An interesting question (maybe)

wcw57

DIS Veteran
since Disney is VERY protective of their copyrights, how do all these people on E-Bay and all get away with selling Disney-themed merchandise which they have created? Years ago, Disney busted a pre-school around me which had large Disney character cutouts on the walls..........:confused3

since Disney is VERY protective of their copyrights, how do all these people on E-Bay and all get away with selling Disney-themed merchandise which they have created? Years ago, Disney busted a pre-school around me which had large Disney character cutouts on the walls..........:confused3

Well, I can say that for example, the people selling the FEs on E-Bay are probably using a Disney embroidery pack for either a sewing machine or something else, which, when it's purchased, includes the copyright. You wouldn't be able to sell the embroidery pack or duplicate it and sell it, that's a violation of copyright, but the fruits of your labor using that pack are completely sellable as you've already paid for the priviledge of using it.

Others, probably just haven't been caught yet...

Disney does go after some. There is a person on the DISign board that can no longer design Disney magnets, t-shirts, etc without risk of a lawsuit.

I have wondered about that too! My understanding is that the embroidery designs are liscenced for home/personal use only. Ok for a childs shirt, towels -items for your home, family or decoration, not made to resell. If you sell an item with a copyrighted character on it, that is infringement.

here is a link I found, (not a government site, but someone who looks to know a lot about copywrite and other legal matters pertaining to people that sell items on-line).

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/CopyrightLaw/EmbroideryDesigns.shtml

here is an excerpt:

under Copyright Law you may not:

Make copies of the digital embroidery software to either sell or give away
Post a copy of the digital embroidery software on the internet for others to use
Modify the digital embroidery software and sell it as your own

Under Copyright Law you may:

Make a copy of the digital embroidery pattern for your personal use
Make more than one end product for personal use or for sale from the digital embroidery software

I checked a few other websites, but could not find anything else with as much detail.

HTH

I worked at a Community Center and we go 'busted' for showing Disney movies without permission. Yes, we violated the copyright just like the people selling on Ebay. You see a lot of Disney merchandise at discount store and tourist t-shirt places. Some of the merchandise does not have the official Disney Logo. I wonder why Disney still allows that?:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter