And a Wonderful First DCL Cruise It Was, 7/6-7/13/2015, Alaska (Completed 3/27/2016)

Day 4, Thursday, July 9, Skagway, Part 1

Would've loved to linger in bed this morning. Alas, we had booked our White Pass Yukon Pass Bus & Train excursion through Chilkoot Charters, and our meet time was set for 8:15, so we needed to get ready fast.

Immediately after booking our cruise, I was all about getting our excursions from DCL, because I was do NOT want to get left behind by a non-DCL vendor in case something goes wrong. But after reading various trip reports here and elsewhere, and verifying reviews on TripAdvisor, I learned that Chilkoot Charters is a reputable vendor. They offer smaller shuttle buses so you don't have to wait for a gazillion fellow passengers to assemble before you can depart for your excursion, and the shuttles stop along the way several times so you can take photos. After discussion it with hubby, we decided to book through them. The process was very easy. I found their website online, there were a few emails back and forth and perhaps even a phone call, and we were set.

Had pastries and bananas at Triton's (Tiago was our server today; he must've been good because I wrote down his name specifically in my journal), then we walked off the gangway and headed out to a parking lot nearby, where we were told to await our contact.

There were a bunch of airport-type shuttle buses waiting in the parking lot, but we weren't sure which one was ours. Very shortly thereafter a man walked up to us from one of the buses, so we asked whether he was with Chilkoot (perhaps he had a clipboard or a sign or something). He said he was, checked our name on my print out of the email from Chilkoot, and said we were on the list. Whew! My memory is a little fuzzy at this point, but I think we boarded the shuttle, and were driven to another shuttle a few minutes away. The second shuttle was what took us up to the mountains.

We got on the shuttle bus and were pleased to find the family of our pen pals K & B. DD, K, & B haven't spent too much time together; initially they just stared at each other and smiled shyly, but they warmed up to each other after a while. I think there were 12-15 people on our shuttle altogether. Our second driver, Stanley, lives locally and was excellent, providing us with history of Skagway and local sights along the way. We felt her narratives were very informative.

IMG_1578.png
One of the many waterfalls we saw along the way.

The shuttle bus was about an hour ride. We kept going up and up, and had 4 stops:
  1. Glacier water stream: The water is so pure you can drink it directly!
  2. "Welcome to Alaska" sign: Gotta get the obligatory family photo here!
  3. Desolate scene at the side of the road: There was a name for this place but I no longer recall what it is. This is where we were encouraged to stack rocks on top of one another due to some local custom.
  4. Bathroom break at Log Cabin (though this was an extra stop--the train was late so our guide took us a little further, then turned around and went back down to meet the train). Actually it was more of an outhouse as there was no plumbing. Plus there were a bunch of mosquitoes (see below)...
IMG_1605.png
The bridge was built where two earthquake fault lines intersect. One side is stable, while the other one is more flexible (definitely not the correct technical terms). It's so that if an earthquake were to hit, there would be room for the bridge to move back and forth.

IMG_1616.png
A random mountain scene.

Stanley dropped us off at the train station:

IMG_1631.png

For some reason, perhaps due to the trip reports I had read, I was expecting to sit in the caboose, at the end of the train, but our compartment, which has 12 rows of seats, was the one immediately behind the engine. The Chilkoot people all boarded early and got to sit down on the right side; we were at the very front. A couple more families joined the compartment and sat on the left. We waited about 15 minutes, then the train departed the station.

IMG_1640.png
A glacier atop a mountain.

IMG_1647.png
Desolate, weird rock formation.

IMG_1654.png
U.S. / Canada border.

IMG_1672.png
A old, dilapidated steel bridge.

IMG_1681.png
Coming down from the mountain. You can see the port of Skagway waaaayyyy in the distance, where there is a tiny light blue spot above the tree top on the left. That's the water.

Several people have since asked me whether I enjoyed the excursion. I'll be upfront and say my husband didn't think much of it. I, on the other hand, really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great way to see Alaska, to get a view of the different scenery--glaciers high up in the mountains, trees, lichen, fire flowers (the first weeds to sprout after forest fires), rock formations, waterfalls, where the fault lines intersect, etc. I had read all about it before and thought "So what?? A mountain is a mountain anywhere!" But to see them with my own eyes was quite a sight, I must say. It was also hear about the history of the Klondike gold rush, get a taste of the White Pass days, to imagine how these prospectors would've carried 2 tons of supplies from the American side over the Canadian border. It would've taken them 40 trips back and forth to get everything over. Incredible.

Overall I thought the Bus Up / Train Down excursion (or vice versa) is very worthwhile, because the bus guide had different stories to tell compared to the train guide (who was very good also; would've liked to give her some extra tip but didn't know how to find her, plus the kids were getting whiny during the last half hour of the train).

A few random tips here for those who plan to take this excursion:
  • The bus travels up a two-lane (?) road, and there are hills and valleys all along the way. It stops frequently for passengers to take photos at key spots.
  • If you take the bus up, sitting on the right is slightly better, but ultimately it doesn't really matter whether you ride on the left or right side because the bus is so small and you can easily look out the windows on either side.
  • Now, if you take the train up, the recommendation is to go on the LEFT side, because the passengers on the right will have a cliff out their window while those on the left will see the valley outside and get a better view.
  • For train down, sit on the right side.
  • Even if the forecast predicts a high of 70F, bring a raincoat or at least a windbreaker anyway. It gets cold and windy up at the summit. Wish I had known that--I only had on a hoodie and long-sleeve shirt, and I was cold...
  • Bring your bug spray! The day we were there, our tour guide said it was quite windy, which was good because the mosquitoes stayed away for the most part. But there were indeed droves of them when we went to an extra stop (Log Cabin), and I felt like a turtle, trying to shrink my neck into the opening of my shirt, in order to prevent them from biting me. I hurriedly returned to the shuttle but was alarmed to see a few of them followed us in there as well. I took our our insect wipes and wiped the whole family down. Even though it may have just been psychological, no one was bitten.
  • In terms of cell phone coverage, we had 5 bars via AT&T on the ship while in port and in downtown Skagway, but nothing once we were a few miles out into the mountains.
  • On the way down, after the second tunnel between 16-mile and 15-mile post, there were a small Mickey Mouse toy and a rattlesnke figure sitting on a random outcrop 7-8 feet away from the right side of the train! They passed by so quickly that I did not get a chance to take a photo of them.
  • Chilkoot provides bottled water at the end of the compartment on the train, and there was easy bathroom access.
  • The entire train ride was about 1 hour 45 minutes. DS8 and DD4 got a little whiny during the last half hour. It wasn't all from hunger because I kept giving them snack while on the train. Now that we've done this train ride we probably won't do it again in the future, but if we were to do it I would bring more activity books for the little ones.
We arrived back at the Wonder around 12:10 p.m.

IMG_1702.png

And it was off to lunch we went. Never estimate the power of hungry, whiny kids...

Day 4 to be continued later this week...

Last edited:
What was the Chilikoot bus like? Do we need carseats for our (on the small side) 3 and 4 year olds?

What was the Chilikoot bus like? Do we need carseats for our (on the small side) 3 and 4 year olds?

it was like one of those small commuter shuttles that seat about 20 or so:
IMG_1639.JPG

this was taken in skagway, and the chilkoot one is very similar to them in shape and size. DD4 did not use a carseat and we sat in the very first row. you might want to call chilkoot directly to see what alaska's carseat laws are and what they recommend.

Day 4, Thursday, July 9, Skagway, Part 2

We had lunch at Triton's. Our servers were Tiago from Portugal and Putu from Indonesia. Food was good but service was very slow (we didn't get our dessert until 1:40), unfortunately. My advice is to tell them in advance if you have to eat there but have time constraints. In our case, we needed to hurry so DD could go back to the room for her nap.

Here are three of the dishes we had:

IMG_1714.jpg

We took dropped of DS at the club, then DH and DD had a nap while I went off the Wonder. Ain't she a beauty? :)

IMG_1746.png

Walked around Skagway for an hour looking for souvenirs to buy for relatives back home, which I must say is my least favorite activities ever, right up there with scrubbing toilets. Why? Because you feel you have to get everyone something, wasting time and money. But we continue doing it because other family members do the same whenever they travel afar, so shampoo, lather, rinse, and repeat. Ugh. >:(

This is how far the ship is from town:

IMG_1774.png

As it was, I was unfruitful in my search. I checked out the glacier silt soaps that I've read about, but I wasn't sure if they were a good price ($7-$10/bar, depending on the store). There were also walrus teeth of various sizes, bone pendants, magnets with Alaskan themes (wolves, bears with salmon, totems, etc.).

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

Couldn't decide which ones DH's family might like, so I took photos of them all and planned to report back to DH so he could make a decision. The plan is to buy them at Juneau or Ketchikan. I also looked for some sort of Alaska-themed art for our own family, but did not see anything I liked.

After I returned to the ship, because I had promised a fellow DISer to take photos of art aboard the Wonder, I took the time to walk around various decks and snapped random pictures. It was a godo way for me to visit parts of the ship that I may otherwise not have visited, so I enjoyed this quite a bit. Thank you, @thndrmatt !

Here's Deck 4, all deserted now that there are no glaciers to be seen:

IMG_1761.png

And the chunk of iceberg the crew brought out from Tracy Arm:

IMG_1762.png

While walking through Shutters, I saw Belle in her bookworm (haha) costume with a book and walking thru. She waved and said hello to me, but I was too slow with the camera to get a good picture of her...

I picked up DS from the club at 4 as pre-arranged, then we went up to Deck 10 for a fun game of ping pong (his first time playing was either Day 2 or 3, with DH). I took a few photos while we were up there. We also enjoyed some soft serve. Wish I had done more of that too...

At 5 we woke up DD in time for her Anna & Elsa meet-and-greet at Studio Sea at 5:15. I loved that there were only two families waiting in front of us. The princesses took the time to kneel down to her level to chat for a minute, which I appreciated. So much more personal!

IMG_1788.png

After we came out of Studio Sea, we saw that Belle was in her ballroom costume, taking photos with another family:

IMG_1795.png

Then we saw Minnie in another corner of the atrium so we took photos with her as well. And hey, look, there's Cinderella waving at us from Deck 4 (or 5, can't remember), so we ran up there and got a hug and a photo with her too. Score! I love these impromptu meetings with no lines!

At 5:45 it was off to Animators' we went for dinner: Tonight I had a scallops appetizer, mushroom consummé, wild boar (was told by the waiters that the veal was no good so I stayed away), and mango mousse, the last of which was my absolute favorite dessert over the trip, because it was so light and yet flavorful at the same time:

IMG_1805.png

Our after-dinner entertainment tonight was "Inside Out", which we all enjoyed very much. Without spilling the plot, I like that it covered all the big emotions, and reinforced the idea that it's important to have sadness in your life, too, and when to ask for help.

After the movie, it was time for bed for the kiddies, then DH went to the shops to see what souvenirs were available there for us to purchase. And that was the end of Day 4 for us.

Last edited:

Day 3, Wednesday, July 8, Tracy Arm

They kept my fingers nice and warm, and I could quickly take the tops off to use the camera or do other things. Totally awesome! PM me if you want the exact name and where to buy 'em.

I am new to these boards and can not figure out to PM you. Could you please PM me the names of these gloves. TIA!

Thank you to the original poster. This information is very helpful. I am excited for our cruise this summer and trying to get as much information as possible.

(After a long, long hiatus, I've come out of couch potato mode and will take a stab at finishing this trip report for all those who are rubbing their hands in glee as they count down towards their Alaskan DCL trip this summer! Thank you for your patience. :) )

Day 5, Friday, July 10, Juneau

The sky was overcast when we opened the curtains this morning. There was kind of a low hanging fog hugging the hills of Juneau:

IMG_1855.png

We had breakfast at Parrot Cay. Our friendly waiter retrieve special gluten- & dairy-free donuts for DD, which should've completely wow'ed her, but she spotted cocoa Rice Krispies near the buffet line, and who can resist the power of chocolate, you know?

The Pixar Friends meet-and-greet was at 8:30, so we stopped by the atrium for some photo op:

IMG_1857.png

We were not scheduled to meet with our whale-watching excursion tour until 10:20 a.m., so our original plan was to take the Mt. Roberts tram to get a view of the harbor, but we nixed that idea due to the fog. Instead, we had a leisurely morning hanging about the ship. Chatted with a friend from our FE group who lived a few doors down, delivered some extra FE gifts to our penpals, and got some questions answered at Guest Services. At one point we looked upstairs from the atritum and saw that Mickey and Minnie were wearing their Alaskan garb and hanging out on Deck 3, so we rushed up there and got some photos with them. Score! After that we went to Deck 4 to get a view of the outside--hey, the fog had lifted, which means we could've taken the tram after all had we hurried up and gotten off the ship. Oh well. Guess they weren't kidding when they said, "If you don't like the weather in Alaska, just wait 20 minutes."

It had started to drizzle (what did I just say about the weather?) when we got off the ship at 10:20. Good thing we were all wearing our rain coats. There were several other parties from our cruise group who also opted to take the same whale watching tour with Harv & Marv's, so we milled about off the gangway, waiting for everyone to show up. After about 10 minutes, our driver John came by to retrieve our group. We followed him to our shuttle and got on our way.

Enroute to our whale-watching ship, he told us about various sights and places of note. As he drove by the governor's house, he said, "That may or may not have been where Sarah Palin said she could see Russia." Someone immediately snapped from the back of the bus: "She did NOT say that." I chuckled to myself when I heard that snarky remark. ;) The bus passed by several bald eagles, but it was raining so I couldn't get very good pictures of them. Here's one for you to see the raindrops on the window (and the eagle):

IMG_1870.png

At 11:10 we arrived at Auke Bay to take our boat. Our captain was Jan. She was a little reserved for the first 10 minutes or so after she started the engine and got us out of the harbor. She became more chatty after that, however, and said she was initially quiet because she needed to concentrate due to the fog. She pointed out an eagle's nest on a tree as we left the harbor.

Based on the time stamp on my photos, it looks like we spotted our first whale at 11:54:

IMG_1878.png

Do you see it? It's a humpback whale that's making that puff of air in the middle of the picture (a little to the right). I know the picture doesn't look like much, but it was very exciting!!!

We saw one or two more after that. There were several whale-watching boats all around us; the captains would talk to each other on their radios to find out where the whales were, which was very helpful.

DS, who should've been looking out the window all this time, spotted a book about marine mammals in the back pocket of the captain's chair, and, being the bookworm that he is, decided to bury his head in it and read. He only looked up whenever we called out, "Look, there's another whale!!!" The boat had been bobbing up and down fairly hard because we would travel in another boat's wake. About 30 minutes into the trip, Capt. Jan looked over at where he was sitting and said, "Hmm, your son is lookin' kinda green over there." We rushed over, and sure enough, DS was like, "Um, I don't feel so good..." We hurriedly took him to the outside area at the back of the boat and made him look at the horizon so he could get his bearings. Then we realized the kids hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast, so they were probably starving, which didn't help with the dizziness. We gave DS some pretzels and Vienna sausages; the salt in them helped to calm his stomach. DD got some snacks as well. Pretty soon DS bounced back, but we made him put the captain's book away. ;) He became really animated when the captain engaged him with talks of animals.

We then headed towards the famous buoy where the sea lions hang out and got the obligatory photo:

IMG_1888.png

After hearing about a pod of whales in another area, the captain steered the ship towards that spot, and we saw four whales in the waves on and off. Capt. Jan turned off the engine, so we were just bobbing up and down in the water. It was nice and quiet, finally. The whales swam near us, and we took more photos, none of which was that great. I'm sure you'll get better pictures from other trip reports, so I'll spare you here. ;)

Capt. Jan sped back to the harbor around 1:10, where our previous driver John picked us up. He drove us to Mendenhall Glacier, where we stopped for photos for 10-15 minutes:

IMG_1920.png

Then it was a 30-minute drive back to town. Two families got off at Tracy's for lunch, but we stayed on the bus so we could return to the ship for DD's nap. She was down by 3 p.m.

I went out to get food from Deck 9 for DH & DS, then dropped off laundry to wash because we had been traveling for almost a week. There is a laundry room conveniently located at the back of Deck 7 starboard, not too far from our stateroom. I then hung out at Cove Café for half an hour before heading back to the laundry room. No dryer was available, so I took the heavy load back to our room.

A word about pop-up laundry hampers: You should totally get one! Ours folded flat and lived at the bottom of our suitcase. When we got into our stateroom, I popped it up, and it hung out in the closet swallowing all our dirty laundry, then I carried our stuff to the laundry room and back w/o any problems.

I returned to the room to retrieve the kids as we wanted to go to the Pixar Pals party at 4:30. Alas, DD was still asleep after the long excursion, so we decided to skip the party as they already took photos with Pixar Friends this morning.

DD finally got up (or maybe we woke up her). DH bathed her, followed by DS' shower. I went back to the laundry room, found an empty dryer, then put in our stuff. While there, I swear I saw a man who looked like Woody Harrelson. He was very friendly, and I said hello, but was too shy to ask, "Say, are you Mr. Harrelson??" Because it was probably not him--I mean, would someone like him need to do his laundry? Wouldn't he have minions to do such a thing, you know?

After half an hour, while DH, DS, and DD got ready, I went back to the dryer to get our stuff, then I met them down at Parrot Cay for dinner. This time I asked for the next day's dinner menu earlier in the meal, so that we wouldn't have to wait and wait and wait until the end of our meal in order to order DD's dishes for the next dinner.

And here's a sample of our dishes:

IMG_1939.png

IMG_1946.png

IMG_1947.png

We finished dinner and left the restaurant around 7:40, but ended up having to wait outside because DS ran off with the boy at our table and went exploring the ship somewhere. I was a little worried because we keep him on a pretty tight leash back home, and I kicked myself for not setting clear rules with him while being on the ship. Will definitely need to talk to him upon his return, I told myself. Thankfully he turned up after 10 minutes.

We headed to the atrium for family photos. We had pre-purchased the photo pacakge so I thought we better get our money's worth! (Please excuse me if I had already mentioned this above somewhere; this is what happens when I write the trip report six months after I wrote about the first four days...)

We went back to the stateroom to change into something more comfortable (it was semi-formal night tonight), but DD liked wearing her new navy dress, so she kept them on. And off we went to the "Toy Story Musical" at 8:30. As was the case with previous nights, this show was very entertaining and we all loved it.

We got back to the room at 9:30. Because several in our cruise group had planned to meet up, I hurriedly put the kids to bed, then went to Cadillac Lounge to meet the other ladies (and their hubbies; my own hubby stayed behind to watch the kiddies). There were 5-6 couples, if I recall correctly. The ladies chatted about our excursions while the men talked football. It was a very fun group. Three of the families have kids who had been exchanging letters with DS and DD for the past few months, so it was nice to chat with the moms in person, after sending PMs on the other social media site back and forth since February.

One couple and I left around midnight; the others stayed until 1, I think they said. I went back to the stateroom to get our semi-dry laundry, put them in the dryer again for a second round. Came back and chatted with DH until 12:35, then I retrieved the clothes, we folded them together, I wrote a simple version of the above in my laptop, then it was off to bed.

so yeah, @MickeyD74 , like what others told you above, just make 3 more posts in the test board and i'll be able to PM you. :)
Thank you for posting more of your your trip and also your navigators (I found them last nigth!). I am excited to read it!! Such great info. I am hoping to be able to PM you, I think this is my 15th post.

Last edited:
yes, i've procrastinated long enough!

got the hamper idea here somewhere, and now we take it with us whenever we travel.
We have two. One for the lights and one for the darks, so we sort the clothes as we go. We washed clothes on our Alaskan cruise day 1 (we had been traveling for six days already) and then latter on around day 5. It was nice to come home with some clean clothes.

I just found your TR today! I'm glad you took a little break because now I can be around for the last couple days. I'm on the July 4 sailing this year and we're doing very similar to you, coming on a few days early. We don't have kids though, it's me and my partner, and we're treating my parents to this cruise.

I've already learned so much, like 2nd night is likely formal night, 5th probably semi formal. Also great to know that Tracy Arm day is another one that Palo Brunch is offered. Thanks for telling us how the ship rotated so both sides could see the glacier. We are at the very back of deck 7 in a room we have sailed in several times before and will probably enjoy this from our verandah instead of fighting the crowds. Our group on that social media site is talking about organizing an excursion through Harv and Marv. I need to look into what else there is that day. It sounded like a good one!

You have me curious. I'm from Long Beach, CA. You said that you have lots of haute cuisine nearby where you live, where are you from? Napa Valley? Palm Springs? Santa Barbara? Just curious, I tend to consider myself a foodie ad well, but I rank Palo way up there on the list.

Oh yeah. ETA: We always travel with one of those hampers as well. So convenient! On short trips I just put it in the suitcase to do laundry at home, but mostly we do our laundry halfway through the trip to save on packing.

Looking forward to the last few days!

Enjoying your report, great job so far can't wait to read more..

We are going on this cruise In July 2016 and can't wait. It seems such a long time but I'm sure it will go by quick.

What day do you sail? We are on the July 4th cruise.

Our group on that social media site is talking about organizing an excursion through Harv and Marv. I need to look into what else there is that day. It sounded like a good one!

we enjoyed our excursion with harv & marv very much. several folks from our cruise group raved about their helicopter ride to the glacier, so do look into that if it's your cup of tea. we're saving that for our next trip, when the kids are a little older. :)

You have me curious. I'm from Long Beach, CA. You said that you have lots of haute cuisine nearby where you live, where are you from? Napa Valley? Palm Springs? Santa Barbara? Just curious, I tend to consider myself a foodie ad well, but I rank Palo way up there on the list.

i'm from the s.f. bay area and have been to most of the 3-michelin starred places around here, as well as some of the 2- and 1-star ones. for me, palo is certainly better than the MDRs, but it's not as refined as the michelin-starred ones. our waiter sasha was very attentive without being intrusive, and i thank my fellow DISers for recommending him. i like the selection of the brunch buffet, but not every single item was top-notch. some of the dishes were good but not great, just missing a little something. my pasta dish was tasty but not special. it didn't wow me. not foodgasmic, if that makes sense.

having said all that, food is very subjective. if you enjoy palo, that's all that really matters. we will do palo brunch again in the future. i will write about our palo dinner experience on day 6, and shall look forward to trying remy on our next cruise.

We always travel with one of those hampers as well. So convenient! On short trips I just put it in the suitcase to do laundry at home, but mostly we do our laundry halfway through the trip to save on packing.

great minds think alike! ;)

i'm from the s.f. bay area and have been to most of the 3-michelin starred places around here, as well as some of the 2- and 1-star ones. for me, palo is certainly better than the MDRs, but it's not as refined as the michelin-starred ones.

Nice. I grew up in Saratoga but moved to So Cal for college and never came back. My parent moved to San Jose three years ago so we still go visit but we've never checked out Michelin restaurants although we do enjoy good food. That could be an interesting challenge as we have mostly relyed on Zagat or Yelp in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter