...And Then Scotty Happened. A Hawaiian Adventure (CHAPTER 32 Added 5/23--THE END)

They beat the 0-3 Giants…
The rest of the Charlotte region may be celebrating, but I’ll wait until they actually accomplish something before pulling out the flags and bunting. Although three quarters of the NFC-South is simply retched thus far, so they may have a shot at being second best in the worst conference….

Hooray? :sad2:

The NFC East may actually be worse than the NFC North. Time will tell, I guess.

Let's go Flyers!:woohoo:

Let me know when you do. I now find myself traveling up that way far more often these days.
I’ll take you to see another ball team that can’t seem to win a game
(but trust me… the Band ROCKS! :thumbsup2)

Sounds like a plan! We have no idea where we're going next year. This whole Surprise Baby thing kind of threw everything out of whack. But we only have a few summers left before Sarah goes to college, so we will definitely continue trying to pick up states and destinations.

Yah, about that…
Sorry for egging everyone on there.
You can have the soap box back now.
;)

No apologies necessary. It was getting kinda quiet in here, and I was grateful for the conversation.

About like my implicit knowledge of Hawaiian. :rotfl:
Speaking of geek points… we’ve got a new thread going across the way that is just begging for the Captain’s expertise.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3175435

Cool! Hadn't spotted that thread. Although it appears to have left off with Norm, and I have no idea if he actually put a movie quote in his post or not.:confused3

What were we talking about?

Who's on first?

Me either…
But I’m now paying it anyway :rotfl2:

I'm not even sure I can afford in-state rates...

Cool! Hadn't spotted that thread. Although it appears to have left off with Norm, and I have no idea if he actually put a movie quote in his post or not.:confused3

He did… got mine right and the rest is a quoted conversation.

I [now] know it, but I had to look it up(which I’m personally trying not to do, though it ain’t a rule per say), so I’m hoping someone that actually did know would pick it up and get the game going again.

Who's on first?

Who…

The NFC East may actually be worse than the NFC North. Time will tell, I guess.

Let's go Flyers!:woohoo:

What are you talking about, NFC North is the place to be.

Bears #1, 3-0 baby! Woo Hoo!

Of course, this puts us in the same camp as the Kansas City Chiefs.......... OK, time will tell.

What are you talking about, NFC North is the place to be.

Bears #1, 3-0 baby! Woo Hoo!

Of course, this puts us in the same camp as the Kansas City Chiefs.......... OK, time will tell.

Sorry, I had a brain fart. We were talking about the NFC South, which is where the Panthers reside.

I always struggle with trying to make the beach chapters interesting. I mean, most people know what a beach day is like. You sit on the sand. You swim in the ocean. You play with the kids. You might bodyboard or surf or snorkel. Eventually you’ll get sunburned and dehydrated. We haven’t suddenly discovered some amazing unique activities that make going to the beach somehow different from any other trip to the beach you’ve ever taken (unless you’re from New Jersey, in which case you go to “the shore” instead).

So, now that I’ve spend that paragraph explaining why you shouldn’t bother with this chapter because it will suck, let’s dive in.

The kids really wanted to go to the beach. We’d held off long enough, and you really can’t call it a Hawaiian vacation unless you spend some time on the beach. So we changed into our bathing suits, lathered up with sunscreen, packed up the boards and hit the road.

As I mentioned before, there’s only one road up and down the mountain, so we had to take that highway back down to Kahului. From there, you have a choice of two major roads. Highway 30 takes you around the West Maui Mountain to the west coast, the town of Lahaina and the resort areas of Ka’anapali and Kapalua. Highway 31 takes you to the southern coast and the resorts of Kihei, Wailea, and Makena. Both areas offer miles of beautiful beaches and mostly dry, sunny weather.

My aunt recommended Kama’ole Beach Park II (Now Kama’ole-ier!) just south of the town of Kihei, so that’s where we ended up.

Because the road connections are so limited on the island, it took about 45-50 minutes to drive from Kula on the mountain all the way down to the beach. If only they would hire a road engineer to improve the travel options…

There are three Kama’ole Beach Parks, basically a group of three beaches close to each other that came across the desk of the Hawaii Beach-Naming Committee while they were having a lazy day. Because we didn’t get down there until 2 p.m. and the skies were somewhat overcast, we ended up bypassing the morning crowds and getting a parking space on the street right by the beach as others were packing up to go home. Score one for the good guys.

Looking northwest, we could see the West Maui Mountain.

IMG_1097.jpg

And looking south, the island of Kaho’olawe (and Molokini) was in view.

IMG_1098.jpg

My past readers will remember that I enjoy the beach up to a point. I like spending a day or two there at most. I like relaxing, and I enjoy swimming in the ocean. But I get bored easily, and would have a really hard time spending an entire week just sitting on the sand. This was just an afternoon, and it worked out well. We spent most of our time in the ocean, enjoying the water.

It wasn’t quite the bathwater-warm temperatures I remembered from my previous trip many moons ago, but it was certainly comfortable. Much warmer than the Atlantic. And there was another big difference between Maui and Delaware beaches—the water was actually clear. It’s a bit of a shock to an East Coast guy like me to be able to wade in up to my chest and still be able to see my feet. As opposed to the Atlantic, where you can get in up to….oh, about the ankles or so before you lose sight of them. But still, other than the ocean temperature, water clarity, mountains, views of other islands, palm trees, lava rock on the coastline, readily available parking, and multiple locations of beautiful beaches, it was exactly the same as Delaware.

I don’t think kids ever get tired of jumping waves. That goes for big kids too. We did this for a while…

IMG_1073.jpg

…and then Scotty happened. He decided he was better off surfing on land.

IMG_1094.jpg

Me and my water-bug. Looks like someone is already turning red. Thanks to my Irish blood, I only come in two colors.

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

Julie was fooling around with the camera and found some flowering plants holding the dunes together.

IMG_1115.jpg

And then, wouldn’t you know it? Some idiot started torturing his poor kids.

IMG_1128.jpg

Looking down the coastline:

IMG_1131.jpg

We were trying to figure out in which direction the prevailing wind generally blew. Any guesses?

IMG_1132.jpg

Here Scotty made sand models of the Hawaiian islands.

IMG_1138.jpg

And when the boys were tired of the ocean, they decided to work on a drainage canal along the beach, proving once and for all that they are the sons of an engineer. I don’t know if they succeeded in draining the Pacific Ocean, but I’m sure they came close.

IMG_1141.jpg

And that’s about all I got to say about that. We had a very nice, relaxing afternoon on the beach before heading back to my aunt’s place for dinner and an evening with family. How often can you say you climbed to the top of a volcano and swam at the beach on the same day?

Coming Up Next: We conduct a dangerous exploration of a mysterious sacred valley, while trying to leave enough time for grocery shopping and snacks.

It wasn’t quite the bathwater-warm temperatures I remembered from my previous trip many moons ago, but it was certainly comfortable.

I was surprised that it was the temperature it was....

I'm glad you chose the picture of David BEFORE his bathing suit started to slip off his skinny-mini waist!

I don’t know if they succeeded in draining the Pacific Ocean, but I’m sure they came close.

They spent a good hour doing this!

So Mark has been giving me crap for not responding. So there. Take that.

I didn't go in the water much because you hear these stories that say "STAY WITH YOUR BELONGINGS" - so I had my purse (with Mark's wallet and keys) and the camera with me the whole time. I don't think I did any reading on this beach day....

And to give Mark some grief about earlier.....when he was worried that his carry on wouldn't fit in the compartment.....let's just say that I'm the "worrier" in the family - I can jump to conclusions super fast (and be wrong about all of the horrible things that I've planned out in my head....) But this time, we traded places. He was a nervous wreck....we'd think he was trying to sneak candy into the movie theater or something. :rotfl2:

I always struggle with trying to make the beach chapters interesting. I mean, most people know what a beach day is like. You sit on the sand. You swim in the ocean. You play with the kids. You might bodyboard or surf or snorkel. Eventually you’ll get sunburned and dehydrated.

Ah yes, beach days. It usually takes somewhere between 15 and 17.5 minutes for me to get to "sunburned".

So, now that I’ve spend that paragraph explaining why you shouldn’t bother with this chapter because it will suck, let’s dive in.

Why should this deter us now. We're already at chapter 12.

My aunt recommended Kama’ole Beach Park II (Now Kama’ole-ier!) just south of the town of Kihei, so that’s where we ended up.

You chose...wisely. Of course, our place is near by in Wailea so I'm biased.

Because the road connections are so limited on the island, it took about 45-50 minutes to drive from Kula on the mountain all the way down to the beach. If only they would hire a road engineer to improve the travel options…

I've been advocating connecting the Piilani Highway to the Kula Highway for years. If only I knew a DOT engineer? :idea:

There are three Kama’ole Beach Parks, basically a group of three beaches close to each other that came across the desk of the Hawaii Beach-Naming Committee while they were having a lazy day. Because we didn’t get down there until 2 p.m. and the skies were somewhat overcast, we ended up bypassing the morning crowds and getting a parking space on the street right by the beach as others were packing up to go home. Score one for the good guys.

+ 1 good guys.

It wasn’t quite the bathwater-warm temperatures I remembered from my previous trip many moons ago, but it was certainly comfortable. Much warmer than the Atlantic. And there was another big difference between Maui and Delaware beaches—the water was actually clear. It’s a bit of a shock to an East Coast guy like me to be able to wade in up to my chest and still be able to see my feet. As opposed to the Atlantic, where you can get in up to….oh, about the ankles or so before you lose sight of them. But still, other than the ocean temperature, water clarity, mountains, views of other islands, palm trees, lava rock on the coastline, readily available parking, and multiple locations of beautiful beaches, it was exactly the same as Delaware.

This is something we love, (water clarity) as we were able to get the girls to see the fish swimming around our feet without the need for snorkel gear, or expensive snorkel excursions.

IMG_1094.jpg

Seems logical. Less likely to fall and get hurt.

Me and my water-bug. Looks like someone is already turning red. Thanks to my Irish blood, I only come in two colors.

Ah, the Irish Tan.

Julie was fooling around with the camera and found some flowering plants holding the dunes together.

Oooohhhh.... artsy.

There's always 1 bad apple......

We were trying to figure out in which direction the prevailing wind generally blew. Any guesses?

Downwind?

Quite a good likeness....

And when the boys were tired of the ocean, they decided to work on a drainage canal along the beach, proving once and for all that they are the sons of an engineer. I don’t know if they succeeded in draining the Pacific Ocean, but I’m sure they came close.

I think this must be some sort of instinctual response to water and sand. If you can't contain it, at least dictate its flow.

And that’s about all I got to say about that. We had a very nice, relaxing afternoon on the beach before heading back to my aunt’s place for dinner and an evening with family. How often can you say you climbed to the top of a volcano and swam at the beach on the same day?

Ummmm.... 4 times? 5? Am I close?

Coming Up Next: We conduct a dangerous exploration of a mysterious sacred valley, while trying to leave enough time for grocery shopping and snacks.

This sound like a logistical nightmare.

I always struggle with trying to make the beach chapters interesting. I mean, most people know what a beach day is like. You sit on the sand. You swim in the ocean. You play with the kids. You might bodyboard or surf or snorkel. Eventually you’ll get sunburned and dehydrated.
As long as you don't blind us with any of those pasty white guy pictures...

(unless you’re from New Jersey, in which case you go to “the shore” instead).
And if you're not from New Jersey, you'd like to see "the shore" reclaimed by the rising ocean.

If only they would hire a road engineer to improve the travel options…
Yes, because they solve all the problems. Traffic will never be bad. All the roads will be smooth as silk. Nobody will ever have any highway related issues to ever complain of again. :rolleyes1

Because we didn’t get down there until 2 p.m. and the skies were somewhat overcast, we ended up bypassing the morning crowds and getting a parking space on the street right by the beach as others were packing up to go home. Score one for the good guys.
Wait a minute... beach day and you didn't get there until 2? Sounds good to me! :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

But still, other than the ocean temperature, water clarity, mountains, views of other islands, palm trees, lava rock on the coastline, readily available parking, and multiple locations of beautiful beaches, it was exactly the same as Delaware.
Sounds like a waste of time and money to me... :rolleyes1

You'll never believe how long he can stay on his board!!!

How often can you say you climbed to the top of a volcano and swam at the beach on the same day?
Well... do any of your readers live in Hawaii?? :confused3 :lmao:

I guess you could do that in the state of Washington too though. :scratchin

Oh, my goodness. Were you being threatened or something? That's a couple of hours you'll never get back.

(But thanks for reading them! I hope you enjoyed it!)

Really, we've just been completely dead at work. From about 2:30 on, I have nothing to do except count ceiling tiles. Your TRs keep me from going (completely) crazy.

Ok, seriously? We're all DISney geeks, reading DISney trip reports, hanging out on a DISney message board devoted to all things DISney, and I have to justify why I went to Disney World instead of hanging out in North Carolina?

:sad2:

Anyway, part of what Rob said was true: I-95 in NC doesn't provide for too many exciting diversions. But a few years ago I was lucky enough to get tickets to a practice round at the Masters tournament, and we turned that into a little Southern road trip. Let me direct your attention to a quick mini-journal of the time we spent in the Outer Banks on our way back home.

No, no, I completely understand why you didn't stop on your way to Disney. We don't stop either, though our drive is considerably shorter than yours. I'm just sayin you should pay us a visit some other time. And if you decide to, I can say that I know a FABULOUS travel agent who happens to live here and also spend time on the DIS. She's awesome. Goes by the name of SoccerDog or something like that.... :rolleyes1;)

Also, Britt's Donuts in Carolina Beach > Duck Donuts. And Cape Hatteras > Bodie. We MOVED Cape Hatteras. Seriously. Engineering marvel. (and I would know, since my boyfriend is a mechanical engineer) He finally visited it this summer, and I got to hear alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll about it. Because, you know, not like I lived it.

Future plans involve making a stop for the Great Smoky Mountains along the western border. When? Beats me.:confused3

Yesssssss. Come to the dark side. And refer to above paragraph for your travel needs.

I would invite you to come visit me in the awesomeness that is Raleigh-not-Cary, but, well, I'm in the middle of apartment hunting and so still live at home with my parents. Who no longer have a bed. Their waterbed (yeah, they never really left the 80s) sprung a major leak, and so we had to get rid of it, and they haven't bought a new mattress yet. So we only have one bed in our house, which is occupied by me and our 60 lb boxer mix Apawlo because we're selfish and like having a mattress. And we're the only ones who will brave the disaster area that is my room :rolleyes:

North Carolina: We're Amazing Except for Cary and the Whole I-95 Stretch.:thumbsup2

I actually did tour NC State as a serious option for my schooling way back when. Just couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition.

You have to get off 95 and hit 40. That's where the fun is.

It's okay, Joe (DBf) couldn't afford in-state tuition. State is great (heh, rhyme:upsidedow) if you want to be an engineer, vet, or farmer. Or textiles, so I hear. I majored in hospitality management, so I went to ECU. Cheapest school in the UNC system!!

How can you NOT have fun at the beach. Great choice and even though there were clouds it looks like you needed them to keep from being burnt to a crisp. :beach:

Love the picture of the tree, funny thing nature.

Sometimes the best memories are the simple ones. :cloud9:

I always struggle with trying to make the beach chapters interesting.

Don’t think that’s really gonn’a be a problem this time around.

Odd…
This sounds strangely like an introduction to a “Bonus Feature”.

The kids really wanted to go to the beach.

Because… well because they’re kids.

you really can’t call it a Hawaiian vacation unless you spend some time on the beach.

Gonn’a have to agree with the kids on that one as well.

So we’re talking Route-31 then…

that’s where we ended up.

“And that has made all the difference.”

If only they would hire a road engineer to improve the travel options…

You’d “soitanly” fit right in as a member of the Hawaii Beach-Naming Committee

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk…

Because we didn’t get down there until 2 p.m. and the skies were somewhat overcast, we ended up bypassing the morning crowds and getting a parking space on the street right by the beach as others were packing up to go home.

Soooo…. rope drop is not necessarily advantageous in Hawaii.
That’s twice being a bit late has been a good thing.

My past readers will remember that I enjoy the beach up to a point.

Up to the point of medium-well if I remember correctly

But I get bored easily…

Squirrel! :squirrel:

But still, other than the ocean temperature, water clarity, mountains, views of other islands, palm trees, lava rock on the coastline, readily available parking, and multiple locations of beautiful beaches, it was exactly the same as Delaware.

And the Nene… don’t forget those.
If only Delaware had a flock of Nenes…
there’d be no reason for anyone to ever leave the East Coast.

I don’t think kids ever get tired of jumping waves.

We could research this, but practical experience leads me to suspect that you’re correct on this point.

That goes for big kids too.

Wait, I thought that’s what you were talking about in the first place.

…and then Scotty happened.

And we’d expect no less…

He decided he was better off surfing on land.

This approach would tend to make it a bit easier to retrieve the board once you whipped-out.

As they get bigger (and you get older) and yet still demand such treatment…
it becomes harder to tell just exactly who is getting tortured here.

That-a-way!

Or cow pies…
One or the other.

And when the boys were tired of the ocean, they decided to work on a drainage canal along the beach, proving once and for all that they are the sons of an engineer.

By working on a futile project, destined to fail from the onset while receiving no measurable compensation of any kind?

Wait! That’s my job!

And that’s about all I got to say about that.

Yah, this chapter was “soitanly” lacking in the magic that we’ve all come to expect from Hawaii.
Ya’ shuld’a just stayed at home.

Yah, right… Like I’m buyin’ into that nonsence… :lmao:

I was surprised that it was the temperature it was....

Still felt good, though. It just felt a little cool when the wind was up and the sun was behind the clouds.

I'm glad you chose the picture of David BEFORE his bathing suit started to slip off his skinny-mini waist!

:eek::rolleyes1

They spent a good hour doing this!

Well, that's a lot of water to drain.

So Mark has been giving me crap for not responding. So there. Take that.

I even tried to bait you by revealing that you steal the covers all the time.

I didn't go in the water much because you hear these stories that say "STAY WITH YOUR BELONGINGS" - so I had my purse (with Mark's wallet and keys) and the camera with me the whole time. I don't think I did any reading on this beach day....

But you like playing with the camera anyway.

And to give Mark some grief about earlier.....when he was worried that his carry on wouldn't fit in the compartment.....let's just say that I'm the "worrier" in the family - I can jump to conclusions super fast (and be wrong about all of the horrible things that I've planned out in my head....) But this time, we traded places. He was a nervous wreck....we'd think he was trying to sneak candy into the movie theater or something. :rotfl2:

"Nervous wreck" is overstating things. I just have a phobia of paying extra airline fees.

I'm with you on the beach thing. If our vacation is going to be mostly at the beach, there best be some good snorkeling near by or I would go nuts.

What a fun update, Mark. I'm with you; even though we go to Marco for a week, there is no way I can sit at the beach every day for hours upon hours. My husband, well he is another story. We usually do two days for the morning hours and that is enough for me.

Love the picture of you and Sarah; and Scotty boarding on the sand is a hoot.

Yup - sounds the same. I don't know how you could even begin to tell the difference. :rotfl2:

The beach pictures are absolutely gorgeous.

Scotty's attempt at land surfing looks like the safe way to go!

I'll give you this - you succeeded in making a day at the beach mighty interesting!

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I enjoyed your boring beach chapter! What a view! A person could get used to that huh?

I know I'm waaaaaaaaay late to this party but I'm subbing and will be back to catch up on all the Oblivious' adventures. :bitelip:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter