An Open Letter to the owners and upper management of Disneyland Paris.

septimuswigley

Mouseketeer
It's taken me a couple of months to get every thought down in a clear way, but following a trip with my wife and daughter to DLP at the end of February I was compelled to write the following open letter on my (very) occasional blog. We're regular visitors to WDW and when we go to DLP it's difficult not to compare the two resorts - unfortunately DLP always suffers due to the lack of standards in the very simplest things.

I love to know if anyone agrees or strongly disagrees - I appreciate I sound a bit nitpicky in some places (cue comments of 'a BIT???') but I love everything about Disney and it frustrates me how DLP continually seems to let the quality of service I expect from the Disney brand to slip in ways that could so easily be avoided.

Hell, if anyone knows somewhere I could send this where it might make a difference then please let me know!

Linky link http://stuffennonsense.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/an-open-letter-to-the-owners-and-upper-management-of-disneyland-paris/

I would notify Disney corporation for complaints. My son went on his honeymoon to Europe and went to Disney Paris. He said the park was beautiful but he said the cast members left a lot to be desired. He said they were not friendly and would never make in the U.S. He was not Impressed with the cast members.

Ben,

I totaly agree with the chaotic character situations. :crowded:

All the children should have the oportunity to meet the characters and not only the ones whos parents are rude enough to push them forward and others outisde. :mad:

We are at Disney and not at war. :grouphug:

I remember the Rapunzel Meet & Greet two years ago infront of ITSASW.

Everyone had to stand in line and wait for her. Everyone had enough time to meet her, talk some words to her and even take photos.

Everything was easy and I guess its a better way for everyone...the guests and the characters.

The Princess Pavilion is a first step in the right way but why do I have to cue for over an hour to meet one princess which I even did not know who it will be. :headache:

I always wondering why not meet all the princess going from a room to another and so on.

Or why not put a sign at the entrance which princess is inside at the moment so you can choose to go inside or wait.

I hate to stand in line 5 days each day for over an hour and to meet 4 times Cinderella. :crazy2:

Go back to organized Meet & Greet and you will make a big step back to that Disney magic.

:joker:

To be fair that's very well written.

We have been Florida regulars (I am not going to say veterans!) since 1990 and never really wanted to go anywhere else.
Until our autistic/non verbal child fell ill on 2 successive long haul flights put doubts in our mind about going so far again.
Hence last 2 years we have been to Disneyland Paris.

To be honest we love both , but for different reasons. Though hand on heart I would rather go to Florida there are too many doubts about taking him at the moment hence DLP gives us an option closer to home.

Having been lucky to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, and gone when the crowds have been light but weather pleasant I have to say it's been enjoyable.
In our situation having the park gates moments away is great and means we can spend more time out and about than we often manage at WDW,
however I don't think I would want to go unless we stayed at that hotel.

I completely agree about the restaurant closures, having said that I have been in the Universal parks in Florida and found the same problem, so it does happen elsewhere. I also think you can come across rude people anywhere too, I was nearly knocked off my feet at the Disney Store in Downtown Disney whilst carrying Joshua at 10 months old (picture right bottom). The more people you are in contact with the more chance.

My son isn't really into the characters, I don't think he really fully understands what they are, hence the scrums I often hear about we have never witnessed first hand - though as guests of the DLH we have been fortunate to have some contact with them purely by chance, Chip & Dale and Goofy have put their arms around him, obviously understanding he was a child with 'special needs'. So from that perspective we have had some nice moments.
It's a shame the experiences of many inside the parks are not the same.

Well written. But even if you send it in, you won't get any reactions. I sent a very similar letter about two years ago.

I got a response, but it was extremely evasive. I guess I can be glad I got a response, others were not so lucky. The reaction to the characters complaint was that they'd keep doing it this way because that was "the way their customers wanted." :confused3

A lot of what you bring up in your letter was mentioned at the recent Shareholders round table meeting in London. The Managment team know the park has issues and are working to slowly turn these things around.

Unforunatley due to the Parks being run by the banks for soooo long it's going to take time to change. 'Little Steps' is the phrase that Philippe Gas used alot during the meeting.

I've met some great CM's in Paris but you will never get that 'Over the top' USA CM behaviour in Europe, as it's not narural to the European way of doing things. And remember French labour laws are very different to the non-existance of the ones in Florida.

The Managment team at DLP have worked at Disney Parks all over the world, and so have alot of the CMs. I had a lovely conversation with a CM during my March trip who has worked on the Disney Cruise Line and at Hong Kong Disneyland and Disney's Animal Kingdom and was now a Manager at DLP.

If your going to send your letter in, send it stright to the top, to the CEO, I understand he does read them.

Philippe Gas, CEO of Euro Disney S.A.S.
Disneyland Paris
BP 100 - 77777
Marne-la-Vallée
Cedex 4
France

Very well worded. Would love to hear what the response is, I imagine more talk of small steps but your letter is compelling so I would hope and think it should leave a lasting impression on the management if they read it. Good luck.

:teacher: perfect letter and sums up exactly what I think about DLP too. Please send this letter in and let us know if you get a response!
Amanda

I agree with your letter as a North American. However, the French mentality is definitely not the same as the North American one. The person doing paperwork was paid to do paperwork. The thought probably didn't even cross their minds to help. If its not in their job descriptions, they don't do it. It's a French mentality that just isn't logical to our minds but is to theirs. Lines also don't work quite the same. I live in Quebec and lines are no where neat as orderly. It's just how it is.

They close stores and restaurants in euope for sieste time, but dont care that its maybe not as profitable. i think the mentality is probably, weve got enough open to satisfy a French population standard, so whats the problem? (the answer of course is you have a hungry family) its just a different, fireign way of thinking. There also could be labour laws about it too (I don't know for sure)

For example, here you can't have more than five employees working on holidays or after five Saturday- Wednesday, meaning that everything, including tourist attractions are closed Memorial Day etc and walmart closes at five. (restaurants are excluded though) ifyou want to buy groceries on a holiday you're out of luck. It's inconvenient but let's everyone have holidays and evenings off.

im sorry it wasn't up to your expectations, and I'm glad you wrote the letter to show a different point if view. I'd find it frustrating too, but different cultures do it differently.

Freesia123 said:
I agree with your letter as a North American. However, the French mentality is definitely not the same as the North American one. The person doing paperwork was paid to do paperwork. The thought probably didn't even cross their minds to help. If its not in their job descriptions, they don't do it. It's a French mentality that just isn't logical to our minds but is to theirs. Lines also don't work quite the same. I live in Quebec and lines are no where neat as orderly. It's just how it is.

They close stores and restaurants in euope for siesta time, but dont care that its maybe not as profitable. i think the mentality is probably, weve got enough open to satisfy a French population standard, so whats the problem? (the answer of course is you have a hungry family) its just a different, foreign way of thinking. There also could be labour laws about it too (I don't know for sure)

For example, here you can't have more than five employees working on holidays or after five Saturday- Wednesday, meaning that everything, including tourist attractions are closed Memorial Day etc and walmart closes at five. (restaurants are excluded though) ifyou want to buy groceries on a holiday you're out of luck. It's inconvenient but let's everyone have holidays and evenings off.

im sorry it wasn't up to your expectations, and I'm glad you wrote the letter to show a different point if view. I'd find it frustrating too, but different cultures do it differently.

Im a little uncomfortable with some of your generalisations of the French as a nationality. French as a language is very direct. In Irish & English we tend to pad out our speech with niceties & descriptives. Perhaps French people are more direct and to the point in their ways like their language and maybe it comes off as abrupt. I really don't think the same enthusiasm would work in Europe as in America because, speaking as an Irish person it just isn't the norm here.
And also the park should not cater to a French standard but to crowd levels versus waiting times. This thing of just accepting an hour long queue in a CS is wrong. We should all complain when waits at CS restaurants are excessive.
Also I haven't seen siestas observed in France. We don't have them in Ireland either.

Thanks for all your comments!

I TOTALLY forgot to mention the issues with the Princess Pavilion - thanks for reminding me! I'll add it into the letter but for the benefit of those who read the original I'll be talking about the fact that in WDW you can meet 3 or 4 princesses in one fell swoop, which at least justifies queuing for what could be a couple of hours. The layout of the DLP means you *could* meet the two princesses available, and I appreciate the cast member at the top of the ramp can't give people the option.

But what doesn't help matters is that as you exit, screens show photos from BOTH rooms. It's a great way to get extra sales from Guests, but you run the continual risk of your loved ones going 'But I wanted to see X! Can we go and see X?'.

Do you risk another long queue to hope you get the right side this time? If X is indeed still there?

Like I say, great system in theory, but in practice it can cause some huge issues between family members!

It would be very easy to highlight the French culture and claim that the majority of issues are caused by 'Frenchiness'. But a) this isn't necessarily true and b) isn't exactly constructive.

And as for 'small steps'? Well, shouldn't these small steps have already been taken several years ago...?

Thanks for the address - following all your feedback I'm very tempted to send it to M. Gas. It's not a complaint letter as such, it's an effort to get the management of DLP to try and see that they don't need to throw money at improving their Guests experiences.

I would definitely send the letter septimus, constructive feedback is important, especially in the leisure industry.

I agree with everything in your letter and it is well written l hope you manage to get a reply. We did not when we encountered problems at the princess pavilion, after standing for over 2 hours at the time it was very busy, it is very annoying when CM just let other people come and jump the queue, without anyone stopping them, then to find you see one princess instead of moving from room to room.
Best of luck with your letter

great letter love dlp but you have covered all the little and not so little issues very well ,that would make dlp a even better place to visit

Hell, if anyone knows somewhere I could send this where it might make a difference then please let me know!

Making a difference in someone else's business is both difficult and thankless. But, if you're intent on trying, your best chance is to reduce your word count by 75%.

I have to disagree with most things you have said in all honesty, I find the interactions with the characters very good, yes it may not be as 'full on' as Florida but DLP is not america, I remember being there just after the christmas period a few years ago and it had snowed quite bad and you had Mickey and Goofy having a random snow ball fight, the kids all around were loving it and they were getting them involved, thats just 1 of the many great interactions I have seen, even me and my fiancee have had many great interactions with the characters and we are 26 and 25.

The one thing I do agree on is the food closures, however whenever we have been out of peak season and some have been closed there has actually been no reason to open some of them as the queues were minimal.

I dont know maybe me and my fiance have just been lucky the last 4 times we have been.

Anyway good luck with the letter but I must agree that it needs to be cut down as I would imagine the CEO is an extremely busy man.

There are some very valid points here, namely lack of dining opportunities, management of scrums around characters and the way the Princess Pavilion is organised. I don't think you mentioned the smoking problem but I would add that. I am confused by the bit about the queuing area for standby and FastPass at Crush's Coaster as I didn't think there was a fastpass line for that attraction (which is why the queues are always the longest) but I might be wrong.

However the overall impression that CMs are impolite, unhelpful and unfriendly just doesn't sit with my own experience. I've never been to Florida so maybe I'm conditioned to a more muted European experience but we have met outstanding CMs at DLP and had overwhelmingly kind and friendly interaction. We always make a point of leaving comments either at City Hall or on the hotel comments form about exceptional CMs that we encounter.

Whilst the common language is obviously French, most characters are English and the other CMs come from all over Europe so it is hard to attribute national stereotypical attitudes.

Finally, and I am sorry to nit-pick myself, but it should be Mesdames et messieurs rather than madames et monsieurs.

One of our posters on the TA Disneyland Paris forum had a very disappointing first trip with her young child, including some appalling behaviour by some CMs and hotel room and VEA bus problems ( bus vouchers not accepted).

She was getting no help from her Travel Agent in response to her letters to the shop and Head Office, and no reply from Disney Guest Communication concerning the difficulties and experiences she had, but received a lot of sympathy and support from our forum posters.

I asked her to send me a letter that I could give to M.Gas at the Round Table Event in London this month, which she did. After the meeting I handed the letter to M.Gas with a brief explanation, and said I hoped he didn't mind my taking this liberty. He said not in the least.

Our poster has now received an apology from Disney and an offer of another free stay to be taken within two years.

M.Gas is a very nice man, who clearly has a passion for DLP and understands many of the problems and issues visitors encounter there. He listened to all the comments that we made during the meeting (as reported by people who attended) and afterwards asked me to email him some of our threads concerning difficulties experienced by people with disabilities or taking disabled people.

I also like the way that many of the Cast Members and Characters in DLP are more laid back, more playful and less formal than in the American parks. CM / Guest Flow in the parks have a difficult job - many European guests are not as well behaved as most American ones. When we mentioned the smoking issue in the parks, and CMs seeming to disregard people smoking everywhere, M.Gas said it is difficult to manage without becoming too heavy handed, as some security guards are in the American Parks. Cast Members are ignored or even physically abused by some European visitors, when told to put out cigarettes or go to the designated area. We did make some suggestions to maybe improve this situation, and about the scrums to meet Characters, which he seemed to take on board.

Pretty much all the CMs we have come across in Paris were very friendly and helpful, and the hotel staff at the Disneyland Hotel are great.

The rudest CM I ever met was in a store at Tomorrowland, Magic Kingdom, damn right horrible in fact.

I do get the sense of a more muted excitement around the place, especially the public , there isn't the "yeehaw - high five" hyperactive demeanor that you get at WDW, our Americans friends look happier around the parks in general.
But that's probably our more laid back European approach.

I have only reported three CMs for rude un-Disneylike behaviour or attitude in 20 years of DLP trips, so not bad really - one at the Newport Bay, one at the front desk in La Grange and the other at the 'build your own rollercoaster' ride that used to be in the Studios where Playhouse Disney is now.

We watched the CM in the Studios being frogmarched away from the ride and replaced. Our boys were given some Disney goodies, and they said we could ride in the parade in the main park as an apology, but sadly we were going home before the parade began that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter