An anti-bash...

We have had many magical times at Disney. But this particular time, we had flown down a day early and stayed at an off-site motel (one of the rare times we have done that) for one night. Our son has to sleep using a Bi-Pap Machine due to his sleep apnea. When he packed the machine up the next morning, he forgot to pick up the cord. We didn't realize it until we went to our room at BWV late that evening. Without that machine, our trip would have been ruined. We called the front desk and they found a computer power cord that would work on his machine. We all slept like babies the rest of the trip thanks to the extra effort of those CM's. I'll never forget their kindness.

I honestly don't have bad memories of any DVC stays.

(well, maybe having to bring DS to local Med Office for stitches he needed after banging his head in VWL)

some magical moments for us have been just being w/ family
-the kids building sand castles w/their cousins at VWL beach.
-"stumbling" upon the fireworks of EPCOT while walking on a path at BCV with other surprised DVCers
-campfires at Vero Beach and Campfires at HH
-seeing dolphins off the beach at HH

In Epcot-we met Belle at the Princess breakfast. Later that day-several hours we met Belle and Beast and Belle remembered the names of my children.
At MK-my DD 3rd BD at Cinderallas breakfast. She still believes that she IS a Princess
-DS "driving" Jungle Boat cruise

Leave tomorrow AM for OKW. Taking my mom with us. She was with us in March at BWV. Looking forward to seeing how much she enjoys OKW as well. My parents own 3 Marriott Vacation Club properties, so I enjoy hearing her "take" on the DVC.
Be sure to come back and post what her reaction is to OKW! Of course, don't post it here if it is negetive!:p

I don't remember the specifics - just it had been a long stay at the park, my son had fallen asleep, and the bus was full. A kind, generous, thoughtful person gave me their seat on the bus home. Believe me - it made my day!

It is funny sometimes how little things can be so important sometimes. I just love starting a conversation with folks sitting near us on the buses. Everyone seems to be open to strangers when they are at WDW. Maybe that is why I don't mind the bus transportation. It is all part of the major experience for me.

al.JPG

From my trip report

We are looking forward to a great trip. We had made BadShoe.com trading pins to give to Cast Members who provide outstanding service. (see my tag, in fact click the tag and you can see some of the CM who have earned one) Al from BWV bell service is about to earn the first one given to a CM.

We are assigned room 2111 or something like that. The kid’s and I head to the room while Al tries to move the worlds most over loaded luggage cart. Entering the studio side of the two bed room Zurg breaths deeply looking around at the room…

…Ack… what is that smell? …choke… …It seems so recent... I know North Carolina Paper Mill! This is such a smoking room that the walls ooze nicotine. DS has strong allergies. We need the no smoking we made a reservation for. Zurg herds the kids out before the smell puts Blair into anaphylactic shock.

We meet Al in the hall way. He says he will see if another room is available. Never fear Al is on the mission. We remember Al from some other situation but it isn’t exactly clear yet.

We go back to the lobby and resume playing with the Bell Services stand. The guys there make balloons, long ones like the ones clowns make hats and little dogs out of. They are shooting them at a group of kids and my boys jump right in and play too.

Soon Bell services has balloons flying around the Bell desk as an army of kids try to spring them back at their attackers. I think Bell services are having more fun than the kids. They are winning too.

Al shows up with the key to a new room. 3069. Right off the elevator overlooking the drive. The kids run out on the balcony and spot Mom returning with bags of food from the store.

Up at the room Mom recognized Al from a prior trip. He had saved the day then too. The batteries in our room’s lock died. We were coming back from the pool all wet and couldn’t get in. Al had found towels to keep the kids warm while engineering figured out that with dead batteries the master key doesn’t work.

Al is the kind of guy that makes BWV work for us, happy to step in am smooth over little bumps.

Although we haven't taken our first trip yet (only 2 more weeks though!!) I have something that is very positive about all 4 of the WDW resorts:

How dang hard it was to choose my home resort!!!!

Disney did such a great job adding unique ammmenites to each resort, and each resort has its own flair...I really wanted to choose them all!

Here is why:

VWL: WL is my FAVORITE non-DVC resort, and I could go here and never see another thing at Disney and be happy. VWL is even better! I love the quiet serenity of the lobby and sitting rooms, and the grounds you can just get lost in. Add to that one of the best quiet pools around, and you really have a winner!

BCV: SAB!!! It really is a fun pool. But that isn't the only thing, although you often hear it is. On my last stay at the regular BC, one of the highlights of the trip was sitting in some chairs on the beach, watching the friendship boats go by. Also, watching IllumiNations from my Bed!! Also, the 5 minute walk to get some Fish and Chips!;)

BWV: Talk about a happening place! The actual Boardwalk area is so fun at night, but also a great place to enjoy a quiet morning with Espresso and a hot pastry! The locations is just as good as BC: Although you are a LITTLE bit further to Epcot, you are that much closer to MGM. Also, the opportunity to book those standard rooms at the 11th month window....makes for more Disney trips!!

OKW: Ahhhh, home sweet home!! I love this resort, and it did win out. Not because, as some say, it's "the one true DVC resort". They all are!! No, but OKW has such seclusion and serenity, and a feeling of a small community. Combine that with large rooms, a short trip to Comedy Warehouse or Adventurer's Club at night, and a nice low, low point cost, you can see what a great place it is!

As you can tell, I find magic in all of them and will be thrilled to stay in each one of them multiple times over the next 39 years!

Great story, Zurg! Great way to turn what could have been negetive into positive!;)

Funny you should bring it up. One night we were returning from a late dinner and heading to DTD to get a bus back to OKW when one of our party mentioned it was a shame to have to pass the resort and then wait for a bus back to it. The bus driver heard him, and told us he would take us into OKW and drop us off at the HH. His name: "Crazy Jim". Thanks for having me remember that.

I'm a fairly new member: So far as a DVC member I have enjoyed:

1 night stay at 2BR HHI (Aug 2002)--made the ressie the night before! How cool is that? We want to stay longer next time!

7night stay at the Polynesian (Aug 2002) (Incentive for buying BCV)--Awesome stay! We met our extended family--one of those trips where you want to do it all again the next year!

2 night stay at 2BR OKW (Nov 2002) Loved all that space. Loved the parking spot our front. DH and DS didn't want to leave our accomodations....

5 night stay at 2BR BCV (New Year's 2002/2003) Loved being close to EPCOT over NYE! Loved having a kitchen to make specialty coffee and breakfasts and snacks whenever we liked. Loved having a washer and a dryer when it rained and got all our clothes wet. DS invited his cousin along and had a blast. We had such a good time, we are doing it again this year! (and we bought more points...)

Upcoming ressies:
BCV 2BR 1-4 Nov :bounce:

BCV 2BR 29Dec-2Jan :Pinkbounc

BCV 2BR 20-27 Jun :bounce:

-DC :)

Since we have only had one DVC stay so far, I don't have much to comment on.

However, we arrived around noon after catching an early early flight from MSP - DH and I had been up since 4am.

I had put in a simple request, non smoking, pool view if possible. Oh, we had a studio. I didn't care too much since this was a short weekend, just thought I'd see what we could get.

Well, turns out a pool view was available and I could had gotten it, but it wasn't clean. Frankly, I was pooped. I wanted to just take a break and plop on a bed. So the CM showed me the availble studios in the whole resort and asked me if I wanted one of them. She continued to offer me the pool view one if I wanted to wait. She suggested I could go swim and cool off (it was VERY hot that weekend). Bottom line, was she was doing everything she could to make me happy.

What made me happy that time was taking a different studio, which turned out to be just fine with a surprise view of Illuminations, albeit obstructed, from the ground floor.

That CM could have just assigned me a room, but she asked me what I wanted. She said she wanted me to be happy. THAT is what makes your vacation. Being happy!

I think the DVC "WOW" factor is great too. I am sure everyone has experienced that. Our first stay in a 2 bedroom at OKW was "WOW". Our 1st stay in a GV was "WOW" (both from us and our guests)! And each time we have new guests, their reaction is "WOW"!

Glad to hear "crazy Jim" has done this for others too.

I like the positive spin of this thread, here's another one:

mc_small.JPG

Captain Jeff - Boardwalk Recreation

Jeff was recommended by his boss Kim at Boardwalk Recreation.

She was not quite right on when she recommended him. He even cooler than we were lead to believe.

Jeff is a boat captain for the firework cruise and he is way way way creative.

He themed our firework cruise into a murder mystery cruise! He showed up as a great detective and worked his crew of sleuths and suspects through a silly tale of pin collecting, jealousy, suspense and murder.

Oh yeah and corny jokes. Lots and lots of killer corny jokes.

Loads of fun and further proof that one person can take a good situation and make it outstanding!

Thanks Jeff!

dc2_small.JPG

pincard_small.JPG

Specific examples are tough. In my opinion, it is not a few big experiences that make a great vacation, but rather a conglomeration of small things. Some are very subtle, and you may not realize they took place. However, if many of these little things were missing, your vacation would be missing the Disney magic!!! :cool:

I think part of my great DVC experience is also the "WOW" factor. We took my parents with us on our first trip home in June to BCV in a 2BR. They were "wowed" by the room, the amenities, the hotel and lobby, the pool-everything. My mom kept saying how beautiful it was. They usually stay at the Contemporary (they are die-hard monorail resort fanatics).
Well, after we returned from our trip, my mom must have still been in awe. She said that she and my father enjoyed it so much that they would like to go with us again sometime. I honestly thought we wore them out, since we went in June and it was very hot(they usually go in November). They of course kept their own pace in the parks, but I thought they had had enough by the end of the trip.
She said she and my dad were so proud of my family that we were able to afford such luxurious accomodations, and they thought they were more "swanky" than the "Deluxe" resorts. I knew that we had done the right thing. It made me feel great that my parents were so proud of us, and so impressed with DVC.

Sheri

It's hard to pick just one...

The initial "wow"...do we all say that? Since we bought sight unseen, we were so amazed!

Hearing my son tell the flight attendant that we're going to "our other home" on the flight to Orlando.

Running into Community Hall during a quick downpour... the kids had so much fun that they didn't want to leave after the sun came out.

Mother's Day dinner for 8 at Olivia's then a great boat trip to DTD.

Waking to see my mom looking out over the early morning Boardwalk with a huge smile on her face.

Every single time we hear, "Welcome Home!"

Great thread, Diane. I'm getting a bit bash-weary, myself. Thanks.

Renee

Renee

I wanted to see whether an "anti-bash" meant "praise" or "bashing bashers". What a great thread!

Only one trip so far, but it was good!
Art the Greeter waiting for us at checkin just as I imagined.
The CM-in-training who gave us our room (ready at noon) just as requested!
The shriek of excitement at finding SSE right outside our window! Not to mention a room much better than I ever thought we'd be staying in...
Checking into a room, and not having to call the front desk for a missing this or broken that..., priceless!
The CM who happened down to be coming down the hallway just as I lost control of the too-many groceries I was carrying to my room, and helped me get them there.
The lovely gingerbread carousel at BC (Christmastime), which I liked much better than monstrous gingerbread store at GF.

This past Jan we were staying at OKW for marathon weekend. As we headed out at 4:00 AM to catch a bus to the marathon start. We realized we missed the bus at the stop near our room so we started to walk to the hospitality house hoping to catch it there. The bus pulled over to pick us up saying we were going to do enough walk/running today. He continued drive around picking up people wherever he saw them until the bus was full.

Later that day after the marathon I was in the hot tub and some nice children kept starting the cycle for me becasue I was too tired/sore to move myself.

Finally as I was hobbling/walking back to my room after the hot tub someone from maintenance in a golf cart offered to take me back to the room even though it was about 500 ft away.

Sabrina

We've had plenty of great experiences...

The first one that came to mind was our first stay in a 1br at BWV. We discovered that our room was not the typical 1br....but had a huge kitchen with a full dining table and an extra large living room (almost as big as OKW...but not quite). We also had a balcony that wrapped all the way around the kitchen and living room. From the kitchen/living room balcony we could see Epcot and watch Illuminations, from the bedroom balcony we had a view of MGM. One evening we actually saw fireworks from both parks (MGM was having a special showing for a private event, we later were told). It was just a great room. I've requested it for our Oct. trip....not really expecting to get it again, but I figured I'd try!

The second was last Dec. at BWV. We were in a 2br lockoff. My mom and I had stayed in that morning because my 2yo dd was still sleeping, and my step father, dh and ds went to MGM for early entry. After my dd woke up she was playing over in the studio portion of the villa that my parents had...while my mom and I were straightening up in the kitchen/living room. Suddenly my dd slams the door shut between the 2 rooms....the one with the latch on her side. So she was trapped in the studio and the balcony door was open, but the safety latch was still hooked on the hallway door....so we couldn't get in from the hallway, and the balconies did not connect either. After a few minutes of trying to talk dd into opening the door, we called for help. The housekeepers in the hall all tried to help us and also called maintenance to help get into the room. As it happened, before anyone arrived I managed to get dd to open the door. After that we made sure we had the doors both securely propped open and the safety latch off! But everyone was so concerned and helpful...it was nice to know that we had help when we needed it.

And then we had another great experience at VWL.....we were having dinner at Whispering Canyon when my dd began getting really cranky and wanted to go to bed, right after our all you can eat meal came to our table. When our server found out we were staying right there at the villas she offered to put together a platter of food that dh could bring back to the villa for me so I could take dd to bed. Dh and I had been taking turns walking her in the lobby so that we both got a chance to eat without disturbing everyone in the restaurant. We were all relieved....and the containers of food our server sent back with us ended up being plenty for dinner, as well as for snacks over the next day or two!

Oh and the last poster reminded me of the smell of chocolate in the BWV lobby for the first few days after they put up the chocolate boardwalk in the lobby after Thanksgiving! That was just wonderful!

There are certainly plenty of reasons we love DVC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter