...And Then Scotty Happened. A Hawaiian Adventure (CHAPTER 32 Added 5/23--THE END)

Our last full day on Maui was also a very special one for Julie and me: it was our 15th anniversary. Yes, somehow this woman had spent 15 years of her life under the same roof with me and hadn’t called it quits or gone insane yet. I can’t help but think that this has only happened with the help of some powerful medications, but whatever the reason, I ain’t gonna mess with it.
It is amazing the things that medication can accomplish. :rolleyes1

As these things typically turn out, I did not get the promotion, losing out to someone who had more experience in the job area of expertise.
Where's Cousin Eddie when you need him?

Basically, in order to get a new position, I need diverse experience. And in order to get diverse experience, I need a new position. You might understand why this is frustrating.
:eek: :faint:

In any case, I hung up and then took my family to a beach in Maui. Which really made me think—who am I to complain? Sure, it hurts to be shot down again and again, but I’m pretty sure there’s a law that says you can’t complain about anything if you’re sitting on a Maui beach. At the very least, it’s a good place to forget your troubles.
At least you have the right attitude about it. Sure it sucks to miss out on a promotion, but there's no need to let it ruin a beautiful day in Maui. At least you still have your job and you've got your family and a beautiful beach. :thumbsup2

And lest you think we would leave our belongings unguarded on the beach, we made sure they were in good hands
And the Costco there is still in the process of replenishing the Sun Chips supply. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Julie has similar tastes to mine, so she wasn’t interested in the ultra-expensive froo-froo places, either. Plus, we both hate seafood.
And you wonder why it has lasted for 15 years... :rolleyes1

It was my Nemesis who came to the rescue.
:eek: :scared1: You trusted him for restaurant advice??? After your experience in Chicago??? :faint:

But it wasn’t a big deal. I was alone with the most beautiful woman in the world. Life hasn’t always turned out the way we expected. We’ve dealt with the frustrations of my job, loss of family, major surgery, and surprise pregnancy. It’s those types of fires and pressures that can make or break a marriage, but I think they’ve only served to bring us closer together. I think every marriage settles into a routine, where you develop a familiarity and shorthand with each other as you learn that one person better than anyone else in the world. But every once in a while, we still surprise each other. I hope I never take this woman for granted. She’s a special person, and the perfect companion for me. Not only has she shared her life with me, but she gave up her career in order to give me our 3 (soon to be 4) children. And she’s been even better as a mom than she was as a teacher. What an amazing sacrifice, and what an amazing legacy! I love you, Julie.
Well said, Mark. And congratulations to you both on 15 (almost 15 1/2) years. :thumbsup2

Well.....I DID take those happy-pills for a while....but you can blame that on post-partum depression.... ;)
Use whatever excuse you need. We get it. :rotfl2::lmao:

The cheapskate in me approves this! :thumbsup2
See Mark, another reason she puts up with you. :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Lots and lots of pictures. Lots of pictures. (And I believe these are unedited...at least, I didn't edit them - not sure if Mark did.) I had the camera on a tripod and then set the self-timer to take 10 shots at a time. So I dialed in the setting I wanted with just Mark standing there and then arranged the frame so I could go next to him. Then I pushed the button and ran up there. And want to know the craziest thing? Even though the camera was taking a silhouetted picture of our backs, we still smiled like fools when we heard the shutter go off!
And I was going to ask Mark who the third wheel was with you on your romantic evening on the beach. :lmao:

Those are some great pictures. I like the effect of the 2 of you standing there.

Seem like there's always a picture I forget to post when I put up a chapter. This was from the menu at Joe's:

IMG_0315%255B1%255D.JPG
It is definitely a good thing this was an adults only dinner. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Well, minus the ill-timed phone call, this seems like it was just about a perfect day. Congratulations on 15 years!

Thanks Justin! :thumbsup2

South_Carolina.jpg

I warned you...

So is this an accurate representation? :confused3:rotfl:

Hmm....perhaps I could meet you AT Disney? Hmm....I like the sounds of that. Sounds like a plan to me!

As long as I'm there too...right?

Hello?

Dude. We've gone over this. We're not cool. We're nerds. Remember the Jim Gaffigan chapter? Yeah.

For a few years there, my daughter thought I was cool. It's over now, but those few years were pretty cool.

Hopefully Scotty will continue to entertain...

Who knew about the apple pies at McDonalds. We've been going to Hawaii for 17 years since we live so close and I didn't know that about McDonalds. I'll definitely stop there on our next trip. Keep up the good work on your trip report...

I got a tip from a friend on that one. Totally worth the trip!:thumbsup2

Oh, and :welcome: aboard!

I hope I got the right pictures, because I love this. So gorgeous. You really have so many wonderful pictures from this trip. Well done!

Thanks Mary Ellen! I will pass the compliments on to the photographer.

*sniff sniff* You have me all choked up. What a lovely tribute to Julie.

Yeah, I went heavy on the sap there. Sorry about that.

I love the silhouette pictures. They are lovely. How did you take these? Did you set up a tripod? I am doubtful that another random person on the beach just happened to take these.

We brought our tripod along for sunset pictures...as well as another dark shot we really wanted to capture, but I won't spoil that one yet.

I am really sorry about missing out on another promotion. It just makes me dislike your employer because they are do dumb to keep passing you over. However, I am hopeful that that new job posting turned into something. ::yes::

Thank you. But no luck so far. We've been blessed with enough, and I need to concentrate on being grateful for that. Like I said, if you go to Hawaii, you lose your right to complain about anything.

I almost forgot - dinner looked really yummy and it sounds like it was a perfect choice. How nice to dine out without the kids. That is always such a special treat!

Yes it is! It really was a great evening, and a great way to celebrate 15 years.

So is this an accurate representation? :confused3:rotfl:

Not really, but it was the same “artists” opinion.
(just following your lead there)

We wouldn’t actually attach a set of off-road “Mudders” to a Single House. We’d do far more “practical” things by making use of the hardware that already exists. Here…
This is a lot more accurate:

hqdefault.jpg

And here the video that little image came from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEDTUtT8tIE

Sorry about that call. Eventually they'll see their errors in their ways.

That's ok, it wasn't your fault.

...or was it? :confused3

I can almost see my house on this pic. (The red roofs are the complex where my folks have their place)

Cool! I imagine you're very familiar with this beach, then.

Nope, no fun here. :rotfl2:

We really torture those kids.

Pan seared ahi with a wasabi crusted topping?

Wow, how did you know?

Yup, that about sums it up.

It really only became a problem when I needed a nicer dinner than a burger joint.

Muhahahaha!!!

:mad:

Yet something else I'm a complete failure at. (right up there with pizza joint selection)

You said it, not me. :rolleyes1

Wait for it.....

He's falling into my trap.

I fall for steak as bait all the time.

I'm still impressed by the signed "Welcome to my Nightmare" tour poster as this was (is) still one of my favorite albums of all time. (I know, I'm a dork)

Yes. Yes, you are. But the memorabilia was pretty cool. :thumbsup2

But of course!

Wait, what? They didn't give you the leftover slop that I had pre-ordered for you. CURSES!

Although, I'm glad you liked Joe's as much as we do.

Thanks for taking it easy on us, if only for Julie's sake.:thumbsup2

Congrats on the first 15 years. Sounds like you guys are set to keep this thing going for quite some time.

Yeah, because we keep cranking out babies!:rotfl:

I do recall mentioning to Mark that since this was also Julie's anniversary that I wouldn't go too far off the map.

Whatever works. I ain't too proud to beg.

As someone who has taken his kids to Joe's for dinner on more than one occassion, I can vouch for this menu. Also, I think I'm 2 mongooses (mongeese?) away from having to register as a mongoose rescue agency.

So that's where they've been hiding...

It is amazing the things that medication can accomplish. :rolleyes1

As you can imagine, I'm a big fan!

Where's Cousin Eddie when you need him?

He's holding out for a management position.

At least you have the right attitude about it. Sure it sucks to miss out on a promotion, but there's no need to let it ruin a beautiful day in Maui. At least you still have your job and you've got your family and a beautiful beach. :thumbsup2

Complaints ring hollow when you see those pictures, right?

And the Costco there is still in the process of replenishing the Sun Chips supply.

We went overboard on the snacks. I barely touched the Sun Chips since I was devouring the Maui onion chips instead.:thumbsup2

And you wonder why it has lasted for 15 years... :rolleyes1

I keep telling my boys: marry a low-maintenance woman like I did!

:eek: :scared1: You trusted him for restaurant advice??? After your experience in Chicago??? :faint:

I know, right? Nobody ever said I was the brightest bulb in the socket.

Well said, Mark. And congratulations to you both on 15 (almost 15 1/2) years.

Thanks, Andy. It's been a good ride.

Use whatever excuse you need. We get it. :rotfl2::lmao:

The sun was in her eyes?:confused3

See Mark, another reason she puts up with you. :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

I'll take it and run!

And I was going to ask Mark who the third wheel was with you on your romantic evening on the beach. :lmao:

I was going to bring Scotty, but we were worried about the whole mongoose thing. He would actively try to get one.

Those are some great pictures. I like the effect of the 2 of you standing there.

Thanks! And here I thought you'd make fun of how lovey-dovey they are.

It is definitely a good thing this was an adults only dinner. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

We don't need any more mouths to feed!

Not really, but it was the same “artists” opinion.
(just following your lead there)

We wouldn’t actually attach a set of off-road “Mudders” to a Single House. We’d do far more “practical” things by making use of the hardware that already exists. Here…
This is a lot more accurate:

hqdefault.jpg

And here the video that little image came from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEDTUtT8tIE

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I remember seeing this demonstrated on Mythbusters!:thumbsup2

Congratulations on 15 years! :thumbsup2It is entertaining to read what you both have to say in the trip report. Clearly a very happy and funny couple. I am excited to hear about your next island...

Congratulations on 15 years! :thumbsup2It is entertaining to read what you both have to say in the trip report. Clearly a very happy and funny couple. I am excited to hear about your next island...

:thanks: I appreciate it. Obviously, I love my wife very much. And I'm not dumb enough to say negative things about her on a message board. :rotfl2:

Friday, June 28

Enough with the mushy stuff. Let’s get back to exploring. Adventure is out there!

We spent the morning packing up the Jeep and getting ready for our mid-day flight over to Hawaii, better known in ancient Hawaiian as The Big Island (catchy, huh?). My aunt was gracious enough to let us leave some bags/souvenirs in her home while we explored in order to help save us some dreaded airline bag fees. We said our goodbyes and drove down the mountain to Kahului airport. I took a little side road that goes right past the south end of the runway. If you’re lucky, you can see a plane fly only about 50 feet overheard or so as it makes its final approach.

We safely returned the Jeep, thankful that no one at the rental counter asked exactly how I’d made it back from Hana the other day. Then we headed over to the Hawaiian Airlines counter, checked in the bags, and did the TSA Tango once again. I was actually starting to get pretty good at knowing where to pack my stuff, and when to empty my pockets ahead of time so as to get through the security line as painlessly as possible. Not that it was painless, but experience definitely helped.

We had lunch in the exotic, romantic Kahului Airport food court. Hey, at least it wasn’t PB&J. It turned out to be one of the cheapest meals we had in Hawaii: $45 for a family of 5 to eat at Burger King.

Sigh.

Anyway, we boarded the plane and took a short 30-minute hop over to the town of Kailua-Kona on the Big Island, slamming POG juice as fast as we could before touchdown.

Some maps refer to the town as Kailua-Kona. Others call it Kailua, others call it Kona, and nobody seems to know what the official name of it is. You’ll even see all of these different names used on different road signs. But everyone calls it Kona, so we’ll go with that.

The Kona airport is actually pretty tiny and consists of open-air terminals and gates. You actually de-plane on a ramp rather than a jetway and walk on the tarmac to your gate. It was a new experience for us, and we thought it added to the sense of adventure. Hey, it’s the little things.

IMG_1836.jpg

Here’s Sarah posing in the “terminal”.

IMG_1837.jpg

We got our rental car (this time, it was a Nissan Rogue), packed our things inside, and headed out. The airport is about 7 miles north of Kona, which is important to note because the rental companies tell you to fill up within a 7-mile radius of the airport if you want your tank to be considered “full” on return. Thankfully there’s a Costco just north of Kona that fits the bill (if you can find it, that is).

We turned in the opposite direction—north, away from town. We drove for about 30 miles or so across the barren, dry western coast. There are a lot of high-end resorts in this area since it’s the dry side of the island, but most of them line the coast. The highway is further inland and traverses a lot of old lava flows from various eruptions of Mauna Loa. All along the drive, people have gathered white volcanic rocks and made various messages or shapes in the fields. As graffiti goes, it’s certainly preferable to a can of spray paint.

Our destination was the Pu’ukohola Heiau National Historic Site. At this site around 1790, King Kamehameha I built a temple (or heiau) to the Hawaiian war god in the hopes of fulfilling a prophecy that he would conquer the rest of the Hawaiian islands. If you recall, this would eventually work out well for him. As the story goes, thousands upon thousands of (ahem) “volunteers” formed a human chain 25 miles long, passing rocks all the way up from the Pololu Valley on the north side of the island over the Kohala Mountain to this site. No mortar was used, but the rocks were so neatly stacked that the structure still stands (with an assist from some restoration work a few years ago).

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

The visitor center is small and houses a few exhibits showcasing the Hawaiian culture, the construction of the heiau, and displays some artifacts as well.

IMG_1870.jpg

This exhibit allowed you to try and lift a sample stone that was used in the construction of the temple. I’d guess it weighed a good 50 lbs. or so. Imagine a human chain 25 miles along passing these up a mountain all day.

IMG_1852.jpg

And this little beauty is a weapon made from shark’s teeth. It was great for close-quarters battle, where you could saw it across your enemy’s throat. I was very discouraged to learn they did not sell these in the gift shop.

IMG_1848.jpg

After we got our coveted passport stamp, we headed out for a short trail to see the heiau.

IMG_1845.jpg

It’s a massive structure, and it’s hard to get a sense of the scale because it’s uphill and you can’t get very close to it. So take my word for it…not that you have much of a choice.

IMG_1853.jpg

Nearby is another structure that was used as a fort. An Englishman named John Young was captured by Hawaiians here, but made into an advisor for their army. Hawaiians tended to recruit foreigners in order to take advantage of their technology (cannons, rifles, etc.) and military knowledge.

IMG_1856.jpg

Here you can see how neatly stacked the stones are in the walls. I’ll have to ask Julie to contrast this with the appearance of my son’s chest of drawers.

IMG_1857.jpg

Just down the hill was an inlet and a small beach. Somewhere under the water in this inlet, the Hawaiians built a sacred temple honoring the sharks and shark gods. They would occasionally hang food on pitchforks in the water to attract sharks who would hopefully be appeased by their offerings. No word on whether those offerings occasionally included some of their enemies.

IMG_1860.jpg

Nearby was a “leaning stone”, where the chief would sit and watch the sharks in the cove.

IMG_1863.jpg

Unfortunately, we didn’t see any sharks in the water. If only there were some way to attract them…

IMG_1865.jpg

What? No, we didn’t throw Sharkbait in the water. Although he did seem appropriately dressed.

Our visit done, we piled back into the car and drove back south towards Kona. About 3 miles from town, we stopped at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park.

IMG_1872.jpg

As near as I can tell, that’s Hawaiian for “Government Boondoggle”.

This park basically consisted of a small visitor center atop a lava field next to a couple of fish ponds on the coast. Supposedly it’s there to preserve the history and culture of ancient Hawaiians who used the area to fish, grow crops and practice their religion.

Maybe I’m biased because I have to watch the government perform archaeological studies on every single project site that magically come to the exact same conclusions (“previous cultures used this land to grow crops and built simple dwellings, used horses and waterways for transport, and built simple tools”) every single time. But really, couldn’t you say that regarding just about any random piece of property? Diamond Head, where you can hike the interior of a volcano AND a military installation, is only a state park, but this gets National Park protection?

IMG_1874.jpg

Maybe my blood sugar was low. Who knows? In any case, I wasn’t impressed when we arrived. We wandered up to the visitor center (which basically consisted of a park ranger and a gift shop area), and the park ranger seemed so thrilled to actually have visitors that he pulled us aside and started into a grand speech that he obviously practiced every morning in front of the mirror.

“I know what you’re thinking,” he said. “You’re looking around at this site thinking, ‘What kind of a waste of government money is this?’”

Wow, he’s good. That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Then he went into talking about the culture and their fishing, etc., and I know I’m a really horrible person, but I was more interested in a gecko I saw crawling up the wall behind him. The kids were definitely more interested in the lizard.

Anyway, he rambled on for a while, and then informed us that the visitor center actually closed in a few minutes. Darn it all.

“However”, he said, “the park is always open. It’s just the parking lot that closes.” Okay. You’re working way too hard to put mystery into this.

He then explained that we could drive 2 miles out of our way to an alternate entrance to some trails to continue our adventure. Yeah, we’ll get right on that. Never seen a fish pond before.

Then he gave his grand finale. He asked us where we were from, and we told him that we hailed from the great state of Delaware. Usually that throws some people for a loop, since there aren’t too many of us, but he was unfazed. “Did you know that Hawaii was discovered by people from Delaware? I bet you didn’t know that.”

We agreed that no, we didn’t know that.

“Well, you kids are from Delaware. And you’re here, setting foot where you’ve never been before, in Hawaii. So you are now discovering Hawaii.”

Pardon me for a moment.

puke.gif

Ok, I appreciate his message. And full points for the enthusiasm. And yes, we all agree that I'm a jerk. But, dude…you’re trying way too hard. If you have to work this hard to sell us on the place, maybe there’s not much here to buy?

Julie was all warmth and charm: “Thank you so much. Hey, where do we get our National Park passport stamped?”

Leave it to her to find a way to say what we were all thinking.

Coming Up Next: A peek at our digs for the night. And, is this (beer) heaven?

You got to go island hopping!!!! :cool1:
Glad you got 2 stamps out of it even if you had to work for the second one. :lmao:

Can't wait to see where you lay your head for the night.

Friday, June 28

Enough with the mushy stuff. Let’s get back to exploring. Adventure is out there!

What? I love the mushy stuff!

We had lunch in the exotic, romantic Kahului Airport food court. Hey, at least it wasn’t PB&J. It turned out to be one of the cheapest meals we had in Hawaii: $45 for a family of 5 to eat at Burger King.

Sigh.

:faint:

Anyway, we boarded the plane and took a short 30-minute hop over to the town of Kailua-Kona on the Big Island, slamming POG juice as fast as we could before touchdown.

Hey, it’s the little things.

IMG_1836.jpg

Cool!

Here’s Sarah posing in the “terminal”.

IMG_1837.jpg

Cute pix!

This exhibit allowed you to try and lift a sample stone that was used in the construction of the temple. I’d guess it weighed a good 50 lbs. or so. Imagine a human chain 25 miles along passing these up a mountain all day.

IMG_1852.jpg

Aren't there child labor laws prohibiting this? :confused3

And this little beauty is a weapon made from shark’s teeth. It was great for close-quarters battle, where you could saw it across your enemy’s throat. I was very discouraged to learn they did not sell these in the gift shop.

IMG_1848.jpg

Yeah - try getting THAT past the TSA!

Unfortunately, we didn’t see any sharks in the water. If only there were some way to attract them…

IMG_1865.jpg

What? No, we didn’t throw Sharkbait in the water. Although he did seem appropriately dressed.

That is just wrong! :rolleyes2

Then he gave his grand finale. He asked us where we were from, and we told him that we hailed from the great state of Delaware. Usually that throws some people for a loop, since there aren’t too many of us, but he was unfazed. “Did you know that Hawaii was discovered by people from Delaware? I bet you didn’t know that.”

We agreed that no, we didn’t know that.

“Well, you kids are from Delaware. And you’re here, setting foot where you’ve never been before, in Hawaii. So you are now discovering Hawaii.”

Pardon me for a moment.

puke.gif

Yup - Definitely has too much time on his hands. :sad2:

Julie was all warmth and charm: “Thank you so much. Hey, where do we get our National Park passport stamped?”

Julie to the rescue! Sometimes its just best to go with the truth.

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

599829_594362900591197_1719332535_n.jpg

Adventure is out there!

The wilderness must be explored!

tumblr_lpfrplrBOz1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

We safely returned the Jeep, thankful that no one at the rental counter asked exactly how I’d made it back from Hana the other day.

Silence is golden…
Or more rather, silence saved you a bit of gold.

Then we headed over to the Hawaiian Airlines counter, checked in the bags, and did the TSA Tango once again.

I rather Like: “TSA Tango”. That may need to make its way into the regular vernacular.
Just make sure you don’t give them reason to pull you aside for any “special searches”

Cause then you’d be telling us about having to do the Hokey Pokey.

Sigh…

That’s what I said.

Airlines give so little any more, I’d be inhaling the stuff as well.

The Kona airport is actually pretty tiny and consists of open-air terminals and gates. You actually de-plane on a ramp rather than a jetway and walk on the tarmac to your gate. It was a new experience for us, and we thought it added to the sense of adventure. Hey, it’s the little things.

Adventure eh… well then you need to fly into Charlotte.
One entire concourse of one of the US’s larger hubs is set up just like that.
We flew to Indianapolis a while back and were trudging the tarmac to and from the plane (And climbing the little fold-down ladder to board the plane as well).

All along the drive, people have gathered white volcanic rocks and made various messages or shapes in the fields. As graffiti goes, it’s certainly preferable to a can of spray paint.

Interesting…
I’ve not heard about that particular bit of pop culture.
Certainly a more ecologically friendly form of vandalism.

As the story goes, thousands upon thousands of (ahem) “volunteers” formed a human chain 25 miles long, passing rocks all the way up from the Pololu Valley on the north side of the island over the Kohala Mountain to this site.

Just like the volunteers that built the pyramids…
Along with numerous other grand structures and thriving economies.

Disipointing indeed…
You can buy hand grenades in Charleston’s gift shops.

Here you can see how neatly stacked the stones are in the walls. I’ll have to ask Julie to contrast this with the appearance of my son’s chest of drawers.

:lmao:

At least the contents seem to make it off the floor and into the drawer.
That’s one up on my boy when he was that age.

Just down the hill was an inlet and a small beach. Somewhere under the water in this inlet, the Hawaiians built a sacred temple honoring the sharks and shark gods. They would occasionally hang food on pitchforks in the water to attract sharks who would hopefully be appeased by their offerings. No word on whether those offerings occasionally included some of their enemies.

smiley-shark3.gif

Our visit done, we piled back into the car and drove back south towards Kona. About 3 miles from town, we stopped at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park.

Ummm….
Think I’ll just let your commentary on this park stand on its own.

…is this (beer) heaven?

No it’s Iowa…

Wait, this ain’t Iowa.
Maybe it is beer heaven then.

t0364.gif

You got to go island hopping!!!! :cool1:
Glad you got 2 stamps out of it even if you had to work for the second one. :lmao:

You gotta work to get these stamps sometimes. And not all of the work is physical. :rotfl2:

Can't wait to see where you lay your head for the night.

Well, it's not Aulani. But it worked out well.

What? I love the mushy stuff!

I'm gonna get cooties if I keep going to that well. :crazy2:

Cute pix!

:thanks:

Aren't there child labor laws prohibiting this? :confused3

Did you see that shark-tooth weapon? I'm not going to be the one who protests.

Yeah - try getting THAT past the TSA!

Well, it's not metal... :scratchin

That is just wrong! :rolleyes2

:rolleyes1

Yup - Definitely has too much time on his hands. :sad2:

I mean, at some point, didn't you notice that I started reading a vomit bag?

Julie to the rescue! Sometimes its just best to go with the truth.

Plus they were closing the parking lot and all. So we really needed to get moving. :rolleyes1

Scotty participated in a "Reader's Theater" play in the spring. His assigned part - "The Shark King"! He wore this shirt for the performance. It was just perfect that he wore it today!

:rolleyes1

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

The wilderness must be explored!

tumblr_lpfrplrBOz1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Kevin? Is that you?

Silence is golden…
Or more rather, silence saved you a bit of gold.

I know when to keep my big trap shut.

I rather Like: “TSA Tango”. That may need to make its way into the regular vernacular.

Just make sure you don’t give them reason to pull you aside for any “special searches”

Cause then you’d be telling us about having to do the Hokey Pokey.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Sigh…

That’s what I said.

Is there an echo in here?

Airlines give so little any more, I’d be inhaling the stuff as well.

As we all know, if it's free it's for me.

Adventure eh… well then you need to fly into Charlotte.
One entire concourse of one of the US’s larger hubs is set up just like that.
We flew to Indianapolis a while back and were trudging the tarmac to and from the plane (And climbing the little fold-down ladder to board the plane as well).

Sounds adventurous. I'd expect that on a remote island, but in Charlotte?:confused3

Interesting…
I’ve not heard about that particular bit of pop culture.
Certainly a more ecologically friendly form of vandalism.

I don't recall taking any pictures, or at least any that turned out. Otherwise I would have posted something.

Just like the volunteers that built the pyramids…
Along with numerous other grand structures and thriving economies.

Well, at least it gave them something to do.:thumbsup2

Disipointing indeed…
You can buy hand grenades in Charleston’s gift shops.

:rotfl::lmao: +1:thumbsup2 for obscure TR references.

:lmao:

At least the contents seem to make it off the floor and into the drawer.
That’s one up on my boy when he was that age.

No, that doesn't happen in our house either. The drawers don't even get closed, for pete's sake.

Can you imagine the poor schlub--er, "volunteer" that got selected to build the underwater altar?

Ummm….
Think I’ll just let your commentary on this park stand on its own.

Does it sound like a place you'd want to visit?

No it’s Iowa…

Wait, this ain’t Iowa.
Maybe it is beer heaven then.

Or is that Wisconsin?

The Stone wall and shark worship things look pretty cool and very interesting.

The national park... Not so much. Props to Julie for the save and getting passports stamped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter