Anaheim Yellow Cab- An AdA issue that needs Awareness

MoonPrincess25

Earning My Ears
Back in 2013, my family and I stayed at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel and had a wonderful Disneyland Resort Vacation. But then when it came time to go home, we were told that if we needed a handicap accessible van of a taxi, we needed to call 24 hours in advance. We did. Three times, we did not receive the correct vehicle. The last cab driver that came our way said this " The company refuses to use the accessible vans because they cost too much money. " Because we couldn't find information to back this up, this is unfortunately hearsay.

However, essentially the same events have happened three years later. Has anyone else in the Disabled Community needed a wheelchair accessible van for a taxi around Disneyland Resort Hotels or even anywhere in California and has been suspiciously denied that? I would be much appreciated to hear your experiences!

I write in more details about these two incidents on my blog on my life with disability, www.laurasadventuresonwheels.wordpress.com

I believe the company we used was Roadrunner. They were perfect - took my scooter, rollator, & bath bench with no issues. We used them for two trips. They were also on time - and the drivers were polite!!!!!

Unfortunately, if you have unusual needs such as an extra large vehicle for a large family or a handicapped van, you will need to allow more time to be able to come up with alternate solutions in case some problem happens.

(Philosophical question only) How well does Uber and Lyft serve the handicapped community?

Did you report the incident to the taxi company afterwards? What the driver said about the handicapped van being too expensive to drive does not count, all that counts is is failing to transport you.

Have your advised your hotel (and perhaps others) of the problem? Would hotels be willing to post the names of handicapped friendly transport services?

Have you put reviews in Tripadvisor and other blogs?

How must the taxi driver have felt when he got there and had to go away fareless? Or did he try to figure out some way to transport you?

Last edited:
I don't believe that the ADA requires all taxi companies to have wheelchair accessible vehicles. State laws might, I'm not sure.

To SeashoreCm,

Firstly, my family and I were immediately made aware that we needed extra time to receive transportation suited towards our needs. We did this. Our needs were not met.

Secondly, philosophical or no, I have never used an Uber or Lyft. I couldn't give you an appropriate answer on this.

Thirdly. Anaheim Yellow Cab has the accessible vehicles, they just refused to used them. In 2013, Disney had to break with their contract to get us a handicap accessible vehicle. In this 2016 instance, the manager working on our side attempted to do the same thing but time was running short. My mother was forced to transfer me into the front seat of a van, which is higher than an a average transfer for me, causing her heart to skip beats and my person pain.

Fourthly, everything is being put into writing and will be sent to the appropriate parties.

To Our Big Trip,

There is a grain of truth to what you say- I found this.
" A taxi service is not required to purchase vehicles other than sedan–type automobiles in order to add accessible vehicles to its fleet and it is not required to purchase vehicles other than sedan- type automobiles in order to have a number of accessible vehicles in its fleet. Under the ADA, no private company entity is required to purchase an accessible sedan-type automobile. "

However, there is also this. The city of Anaheim requires a transportation fleet of 5% of their vehicles to be handicap accessible.

One way or another, something here has gone amiss. And I am determined to bring awareness to it!

Last edited:
I do not think that the solution of allowing even more time for this part of the journey can ever be improved upon.

If one plan fails then time is needed to invoke another plan.

Magical Express works so well because Disney has a lot of control over it. At other locations, you have to rely on other private services that are not as predictable.

Even non-handicapped folks have ended up with problems such as car services not showing up, problems that are also avoided by planning more time. Or planes and trains are delayed or cancelled resulting in spoiled plans at their destinations

Legal or contractual problems with unprepared taxi drivers showing up and then having to leave empty are really behind the scenes from the guest's point pf voew

Last edited:
To SeashoreCm,

Firstly, my family and I were immediately made aware that we needed extra time to receive transportation suited towards our needs. We did this. Our needs were not met.

Secondly, philosophical or no, I have never used an Uber or Lyft. I couldn't give you an appropriate answer on this.

Thirdly. Anaheim Yellow Cab has the accessible vehicles, they just refused to used them. In 2013, Disney had to break with their contract to get us a handicap accessible vehicle. In this 2016 instance, the manager working on our side attempted to do the same thing but time was running short. My mother was forced to transfer me into the front seat of a van, which is higher than an a average transfer for me, causing her heart to skip beats and my person pain.

Fourthly, everything is being put into writing and will be sent to the appropriate parties.

To Our Big Trip,

There is a grain of truth to what you say- I found this.
" A taxi service is not required to purchase vehicles other than sedan–type automobiles in order to add accessible vehicles to its fleet and it is not required to purchase vehicles other than sedan- type automobiles in order to have a number of accessible vehicles in its fleet. Under the ADA, no private company entity is required to purchase an accessible sedan-type automobile. "

However, there is also this. The city of Anaheim requires a transportation fleet of 5% of their vehicles to be handicap accessible.

One way or another, something here has gone amiss. And I am determined to bring awareness to it!

A taxi company isn't a transportation fleet. I believe that refers to shuttles (like ME/Mears), etc. That's why the verbiage and rule is different in your two paragraphs.

Did you contact the city of Annaheim to file a complaint against the company? Did you contact the California or US Attorney General to file a discrimination complaint? The best awareness is to make sure they comply by complaining to the groups that handle their licensing.

ETA: I checked out your blog. My daughter and I have also have JA and my name is Laura. Nice to "meet" you.

Last edited:
I haven't read the OP's link because I'm not interested in giving a click to what appears to be an attempt to organize a lawsuit. Anaheim is not the only cab company in the resort area, so after having the experience once, I would have tried another option.

As far as Uber and Lyft, they're being sued in multiple states for incidents like leaving a passenger because her wheelchair didn't fit in the trunk or refusing to transport service dogs. The best option for an accessible van is probably to try something like ACCESS paratransit, which is available in Orange County.

You heard from the taxi driver that they refused to use them, but that's not proof. Could be that they were already booked and not available, etc. How about the city transit system? That should have access. here in MA its called "The Ride"

If the taxi company was not prepared, ready, and willing to send a handicapped vehicle it should have told the caller right away rather than send an inadequate vehicle.

Guests need to be more proactive and resorts need to be more cooperative about identifying, favoring, and using handicapped friendly services when needed.

Disney did not break contract by calling a different company. Anaheim Yellow Cab broke the contract by accepting the handicapped person's call and failing to transport her.

Put it simply, AYC has demonstrated itself to be unreliable.

Last edited:
PrideMom,
The city of Anaheim is on our list to forward our complaint to. As for your second comment, thank you for reading! Laura is a good name to have and it's a small world after all isn't it?It's nice to "meet" you too!

To everyone else,
I suppose my main point here is; Disney offers a service to all their guests. Yet that company contracted with that particular service is , wether intentionally and or unintentionally, is discriminating against Disabled guests ( and it is possible to unintentionally discriminate as the ADA is an awareness based Law system)

My family and I remained silent about this back in 2013 which was wrong and we cannot remain silent a second time. Plainly put, this was a vulnerable situation that should not have happened, especially twice. I thank you all for your thoughts and time!

Last edited:
Also, To SMD

I am twenty eight years old. I have lived with an autoimmune Disease for twenty three of those years. I've been in a wheelchair for about half that time. Why? Because my left hip was broken when I was nine years old because the handicap school bus of my school district did not tie me down properly and did my family sue the school? No, they tried to sue us though. My family and I have lived through this and more with integrity and grace. And this link as you call it is basically about just that and you're accusing me of attempting to start a lawsuit! I came to the Disboards by suggestion of a loved one. Not only to tell my story but to ask out of concern if anyone has gone through this... and you are making accusations. Nice.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter