An evening in HS

DisGin

Mouseketeer
Talk to me about an evening in Hollywood studios. Our only goal is the Star Wars fireworks. We're skipping fantasmic this trip because we've done it many times. Last year we waited for the SW fireworks and they were unexpectedly canceled. Are rides lighter during fantasmic? I've thought about doing a dinner at Boardwalk and walking over. It's me, DH and our 4 kids. What would you do for a more relaxing HS evening?

Not sure about shorter lines during Fantasmic, but when we go in the evenings we've done no-line options like One Man's Dream and Launch Bay, or secured a FP earlier in the day for either Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride or StarTours. If the third track of Toy Story is open, standby waits can be as low as 25 minutes in the evenings, which is doable. Or you could just browse the shops, have dessert, take some PhotoPass pics and wait for the fireworks!

Last edited:
I will say that the lines for the three most popular attractions (TSM, ToT and R'n'RC) will be the longest, regardless of F! or not.

That is also true of EMH at DHS.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that there are very few attractions open at DHS.
That aspect has been totally overblown by hype.
Okay, that's probably true. Edited my response above. :flower:

If your goal is the see the SW fireworks make sure you get a spot right in-front of the theater. This way you can see all the projections, fireworks, and lasers. We saw it twice while down there in August; it's an amazing show! We found that wait times in the Launch Bay weren't bad later in the day as well as TSMWM and ST.

Depending on the times of the SW show and the closing times it might be better to hit a ride after the SW Show. For example last night, we watched the show at 8:15pm, the show is 12 minutes long, so we fast walked to Star Tours and got on the last ride of the nights since the park closed at 8:30pm
We've also done this to go on TSMM

Olaf is a fun meet and his line was shorter in the evening before fireworks, we were there end of August so could be related to that as well. The frozen sing along is usually easier to get in as well.

In July, the line for TSMM was shorter than the one for Star Tours at 9 pm. They were only running 1 bay at Star Tours, so the line was about 30 minutes. My DH and DS were able to ride TSMM 3 times between 9-9:30. (That night, the park was closing at 9:30, which was when the SW show began.) We also had no issue seeing characters in Launch Bay or meeting Olaf (his line was maybe 10 minutes?) in the early evening. GMR was also an almost non-existent line.

We watched the SW show from in front of GMR, and really only needed to be there about 10 mins ahead of time. My DS (16) went for a final ride on TSMM and came back right as the show began and there was plenty of room. You lose some of the effects- almost as if you are sitting in the front row of a movie theater- but we didn't mind. The show was great! @yulilin3 has pictures of the show from that location in the Star Wars thread- the link is in her signature and I believe it is the last page because she posted them today from last night's show.

We also had another night where we prioritized rides and not the show, and were able to do TOT without a wait, but it was also pouring rain. We found that the only ride we felt we needed a FP+ for at DHS this past trip was RnR. Even in the middle of the day, TSMM had waits that were under an hour- and the longest we waited was 30 mins.

We just returned yesterday and spent a full day at HS because my oldest daughter wanted to do Jedi Training. Her and my husband stood in line for an hour to sign her up at rope drop. They were given an anytime fast pass. We had FP for TSMM.

Park closed at 8:30 Star wars fireworks were at 8:15 which we wanted to see. My youngest loves TSMM we rode it twice on FP earlier in the day and she was asking to ride more. We checked time at about 7:30 so an hour before closing and it was listed as 20 min. It was practically walk on. We got off and rode 3 more times in a row before 8 and they were just putting everyone through the FP line. So we rode it 4 time in about 30 min in the hour before the park closed then walked over to watch star wars fireworks. Not sure if that's typical but we've never seen it like that. Weather was clear hadn't been raining but hot and humid of course.

1 question If I might add....I haven't seen this anywhere? Is this SW show going through the end of the year? Or is it ending anytime soon?

T.I.A. DizDad

1 question If I might add....I haven't seen this anywhere? Is this SW show going through the end of the year? Or is it ending anytime soon?

T.I.A. DizDad
It should keep going, they have been very slow releasing the schedule

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter