An AP Virgin Eats the World - 10/21-10/31 with PICS! ***Completed on 1/31***

I would love to try TRex and order exactly what you did!

DEFINITELY having one of those Cotton Cosmo-tini's at T-Rex! :upsidedow What a cool drink!
You must! They are awesome!

Great Food report!!! I can't wait until my youngest is in College so, I can go to the F&W Festival. Maybe I'll have to go solo but I think dh might not like that. I can't wait to hear the rest....
F&W is great, it's something I'd like to do every year.

We absolutely loved T-Rex! We ordered "real" food (steak and salmon) and were very pleasently surprised!
I was surprised too at how good it was.

I would love to try TRex and order exactly what you did!
I'll definitely be ordering the same thing when I go back again.

I love staying at AKL because it means breakfast on the balcony. My room was situated in such a way that it wasn't all that easy to get to the Mara. I had to walk through the Boma/Jiko lobby or take a back elevator to Simba's Clubhouse. Most mornings I went the Simba's Clubhouse way. I'm not sure I was supposed to actually be going that way because it looked like a Cast Member only type hallway I was in, but it worked!

I kept it simple on this morning - a Mickey Waffle and some breakfast potatoes.

a53077d1.jpg

The waffle was crisp and delicious. I forgot to get butter though, so I'll have to knock it just a little bit for that - but I can't blame that on the Mara.

The breakfast potatoes were okay. I prefer the little fake potato square things over the big real potatoes, but they were good enough.

I've really been enjoying your reviews, and I can't wait to read about Andrew Zimmern,

Oh wow, must have a Cotton Cosmo-tini, it looks awesome!!!

I am uhm-ing and ahh-ing about T-Rex, but only because people say that it is too noisy in there because the storms go off every 20mins (or something to that degree). How far were you from the seated tables?

Mickey Waffles!!! They taste even better with a side of strawberries :)

great TR, i'm hooked :) can't wait for more.....
Jeesh, i hope our O'hana dinner is ok....we loved breakfast :)
so we are doing both Breakfast and Dinner this time...

I've really been enjoying your reviews, and I can't wait to read about Andrew Zimmern,
Thanks! I'll be getting to Andrew sooner or later :rotfl:

Oh wow, must have a Cotton Cosmo-tini, it looks awesome!!!

I am uhm-ing and ahh-ing about T-Rex, but only because people say that it is too noisy in there because the storms go off every 20mins (or something to that degree). How far were you from the seated tables?

Mickey Waffles!!! They taste even better with a side of strawberries :)
I didn't find it overly noisy. The bar area was kind of away from the crazy, but even so, the crazy didn't seem to last that long. I can't remember how far I was from the tables. Maybe I was just distracted by the Cosmo Cotton-tini!

great TR, i'm hooked :) can't wait for more.....
Jeesh, i hope our O'hana dinner is ok....we loved breakfast :)
so we are doing both Breakfast and Dinner this time...
Thanks! I'm sure you will enjoy 'Ohana...just don't be disappointed if you get less than stellar service. That seems to be the report I am hearing from a lot of people lately.

This day was spent at Universal's Islands of Adventure so this will be a non-Disney food review!

All I really wanted was a hotdog for lunch and so I took a look at what my available options were. Universal's maps have a little index in the back that tell you where to get your desired food item/type. I thought that was very convenient and made choosing a dining location much easier.

I chose to eat at Blondie's which is in Toon Lagoon. Despite the fact that I was eating at exactly noon, the place was completely empty. Well, the whole park was pretty empty that day so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

They had a choice of 4 different kinds of Nathan's hotdogs and I settled on the Slaw Dog. It came with a bag of chips and I also got a soda. The service was fast and the cashier was friendly.

f499929f.jpg

In hindsight I should have asked for this without the cheese, but it was good anyway. I just didn't think the cheese really added to the flavor and it would have been better without it. We have a really good hotdog place near where I work - it's actually going to be featured on Man vs. Food next week I think - and they have a Southern Slaw dog which is a hotdog with Chili and Coleslaw. I was thinking about that when I ordered and it wasn't what I got.

The dog was huge though and the bun was thick and soft. It was a good value overall. The chips were chips, but at least they were the "fancy" chips and not Lay's.

I don't blame you for being distracted by your cotton-tini, I'd be the same :)

Ummmmm hotdog! Looks good...now I want one :)

Mmmm Nathans dogs! I don't blame you about the cheese on them though. I'm not a huge fan of cheese flavored product smothering my food most times anyways.

I don't blame you for being distracted by your cotton-tini, I'd be the same :)

Ummmmm hotdog! Looks good...now I want one :)
I could eat hotdogs for every meal

Mmmm Nathans dogs! I don't blame you about the cheese on them though. I'm not a huge fan of cheese flavored product smothering my food most times anyways.
Yeah...and to me, that's not a "traditional" slaw dog. Oh well...

The F&W Booths were calling my name and I was pretty hungry since I didn't eat a whole lot this day.

I started on the Canada side and thought that I'd get a drink

The Bacardi Frozen Dragon Berry Colada from Puerto Rico

b9cb3e48.jpg

This was good, although you could really taste the coconut rum a little bit more than I might have liked. I did manage to finish it though :rolleyes1

For a small portion it was awful pricey, but it did last me through several more countries.

The Athens booth smelled incredible and I knew I needed to get some Spanikopita.

316f5e75.jpg

It was too crispy. It fell apart as I was trying to eat it and I ended up practically licking the crumbs off my plate. It was hot which is always a plus and something that is not always easy to find during food and wine!

I'm not much of a seafood eater, so I wasn't sure how I would like this next item.

Fisherman's Pie from Ireland

a802e7bf.jpg

This was really good! It was big chunks of Lobster and Scallops surrounded by cheesy mashed potatoes. As seen in the photo, I also grabbed a Sprite from a very cute Welsh boy at the Rose & Crown outside stand.

I enjoyed the lobster pie in the English Garden on the benches near where the British Invasion plays. They weren't playing when I was there, but there were a number of people waiting for the next set.

Paris was calling my name - I got a Parisien Cosmo Slush.

aa03a707.jpg

Yum! Alcoholy, cold and delicious. It did melt rather fast and took me a long time to drink, but I was kind of glad because it forced me to sit and relax a little bit instead of power eating through World Showcase.

I sat on a bench in Morocco to finish my Cosmo Slush and listened to Mo Rockin. When the slush was done I got a Falafel Pocket from the Marrakesh booth.

cb35999c.jpg

I did NOT like this. The salad part was fine, but the falafel balls were cold and not tasty at all. I ended up throwing this away.

Boyz II Men was playing at the American Gardens theater that night so I decided I'd watch, but I wanted a snack to take in with me.

bcfd96a2.jpg

Kaki Gori...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I got the rainbow, which I always do. My favorite is probably the tangerine, but all the flavors are great. This one must have been sitting out for a bit because the flavors were soaked all the way through. Delicious.

After Boyz II Men I left the park, stopping at the Desserts & Champagne booth on the way out of World Showcase.

I got the Strawberry Shortcake

57702edb.jpg

The strawberries were great and there was lots of real whipped cream, kudos to the Disney chefs for that one. The biscuit that came with it was a little weird. It didn't taste bad, but it had a unique flavor that I couldn't put my finger on. Some kind of spice.

I totally agree with your strawberry shortcake review. Loved the amount of fresh strawberries & that it was fresh whipped cream, but they needed a better biscuit.

A small vent: were we the only ones not to get chunks of seafood in the Fisherman's Pie?!?! :sad2:

For dinner on my first night I decided to venture to the Polynesian. I took a pleasant boat ride from MK stopping first at the Grand Floridian and then the Poly. Captain Cooks is off kind of in a corner, you'd almost have to know it was there (or look for the signs!) I find it interesting how less prominent the food courts become as you go from a Value resort to a Deluxe resort.

There was nobody in line so I went right to one of the ordering kiosks. I made my selections and then paid. They give you a buzzer and it goes off when your food is ready. I found a table inside because it was kind of chilly to be sitting outdoors. I was glad I did because not too much time later it started to pour! People were running in for cover.

I got the Aloha Pork Sandwich with Poly Chips

761e1f96.jpg

The sandwich was quite good - better than I was anticipating actually. There is an Asian slaw on the sandwich with pineapple and tomatoes and I think maybe cucumber? The bread was soft which is always a plus. None of the flavors were overpowering and it was a nice combination all together. The chips were those sweet potato chips with other tuber type things (maybe Yuca and Taro?). They tasted like Kettle chips - not very crispy but still good.

I LOVE this sandwich!

I totally agree about the strawberry shortcake, too. I also thought the biscuit was way too hard...it made it difficult to eat on the go.

Loved the Parisian Cosmo slushie, though...

I totally agree with your strawberry shortcake review. Loved the amount of fresh strawberries & that it was fresh whipped cream, but they needed a better biscuit.

A small vent: were we the only ones not to get chunks of seafood in the Fisherman's Pie?!?! :sad2:
Haha...you might have been!

I LOVE this sandwich!
Me too!

I totally agree about the strawberry shortcake, too. I also thought the biscuit was way too hard...it made it difficult to eat on the go.

Loved the Parisian Cosmo slushie, though...
My biscuit wasn't hard, just tasted funny!

I didn't want a big breakfast this morning so I opted for a Cinnamon Raisin Bagel with cream cheese and an orange juice. This is my go to breakfast at home and hit the spot. The bagel was soft and although the orange juice is pricey, it was tasty.

0910270663.jpg

I was still in my hotdog mood from the day before and had seen that Universal Studios also had a Nathan's hotdog place, so that was where I elected to go. They had the same hotdog menu as Blondie's but with french fries instead of chips (a definite plus!)

I decided on a Chicago Dog.

0910270667.jpg

I have never had a Chicago Dog before despite the fact that I am a big hotdog lover. I really liked this, but it was messy to eat. The little sport peppers kept falling off and the onions were getting everywhere. I also broke the cardinal rule of eating a Chicago Dog and I put ketchup on it :scared1: What can I say, I like ketchup! The dog and bun were the same as the one from the day before for the most part. I do wish they would toast the buns, that would add something to it.

Wow that hotdog looks good!

Loving your eating through the world update, that Fishermans pie looks and sounded yummy :) That strawberry shortcake looks delish also :)

Wow that hotdog looks good!

Loving your eating through the world update, that Fishermans pie looks and sounded yummy :) That strawberry shortcake looks delish also :)
It was good! I have been craving a Chicago Dog this week, I might have to go get one tomorrow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter