...And Then Scotty Happened. A Hawaiian Adventure (CHAPTER 32 Added 5/23--THE END)

It’s mid-morning, we’ve only had a small pastry for breakfast, my wife is pregnant, and the heat is rising with the sun. Obviously it’s time to start some serious hiking. Our first stop was near the Kilauea Iki crater, which erupted in 1959. There’s actually a hike that takes you on a walk across the crater floor, but it’s a total of 4 miles and we didn’t feel we had the time to do that one. Here’s the view from up above:

IMG_2001.jpg

I would have loved to do that but honestly unless you are staying up there...or got up at the crack of dawn (or prior) we just didn't have enough time in our day. Of course that could be that our detours to the black sand beach and the southernmost point may have removed it as an option as well but...sigh, it sure looked cool.

For some reason we couldn’t decipher, the parking lot at the end of the road is about a mile away from the actual spot where the road is cut off. I have no idea why they make you stop so far short. It’s a lot hotter down on the edge of the coast than it is up on the mountainside, and the road on that mile-long stretch seemed perfectly good to me. In any case, we got out and hoofed it up the road in the bright sun. Finally, the reward for our efforts felt just like our average Christmas morning: lots of lumps of black rocks.

IMG_2029.jpg

:thumbsup2

Julie didn’t like the vertiginous feeling she got leaning over the edge, so she made me take the pictures. I took one looking straight down just so she could see what she was missing.

IMG_2056.jpg

And here’s the sheer drop at ocean’s edge:

IMG_2057.jpg

Apparently you didn't read the signs warning of the lava shelf breaking if you got too close to the edge. That freaked me out, I was NOT going near that edge!

At the end of the trail was a boardwalk loop that took us around ancient petroglyphs. Geologists have dated these stone markings to sometime between 1200 – 1450 AD.

IMG_2059.jpg

Not much is known about the people that left these petroglyphs here, but it is thought that many of the markings here charted different families, their offspring, and documented their travels around the island.

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

We didn’t stay long, mostly because the boardwalk loop itself was short and we were all very hot and tired at that point (go figure!). But I think all of these side trips were worthy of the time we took to see them.

We thought the lava flow and view were more interesting than the markings. LOL! Then again it may have been that we saw something similar earlier in the trip...that was more in the shade, closer to food, snorkeling and a beach. :rotfl:

I will admit that part of the deciding factor was that the gift shop sold Maui Onion Chips.

No shame in that!

I also used the opportunity to send Julie to buy snacks while I snuck over to the other shop to buy a very classy Christmas gift or two for her.

Hey big spender!

You can see the well-worn path on the crater below. This was once a lake of lava, and there were several spots along the trail where we could see steam rising from the crater floor. I’m sure this would give you pause as you walked across—it’s probably simultaneously terrifying and thrilling. For a sense of scale, you can see a couple of hikers down on the trail in the bottom right side of this picture.

Both this trail and the one on Haleakala would be cool to do in the future....maybe when we take Baby to Hawaii?

Take note that people will come from thousands of miles away to take pictures of this field of rocks. Yet whenever I suggest scorching the yard so I don’t have to worry about maintaining the lawn anymore, I get the crazy looks. Go figure.

:sad2:

Julie didn’t like the vertiginous feeling she got leaning over the edge, so she made me take the pictures. I took one looking straight down just so she could see what she was missing.

Did not like it one bit! No thank you!!!

This one was a 0.7-mile (one-way) trail over uneven ground, but at least there was no shade from the hot sun.

Yay!!

Not much is known about the people that left these petroglyphs here, but it is thought that many of the markings here charted different families, their offspring, and documented their travels around the island.

IMG_2061.jpg

According to someone who was walking the trail with us, all the little circles were where they would place (bury) a baby's umbilical cord after birth. I'm thinking we're going to go with the modern hospital disposal after delivery.....

We ended up heading for the Volcano House, which is a lodge just across the street from the National Park visitor center. Inside was a sit-down restaurant, as well as two separate gift shops which sold snacks and cold drinks.

Sit down restaurant at Volcano House = $$$$$$$$ :scared1:

Julie and I huddled together and tried to figure out the plan for the day. We still had another site to see that involved a bit of a drive, and then more plans for the evening. So we decided to load up on snacks and then plan on an early dinner.

I will admit that part of the deciding factor was that the gift shop sold Maui Onion Chips.

Maui Onion Chips, Gummy sharks and dried pineapple. Feel free to send our Parents of the Year trophy before the new baby comes.

I also used the opportunity to send Julie to buy snacks while I snuck over to the other shop to buy a very classy Christmas gift or two for her.

I loved everything that I received from the Volcano House Gift Shop!

Julie got a big kick out of this sign. We saw several of them all around the island, and couldn’t figure out why anyone would want to run towards a tsunami.

IMG_2026.jpg

Does this sign mean you are supposed to run to this area in case of a tsunami or run away from it? :confused3 I'm confused.

My question is - Was there ever a road here that needed to be closed? :rotfl:

What was the temperature on those rocks? I give your family props for smiling while burning up on top of lava rocks.

Ah, page 54 seems like a good time to join on a TR. :rotfl: Actually, read the whole thing so far over the last couple of weeks, since we are going to Aulani next November. Your report has been extremely helpful and all the details (like which exits to take, etc.) are great!

Although I'm not sure if we'll pack PB&Js, we can relate to your travel style. This trip is only happening for us because I happened to be checking airfares during Delta's price glitch last month and we ended up with round-trip tickets to Honolulu (from MN) for $70/each. So, no choice, we had to go. ::yes:: We also are going the DVC rental route and secured a standard studio for our trip at less than half the regular rate. :thumbsup2 So, we're trying to strike a balance between low expenses and great experiences. We'll definitely be doing a Target run to stock the kitchenette, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the great and helpful report. Not to mention the fun writing style that has me continuing to read along eagerly, even though we are not island-hopping.

Congratulations in advance to your family on the soon-to-be new addition! :goodvibes

Way cool update. (Well now it is, since it's not lava anymore. :rolleyes:)

IMG_2063.jpg

I think you're right, the markings documented their travels. Those two big ones in the middle are obviously carrying luggage. (And I hope they brought some snacks. :scared:)

trail takes you through an area that was affected by that 1959 eruption of Kilauea Iki. It starts in a lush rain forest much like the one that covered the area in 1959.

And then you turn the corner and get this
Wow... Those volcanoes sure do have a knack for complete destruction. :scared1:

Take note that people will come from thousands of miles away to take pictures of this field of rocks. Yet whenever I suggest scorching the yard so I don’t have to worry about maintaining the lawn anymore, I get the crazy looks. Go figure.
Makes no sense at all. Scorch it, paint it green, enjoy the summer. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Julie got a big kick out of this sign. We saw several of them all around the island, and couldn’t figure out why anyone would want to run towards a tsunami.
Makes perfect sense to me. There are a lot of surfers in Hawaii. I mean if you want to become a surfing legend, where else will you ever find a bigger wave?

For some reason we couldn’t decipher, the parking lot at the end of the road is about a mile away from the actual spot where the road is cut off.
Maybe because the next potential lava flow will likely be somewhere in that mile of road and it is cheaper to make people walk a mile now, rather than build a parking lot to use for a few years and then build another one. I mean it seems like something that one might find in civil engineering 101... :rolleyes1

According to the map we were given at the visitor center, this particular lava flow occurred in 2003. This means that in the picture below, Julie, Sarah and I are all sitting on ground that is younger than we are.
:thumbsup2 Cool.

I had planned on taking a different route away from the coast, so I went ahead to scout the road and…uh-oh.
I don't see the problem. You're in a rental car, right?

Awesome views. :thumbsup2

Julie and I huddled together and tried to figure out the plan for the day. We still had another site to see that involved a bit of a drive, and then more plans for the evening. So we decided to load up on snacks and then plan on an early dinner.
Junk food!!!!!!! :woohoo: :yay:

Any PB&J? :rolleyes1

THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!

“See that Bears game last week?”

It’s mid-morning, we’ve only had a small pastry for breakfast, my wife is pregnant, and the heat is rising with the sun.

“Hit it.”

Obviously it’s time to start some serious hiking.

ththWhipping_Emoticon.gif

it’s probably simultaneously terrifying and thrilling.

I pretty sure this is the general definition of parenthood

We were hiking the 0.5-mile Devastation Trail instead.

Nicely named…

::yes::
I’ve gotten that “look” on more than one occasion.
It prevents me from action on the idea, but oddly not from suggesting it from time to time.

Someone should draw a surfboard tucked under the stick figure’s arm.
Than it might make more sense.

We wound down the side of the mountain for several miles until we finally reached the end of the road. Chain of Craters Road used to continue all the way to the town of Kalapana, but was cut off by a lava flow in 1969. The road was finally re-opened in 1979, but then another lava flow cut it off in 1986, and the powers that be decided they would be fighting a losing battle to continually try and rebuild it. This proved to be wise thinking as several more lava flows have added to the wall that blocks traffic since then.

Wise thinking from a group of highway enginee…

Ya’ know, I could continue along on that train of thought, but you’ve heard it all before
:lmao:

For some reason we couldn’t decipher, the parking lot at the end of the road is about a mile away from the actual spot where the road is cut off. I have no idea why they make you stop so far short.

Waiting for additional flows to shorten the distance?
Or they could be in cahoots with the health and fitness industrial complex.

Finally, the reward for our efforts felt just like our average Christmas morning: lots of lumps of black rocks.

Y’all too?
I thought that was just the way my Christmas always turned out.

According to the map we were given at the visitor center, this particular lava flow occurred in 2003. This means that in the picture below, Julie, Sarah and I are all sitting on ground that is younger than we are.

Thus making you older then dirt (on the Big Island at least)…
Well older then rock actually, but it will become dirt eventually.

I knew I should have taken that left turn in Albuquerque.

‘What a maroon.”

Oh, well. I guess that means we’re walking back. But hey, at least we have no snacks in the car!

Still have that going for you…
Which isn’t nice.

Julie didn’t like the vertiginous feeling she got leaning over the edge, so she made me take the pictures.

You haven’t taken out any large life insurance policies recently have you?
Not that She’d be up to anything devious mind you, but I’m just sayin’…

We were still on the morning side of lunch time, so you’re probably thinking I did the sane, humane thing here and drove all the way back looking for snacks and drinks.

The thought never entered my mind.

Well, I’m sure being sane and humane works out just fine for most people, but we’re not most people.

Thus my reasoning.
I’ve read your other TRs, so why would I consider you to be sane in the first place?

This one was a 0.7-mile (one-way) trail over uneven ground, but at least there was no shade from the hot sun.

Bonus!

We ended up heading for the Volcano House, which is a lodge just across the street from the National Park visitor center. Inside was a sit-down restaurant, as well as two separate gift shops which sold snacks and cold drinks.

Given the potential expense associated with a sit-down restaurant…
I foresee mass quantities of snacks in your immediate future.

That would certainly ice the deal for me.

What can we say, you’re a class act.

Either that or you’re a piece of work…
It’s one of the two I’m sure.

Quite the scenery there! Beautiful in a stark-hot-no-shade-lack-of-real-food sort of way.

I hope you redeem yourself with a better option for that early dinner! And I'm sure the classy Christmas gift helped Julie forget all about a pastry for breakfast and chips for lunch scenario. Nice pick there! ::yes::

I love the tiki mugs. I bought a set of those tiki mugs for my brother for his birthday last year. :)

Jill in CO

I actually just got one mug for Julie, but it worked. You can't go to Hawaii and not bring back a tacky tiki mug, right?

Funny movie!:thumbsup2

One of my favorites!

That part of the volcanoes looks more familiar- the barren nothing with a path up the middle. If you put two geese in your pic, it would be like you were on our honeymoon. Except with 3 kids and a pregnant wife. And no snacks. And a much longer hike back to the car. Yup! :rotfl:

Yup, otherwise exactly the same. Makes sense! :rotfl2:

I would have loved to do that but honestly unless you are staying up there...or got up at the crack of dawn (or prior) we just didn't have enough time in our day. Of course that could be that our detours to the black sand beach and the southernmost point may have removed it as an option as well but...sigh, it sure looked cool.

Yeah, we just need more time to fit all this stuff in. That would be a really cool hike, though.

Apparently you didn't read the signs warning of the lava shelf breaking if you got too close to the edge. That freaked me out, I was NOT going near that edge!

Well, they did have a really low rock wall. So there's that. :rolleyes1

We thought the lava flow and view were more interesting than the markings. LOL! Then again it may have been that we saw something similar earlier in the trip...that was more in the shade, closer to food, snorkeling and a beach. :rotfl:

No, I'd agree--volcanoes are more interesting than stick figures. Even really old stick figures. But Julie did want to see them, and we aim to please. :thumbsup2

No shame in that!

I still wish they sold them here.

Hey big spender!

We'd already spent our souvenir budget in the Aulani gift shop!

Great volcano updates! I was actually there in 1986 when Kilauea began erupting and I told them to make sure it continued until some of my friends had a chance to see it also, although at the time I was Oblivious to the fact that the Captain himself would make it in time...........or that he even existed for that matter! So you can thank me for that. :rolleyes1

I remember making that drive from Kona and it really struck me the stark contrast of driving along a scenic highway and then suddenly seeing the barren areas from previous lava flows, all marked with a sign showing the year they occurred. Amazing and awesome the power of nature! :scared:

I had planned on taking a different route away from the coast, so I went ahead to scout the road and…uh-oh.

IMG_2047.jpg

Okay, I caught you trying to sneak in a picture of you on a typical day at work for the DOT, just to see if we were really paying attention!!! :sad2:

As for the baby, I'm going with a girl, 7 pounds and 15 ounces (although they will just round it up to an even 8 pounds for you) and she will be born 1/27.

Wishing a smooth delivery for Julie and a very healthy and happy new little one for you all to enjoy! Can't wait to see the pictures. :goodvibes

Both this trail and the one on Haleakala would be cool to do in the future....maybe when we take Baby to Hawaii?

You mean in 27 years? It's a date.

Did not like it one bit! No thank you!!!

You liked the pictures though, right?

According to someone who was walking the trail with us, all the little circles were where they would place (bury) a baby's umbilical cord after birth. I'm thinking we're going to go with the modern hospital disposal after delivery.....

I think I need to call BS on that one. It's not real easy to dig up these rocks.

Sit down restaurant at Volcano House = $$$$$$$$ :scared1:

That's pretty much every sit-down place in Hawaii.

Maui Onion Chips, Gummy sharks and dried pineapple. Feel free to send our Parents of the Year trophy before the new baby comes.

It's all part of a balanced meal.

I loved everything that I received from the Volcano House Gift Shop!

Well, that's a relief!

Does this sign mean you are supposed to run to this area in case of a tsunami or run away from it? :confused3 I'm confused.

That's the question, isn't it? Maybe it's a reverse-psychology thing. Everyone else is running for high ground, but you can outsmart them!:thumbsup2

My question is - Was there ever a road here that needed to be closed? :rotfl:

Um...maybe? I think there might be a No Parking sign around there too.:lmao:

What was the temperature on those rocks? I give your family props for smiling while burning up on top of lava rocks.

I don't remember it being too bad. Maybe I was just happy to sit down after the hike to get there.

Its mid-morning, weve only had a small pastry for breakfast, my wife is pregnant, and the heat is rising with the sun. Obviously its time to start some serious hiking.
Did you bring water?

feel we had the time to do that one. Heres the view from up above:

Cool!

We were hiking the 0.5-mile Devastation Trail instead.
Sounds like an Eagles documentary.

And then you turn the corner and get this:

IMG_2014.jpg
Barry forgot to clean up his mess again.

Julie got a big kick out of this sign. We saw several of them all around the island, and couldnt figure out why anyone would want to run towards a tsunami.

IMG_2026.jpg
Looks like he's dancing.

I had planned on taking a different route away from the coast, so I went ahead to scout the road and&uh-oh.

IMG_2047.jpg
:lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao:

Whew& you had me thinking there would of been shade.

At the end of the trail was a boardwalk loop that took us around ancient petroglyphs. Geologists have dated these stone markings to sometime between 1200  1450 AD.

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg
Who ever made those markings should be put in jain for defacing a National Park.

Naturally.

Ah, page 54 seems like a good time to join on a TR. :rotfl: Actually, read the whole thing so far over the last couple of weeks, since we are going to Aulani next November. Your report has been extremely helpful and all the details (like which exits to take, etc.) are great!

It's never a bad time to join in the fun! :welcome:

Although I'm not sure if we'll pack PB&Js, we can relate to your travel style. This trip is only happening for us because I happened to be checking airfares during Delta's price glitch last month and we ended up with round-trip tickets to Honolulu (from MN) for $70/each. So, no choice, we had to go. ::yes:: We also are going the DVC rental route and secured a standard studio for our trip at less than half the regular rate. :thumbsup2 So, we're trying to strike a balance between low expenses and great experiences. We'll definitely be doing a Target run to stock the kitchenette, etc.

$70???? My goodness, you had no choice! You can't pass up a deal like that.

Anyway, thanks for the great and helpful report. Not to mention the fun writing style that has me continuing to read along eagerly, even though we are not island-hopping.

I'm glad you're enjoying it and I hope you'll stick around!

Congratulations in advance to your family on the soon-to-be new addition! :goodvibes

Thank you! Won't be long now!

Way cool update. (Well now it is, since it's not lava anymore. :rolleyes:)

I think Rob has a "rim shot" smiley that would work well here.

I think you're right, the markings documented their travels. Those two big ones in the middle are obviously carrying luggage. (And I hope they brought some snacks. :scared:)

Of course they did. Who would be that idiotic, not to bring snacks?:confused3

Wow... Those volcanoes sure do have a knack for complete destruction. :scared1:

They're very inconsiderate that way.

Makes no sense at all. Scorch it, paint it green, enjoy the summer. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Exactly! I never water it anyway, so it would probably look better in the long run.:confused3

Makes perfect sense to me. There are a lot of surfers in Hawaii. I mean if you want to become a surfing legend, where else will you ever find a bigger wave?

"Yo! Johnny! I'll see you in the next life!"

"If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love."

I just spent way too much time looking up Point Break quotes.

Maybe because the next potential lava flow will likely be somewhere in that mile of road and it is cheaper to make people walk a mile now, rather than build a parking lot to use for a few years and then build another one. I mean it seems like something that one might find in civil engineering 101... :rolleyes1

Except the next lava flow occurred further away...:confused3

I don't see the problem. You're in a rental car, right?

Well, I'd hate to do something like break the rental agreement.:rolleyes1

Awesome views. :thumbsup2

Junk food!!!!!!! :woohoo: :yay:

Any PB&J? :rolleyes1

Not even PB&J. We're just getting worse as the trip goes on. Soon we'll be foraging for berries and nuts.

“See that Bears game last week?”

Yeah, he!! of a game.

“Hit it.”

But we're not going to Chicago.

I pretty sure this is the general definition of parenthood

It's as good as any!

Nicely named…

It could also be a name for parenthood.

I’ve gotten that “look” on more than one occasion.
It prevents me from action on the idea, but oddly not from suggesting it from time to time.

You just can't keep a good idea to yourself!

Someone should draw a surfboard tucked under the stick figure’s arm.
Than it might make more sense.

Seems to be the prevailing train of thought here.

Wise thinking from a group of highway enginee…

Ya’ know, I could continue along on that train of thought, but you’ve heard it all before
:lmao:

:sad2: We can never, ever win.

Waiting for additional flows to shorten the distance?
Or they could be in cahoots with the health and fitness industrial complex.

Maybe they're waiting for Lo'ihi to surface so they can put the parking lot there.

Y’all too?
I thought that was just the way my Christmas always turned out.

And I thought Santa just wanted us to stay warm over the winter.

Thus making you older then dirt (on the Big Island at least)…
Well older then rock actually, but it will become dirt eventually.

:thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl:

‘What a maroon.”

+1:thumbsup2

Still have that going for you…
Which isn’t nice.

Tell me about it.

You haven’t taken out any large life insurance policies recently have you?
Not that She’d be up to anything devious mind you, but I’m just sayin’…

We're safe there. I can't afford to keep up the yearly payments on the policy.

The thought never entered my mind.

:rolleyes1

Thus my reasoning.
I’ve read your other TRs, so why would I consider you to be sane in the first place?

That is a very good question.

Um...yeah...

Given the potential expense associated with a sit-down restaurant…
I foresee mass quantities of snacks in your immediate future.

It's like you read ahead in the chapter!

That would certainly ice the deal for me.

Maui Onion Chips pretty much ends all debate on the issue.

What can we say, you’re a class act.

Either that or you’re a piece of work…
It’s one of the two I’m sure.

Well, let me know when you decide. :rolleyes1

Quite the scenery there! Beautiful in a stark-hot-no-shade-lack-of-real-food sort of way.

Gee, everybody's a critic! But yes, the scenery was nice.

I hope you redeem yourself with a better option for that early dinner! And I'm sure the classy Christmas gift helped Julie forget all about a pastry for breakfast and chips for lunch scenario. Nice pick there! ::yes::

I'm sure nobody here could possibly guess the kind of place where we would be headed for dinner.:rolleyes1

Great volcano updates! I was actually there in 1986 when Kilauea began erupting and I told them to make sure it continued until some of my friends had a chance to see it also, although at the time I was Oblivious to the fact that the Captain himself would make it in time...........or that he even existed for that matter! So you can thank me for that. :rolleyes1

Wow, that's quite a long-term effort! Well, we definitely appreciate all that hard work.

By the way, good to hear from you Marv! Hope life isn't too crazy for you.

I remember making that drive from Kona and it really struck me the stark contrast of driving along a scenic highway and then suddenly seeing the barren areas from previous lava flows, all marked with a sign showing the year they occurred. Amazing and awesome the power of nature! :scared:

Yeah, it sure is! All sorts of interesting features in a (relatively) small place.

Okay, I caught you trying to sneak in a picture of you on a typical day at work for the DOT, just to see if we were really paying attention!!! :sad2:

If I had a nickel for every lava flow we had to deal with in Delaware...

As for the baby, I'm going with a girl, 7 pounds and 15 ounces (although they will just round it up to an even 8 pounds for you) and she will be born 1/27.

1/27 could indeed be the date, if the hospital allows Julie to be induced on Monday...

Wishing a smooth delivery for Julie and a very healthy and happy new little one for you all to enjoy! Can't wait to see the pictures. :goodvibes

Thank you!!!:goodvibes

Did you bring water?

Water? Who needs water? Water is for cowards! Water makes you weak! Water is for washing blood off that uniform, and you don't get no blood on my uniform. Boy, you must be outside your mind!

Sounds like an Eagles documentary.

:headache:

Hey, I heard Eli Manning tried to send you a text message the other day, but it got intercepted.

Barry forgot to clean up his mess again.

He does that a lot, huh?

Looks like he's dancing.

Is it an anti-rain dance?

Whew& you had me thinking there would of been shade.

I know, right? That would have made for a difficult hike.

Who ever made those markings should be put in jain for defacing a National Park.

Exactly! The nerve of some people. :rotfl2:

Mark, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry. I could have sworn I responded to this and I don't see it (and I lost internet service and couldn't post from my phone because it's a pain in the you know what).

A wonderful update, fun pictures, and yet another beautiful family picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter