be holidaying in September in a hurry.

Glad we only have 1 and never had an issue with moaning :goodvibes
My Brother and I used to fight like cat & dog growing up, we didn't really get on with each other until we left home, didn't want that for Matt.

This was about our 40th trip to the US, heat has never really been an issue but this time we struggled, 1st day of the cruise someone passed out at the side of Matt, never heard anything about it but I suspect the heat was too much for her.

If you really want to spend lots of time in Disney & eat majority of your meals in there then the free DDP deal might still work but its way too expensive for us now.

Sounds like you had another great trip. Enjoy planning your 3rd trip of a lifetime :)

Glad we only have 1 and never had an issue with moaning :goodvibes
My Brother and I used to fight like cat & dog growing up, we didn't really get on with each other until we left home, didn't want that for Matt.

This was about our 40th trip to the US, heat has never really been an issue but this time we struggled, 1st day of the cruise someone passed out at the side of Matt, never heard anything about it but I suspect the heat was too much for her.

If you really want to spend lots of time in Disney & eat majority of your meals in there then the free DDP deal might still work but its way too expensive for us now.

Sounds like you had another great trip. Enjoy planning your 3rd trip of a lifetime :)

I'm already checking out Universal prices lol, after saying that we probably wouldn't go back!
The DDP works well for us as a family of 5 as we like to remain firmly inside the Disney bubble :) The heat was oppressive at times, I was glad when it became a bit overcast.

The weather is what's worrying me. Would you choose to go again in August? We moved to Malta at the beginning of the year, so I've experienced heat and humidity. I can't imagine doing Disney in the same heat so it'll be good to see what you managed to do compared to last time. Here the kids only have a really long summer holiday, beginning of July to the end of September, then nothing else really throughout the year so that's the only time we can go.

I loved your last trip report, so I'm really looking forward to the one from this trip!

The weather is what's worrying me. Would you choose to go again in August? We moved to Malta at the beginning of the year, so I've experienced heat and humidity. I can't imagine doing Disney in the same heat so it'll be good to see what you managed to do compared to last time. Here the kids only have a really long summer holiday, beginning of July to the end of September, then nothing else really throughout the year so that's the only time we can go.

I loved your last trip report, so I'm really looking forward to the one from this trip!

Thanks xx

I would prefer not to go in August, although I am a teacher so there isn't much choice. I think I could cope without the kids. My youngest suffered the most but was better when we bought a fan and even hired a stroller for a couple of days! With hindsight, I would do more in the evening/mornings and chill out in the afternoon (either in the pool or room). Our options were limited as youngest DD was asleep by 9pm almost every night. The evenings were lovely and we did MK one night until midnight (me and eldest two) which was fantastic.

I am another that is so glad they only have one child - couldn't cope with the fighting!

Glad your second trip lived up to the first :thumbsup2

We never been bothered with heat and have been in summer a lot - you really do need to get out of the heat in the afternoon for a couple of hours. Our DD is 7 and happily does mornings and late nights we just make sure she gets a nap in the afternoon or at least a good rest.:goodvibes

My children fight, but it's more comical because of the age difference, they're four and fifteen.

I'm planning on doing more evenings because last year we preferred being out then. My daughter slept in her pushchair so it was perfect, next year she'll be five, almost six, so we might just be able to get away with that again.

We've just got back from a fab 3 week trip to HRH and OKW. I had to laugh as our kids were def a tag team of moaning and whinging!! At 9 and 11 they do love each other but certainly made it hard work at times :rotfl:. They did cope brilliantly with the heat, walking and long days and only complained about each other (a lot!!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter