An extra benefit of staying off site - less stress?

That's a rather strong accusation. I have re-read the OP's initial commentary, and all the replies that followed. The only poster using those terms ("stupid", "idiots" and "suckers") is yourself.

There is some great discussion on this particular forum (this thread and all the others that have come before it), and I like to think our differing perspectives give some good food for thought to others who might be considering an offsite stay. I am a HUGE offsite champion and will sing its value and comfort to anyone who asks (because I honestly don't think many folks have a clue about how far their money can go off Disney property), but I don't look poorly on someone who chooses to stay onsite. Their vacation, their money, their choice. Doesn't mean I can't respectfully have a different opinion.

It isn't just this thread, as I said, it is the weekly reintroduction of it in one form or another. You also don't need to say the words to convey the superiority of your own choices.

I don't expect to get every restaurant reservation I want, when I want at WDW any more than I would at the most popular restaurants in NYC or Yountville.

I guess I don't see the "less stress" factor.

If you don't want to make ADRs it doesn't matter where you stay. If you do want to make them, you're dealing with the same time constraints and system as anyone else. The same with FP+. If you don't care about making them in advance, then the stress level is even. If you do care, the stress level is still even (probably higher because off site guests have a smaller pool with which to work).

I know we pay a premium to stay on site and I'm okay with that. There are several factors, to me, that make staying on site make sense and I know not everyone feels that way. I guess, if I want to make ADRs it's LESS stressful to get up at 180 days, make all of my ADRs in one day and be done than it is to get up every morning for a week or however long I'm staying to do it.

It isn't just this thread, as I said, it is the weekly reintroduction of it in one form or another. You also don't need to say the words to convey the superiority of your own choices.

I don't expect to get every restaurant reservation I want, when I want at WDW any more than I would at the most popular restaurants in NYC or Yountville.

There are recurring versions of this thread on the Resorts board as well but just coming from the other side (no "Magic" etc)

I've been on these boards for 15 years - I've seen variations of just about every topic crop up every so often. Part of the Circle of Life - and the cyclical nature of a message board. I haven't seen a good refillable mug or pool-hopping debate in a while, but just wait...they'll be back.

Disney feeds into the "stir them into a frenzy about eating here or there" by opening up ADRs 6 months in advance, and announcing just how "special" some of those meals are. And then once you've plunked down your credit card # to assure that you'll show up, or even pre-pay for meals - they've got you.

Same with the Anna & Elsa M&G - I've seen many people lament that their little 3 year old would be DEVASTATED if they don't get to meet Anna & Elsa - but, wait...isn't she 3? Where is she reading that Anna & Elsa are at the Magic Kingdom? If you don't get the FP+, don't tell her - she'll never know - until years later, when she's on the therapist's couch, complaining how horrible her parents were that they brought her to Disney World, and she never got to meet Anna & Elsa!! :)

I stay in a lot of off site hotels and I do so for a variety of reasons based on my needs, but I don't feel compelled to start a thread to tell people who make different choices that they are stupid for doing so.

Um. Ouch. But whatever.

I'm sorry that you read what I intended as a positive statement as such a negative statement. First, we don't even use "the s - word" in our house. My 13 year old is required to spell it out so that our 5 year old doesn't even know it's an option. I would not call someone that, and absolutely not about their hotel choice! Yikes.

I won't make all the arguments that others have made so eloquently on my behalf - thanks to the nice people who clarified and interpreted my original post accurately.

I will say that I believe that hotel choice is personal, and there are pros and cons to both. I am personally jealous of anyone who can afford to stay onsite, especially in a one or two bedroom like my family would require.

My original post was just intended in a conversational way, because I had just been over on TPAS board and saw so many people upset because the computer / server had crashed. Some people were thinking of cancelling their entire vacation because they were so upset, and I thought how sad that was for everyone involved.

Wow. I would never go to the Disney Resorts board and reply to someone's thread about "I don't feel compelled to start a thread about how "magic" the disney resorts are". Sheesh. Like Gina said, this might not be the right board for you to visit.

Also, isn't it a new policy that if there is a thread that you don't agree with, you are supposed to pass over it without comment? "It is often good advice if you see a thread or post which your are unhappy with to walk away and give yourself a time out. Alternatively use the report post button which will alert all the moderators and the webmasters to any post, where appropriate action if necessary will be taken. If you add a comment yourself you may also face infractions as per the guidelines."

I've been on these boards for 15 years - I've seen variations of just about every topic crop up every so often. Part of the Circle of Life - and the cyclical nature of a message board. I haven't seen a good refillable mug or pool-hopping debate in a while, but just wait...they'll be back.

Disney feeds into the "stir them into a frenzy about eating here or there" by opening up ADRs 6 months in advance, and announcing just how "special" some of those meals are. And then once you've plunked down your credit card # to assure that you'll show up, or even pre-pay for meals - they've got you.

Same with the Anna & Elsa M&G - I've seen many people lament that their little 3 year old would be DEVASTATED if they don't get to meet Anna & Elsa - but, wait...isn't she 3? Where is she reading that Anna & Elsa are at the Magic Kingdom? If you don't get the FP+, don't tell her - she'll never know - until years later, when she's on the therapist's couch, complaining how horrible her parents were that they brought her to Disney World, and she never got to meet Anna & Elsa!! :)

Ha Ha! I do feel bad about the parents so torn up about not getting the FP+ for A&E. It's definitely more for them than the kids. I guess it's hard to see that when you're so excited.

Um. Ouch. But whatever.

I'm sorry that you read what I intended as a positive statement as such a negative statement. First, we don't even use "the s - word" in our house. My 13 year old is required to spell it out so that our 5 year old doesn't even know it's an option. I would not call someone that, and absolutely not about their hotel choice! Yikes.

I won't make all the arguments that others have made so eloquently on my behalf - thanks to the nice people who clarified and interpreted my original post accurately.

I will say that I believe that hotel choice is personal, and there are pros and cons to both. I am personally jealous of anyone who can afford to stay onsite, especially in a one or two bedroom like my family would require.

My original post was just intended in a conversational way, because I had just been over on TPAS board and saw so many people upset because the computer / server had crashed. Some people were thinking of cancelling their entire vacation because they were so upset, and I thought how sad that was for everyone involved.

Wow. I would never go to the Disney Resorts board and reply to someone's thread about "I don't feel compelled to start a thread about how "magic" the disney resorts are". Sheesh. Like Gina said, this might not be the right board for you to visit.

Also, isn't it a new policy that if there is a thread that you don't agree with, you are supposed to pass over it without comment? "It is often good advice if you see a thread or post which your are unhappy with to walk away and give yourself a time out. Alternatively use the report post button which will alert all the moderators and the webmasters to any post, where appropriate action if necessary will be taken. If you add a comment yourself you may also face infractions as per the guidelines."

Sometimes you have to consider the source... Your post is completely appropriate for this sub-forum and actually a slightly refreshing take on why you prefer offsite, your lowered stress.

Regarding your original post I think that "one person's stress is another's planning enjoyment" cause some of us like that. I have zero stress from planning onsite stays.

I am at Disney 5-6 weeks a year. In past been about 60% onsite and 40% offsite. Planning my FP+ and ADR is same same either way. I drive so planning arrival is the same either way. No matter where I stay I eat breakfast in the room unless included and pack some lunches. Dinners, I just don't like cooking on vacation so depending on our numbers if I cook or we just book TS. (We tend to stay late at parks so dinner in condo not option.) Offsite is actually more planning for me since I need more groceries and will need to add a food run to my schedule. The difference in the two for me is offsite gives me way more space for way less money and therefore we can plan additional things because we have the extra cash to do so - so maybe more planning. With the new 2016 rates out I'm now at the point that the stress of onsite would come from the room bill. Disney just isn't giving me my monies worth. Luckily we have been so much that the "magical" part has faded.

I can stay at Bonnet Creek in December in a 2 bedroom fully loaded condo for almost half the cost of one room at POP Century including my AP discount (based on last years AP discounts and what I paid at BC in December). BC is next door to POP Century and virtually onsite. Just stayed at week at SVR for a week in a stunning huge 2 bedroom for less than half what a POP room would have cost.

Very very hard to convince myself that there is enough magic to make up for that. In the end it really doesn't matter to me whether I'm on or offsite, neither stresses us, they both have pros and cons - we are at a point it's just home base for us so I'd rather have more beds and more cash to spend doing other things.

Last edited:
I go to WDW 4-5 times each year and tend to mix it up between on and off site. This year will be:
-first week of February/on site/Pop Century/solo
-second week of September/off site/Grand Villas 2BR/solo
-third week of October/off site/Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2BR/with DH
-first week of December/on site/RV at Ft Wilderness/With DH

I do love the convenience of on site but....

For my upcoming September trip I booked one night at the cheapest onsite resort I could find. The total price for that night was a hair under $100. The following 7 night stay at Grand Villas Resort was $300 or just under $43/night. For less than half of what I'm paying for the All Star Music I'll get 1329 square feet with a washer/dryer, full kitchen and nicer pools. As a solo I can definitely get by in a smaller space but I LOVE having the laundry and kitchen!

The kitchen saves me soooo much. I don't like eating alone in restaurants and am not a huge fan (gasp!) of most of the Disney QS eats so usually prefer to BYO most of my meals, even when on site. A condo with a full kitchen makes this so much easier. I pull a good 90% of my meals from my pantry and freezer and am able to eat a balanced, varied diet of things I know I'll enjoy for no more than it would cost me to eat at home.

I love DH, really, really adore him but we are not hotel room compatible. In October most of his non-park time will be spent glued to football on the TV. He gets into it, a lot, loudly and I like being able to close a door on that very much. He also snores like a freight train full of lumberjacks practicing for a chainsaw competition. I like having the option to close a door on that too.

In the interest of full disclosure I do have an AP (free parking) and drive to Orlando. I'm guessing my view might be different if I flew or had to pay to park. it might also be different if I could swing 4-5 weeks/year in a DVC 1 BR but I can't. WDW isn't our main "big" vacation (We spent two weeks in Amsterdam and Germany last month.) so I need to keep an eye on expenditures there.

I'm a newbie to this site, and I'm so thankful I found it! All my prior searches for information led to think I HAD to stay onsite or I wouldn't have a good time. But the price and room sizes really had me questioning. The price I would pay to stay onsite would definitely leave me stressed! The only thing now is trying to decide where to stay, there are just so many options. But I guess that's for another thread... (Though if someone wants to tell me how to get a villa for $300/wk, like in the above post, feel free!)

I'm a newbie to this site, and I'm so thankful I found it! All my prior searches for information led to think I HAD to stay onsite or I wouldn't have a good time. But the price and room sizes really had me questioning. The price I would pay to stay onsite would definitely leave me stressed! The only thing now is trying to decide where to stay, there are just so many options. But I guess that's for another thread... (Though if someone wants to tell me how to get a villa for $300/wk, like in the above post, feel free!)

Skyauction is a GREAT resource. We were able to stay 7 nights in a 900+ square foot one bedroom villa at SVR in early May for $399 taxes included plus a $20 admin fee. Full kitchen, vaulted ceiling with skylight, screened balcony overlooking one of the pools, jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom, separate shower, laundry facilities, flat screen TV's and a Bose sound system, free parking, free internet and no resort fees. Our one bedroom villa slept 4 (king in master, pull-out in living room) but Skyauction also had two bedroom/2 bathroom villas for $450.....slightly over your price point, but well worth it when the resort offers 7 pools, 6 outdoor hot tubs, 2 basketball courts, 13 tennis courts, 2 sand volleyball courts, shuffleboard, dive-in movies, daily scheduled entertainment, and more.

I use SkyAuction too. You have to be sure of your dates and read the terms very carefully but you can get some great deals there. The $300 condo was through one of their Resort Vacation Certificates sales-$279 + $20 processing fee. Both of my SkyAuction trips are fairly off season. There are usually (sometimes hefty) seasonal surcharges for busier times.

I firmly believe "There is no right way or wrong way to do Disney, just what is right for you!"

That even applies to different trips for the same folks. Sometimes there are two of us, three of us, four of us or five of us and that will have an impact on where we stay. There are pros and cons fro both onsite and offsite and you should absolutely pick what is going to work for your family/group. There are hardcore fans on both sides but from someone who does both, often - do what you want, you will have a great trip either way as long as you are prepared.

PS I also use SkyAuction for condo rentals. I do not use them for hotels.

There are a MILLION arguments regarding on site vs off site, and I think lots of them are good. I used to think folks staying on-site were nuts, but I have come to see their point of view.

If I were ever rich, I think I would enjoy staying in one of the Disney hotels near the Magic Kingdom, and perhaps the Animal Kingdom. But rich does not appear to be in the near future so......

There are really two things that kill onsite for me.

1) Space
2) Value

After touring the parks all day the last thing I want to see is my family up close and personal for several more hours. In the mornings, I want SEVERAL bathrooms, and to be able to get a bagel and a glass of OJ without going anywhere. When you get down to it, staying at Disney means HOTEL ROOM, and I have never seen any magic that can overcome 1 tiny bathroom, 2 queen beds, and 4 people. (and from a value perspective PAYING THROUGH THE NOSE for the privilege.

Once I stayed offsite the first time, and realized I could stretch out and relax in some privacy, go grab a beer or diet coke from the fridge, and watch the kids in the PRIVATE pool while I was reading or watching TV, it was all over. (Our Villa this year backs up to a fishing lake so I can grab fishing poles from the air conditioned game room/garage, and take my boys fishing without getting in the car.)

Perhaps one day Polynesian, Contemporary, or Grand Floridian. But until that lottery ticket comes in, Disney won't see a penny of my lodging money.

Ed

PS....

OK... I will bite. When I stayed on-site (and I would add any regular hotel room near Disney to this), I was being a little stupid/idiotic. Not because I chose to stay on-site, but rather because I was uninformed, and frankly a little intimidated. Renting a home or codo from someone does require a leap of faith to some extent. The first time if I rented a Villa for my family if it had gone poorly, I would have been a goat, and any time you do something that is seemingly risky makes you vulnerable.

I think the reason you see these threads so frequently, AND us "off-siters" championing the benefits is to help those people who are still uninformed and/or intimidated by going off site. With better information, they can make better decisions, and I will admit that for some staying on site can be a better decision...

Ed

Last edited:
I finally decided on staying at a condo, and I really had fun looking at all the affordable options. I'm super excited now. So glad that I became aware of these other options. It's so true that people value different things in a room when staying at Disney. My sister swears by All-Stars because she likes the theming, and really doesn't care about space. I probably will never stay onsite because I like plenty of room. And now I am looking forward to stress-free living for a week, enjoying wine on the balcony, use of our own wash and dryer, 2 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms, and breakfast in our pj's. All for a great price.

I don't really stay onsite for the "magic" but rather the convenience. The planning isn't stressful to me, it's figuring everything out while I'm there. I'm going off season and staying in the cheapest value resort, the All Star Movies, so I can still pay the price I'd pay offsite but get the perks of transportation, the FP, the dining plan. I don't find planning those things stressful, but fun. Staying offsite is something I considered but it seemed easiest for us to have complimentary transportation, as well as transportation for the airport. Renting a car seems like such a hassle and cost. I don't want to stress about traffic on vacation. Everyone has different priorities and things that stress them out, everyone's different.

I don't really stay onsite for the "magic" but rather the convenience. The planning isn't stressful to me, it's figuring everything out while I'm there. I'm going off season and staying in the cheapest value resort, the All Star Movies, so I can still pay the price I'd pay offsite but get the perks of transportation, the FP, the dining plan. I don't find planning those things stressful, but fun. Staying offsite is something I considered but it seemed easiest for us to have complimentary transportation, as well as transportation for the airport. Renting a car seems like such a hassle and cost. I don't want to stress about traffic on vacation. Everyone has different priorities and things that stress them out, everyone's different.

I agree, transportation is a HUGE perk, and makes things very easy for a lot of people. Then there are some who like the freedom of coming and going as they please. We certainly gave this issue a lot of consideration.

I don't really stay onsite for the "magic" but rather the convenience.
I'm going off season and staying in the cheapest value resort, the All Star Movies, so I can still pay the price I'd pay offsite but get the perks of transportation, the FP, the dining plan.
Renting a car seems like such a hassle and cost.

everyone's different.
That last statement is really key: everyone's different!

You listed three "perks" of staying onsite. All 3 are things that are of absolutely no importance to us at all. We do not take Disney transportation (except for the monorail) when we do stay onsite. We get in our car and drive wherever we're going. We find that way more convenient and less stressful. We would never do the dining plan under any circumstances. And we can't stand the new FP system and don't care about being able to book them in advance so 60 days or 30 days is of no significance because we aren't going to make reservations until we're there anyway. And we don't rent a car. We drive to Disney World from New Jersey so we've got our own vehicle.

Just illustrates why there is no "right" answer to onsite or offsite. It totally depends on personal preferences.

Exactly :) there is no right answer for everyone. And hey I'm from New Jersey too! Is the the trip decent? I always considered driving but haven't driven longer than 8 hours so I'm wary.

Exactly :) there is no right answer for everyone. And hey I'm from New Jersey too! Is the the trip decent? I always considered driving but haven't driven longer than 8 hours so I'm wary.
I've lost count of how many times we've made the drive. It is just over 1,000 miles each way for us. It typically takes about 17 hours not counting the overnight stop. We have no problem doing it. We figure flying takes about 7 hours (not 2 like everybody claims) so it's an extra 10 hours each way. Driving allows us to pack whatever we want, saves us a bunch of money, eliminates the need for a rental car (we would NEVER do Disney without our own vehicle), and is just way less stressful overall. It isn't right for everyone but it works well for us. We'll be doing it again 3 months from tomorrow!

I've lost count of how many times we've made the drive. It is just over 1,000 miles each way for us. It typically takes about 17 hours not counting the overnight stop. We have no problem doing it. We figure flying takes about 7 hours (not 2 like everybody claims) so it's an extra 10 hours each way. Driving allows us to pack whatever we want, saves us a bunch of money, eliminates the need for a rental car (we would NEVER do Disney without our own vehicle), and is just way less stressful overall. It isn't right for everyone but it works well for us. We'll be doing it again 3 months from tomorrow!
I ditto everything posted above! We live in PA, it takes us the same amount of time to drive down. We usually drive to SC the first day, stay overnight, then the rest of the way the next day. On the way home, we usually drive straight through. We're planning our next trip for 2016 and doing things the same way we always have.

For us, staying offsite is best. FWIW, our DD's inlaws own DVC and she did a split stay with us and OKW in May and far preferred our offsite resort to OKW. They used our pools (Marriott Sabal Palms) over OKW, which was very crowded. She's stayed in seveal onsite resorts over the years and likes offsite for various reasons, and she also likes some aspects of onsite. She and DSIL will be staying with us offsite next year.

I feel like I need to add a disclaimer (LOL!); this is my opinion and what our experience has been. For us, offsite works the best for us as far as value, freedom, and relaxation. It may be different for others and that's fine. I will say that I talk to many people who express their wish to go to WDW, but the cost deters them. They are very interested in how we do it and because we've shared our experience, we have 3 friends who will be taking their families to WDW in the next year who otherwise wouldn't go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter