Amtrak's Autotrain with a powerchair

DSquare

Mouseketeer
We are planning on taking the Autotrain this summer up north. I understand that the lower level of the coach car is where they book you with your power chair. Is there room enough to move around or would we be better off just to keep the power chair in the van and carry him for car to car if need be, he is still small enough and young enough where it could be done.

We are planning on taking the Autotrain this summer up north. I understand that the lower level of the coach car is where they book you with your power chair. Is there room enough to move around or would we be better off just to keep the power chair in the van and carry him for car to car if need be, he is still small enough and young enough where it could be done.

My personal experience with this is limited, but since no one else has responded yet I will share what I know.

On the trip north last Sept., my DSis and I were booked into two roomettes on one end of the car (lower level) and a middle-aged couple (he was in a power chair) were booked in the accessible room on the other end.

General boarding begins at 2:30, but a few minutes before general boarding begins an announcement is made in the station that those who need extra assistance are allowed to board. The train doesn't pull out until about 4:00 so this allows ample time to get settled in and explore the train to locate restrooms, showers (the accessible car has its own toilet, sink and shower), the lounge (snacks are served before the train leaves the station) and dining cars, and become familiar with the way the trains are arranged.

Before leaving the station you car attendant will stop and visit with you for several minutes about any special needs you have. He does this for everyone. He will explain how the things in your room work (air, call button, etc.) and, based on both my trips, will do everything he can to ensure you will be comfortable (both our car attendants -going down and coming back - were SO nice it was a pleasure to tip them). The attendant in our car delivered meals to the couple in the accessible room since the husband was unable to navigate to the dining car and it allowed the wife to dine with her husband. Before leaving Sanford he gave them the opportunity to order from the menu. Dining times are assigned when you check in at the station, but I don't know if exceptions are made for those who have meals delivered. I also don't know if the meal delivery is limited to the disabled person and one caretaker, but I would assume it might be if others in the party are able to climb the somewhat narrow stairs to the upper level and get to the dining car.

Walking through the car(s) while they are in motion can be a shaky proposition and those walking through cars will be jostled, most times gently, but sometimes not. I'm sure Amtrak doesn't want to be held liable for injuries to those who are already challenged which is likely why meals are delivered in those cases.

As with the departure, those who need extra time to get off the train will be allowed to exit first at the end of the trip.

Based on the wording of your post, I will assume the person with a power chair is a child. Before our train left Sanford, I spoke for a few minutes with the couple in the accessible room just to say hello, and was invited to look around a little. From what I remember, there was some room for the two adults to move around a bit and certainly for him to rotate/navigate the chair, but you don't say how many are in your party so I can't comment on how much space you will have. Virtual tours of accessible rooms can be seen on the Amtrak website here http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...dation_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241210576085

For more information on traveling by Auto Train, you can visit the Auto Train thread on the Transportation board here on the DIS at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=402667. If you have any other questions I will do my best to answer them. I hope this helps and that you have a wonderful experience on the Auto Train.

We are Autotrain vets, usually travelling with between 5-10 in our group, with mom in a scooter and Ds in a manual chair. I do take DS's chair onboard, there is ample room to fold it and still have room for one of the kids to stretch out on a pool float to sleep on the floor. we ask to be placed as close to the dining car as possible, DS on a good day can walk the length of 1 car and so can Mom. In the morning, when he is not as mobile, the car attendent brings us a breakfast of bagels, milk, juice, cereal and fruit. they are only supposed to serve the disabled person and a companion, but when our group is small they usually bring enough for all. If your child is small you should be able to navigate the narrow stairs and walkways. Many parents carry small children up and down the stairs. you can have a lengthy wait at both ends of your trip, and wheelchairs go fast, it is really nice to have your own available. Bring blankets and pillows onboard with you. A yoga mat is great to put on the floor in the small space for kids to curl up on, leaving the double seat for the adults. There is a small "ladies lounge" at the end of the restroom hall that has a counter with 2 stools and sinks along with a small restroom that I commandeer for DS to be able to sit and freshen up in the mornings. Don't know why it is only for ladies?!? the H/C restroom is just large enough for a large W/C but may be easier to just carry your child there. Feel free to ask any other questions.

I'm an Auto train vet too with a power chair (a rear wheel drive Quickie V-121).

In "coach section" you get the Lower Coach seats on the first floor where the bathrooms are. It is just a section where you can park your chair and sit facing the rows of seats in the car. When you step out of the seat area there's a small passageway with one handicapped stall and 3-4 regular "airplane size" stalls.

Downside to coach is that you have to sit in a chair all night. It gets very uncomfortable after a while. (The journey is 18+ hours.)

In the "sleeper cabin" you can get a Handicapped Sleeper. This is located on the bottom level and takes up the entire width of the car at the tail end. It has seats on one side and a commode/sink on the other (window to window). The seats face each other and convert to bunkbeds at night. A mattress pulls down from the ceiling and the seats slide down into one another.

Outside the sleeper cabin are the regular bathrooms. The passageway is wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair though turning around inside the sleeper with the door closed can take finesse.

We prefer the sleepers now. Amtrak offers them at a slight discount. It is certainly easier on my back and bottom to stretch out and lie down.

All your meals (dinner and breakfast) will be brought down to you. You cannot go upstairs to the Dining Car or Lounge. There are no lifts or elevators, just a set of very narrow stairs.

I always bring my powerchair because it is safer for me to navigate the train in that than on my unsteady feet. The tracks are very rough and you'll get a lot of jostling during your trip.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think we will end up just keeping the powerchair in the van. Luckily he is still small enough we can carry him.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think we will end up just keeping the powerchair in the van. Luckily he is still small enough we can carry him.

glad we could help!. We love it when they arrange the cars with the lounge, coach car and the dining car in that order. It makes it easy for DS to go to dinner and then go watch the movie in the lounge car without having to walk more than 1/2 a car length. couple other tips, bring jammies for the little ones, and flip flops and lysol wipes for the restrooms in the night, they can get kinda gross. there are electrical outlets at the seats, so bring the electronics. We bring a small bag of snacks and water, you can get them onboard, but they are pricey and limited selection. Don't know your kids ages but if one is older they can order 2 of the kids meals at dinner if they are still hungry (portions are small) my DS is ASD and even thou he is 20 now, he will only eat the kids meals. the staff is great with him. Make friends with the car attendent, he/she will be very helpful if you are friendly. We usually tip for great service when we disembark. If your child has any social issues, don't be afraid to ask when you check in if they can keep your car (12 lower seats) as empty as possible. On most of our trips we have the space to our group only. Make sure your vehicle is marked as H/C when you check in, that way it will be driven to a seperate area when you arrive to give you extra time to get going. Have a great trip!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter