• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

And THAT's when I threw up on my grandmother. p.17: We're back!

I know, it defies logic! I mean, what on earth could a prissy little 4 year old girl love more than princesses? Well until a couple of months ago, the answer would have been "nothing." But to borrow a line from The Aristocats, "Let me elucidate..."

Back sometime in September I guess, my mother called early in the morning to tell me that their corporate attorney had offered her boss 4 tickets to The Lion King: The Musical at Fair Park Music Hall in Dallas. Her boss is a really great guy, and he thinks the world of my mom and her grandbabies, so he says "Hey Jan, call Ashley and see if she and the kids can use the tickets." So she did and I was like ":yay: ohmygoshomygoshomygosh!!!" Because I've always wanted to see it, and I knew the kids would love it.

What followed was a whirlwind of logistical operations trying to figure out whether Gus would be able to get home in time to watch Mason so we could leave on time or whether my Mom would have to leave work early to watch him for us. It was kind of absurd really, because Gus and my mother work just a few blocks away from eachother, but their offices are about an hour away from our house. We didn't want my mom to rush up here only to find out halfway here that Gus was on his way. But finally DH called to say he was on his way.

Now, I mentioned that my mom's corporate attorney gave us the tickets. Well, she actually was using tickets purchased by another attorney in their firm. I called the Music Hall to make sure we wouldn't have any problems claiming the tickets, and I was told that all I had to do was tell them the name the tickets were purchased in and I could pick them up. "You're sure?" "Yep." Great!

BTW, I had lost my drivers license sometime in the late spring/early summer. I never got it replaced, because I'm fairly sure Ramie lost it in the school room. But on my way out the door, for some reason (divine intervention!!!) I said "Hey honey? Did you say you had my expired passport somewhere?" I tucked it in my purse, just in case.

So we arrive at Fair Park--along with 15million other eager audience members, and hoof it from the far reaches of the parking lot to the Music Hall. I tell the gal at the ticket counter my story, and she's like "How do I know they said it was okay for you to have these tickets?" I explained to her that I had called earlier to ask if I needed any other documentation and was told I was good to go, but she was on some kind of ticket agent power trip or something. She asks me for the people's address to confirm, and I'm like "Look, here's my story again. I don't know there address. I only know their names." So she asks me for my drivers license. "Well, funny you should ask, because I've lost my license, but I have my passport!" (I left out the part about it being expired. No sense appearing totally inept, right?). She shoots me a scowl you would not believe! I'm like "Ma'am, I have just driven an hour and a half with my 3 children, and they are so looking forward to this, and I called and talked with Judy in the ticket office earlier to make absolutely sure I didn't need to do anything else to claim these tickets. I promise, I am legit." So she grudgingly hands me the tickets, and has me sign some affadavit thing. Then she looks me in the eye and--I kid you not--actually says to me "If you're lying, we know where you are sitting and we will come and get you." :eek:

So she hands me the tickets and says something about picking up our "merchandise package." I'm like, :confused: . So I ask another attendant what that's all about and she says "Just present this stub at the souvenir stand and they'll give it to you." :confused: But we go stand in the line and find out that when a partner in one of the biggest law firms in the nation buys Lion King tickets, they buy the good tickets! We each got a Lion King cap and the full color keepsake program--that's $30 in mdse. each. As we are standing in line, I happen to look at our tickets and see that each of them has the price at the top--$140 each! That's $560! ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! The nosebleed seats were $40 apiece, and I had fully prepared the kids to not be too picky about where our seats were. But for $140 each, I'm thinking these seats are going to be....well, a durn sight better than nosebleed...

And Boy, was I right! The usher points the way, and my eyes pop out of my head--8th row, center stage!!!! WOW!!!!:love: I'm talkin' animals processing down the aisles right on either side of us, right in the middle of the action.

I had told the kids that the production would be somewhat in the flavor of the Animal Kingdom Jammin' in the Jungle parade, in terms of artistic interpretations of the various animal costumes, but other than that, we had no idea what a treat we were in for.

It was an amazing show! If you haven't seen it, oh man--it's amazing! :cloud9: I think you would enjoy it from any seat in the house, but the closer you are, the more you can really appreciate the costumes, which are unbelievable!

The kids were absolutely rapt. Their eyes were huge, taking everything in. They talked about it for weeks. Heck, they're still talking about it. But for weeks afterward, Ethan would say, "I'm sad that we'll never be able to afford to see The Lion King again." Well, not with seats like that, anyway! And I really recommend buying at least one program, because they have loved looking through it and talking about the costuming.

So we're talking about Ramie though, right? Well, little Ramie absolutely fell in love with the whole thing. She woke up talking about it, it was the last thing she talked about before bed, and she would ask over and over again why we couldn't go back and see it again. She loved it! So Riley tells her about Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom (which is really nothing at all like the musical, but hey, Ramie's only 4), and how we can go see it when we're at WDW.

So now, Ramie has decided that the first thing she wants to do is go see Festival of the Lion King. I had kind of forgotten about her obsession, and the other day we were on allears.net looking at the photos of the different rides, and I was showing her the pics of the Peter Pan ride. "Hey, Ramie, aren't you excited that you're going to get to go on that ride?" and she says "Yes, but first we're going to go see the Lion King." I said, "Well, first we are going to eat breakfast in Cinderella's Castle with all the princesses." and she says, very matter-of-factly, "No, first I want to go see Lion King." :confused3 Whodathunk? I hope she's willing to negotiate a little, because it ain't gonna play out that way--not when we won't be getting to the hotel until 6:30pm, and have breakkie reservations for CRT the next morning at 10:15. No, it will have to be our second full day at WDW. I have a feeling she'll be all right with that.

And next time, you'll finally find out who those mysterious celebrities were that accompanied us on our trip to DL....any guesses? Come on, there's a :mickeybar for the right guess! Another hint, you say? Let me think....okay, there's the intellectual, the goofy-but-loveable chubby one, and, of course, the trouble-maker. Oh come on, I'm practically handing it to you on a silver platter!

okay, one more hint..."....we can hardly stand the wait...."

Okay, here's a summary of the hints about the "celebrity trio:"

Vocal trio, had a hit with a Christmas song years and years ago, had three hit albums in the late 70s/early 80s: one Rock, one C&W, and one Punk; starred in several made for tv movies and had their own series for a while, and have a major motion picture due to be released soon. The trio consists of the intellectual, the goofy but sweet chubby one, and the troublemaker.

Okay, one more hint: The three hit albums were all compilations of cover tracks (which means they recorded other artists' hit songs). The Rock album included "The Leader of the Pack," the C&W album included "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys," and the punk album included "Good Girls Don't," and "Night Life" (neither of which really qualify as "punk" songs, but they classified their album as "punk."

And if you need one more: they're not human! Any guesses?

Hey Ashley!

I absolutely :love: the Lion King too! I fell in love with the movie first and then the Festival of the Lion King at AK and then the stage show. My mom and I camped out 3 years ago and got tickets for when it was here in PA. We had front row seats! I absolutely loved it and I am seeing it again in January when it returns. Ramie is definetly a girl after my own heart.

Oh and by the way I have no clue who your celebrity trio but I am going to guess Josie and the pussycats. I know that is not who it is but I wanted to throw a guess out there.

Have a great day!

Michele

Hey Ashley!

I absolutely :love: the Lion King too! I fell in love with the movie first and then the Festival of the Lion King at AK and then the stage show. My mom and I camped out 3 years ago and got tickets for when it was here in PA. We had front row seats! I absolutely loved it and I am seeing it again in January when it returns. Ramie is definetly a girl after my own heart.

Oh and by the way I have no clue who your celebrity trio but I am going to guess Josie and the pussycats. I know that is not who it is but I wanted to throw a guess out there.

Have a great day!

Michele

Nope, not Josie & The Pussycats...but I love ya', so I'm going to give you the prize anyway!:mickeybar BTW, that is a Weight Watchers Mickey Bar--I ordered it special!;)

Okay, so the secret trio is.....

"Are you ready Simon?" "Ready!" "Are you ready Theodore?" "Ready!" "Are you ready Alvin?.....Alvin???? AL-VIN!!!!" "O-kay!"

It's The Chipmunks!
The Christmas song goes "Christmas, Christmas time is near! Time for fun and time for cheer!
We've been good, but we can't last. Hurry Christmas, hurry fast!
Want a plane that loooooops the loooop.
Me, I want a hula hoop!
We can hardly stand the wait!
Please Christmas, don't be late!"

Then in the late 70s/early 80s they released Chipmunk Punk, which was followed by Urban Chipmunk (during the Urban Cowboy years), and then Chipmunk Rock. I was too old for them, but my baby sister, who's almost 8 years younger was really into them! She had all the albums (for you youngsters, "albums" are black vinyl disks that played music), and the huge talking plush toys. And they came everywhere with us. Not the plush toys, I mean the actual Chipmunks. (Maybe we should have worked harder to find her some real friends....).

So The Chipmunks accompanied us to Disney Land when Courtney (yes, our names are Ashley and Courtney. My mom was so ahead of her time!) was 4 and I was 12. That was back in the days when imaginary friends flew free. I'm sure today the airlines would charge full fare.

Now, my dad & I rode the Matterhorn about a gazillion times that trip. At that time Disney still used the ticket system, so he must have spent a fortune on E tickets. My dad was one to give the full play-by-play (no genetic resemblance here...), so Mom & Courtney heard about the ride in detail over and over again, from the glowing red eyes to the irridescent crystal stalagmites to the point when the Abominable Snowman finally jumps up and scares everybody.

Courtney tried to tell us that she went on it with Simon, Alvin, & Theodore. She was only 4, so we humored her.

But the hysterical thing is, a year or so ago we were all together for some family celebration, and I was talking about the Matterhorn. Courtney (who is now 32) chimes in with "Oh, I know! It was so cool! Especially when he jumped out from behind the ice rocks!" :lmao: I'm like, "Courtney, my love, you didn't go on the Matterhorn." "Yes I did--I remember everything about it!" :rotfl2: "No, dear, you were only 4. You weren't tall enough. You went on Alice in Wonderland with Mom." I tell you she SWEARS she remembers going on that ride. I had to tease her--"Next time you see Alvin, Simon, & Theodore, ask them about it. They'll remember.":lmao:

Okay, so I've caught up on everything I said I'd do, which is a first! I've covered throwing up on Grandmother, what's in my closet, the special surprises I have planned for everyone, what Ramie likes even better than princesses, and our celebrity guests in Disney Land. It's nice to be caught up, at least in one area of my life.:thumbsup2 Especially since I'm about 12 loads behind on my:laundy:

So next time, maybe we'll put in some drama. For some reason, our trips are always marked by some kind of drama. The whole time I was growing up, I thought it was because of my dad, who was Clark Griswold, only cooler. But since I've grown up, I've begin to think maybe it's genetic.... So I think I'll share a story from our trip to DisneyLand that didn't actually happen at DL, but took place during that same vacation.

UP NEXT: Why are you playing in the beer?!?!?!?

I think it's time to edit my signature. All my cute little family smilies have dropped off. If you watch really closely, you can just barely see the top of Mason's Tigger as it bounces up and down. But I'm too sleepy to do it tonight, so it will have to wait until sometime tomorrow!

We have seen the Lion King musical twice, once in St. Louis at the Fox Theatre and once in Nashville at TPAC. Overall, I much enjoyed the St. Louis performance better (stage was MUCH larger), but either way I didn't make it out of the opening number without crying!:sad:

What an incredible show!!! I cannot wait until "The Little Mermaid" show starts traveling!!!

I had the Chipmunks country album! I still can't sing "Momma Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" without adding "chipmunks" after "Cowboys". Man, I was 11 when that album came out. How old am I anyway. I was like 20 yesterday!

Thanks for the memories!

I had the Chipmunks country album! I still can't sing "Momma Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys" without adding "chipmunks" after "Cowboys". Man, I was 11 when that album came out. How old am I anyway. I was like 20 yesterday!

Thanks for the memories!

Me too!--and then I have to add Dave's "Al-vin!"

"Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys."
"Chipmunks."
"Al-vin!"
:rotfl2:

I'll be listening to the radio & the DJ will say "This song was number one 25 years ago." and I'm like "Dude, I'm ooooold!" Which is sad, because there's never really been a time in my life when I've felt like a grown up who has it all together. I went from feeling like a kid who didn't know nuttin' bout nuttin', to having wrinkles! When did that happen?

I think it's time to edit my signature. All my cute little family smilies have dropped off. If you watch really closely, you can just barely see the top of Mason's Tigger as it bounces up and down. But I'm too sleepy to do it tonight, so it will have to wait until sometime tomorrow!

Oh, look! My family smilies are back...sort of...but you can only see the tops of their heads. It looks like what happens when we let my mom take the family pictures.;)

So the year is still 1979ish and my family has just wrapped up our visit to DisneyLand and are now on our way from Anaheim to San Diego (or Sandy Daygo, as Courtney called it). We must have gone to the park that day and left late, because it was really late when we finally got to our hotel. Courtney and I had both fallen asleep in the car on the way.

Now, it might be appropriate to mention at this point that there are several stories my family used to tell about me sleepwalking as a child. Not so much sleepwalking maybe--I didn't just get out of bed and walk around. It was more that they would wake me up, I would open my eyes and talk and interact to some extent, but never be awake and not remember a thing the next day. My grandmother (yes, that Grandmother) and grandfather used to tell about the time when I was about 4 or 5 that they woke me up because it was snowing (rare in Dallas), and they got me up, got me dressed, put on hat, gloves, scarf, coat, boots, and took me outside to play in the snow at like midnight. They even got pictures. Next day my parents come to pick me up, and Grandmother and Cecil are telling them all about me playing in the snow, and I'm like ":confused: ?" They're like, "You were out there for over an hour! You made a snowman!" :confused3 I remembered nothing--not even when they got the film developed and showed me the proof!

So back to Sandy Daygo. We pull into the parking lot and Mom & Dad get us out of the car. I don't remember this part, but what I do remember is that my Dad was carrying Courtney, who was 4, and all of a sudden he starts dancing. Now, my dad was known to put on a Rolling Stones album and do a pretty mean Mick Jagger routine using a Pierre Cardin bottle as a microphone in the living room, so I guess it didn't strike me as particularly odd that he was dancing in the parking lot, especially given that I was mostly asleep. I must have stood there watching him for a while. The next thing I remember is my mom calling, "Ashley, would you pick up the milk?"

Okay, that's the way it played out in my mind. Here's what really happened:

My dad had gotten Courtney out of the car and was carrying her in one arm, holding a carton of milk and his beer (before the days of open container laws) in the other hand. It's about 1:am, and out of nowhere this bee flies up to my dad and starts attacking him. My dad, who raced european sportscars as a hobby (Lolas and Tigas, if your interested), and had no fear of screaming around a track at over 150 mph, was terrified of bees.:scared1: So this bee is dive-bombing him, and he's jumping all over the place, swatting at the bee while trying not to drop Courtney or his beer. He failed at one of those efforts; which one? You'll find out in a minute.

So this bee flies up my dad's pants leg and down into his boot. You know that bees lose their stingers when they sting you, so they can only sting you once, right? Well, this was SUPERBEE!!! I guess that since he was in such close quarters, he had a hard time getting a really good sting, because that thing stung my dad three times! Meanwhile he's still dancing around, hitting his boot trying to kill the bee inside.

So as I'm standing there watching him "dance," my mom says to me, "Ashley, could you please pick up the milk?"

So I see what appears to be milk--it is a puddle of liquid, and it looks white-- and bend down to try futilely to scoop up this puddle in my hands for a few minutes, when my mom yells: "Ashley! Why are you playing in the beer?"

That was when I woke up, and I was like "What, so....this really happened?"

I guess the beer had foamed up when it spilled, because it sure the heck looked like a puddle of milk to me!

Up Next: How my Dad freaked a family out on POC!

Ashley

Thanks for my WW mickey bar even though I did not get the right answer. It hit me over the weekend when I was out Christmas shopping who the trio was and then I wanted to come post but I forgot! I knew it was Alvin & the chipmunks! Oh well maybe next time!

:love: the pretrippy report!

Michele

Ashley

Thanks for my WW mickey bar even though I did not get the right answer. It hit me over the weekend when I was out Christmas shopping who the trio was and then I wanted to come post but I forgot! I knew it was Alvin & the chipmunks! Oh well maybe next time!

:love: the pretrippy report!

Michele

You're welcome!:)

Saw the Chipmunks Christmas album at Target today & almost bought it...;) well, not really! $9.99, are you kidding me? That's $9.99 that could be goin' in the Disney Savings Bank!

Busy day today...tomorrow doesn't look any more sane:eek: ! This pre-trippie is probably going to be feeling unloved and neglected until next week sometime. I guess I should have hired someone to take care of it for me:dog2: , but all the good boarders are probably booked up for the holidays already.:sad2:

But you do remember that my dad loved a good practical joke, right (I mean, I'm permanantly scarred from the whole orangutan episode--so much so that I evidently can't tell a gorilla from an orangutan)? Well, that's pretty much where we're going next time...or should I say, where we be headed!pirate:

So I've already told you how my Dad loved a good practical joke. He once wore what we dubbed "the Ugly Man Mask"--the name sums it up--into a convenience store somewhere in New Mexico just to freak everyone out; it worked! We were on a ski trip, so he was wearing his winter coat, and he folded up the collar to cover half of his face. On the way in he passed a woman using the pay phone (remember those? For the younger crowd, they were phones with the handset attatched to the main body of the phone by a metal cord, and you would put coins in them to make a call). I swear, she dropped the receiver mid sentence and just stood there :eek: with her jaw hanging open. Once in the store, he just walked around real nonchalantly, picking up the things he needed, and there were people doing double takes and nearly jumping out of their skin all over the store. Of course, nowadays pulling a stunt like that could get you shot. Ah, the good ol' days....

So we have established that this was a man that loved to have a good laugh, particularly at someone else's expense. And as you already know from the whole gorilla incident, he wasn't about to rein himself in at the happiest place on earth!

Dad loved roller coasters & thrill rides, but when it came right down to it, Pirates of the Carribbeanpirate: was his all-time favorite. He absolutely loved it. But on this particular occasion, he found a way to make it even more enjoyable....for himself, anyway.

Mom & Courtney must have been off riding Peter Pan or something, because it was just me & Dad on POC this time. We had already ridden several times, so they must have filled their POC quota for the day. So we've just loaded into the boat, and this sweet, young couple had boarded in front of us, their 3-ish year old little girl between them, when the mother turns to the father and says quietly, "I hope this isn't too scary for her." Now, anyone else probably wouldn't have even overheard this. But nothin' got by my Dad. He waits a few seconds, then completely poker-faced he says to me, "Man, Ashley, this is my favorite ride! But I'm really surprised that they would put a drop like that on a family ride! I mean, it's gotta be a 20 or 30 foot drop!"

For you husbands out there, believe me when I tell you that you never want to be on the receiving end of the look that woman shot her husband:furious: ! But it was too late--the ride left the platform, and there was that father thinking he had just embarked on one of those "scar-your-child-for-life" moments. He looked like the kind of guy who would care about a thing like that, unlike my dad.

So we're off, and my dad can hardly contain himself. He keeps poking me & pointing to the couple in front like some 6th grade boy (no offense, if there are actually any 6th grade boys reading). Then, the moment came: the boat begin to drop, and those parents grabbed that child and screamed!:scared1: Now, if you have never ridden POC (for real?), you aren't in on the joke, so let me 'splain: Yes, there is a drop on POC. But it's about, oh, I dunno guys, whatdya' think? 2 feet? maybe 3? So Dad just busts out laughing, and that couple turned around and shot him, well, let's just say a look like that :mad: has no place in Disney World!

Well, I'm going through a very emotional time these days. For now let's just say that this trip to Disney World is more necessary than I could ever have realized when I first started planning it. But it's late, and that's another post for another day.

Til then, God bless us, every one!

Sign me up.
Title got my attention.
Then I noticed we are only a year apart (I am older so feel young)
First trip was also at 4 but in 1971
Love the Bible verse in your siggy
And, I also home school my two children (18 and 15)
Haven't read all yet. I'll catch up a little later.
Looking forward to some more reading.:surfweb:

So I've already told you how my Dad loved a good practical joke. He once wore what we dubbed "the Ugly Man Mask"--the name sums it up--into a convenience store somewhere in New Mexico just to freak everyone out; it worked! We were on a ski trip, so he was wearing his winter coat, and he folded up the collar to cover half of his face. On the way in he passed a woman using the pay phone (remember those? For the younger crowd, they were phones with the handset attatched to the main body of the phone by a metal cord, and you would put coins in them to make a call). I swear, she dropped the receiver mid sentence and just stood there :eek: with her jaw hanging open. Once in the store, he just walked around real nonchalantly, picking up the things he needed, and there were people doing double takes and nearly jumping out of their skin all over the store. Of course, nowadays pulling a stunt like that could get you shot. Ah, the good ol' days....

So we have established that this was a man that loved to have a good laugh, particularly at someone else's expense. And as you already know from the whole gorilla incident, he wasn't about to rein himself in at the happiest place on earth!

Dad loved roller coasters & thrill rides, but when it came right down to it, Pirates of the Carribbeanpirate: was his all-time favorite. He absolutely loved it. But on this particular occasion, he found a way to make it even more enjoyable....for himself, anyway.

Mom & Courtney must have been off riding Peter Pan or something, because it was just me & Dad on POC this time. We had already ridden several times, so they must have filled their POC quota for the day. So we've just loaded into the boat, and this sweet, young couple had boarded in front of us, their 3-ish year old little girl between them, when the mother turns to the father and says quietly, "I hope this isn't too scary for her." Now, anyone else probably wouldn't have even overheard this. But nothin' got by my Dad. He waits a few seconds, then completely poker-faced he says to me, "Man, Ashley, this is my favorite ride! But I'm really surprised that they would put a drop like that on a family ride! I mean, it's gotta be a 20 or 30 foot drop!"

For you husbands out there, believe me when I tell you that you never want to be on the receiving end of the look that woman shot her husband:furious: ! But it was too late--the ride left the platform, and there was that father thinking he had just embarked on one of those "scar-your-child-for-life" moments. He looked like the kind of guy who would care about a thing like that, unlike my dad.

So we're off, and my dad can hardly contain himself. He keeps poking me & pointing to the couple in front like some 6th grade boy (no offense, if there are actually any 6th grade boys reading). Then, the moment came: the boat begin to drop, and those parents grabbed that child and screamed!:scared1: Now, if you have never ridden POC (for real?), you aren't in on the joke, so let me 'splain: Yes, there is a drop on POC. But it's about, oh, I dunno guys, whatdya' think? 2 feet? maybe 3? So Dad just busts out laughing, and that couple turned around and shot him, well, let's just say a look like that :mad: has no place in Disney World!

Well, I'm going through a very emotional time these days. For now let's just say that this trip to Disney World is more necessary than I could ever have realized when I first started planning it. But it's late, and that's another post for another day.

Til then, God bless us, every one!

Stories of the immature men.....:thumbsup2

Hope all is well w/ you.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter