An Open Pre-Trip Report: Who Will Be At The Fort The Last Week of March 2014?

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
We are checking into the Fort on Saturday March 22 and I've been following the board and noted that there are many folks who will be there the last week of March. I'm so behind on getting ready because I have been committed for the last few Saturdays all day so my prep work has lagged. But I'm excited about our trip.

I invite anyone who will be at the Fort then to also post their pre-trip planning and activities in this thread if you wish. Also, those of you who will be there then, let us know your dates and I will keep a short list updated here in post #1 with any details you wish to share. I met 4 DISsers on my last trip as schedules permitted and it was a rewarding experience. On a Disney vacation it's always hard to get around to meet and greet what with different schedules but I would like to give it a shot. I'll have my green ears sign with my DIS name in front of the popup. And I hope ya'll get around to meet each other.

List: (who / arrives / site type)

Jaredjohn4 / Sat March 22 / Premium (requested 1300) popup
Cousineddie / Sat March 22 / Premium trailer vintage Airstream
Tilyeea / Sat March 22 / Full trailer Jayco 23b
WeCamp2 / Sat March 22 / Premium (requested 400/700) RV
Estherhead / Mon March 24 / Preferred (requested 100/200) trailer rental
Camping Dad / Thu March 20 / Premium (requested loop 600) Crosswoods Cruiser 30sk 5th wheel
Jets70 / Fri March 28 / Preferred (requested 200) Craftsman's Wood Trailer
Libba / Sun March 23 / Denali 5th wheel
Mommyof3grlz / Tue March 25 / Tent (requested 1500) popup rental
Amandas4 / Sat March 22 / Tent (loop 1500 or 2000) popup rental
Fynook12 / Mon March 24 / Cabin
Jeepin Dad / Sat March 22 / Preferred (requested 100) trailer Fun Finder X240
Bama Ed / Sat March 22 / Preferred (requested 100) trailer Jayco 12HW popup

This weekend I plan to roll the popup out of the garage and set it up to see what needs done. I usually put the sheets on the bed, wipe down the counters and fridge interior, perform any maintenance needed, and check tire pressure.

I also have all the parts to make the Mickey light globe but I have already cracked one of the big 12" white globes that make up the head so I had to reorder another and that set me back schedule-wise (sorry Gary-I'm great in the kitchen but not a very good handyman).

So who else will be there then? Let's get this party started!
party: :dancer: :jumping1: :disrocks:

Bama Ed

We get there the 22nd and leave on the 28th, we have requested the 100 loop. We will be towing our Fun Finder X240 down from Pennsylvania, it'll be our first trip to the fort.

This weekend I'll be working on getting the truck ready. Today I picked up new brake pads, an air filter and supplies to change the oil.

I'll also inventory our supplies to see what we need to restock.

Over the next couple weeks I'm hoping it will warm up enough so the snow banks in front of the trailer will melt so I don't have to shovel and I can de-winterize the water system. It would also be nice to give it a good wash before we head down.

-Peter, Wendy and our two Lost Boys

Ed, Sorry we won't be there this year. Grandkids coming, so we may run to Gatlinburg for a couple days. Hope you have a great trip. We got our chair lift put on last weekend in Mobile, so we're set for wherever and whenever we go.

And Folks, Ed will likely have that big obnoxious red flag at his campsite, so you can't miss him. War Eagle! :yay:

:grouphug: ....sigh.....something about dreaming of Fort and reading trip plans just ma me blissfully happy! Safe and happy trips for ya' ll and some
pixiedust:

Our trip is in oct but retired n happy.....I will make sure we have our orange n blue flag with us!!!! My hubby went there for 8 yrs he loved it so much:rotfl2
(Vet!)

Hey bama_ed!! Just wanted to "join the party"! lol...My family and I will be at the Fort from March 24th-30th!! Staying in a cabin. Would love to meet some of my fellow DISers!! It will be me and my DH and our 3 kids. Sara, 13/ Ben, 11/ Christian, 9. As far as plans are concerned we have a few set in place. Monday our day of arrival we plan to take it easy and have dinner at cape may café planned. Then the following day is another "take it easy day" so we can explore the Ft. We have hoop dee doo planned for that night. After that its 1 park a day for the next 4 days!! Sunday sadly we leave but proably not until afternoon so we can spend our last precious hours at WDW in the pool!! I will have the green mickey ears put up somewhere on our cabin property so hope to be able to meet some of you guys and your families!! Take Care!! C U soon at WDW!!!!

We check in on the 22nd! We'll be at the fort till the 25th. We originally planned on tent camping so we got one of the cheapest sites, now we are renting a pop-up. We'll be in the 2000 loop, or 1500.
Right now we are not doing anything at all to get ready because we all have the flu. its been very unpleasant at our house for the last couple of days.
:sick::sick::sick:

Right now we are not doing anything at all to get ready because we all have the flu. its been very unpleasant at our house for the last couple of days.

Sorry you guys aren't feeling well, hopefully you all feel better by the time you head to Disney.

And Folks, Ed will likely have that big obnoxious red flag at his campsite, so you can't miss him. War Eagle! :yay:

Ken, sorry we won't overlap visits this go-around.

However, I do want to put your mind at ease and let you know that the world (especially the Texas, LSU, and Notre Dame fans along with Auburn fans) knows it as "crimson" colored and yes, my feather will be at the Fort. This is what it looks like (from behind loop 1500 in 2009):

Seriously, though, Ken-Dude: red? There are more that 8 colors in the crayon box. Or is that considered graduate work on the Plains? ;)

Our trip is in oct but retired n happy.....I will make sure we have our orange n blue flag with us!!!! My hubby went there for 8 yrs he loved it so much:rotfl2: (Vet!)

Honestly, MMLady, I'd like to see an Auburn feather. You must be proud of DH coming SOOO close to getting his undergraduate degree. But since there can't be a gif of Gus as Head Coach doing the crystal ball dance after last season, I'll loan you one of mine.

Hey bama_ed!! Just wanted to "join the party"! lol...My family and I will be at the Fort from March 24th-30th!! Staying in a cabin. Would love to meet some of my fellow DISers!!

Jennifer, hope to meet you too. I'm working with a preliminary calendar - it's set (much against my wishes) but it might change closer to visit. I intend to do a live Trip Report so that will be more detailed.

I usually do the camping loops when at the Fort but to be honest I don't loop the cabins because they all look the same and by their nature folks are inside more if they're there. But let us know if you can what cabin/loop you are in. And I'll find a green DIS sign if there is one.

We will make this work!

We check in on the 22nd! We'll be at the fort till the 25th. We originally planned on tent camping so we got one of the cheapest sites, now we are renting a pop-up. We'll be in the 2000 loop, or 1500.

Well Amandas4, sorry to hear that. But better to get the sickness behind you. One time years ago in the cabins, we had sick kids and one parent stayed in the cabin while the other took the non-sickos to the park. Hated the split experience. I hope you like the popup (I have one obviously). It's enough protection and stability but yet you can still get that outdoor experience.

Yea! Who else is out there?

Bama ED

Checking in Tuesday, March 25-Sunday March 30. There will be my husband, myself, our 3 daughters, and 4 of their friends...girls ranging in age from 20 down to 13! We are renting a pop-up camper from fortcamperrentals! My husband and I are taking a small tent for ourselves. Can't wait! This trip is to celebrate my 18 year old's high school graduation this May!

Checking in March 23 and back home on March 28th. No specific loop requested but we have a fifth wheel and I will post our location after arrival! How fun that there will be a bunch of us there!

Checking in Tuesday, March 25-Sunday March 30. There will be my husband, myself, our 3 daughters, and 4 of their friends...girls ranging in age from 20 down to 13! We are renting a pop-up camper from fortcamperrentals! My husband and I are taking a small tent for ourselves. Can't wait! This trip is to celebrate my 18 year old's high school graduation this May!

Mommy,

Cool! Good for you - as I've said before the camper rental way to stay at the Fort gives new people opportunities to experience the Fort. What type of site did you reserve? Did you request any specific loop? And congrats to your daughter finishing high school.

What part of Alabama are you in? I'm in Hoover.

Lemme see if I got this math right.... (Ed licks his pencil and concentrates) :teacher:

3 daughters +

4 friends (probably girls too) +

1 Dear Wife/Mother (yet another girl)

================================

8 girls and

1 Dear Husband/Father

Yeah, I'd say that ratio is still about right. :rotfl: But seriously, if DH needs to detox, he can come by my site. The ratios are much lower there.....

Checking in March 23 and back home on March 28th. No specific loop requested but we have a fifth wheel and I will post our location after arrival! How fun that there will be a bunch of us there!

Great to hear from you libba. I had you tentatively listed in that week. What type of site did you reserve (if you want to tell us)? I'll add that to the list.

This is shaping up nicely. Although I know there are a few folks out there who haven't chimed in yet. Hope to hear from them soon. :woohoo:

Bama Ed

We are checking into the Fort on Saturday March 22 and I've been following the board and noted that there are many folks who will be there the last week of March. I'm so behind on getting ready because I have been committed for the last few Saturdays all day so my prep work has lagged. But I'm excited about our trip.

I invite anyone who will be at the Fort then to also post their pre-trip planning and activities in this thread if you wish. Also, those of you who will be there then, let us know your dates and I will keep a short list updated here in post #1 with any details you wish to share. I met 4 DISsers on my last trip as schedules permitted and it was a rewarding experience. On a Disney vacation it's always hard to get around to meet and greet what with different schedules but I would like to give it a shot. I'll have my green ears sign with my DIS name in front of the popup. And I hope ya'll get around to meet each other.

List: (who / arrives / site type)

Libba / Sun March 23 / ?? 5th wheel
Mommyof3grlz / Tue March 25 / ?? popup rental
Amandas4 / Sat March 22 / Tent (loop 1500 or 2000) popup rental
Fynook12 / Mon March 24 / Cabin
Jeepin Dad / Sat March 22 / Preferred (requested 100 trailer Fun Finder X240)
Bama Ed / Sat March 22 / Preferred (requested 100 trailer Jayco 12HW popup)

This weekend I plan to roll the popup out of the garage and set it up to see what needs done. I usually put the sheets on the bed, wipe down the counters and fridge interior, perform any maintenance needed, and check tire pressure.

I also have all the parts to make the Mickey light globe but I have already cracked one of the big 12" white globes that make up the head so I had to reorder another and that set me back schedule-wise (sorry Gary-I'm great in the kitchen but not a very good handyman).

So who else will be there then? Let's get this party started!
party: :dancer: :jumping1: :disrocks:

Bama Ed

Bama Ed,
I cracked the first large globe I tried to drill for the ears. What I did on the second one was to use 2 inch blue painters tape and I wrapped the globe like a mummy. The tape helped to stabilize the globe as I drilled for the ears. I have made 2 lamp posts since the first snafu without problem.
The DW and I will be arriving at the Fort on March 29th hopefully around 2 pm. We have requested the 200 loop again. We stayed there in November and really liked the site and its proximity to the marina, trading post and Trails End. When will you and the others be checking out?

Yes, you are correct...all girls except my husband. We requested the 1500 loop but will be happy anywhere at the Fort!

Bama Ed,
I cracked the first large globe I tried to drill for the ears. What I did on the second one was to use 2 inch blue painters tape and I wrapped the globe like a mummy. The tape helped to stabilize the globe as I drilled for the ears. I have made 2 lamp posts since the first snafu without problem.
The DW and I will be arriving at the Fort on March 29th hopefully around 2 pm. We have requested the 200 loop again. We stayed there in November and really liked the site and its proximity to the marina, trading post and Trails End. When will you and the others be checking out?

Jets70,

I'll try that - I have plenty of blue painter's tape left over from an earlier project. I noticed that in Gary's instructions that he shows a picture with a single blue strip around the circumference where he drilled the ear holes. I am planning to use a 2" pvc post spray painted black so I can disassemble the post from the globe easily. What did you do for the base?

We'll be gone by the time you get into the Fort but like you, I have requested to stay in the same loop that I was in last time - 100. We chose a Preferred also so if I get in 100 or 200 I'll be fine.

Bama Ed

Bama Ed,
I used a regular 2 piece lamp post that I bought at HD. I only used 1 section. I used the second section to make my sister a lamp. The actual standup base is a milk can. It worked well standing up against the wind. The lamp post is attached to the lid of the milk can so that I can take it apart and it will fit inside the camper. when I put the tape on. I criss crossed several long strips across the point where I would be drilling for the ears.
I noticed in an earlier post you said you were from Hoover. I am a big SEC baseball fan. Season ticket holder to UK baseball. My goal when I retire is to attend the SEC baseball tournament in Hoover. Are there campgrounds close to Regions Park. I know they create the one right by the park but it did not look to have bath house facilities which are a must.
My Cats open up SEC play with the Tide next weekend in Tuscaloosa. Should be a good series.:thumbsup2

Hey Bama_Ed, We'll be there from March 20 to March 31. Reserved a premium site. Requested loop 600. Kids loved fishing there last year. We're bringing down our Crossroads Cruiser 30sk fifth wheel. Swivel wheel trailer and golf cart.

I'm still digging out snow banks trying to get my camper out. Record snowfall this year. Hopefully this weekend I can finally get it home to do some maintenance. Luckily before we put it away last year we prepped it for Disney. Some food and clothes and were on our way.

Can't wait to meet some fellow DISers. I think I need to make my green DIS sign.

Bama Ed,
I used a regular 2 piece lamp post that I bought at HD. I only used 1 section. I used the second section to make my sister a lamp. The actual standup base is a milk can. It worked well standing up against the wind. The lamp post is attached to the lid of the milk can so that I can take it apart and it will fit inside the camper. when I put the tape on. I criss crossed several long strips across the point where I would be drilling for the ears.
I noticed in an earlier post you said you were from Hoover. I am a big SEC baseball fan. Season ticket holder to UK baseball. My goal when I retire is to attend the SEC baseball tournament in Hoover. Are there campgrounds close to Regions Park. I know they create the one right by the park but it did not look to have bath house facilities which are a must.
My Cats open up SEC play with the Tide next weekend in Tuscaloosa. Should be a good series.:thumbsup2

The milk can is a great idea. I am leaning toward a temporary, makeshift, use-it-once base given time constraints and lack of creativity on a deadline.

Yes I'm in Hoover and drive by the Met stadium every morning taking DD to Hoover High School less than a mile away from it. The Trailer Park there comes with full hookups but, as you point out, does not have a comfort station (showers/toilets) so it's not a good fit for you. With no CS, it can't be listed in various RV/Good Sam/etc directories. There aren't close alternatives. The other choices are 30 minutes or so away at Tannehill Historical State Park on I59 about mm100 and Oak Mountain State Park just south of Hoover on I65 South. Neither have great comfort station facilities, to be honest. Old, underfunded, undermaintained. Of course as a local I don't frequent those but the times in the past I did I was underwhelmed. Further south past Oak Mtn on I 65 (next exit down) is a KOA but it is unimpressive.

Sorry I don't have a better answer to give you.

Hey Bama_Ed, We'll be there from March 20 to March 31. Reserved a premium site. Requested loop 600. Kids loved fishing there last year. We're bringing down our Crossroads Cruiser 30sk fifth wheel. Swivel wheel trailer and golf cart.

I'm still digging out snow banks trying to get my camper out. Record snowfall this year. Hopefully this weekend I can finally get it home to do some maintenance. Luckily before we put it away last year we prepped it for Disney. Some food and clothes and were on our way.

Can't wait to meet some fellow DISers. I think I need to make my green DIS sign.

That's great Dad. The more the merrier. I will get you on the list. And when it comes to meeting folks, I'm of the opinion you have more success when you are the seeker - the person looking for others. Some folks hang out a sign and are disappointed if nobody visits them. Even if folks aren't home, leave a note, say hi, give them your campsite number, and maybe try later. As I said everyone has different schedules with park days, down days, other activities etc. Coordinating anything is like herding cats. As my kids have heard me say till they are sick of it, "Be a Do-er". You do it - don't wait for other folks to do it. It may not get done.

We are fortunate to all be there at one of the more busy times of the year. I think in the fall the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas times could support this kind of effort. I don't know if other times of year could. But, then again, I believe folks would be surprised if they pre-post their dates and ask who else will be there, there would be more nibbles than you think.

And a green site marker makes you instantly identifiable.::yes::

Bama Ed

Absolutely gorgeous day here today, sunny and in the 50's, snow is melting!!!

I got the truck ready to go today, changed the oil, new brake pads, greased the ball joints, new air filter.

Got the camper battery installed. Still some nights in the low 20's this week so I'm not comfortable dewinterizing the water system yet, maybe next weekend.

We will be there that same week. We check in Monday and stay six nights! March 24-30

I write a blog and haven't done a ton yet on it but I do have two pre-trip posts. http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/camping-disneys-fort-wilderness-campground/

http://www.enchantingbeginnings.com/ft-wilderness-camping-packing-list/

And we decorated our Magic Bands. But I don't want to link you all up here too much. So you can just find it yourselves. :-)

So excited!

Esther, welcome to the party! :cheer2:

If you don't mind (if you do that's okay) tell us what type of site you reserved and any requested loop.

I briefly checked your blog and it seemed you stayed at the Fort in 2011 (tented) but were the other years in a hotel on property? If so I'm curious why you are choosing the Fort again (renting a trailer). Have you been bitten by the camping bug? :goodvibes I will be the first to say the Fort has a more relaxing vibe than hotels on property.

I will add you to the list! :thumbsup2 :wave2:

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter