Analyzing the return of early entry

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
I don't know if anyone thought this was interesting or not, but did anyone catch how they changed early entry? Here's a couple things that caught my eye:

1. adding AK to the mix -granted, moving opening from 9 to 8 is only a return to normal operating hours, but for the first few years, AK was not a part of EE. Could this be a commentary on how AK is doing attendance-wise?

2. MK is moved from 3 to 2 times - given that this is the one I think everyone wanted the most, I find this to be interesting, but understandable I suppose if the intention is to use EE to help support more-needy parks. I also agree w. others that it is a great idea to move the MK EE day off of saturday during off season, given the parade & fireworks crowd issue.

3. epcot only gets on EE - let's be honest, does it even need one? I would understand revisiting this once mission space opens, but other than TT, what else is there that justifies early entry.

So those are my thoughts - what do you think?

On point one... I'm going to take a guess and say AK's attendance has improved marginally, relative to the other parks, due to the parade and DR (this may just mean it hasn't fallen by as much of a % as the other three). Also, folks seem to want to go here early, under the belief they will see more animals, and probably because of the heat in the afternoon. So, give AK an early entry day to boost its still disappointing (probably) attendance, keep the early animal folks happy.

On point two... I think they tried to schedule it to balance the crowds and agree its a good idea.

On point three... You're probably right about Epcot. But we have to keep in mind why they are bringing back EE at all. Honestly, its probably not really needed at all right now (from a theme park touring point of view). But part of the reason its not needed is that attendance is so low. One of the reasons attendance is low is because of the cuts, including EE. Vicious circle.

Also, I read somewhere else that WDW is getting killed on its resort bookings by Universal, on a percentage basis. Regardless of whether a guest really NEEDS EE right now, they WANT it to justify staying on-site.

I am breaking my stay up this time. One day at HRH and 6 at AKL. One day may not seem like much, but that translates to 2 park days at universal and not at disney plus the food etc. Plus if I like the HR hotel, it may be more next year. I almost did not stay at a disney resort at all due to lack of EE, but habit and low rates got me to sign up.

Of course in the end, I really don't care WHY they brought EE back, I just very glad that they did. With EE, I there is no question if I will stay on-site-just what disney resort to pick this time.

Glad to see that there are a few other analytical minds out there that noticed the EE changes. ;) I could see giving AK one EE, but two? It could be to help boost the weak attendance numbers, as previously mentioned. But I was also wondering about the required manpower to run each of the parks...Could this be their way of appeasing the masses by bringing back EE, yet trying to do it in the most cost-effective way possible? Does it take fewer CM's to open AK an hour early vs. MK, for instance? Just curious, especially since "cut-backs" seems to have been the corporate mantra for the past year.

The other thing I kind of had to chuckle at was the change in name--from "Early Entry" to "Extra Magic Hour". Is this supposed to make it look like a fresh new idea, rather than just a reinstatement of good ole EE that everyone has been clamoring for? Don't get me wrong, I'm THRILLED to have EE back and will make good use of it. This just struck me funny for some reason! :p

The actual benefits of EE to park visitors are , IMHO, limited. It doesn't really make much difference to the park's attendance figures but what it does do is encourage people to stay on site because they feel there is a tangable benefit/perk to doing so. I agree with Dana that it's probably a lot cheaper to run an EE at AK than MK which is why AK is included ( the attendance figures alone don't justify/require it).

IMHO it's all about maximising the attraction of staying at WDW hotels, once you have people staying on WDW it's a lot easier to keep them there (spending money) than it is attracting people from off site.

Again, I'm pleased to see the return of EE, I think Disney has to offer perks that can't be matched by off site organisations and EE is one of the biggest and most visible perk they can offer.

I think the funny thing is that people here on the rumors board figured out months ago that eliminating EE would affect resort bookings, if that really is the reason they are bringing it back.

I think it is.

first, some quick replies:

1. As to it being "cheaper" to do EE at AK than MK, it has to be given that the number of attractions open at EE for MK (if they keep it the same as before) is greater than the total # of attractions at AK!!!

2. as far as the name change, if my memory is correct (its been so long since we had EE!! :D :D :D )wasn't the old early entry 90 minutes before opening, and now we're getting 60 minutes? Again, I am not complaining, just pointing something out.

now, on a different subject, has anyone heard what will actually be open early? I can't imagine how they could change how things at MGM and EPCOT from how they were before. As far as MK goes, I think keeping fantasyland open is a no-brainer, but would it surprise anyone if they kept tomorrowland closed down? Finally, what about AK? you would think KS has to be part of it, maybe KS and dinoland?

. epcot only gets on EE - let's be honest, does it even need one? I would understand revisiting this once mission space opens, but other than TT, what else is there that justifies early entry.

I think it's great to get on TT. When we went in April, for 2 weeks over Easter, we went at park open. by the time we got to TT once the FP were gone and other times they were for 8 at night-lol! So I think the EE at Epcot is great, especially with Mission Space coming soon. The reason you gave is probably why they only have it 1 day a week.

The other cool thing about Epcot EE is, if you'e staying at an Epcot area resort, it gives you an alternate way of getting to the MK at opening time. Enter via the International Gateway at 7:30, ride Test Track or Spaceship Earth, then stroll out the main gate and take the two monorail rides (or monorail + ferry) to the MK.

The return of EE is a major plus IMHO. Anything that increases the time we can spend in the parks is good.
But if they only had Fanastyland open and less attractions at MGM then they wouldnt be returning EE only a lite version of it.They are already to a degree as i remember it being 1 1/2 hrs. To me you have to have KS open during EE as at is the marque attraction in the park IMHO. I think AK having EE 2 times is to save money as their attractions will be less labor intensive than MK unless they open a good portion of the park.

I definitely can see why you would want EE at Animal Kingdom. I think until they come up with either indoor or night oriented animal attractions they need to concede that no one wants to be in AK in the late afternoon. The park should be open from 8 to 5.

EPCOT...interesting question. In January it was the first place I went from the airport and there was no one there (it was before noon). I love EPCOT and I think they could do better with it even without adding an E-ticket. One easy add-on (that they won't do) would be to add animal husbandry. It isn't a kids playground yet the kids would be interested. Get some of the big agricultural organizations in on it...beef, dairy, pork, poultry, ostrich, sheep, horses, pet breeders...even bees. Rotate different ones in and out for a month so you don't have the same "show" but you use the same pavilion.

More street performers from each country...I think I've seen all the shows that they have and would like to see something new.

Its still educational yet kid friendly.

But...truth be told I'd rather see the World Showcase open an hour earlier...maybe serve a late breakfast than have EE for Epcot.

Originally posted by danacath
The other thing I kind of had to chuckle at was the change in name--from "Early Entry" to "Extra Magic Hour". Is this supposed to make it look like a fresh new idea, rather than just a reinstatement of good ole EE that everyone has been clamoring for? Don't get me wrong, I'm THRILLED to have EE back and will make good use of it. This just struck me funny for some reason! :p

Just a minor point, but, if memory serves, I believe early-entry went by the name of "Surprise Mornings" when it was cut, so the name had been changed at least once before. Probably for the reason you cite -- give something a new name and people will think they are getting something fresh and different.

BTW - I'm thrilled that EE, SM, MH, whatever, is back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter