• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amtrak Auto Train

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
Is anyone familiar with the Amtrak Auto Train that runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL? We are thinking about using it one way to come home from Disney rather than driving back. We were going to go with coach seats rather than a private sleeper car. It will be DH, DD3.5 and me.

How was it? How were the coach seats? Were you able to get a little sleep? Is there a dining car? I think they recently changed the dining so there is a charge for the food if you are only paying coach. Is it pretty easy to get up, stretch and move around the cars?

We used the Auto train a few years ago and it had good and not so good points to it. Overall the whole experience was a pleasant advneture for our family, but I am not sure we would do it again.

We did coach seats. One thing I did not prepare for was the weird feeling of sleeping with stranger all around and moving about. It bothered me as far as our kids were concerned and made me sleep lightly.

Rails are rough at night...I swear it felt like we had gone off the tracks numerous times it got so rough and the train rocked so violently...be prepared for that.

The food and dining was a real highlight and very pleasant. Double check the change with the food. Coach pays for food on all other trains, but the auto train was different - food included for all. I would really question the value without the included food offererings (snack when you board, dinner and wine, snacks with the movie, and breakfast in the morning).

My DH is worried about DD3.5 wandering away while I sleep but I am a light sleeper and if I sit on the outside, that would block her in. I am also considering putting a leash on her that I will hold...I don't like them so please don't flame me, but in this case, I will feel better if I feel a tug because she is trying to crawl under the seat while I am asleep.

By the way, can a child crawl underneath the seats or underneath your leg rest and escape?

We used the Auto train a few years ago and it had good and not so good points to it. Overall the whole experience was a pleasant advneture for our family, but I am not sure we would do it again.

We did coach seats. One thing I did not prepare for was the weird feeling of sleeping with stranger all around and moving about. It bothered me as far as our kids were concerned and made me sleep lightly.

Rails are rough at night...I swear it felt like we had gone off the tracks numerous times it got so rough and the train rocked so violently...be prepared for that.

The food and dining was a real highlight and very pleasant. Double check the change with the food. Coach pays for food on all other trains, but the auto train was different - food included for all. I would really question the value without the included food offererings (snack when you board, dinner and wine, snacks with the movie, and breakfast in the morning).

This exactly sums up our first experience with Amtrak (one way KIS-PHL) back in June. We may try Amtrak again or opt for the autotrain but we'd be sure to get two of the private rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter