Amtrak - What am I missing?

prices depend on the route and how you want to travel (coach seat or room).
I have a thread about train travel on the transportation board that has many pages of comments on what people spend and why.
For me flying is not an option I will do!! I couldn't think of driving 24 hours in my car either-since the price of gas and the exhaustion would make it a nightmare:headache:
We LOVE the train trip!!:headache:

I have always flown to Disney, but this year we are taking Amtrak. The RT train ride is costing me $300 (2 adults, 2 kids) , but going through Southwest would cost over $1000. It is a much longer train ride, but it is an overnighter for us, so we will still be getting there around the same time if we would have done the direct flight. I just cannot see why airfare costs more for me here in Raleigh, NC than it does for others much farther away! Southwest has lost a customer unless they come up with some better rates.

...I've priced out trips from our home station of Houston to a variety of locations, and most are much more expensive or very close to the same as airfare for the same trip.

You are in a difficult place for train travel. Can't get to Orlando that way b/c the Sunset Limited now stops in New Orleans (it used to go through before the hurricane). So you're routed all over the place. If the SL route went all the way through, I'm sure it would be faster and cheaper!

And that's the only scheduled route I saw that goes through, so everything else is likely a mish-mosh of routes for you.

It s also great in coastal California between San Luis Obispo and San Diego, with Anaheim in the middle.

I love the Surfliner. :) Of course being dropped off in the parking lot of Angels Stadium is a bit odd, but it works!

Well.. for us it is cheaper..one way about $65 from Alb to Fullerton..

You're right on that main route (Southwest Chief?), lucky duck!

I recently got a GREAT deal on the Coast Starlight from Tacoma to San Jose; it was hundreds less than a semi-last-minute plane ticket. It took 24 hours and I barely slept all night (couldn't afford a roomette) but I saw some absolutely beautiful snow scenery (snow-covered Dunsmuir at 2am will haunt my dreams forever) so it was worth it. And there were two other groups just in my car alone that were traveling for the same reason (funeral of a loved one), so it was an interesting journey.

Most of the time, however, that train is FAR more than the plane, so it's just not worth it.

Your not alone. I haven't been able to figure it out also. I've priced out many trips on auto train and no matter how I price it, its always less expensive to purchase round trip non stop flights and rent a mid size car then it would be to schlep our way down on the auto train. So I've never done it.

I took the autotrain last year and loved it. It was my daughter and I. We did not go to Disney, but rather Sarasota. The autotrain lets you off about a half hour fro0m Disney. Kids go for half price and if you are taking your car it is worth it. You do not have to rent a roomette. For me when I consider parking my car at the airport, renting a car when I'm there it works out better. Yes, it takes longer, but you can pack as much as you like without baggage charges. The autotrain leaves at 4 and arrives by 9:30 AM. We actually arrived at 8:30 going down and 7:30 coming back.

This year we are cruising and going down a couple days early to do two parks and then after heading to Sarasota.

It is not about the saving's, for many it is the convience and exoperiance. two years ago dh, dd and I flew down met the son, dil and dgs that went Auto Train out of Lorton MD or VA. To Sanford (disney), They had a two bed, room/bath in it.

Took the van, had as much as we wanted a car for the week and then drove home. That was okay, but Idid not liked the losing a day and sleep over on the way home.BUT I did get to stop at a lot of Race tracks, South of the Border, tons of shops.

PRICELESS was the thrill my grandson. He still talks about the trip.

So the AAA discount, the use of the car and all the luggage needs was worth the bit extra spent.

I recently priced for jollies, a Monday, two rooms, the van 3 adults and 2 children and the cost was under $1,000. But then we would drive home.
I think I would like to do it when the days are light enough to enjoy, have a great meal, enjoy the bliss of the kids, and then have the car.

Another factor in bringing the price down is booking as early as possible. I think you can book up to 11 months in advance of your trip and that brings the price down *significantly*.

We took the AutoTrain to Disney last month. I booked it 9 months out, and with my AAA discount, it was $1100 rt (2 adults, 4 kids, oversize vehicle, coach seats). When I booked it, airfare was cheaper-but by Feb, it was not. I don't fly and we wanted our truck to use anyhow.

I think a lot of the train pricing depends on where you live-here on the east coast, we have many routes, but for me to take a train to Houston (where OP is I believe) it would be mega-more expensive than flying.

Just for fun, I priced out a trip on Amtrak from Milwaukee to Orlando. In early May, it would be $335 per person round trip! The total time it would take to get there is over 22 hours!

That is absolutely ridiculous.

You are in a difficult place for train travel. Can't get to Orlando that way b/c the Sunset Limited now stops in New Orleans (it used to go through before the hurricane). So you're routed all over the place. If the SL route went all the way through, I'm sure it would be faster and cheaper!

And that's the only scheduled route I saw that goes through, so everything else is likely a mish-mosh of routes for you.

I love the Surfliner. :) Of course being dropped off in the parking lot of Angels Stadium is a bit odd, but it works!

You're right on that main route (Southwest Chief?), lucky duck!

I recently got a GREAT deal on the Coast Starlight from Tacoma to San Jose; it was hundreds less than a semi-last-minute plane ticket. It took 24 hours and I barely slept all night (couldn't afford a roomette) but I saw some absolutely beautiful snow scenery (snow-covered Dunsmuir at 2am will haunt my dreams forever) so it was worth it. And there were two other groups just in my car alone that were traveling for the same reason (funeral of a loved one), so it was an interesting journey.

Most of the time, however, that train is FAR more than the plane, so it's just not worth it.

Well..we have to drive 3 1/2 hours to get to Alb to board the train..so not so close :) We could take the route from El Paso... Sunset Limited?.. but they have a very weird schedule..only three days a week..plus you have to go all the way into LA and then take another train to Anaheim..but I'm taking that route for the Expo.
The biggest thing for me isn't the cost it's that I HATEHATEHATE to fly, so it kinda ruins my trip worrying about the stupid plane the whole time...thus..I haven't returned to WDW since we drove or taken a cruise.. :(. Even drugged..I hate it.

Another factor in bringing the price down is booking as early as possible. I think you can book up to 11 months in advance of your trip and that brings the price down *significantly*.

:thumbsup2
Yes..AMTRAK works on a bucket system, where they first sell at a lower price then it goes up..alot..although, oddly, I was pricing out another trip..I always book right at 11 months out, and I checked my upcoming August trip and for some odd reason it had gone down and was quite alot CHEAPER..roomettes..so, I called and they adjusted the price and credited my CC $256.00...I don't think an airline would ever do that .

I can't believe the difference everyone has with Amtrak. I was curious so I went and priced a trip to WDW for May for 2 adults and 3 kids. The fact that Amtrak's kids tickets are half price helps alot, and I have AAA so thats another 10% off.
I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend 24 hours in a coach seat, but its definitely an affordable option compared to flying.
Amtrak coach $774.90
Amtrak (2 sleeper cars each way) 2140.00
Jet Blue $2147.00

Then I priced our Spring Break trip to Williamsburg for a week in May
Amtrak $522.00 (no sleeper)
Flight $1600

I can't believe the difference everyone has with Amtrak. I was curious so I went and priced a trip to WDW for May for 2 adults and 3 kids. The fact that Amtrak's kids tickets are half price helps alot, and I have AAA so thats another 10% off.
I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend 24 hours in a coach seat, but its definitely an affordable option compared to flying.
Amtrak coach $774.90
Amtrak (2 sleeper cars each way) 2140.00
Jet Blue $2147.00

Then I priced our Spring Break trip to Williamsburg for a week in May
Amtrak $522.00 (no sleeper)
Flight $1600

Well I can tell you from my New Haven - Atlanta train ride in a coach seat for 25 hours that you are unlikely to get much sleep on an overnight train. At least on the route I rode, it stops about every hour or more, and there is no way to sleep thru the screeching brakes, announcements of the stops, talking people around you, etc.

All those hours of discomfort and extra travel time have a price, and to me, it would have been more cost/time/comfort effective to have flown in spite of the extra $500 it would have cost.

I think Amtrak is convenient. Our airport is super small. I can drive 3.5 hours to catch a cheaper flight in charlotte or drive 3.5 hours to an amtrak station. For our DC trip, we lost 3 hours each way compared to driving but we didn't have a car to park at $18 per day, had half of the gas expense and I didn't have to drive in DC traffic! I took a nap, it was awesome lol

For our NYC trip, we got the mastercard with rewards so our tickets are free. I'm paying $66 for my DD's ticket. Air tickets are $207 pp. Time in air is much less than time in train but we don't have to pay for airport food (you can bring food on a train), airport parking and we won't have to pay for airport transfers. AND BIG THING HERE - you can take all kinds of luggage on Amtrak free which helps with a little one.

Plus its fun to see the scenes. I agree, it's an experience.

Amtrak has specials too that you need to keep an eye out for. One year my 2 girls and I took the train from Chicago to Disney (via Washington DC). They had a kids ride free special going on at that time. That was a really cheap trip for us. The kids did great and really enjoyed it!

Another time I went from Chicago to Emeryville, CA (to Berkeley) for about $160. They had a Rail Sale for $80 each way! Yes, it took parts of 3 days, but the scenery was beautiful and I had the time (it was summer).

Check out the "Deals" tab on the website. They have weekly deals plus advertised specials. The kids ride free deal i got was an advertised deal. The Berkeley trip was a rail sale deal.

Maggie

Well I can tell you from my New Haven - Atlanta train ride in a coach seat for 25 hours that you are unlikely to get much sleep on an overnight train. At least on the route I rode, it stops about every hour or more, and there is no way to sleep thru the screeching brakes, announcements of the stops, talking people around you, etc.

All those hours of discomfort and extra travel time have a price, and to me, it would have been more cost/time/comfort effective to have flown in spite of the extra $500 it would have cost.

Oh I agree, we are taking the train for 7 hours, dh wanted a sleeper but they aren't available for that route. He has taken the train from New Orleans to NY, and he said never again!! If I could afford it, I would definitely fly over taking a 24 hour train trip, but some people can't afford the extra $1000+ it may cost so they may feel differently. Of course, it will probably be the last time they decide to do that though :laughing:

This definitely seems to depend on location! Wow, the prices seem all over the place.

OP here. Thanks so much for all of your responses. It's amazing to see the wide range of experiences, and I can see that your location and destination are big factors in the usefulness of trains as transportation!

It just goes to show that you have to do the research and know your options based on your own circumstances. I was worried I had been missing out on this great thing, but it turns out that for us we'd really just have to want to experience the train ride. There are no benefits in terms of economics or time. Luckily, we're in an area that is good for air travel and none of us mind to fly!

Thanks again, everybody - It's been an interesting discussion to follow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter